Poll

Whose EP is the best?  

Elite
Parama
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Train of Naught
twosuitsluke

Author Topic: Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette  (Read 67365 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 6 HANGMAN Y'ALL!
« Reply #630 on: February 25, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
dracovallis

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #631 on: February 27, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »
Inb4 results when? Sometime next week :P

But for real though, when?  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #632 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:04 AM »
Let's say Friday. It may change to Saturday if I go home for the weekend but probably no.   
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 6 LISTENING!
« Reply #633 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
seven point five days from now

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 6 LISTENING!
« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2017, 01:16:39 PM »
Here they are, finally! This was hard round to score because of its consistency so there are no big differences again and standings are almost the same :lol

Round 6 Results

Scar: Dracovallis - The Summoning

I already feel bad for scoring you the lowest again but can’t do anything about it. This song is, in short, generic epic metal song. Other than that, it’s (almost) instrumental, and I usually don’t get into them easily. Actually, this has some choir chanting but that’s usually miss for me. It starts very nice but it lose its potential pretty fast with that choir. However, not to be negative, this is still a good song, there are some dope riffs, like the one at the 2:45, and it’s used again later in the song. Too bad there’s no longer solo based on it. That part with strings and bass is cool as well (until choir doesn’t come in).
I would maybe listen to this kind of song while studying if I’m bored with that atmospheric stuff I sometimes listen to but I wouldn’t listen to it on regular basis.

6.5/10

Scorpion: UneXpect - Unfed Pendulum

Oh, Scorp, I feel so bad about this… but I can’t help it. I have to be honest, on my first listen I didn’t get this song at all. It grew on me but not enough to get a decent score. There are parts of it that are great but also parts I don’t like. At the moments it’s just too weird for me to get into it. My favorite part is that ‘breakdown’ and short guitar solo around 5:00. I feel like I will stumble upon this again sometimes and kick myself for not loving it from beginning. Again, it’s not bad at all, just weird, can’t fully get into it.

7/10

Sacul: Hooverphonic - 2wicky

So I got a trip-hop from you, what a surprise :P This song was one of the hardest to score because it’s not that I don’t like it but I don’t think I would ever listened to it more than once if I didn’t had to for this roulette. Actually, that was a good thing, it grew on me with multiple listens (as always). There’s classic trip-hop beat and bass riff throughout the song which of course add to the trippiness. Another repetitive thing is that cool guitar riff in the second part of the song. But to me, the most interesting thing is the girl’s voice. If there was someone else instead of her, I think I would like the song less. Her timbre definitely makes the song even more atmospheric.
As I said, the song is ok but I don’t think I will listen to it anymore, maybe if I decide to really get deep into trip-hop but with amount of music that’s on my wishlist right now, I don’t think that’s likely to happen soon :P

7/10

Luoto: Anthriel - Haven of Grace

You can probably guess the first thing this song made me think of was Symphony X. I like them very much but similarity can be double-edged sword in some situations because of comparisons I (unwillingly) made. I love how piano is subtly used in heavier parts of the song and, with some of guitar riffs (4:17 :metal), it’s my favorite thing about this song. Singer voice is very good in lower register but unfortunately I don’t like his higher voice most of the time.
I have hard time writing about this song, maybe because of the same reason why I didn’t give it higher score. I feel like I heard it all somewhere before, it’s not very original. But it’s pretty good song nevertheless.

7.5/10

twosuitsluke: Chthonic - Supreme Pain for the Tyrant

Yeah, this is the heaviest song you sent so far. I think I actually heard of them in some other roulette, their name is pretty specific :P but I never heard them before. It’s heavy from the beginning, drum fills are especially sick, and of course that growl is very distinctive. But to be honest, I wouldn’t like this song this much if there weren’t nods of Asian music with their instruments (I believe there are more than one or do it sound different played with bow and plucked?). I would like if it was used even more often and I’m ready to check them out further if those instruments are used. And about concept of the song and video, that’s sick :metal: I saw the press said China is afraid of singer due to his political views after he was elected :tup
This song is really really great but I can’t score it higher, maybe I’m just not in the mood for something so heavy these days so I had hard time fully getting into it but, as I said, I’m ready to check them out further.

7.5/10

home: Sleep Party People - Change in Time

As I said to you, I was aware of this band even before this thanks to Spotify’s Discover Weekly. They recommended me their I’m Not Human At All and I saved it on one of my playlist (Discoveries) and sometimes when I’m bored I listen to those. All three songs I heard from them really fit the name of the band :lol it’s the music to relax and chill and I guess you have to be in certain mood to listen to them. This one (and Shadow Ninja’s song) were my favorites to listen to after I came from lecture tired and wanted to just chill.
As I said to you in PM on first impression, I just love that keyboard tone (not just in this song but everywhere I hear it). You scored with this song once again, I love when the song is this atmospheric and emotional. This is the music for which saying it makes me sleep is a positive thing. My favorite part of the song is that noisy part at the end, especially the thick bass and swirling keys.

8/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Sleep Party People - Floating Blood of Mine

Figured that just sending you a bunch of depressing stuff would get kind of old.
-.-

(Check home’s song write-up for intro facts :P)

Right from the beginning this one reminded me of Myth by Beach House Scar sent in round 2, really dreamy song. I love that atmospheric bass line that goes on for the almost whole song. Singer’s voice is very weird but I can’t really imagine what would fit better with this music and it especially shows in chorus, everything just match wonderfully. Don’t know if you knew I like voice samples in songs but I would prefer they weren’t here because I don’t feel they add anything to the song but it’s fine.
Definitely will check this band further. P.S. I like this song a little more than Change in Time :P (sorry home)

8/10

Evermind: Avatarium - Lady in the Lamp

When you said this is female fronted doom metal I expected something very different, like old school doom in vein of Candlemass with female operatic vocals. I'm so glad this is nothing like it. I don't know what they usually sound like, maybe more to similar to what I described than to this song you sent. But I'll figure it in time, this is going on my list to check out. Playing in this song is nothing weird, classic slightly distorted guitar, cool bass and drumming and it successfully fits the song. After all, it's singer in the spotlight here. And she is really awesome, her voice is really warm and nice to listen to but also very powerful later in the song. My favorite part of the song is the climax, when she belts out that 'OooOooh' and guitar solo after it. Firsts part of the solo is very Gilmourish and later it gets into shredding territory, not a bad thing here because it sounds great. It is actually one of my favorite solos I got so far in this roulette.
Yeah, this is a great song, nothing bad about it, it just lacks wow factor to get higher score. Still, I think this is more than decent (because 7.5 is decent :P ).

8/10

Parama: Aenaon - Oneirodynia

Name of this song reflects how weird it is :P. Never heard of them before but I knew it was heavy because you said it, nothing else. It escalates quickly, after quiet acoustic intro there are blast beats, growls and heavy riffs, that scared the shit out of me. First thing this reminded me of is Primordial but there is some jazzy sax and that alone makes it better than anything from Primordial I heard before. In fact, I love that bit with saxophone and (almost) spoken vocals. Other thing that reminded me of Primordial is singer’s voice, don’t know maybe it’s just me but it seems pretty similar. And there’s something cool about it, like he’s going into it with everything he’s got which give epic results.
You are pretty much the most consistent participant in this roulette, you never failed but you never hit 8.5 or 9 either. Well, this was pretty close and it’s (with The Apologist, can’t decide which is better) your best entry so far.

8/10

Elite: Anciients - The Longest River

This band was on my radar for quite some time, especially after they released the new album in 2016 and some of you were playing songs off it on plug.dj. So I was kinda ready for it and I knew what to expect and I got what I’ve expected. I remember that on my first listen I got Mastodon fell from it. There’s nothing that makes me go: ‘Mastodon ripoff!’ or something like it but it hear something in riffing and structure that makes me think of Mastodon. And that’s always good thing for me, I love Mastodon. Another clear influence is Metallica. Again, there are no similar riffs but there’s something in this song. So, I can imagine myself getting into this stuff. Riffs are absolutely bone-crushing, supported by heavy drumming and everything sound really huge. The only thing that will take some time to get into, I feel, are the vocals. I don’t dislike them but I don’t love them either.
Really great song, it was my favorite of the round on first listen, too bad it didn’t grow on me even more.

8/10

Train of Naught: Rishloo - Just a Ride

This is one of the bands I expected to get, especially after Karnivool scoring pretty high in last round. I know both of those bands are compared to Tool but fortunately neither of those two songs I heard reminded me of Tool. Even though this song feels very emotional, I didn’t cry my guts out to it :lol I just love this kind of songs and I guess you realized it after Fair to Midland and Karnivool getting high scores. This progressive but not wanky music is really my thing lately so keep it coming. I can’t even describe why I like this song but I do, very much :P There is just something about it, combination of music and his voice that leaves emotional impact. And it is pretty catchy, as well.
Once again, you are the winner of the best song of the round title :tup you can choose your bonus.
8.5/10

STANDINGS:
1. Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 48.5 + 1 = 49.5
2. home - 48
2. Train of Naught - 48
4. Elite - 47.00001
5. Parama - 46.5
6. Luoto - 46
6. twosuitsluke - 46
8. Evermind - 45
8. Sacul - 45
10. Scorpion - 43
11. Scar - 41.5
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:33:37 PM by Tomislav95 »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 6 RESULTS!
« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Oh another 7, nice.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #636 on: March 03, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
7.5 out of 8

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #637 on: March 03, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
It's always 7.5 :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #638 on: March 03, 2017, 05:05:43 PM »
I'm never gonna catch up to train and kick him out of the top 3 at this rate

Gotta pull out

A bad song and score 9/10

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #639 on: March 04, 2017, 02:42:05 AM »
Awesome, glad you liked :angel: Fair to Midland prompted me to send this yeah, don't really see the Karnivool comparison but I've heard it before

I'm probably going with the two-song bonus but I have to check my options first.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #640 on: March 04, 2017, 03:05:34 AM »
You don't have a lot of options. ha!

Glad you liked it. Now, how many people in the EP round? I need to be in there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #641 on: March 04, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
Now, how many people in the EP round? I need to be in there.
I decided to let 4 people in after all, the more the merrier.
I should write EP rules soon but I think there won't be anything weird or different than in other roulettes.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
So with the one-two punch bonus, is the length limit of the two sogns combined still 12 minutes, or 24?

I still have one opportunity to send a long song anyway but I'd like to save that in case I want to send an epic for the last round.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #643 on: March 04, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
So with the one-two punch bonus, is the length limit of the two sogns combined still 12 minutes, or 24?

I still have one opportunity to send a long song anyway but I'd like to save that in case I want to send an epic for the last round.
I think I originally meant 12 minutes but that seems stupid now :P Make it reasonable and I'll save you 12+ minutes song for the last round.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #644 on: March 04, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Sweet. I already just sent you on Spotify and the songs I picked don't even reach 12 minutes so it's fine anyway.

Unless you have to reject the submission :corn

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #645 on: March 04, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
Sent

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #646 on: March 04, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
Sweet. I already just sent you on Spotify and the songs I picked don't even reach 12 minutes so it's fine anyway.

Unless you have to reject the submission :corn
Something happened to my Spotify client, there's no messages icon so I can't reply there :eek but I found a way to read your message and you don't need to resend, I don't remember it at all :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #647 on: March 04, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
i sent for round 7.5

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 6 RESULTS! SEND FOR ROUND 7!
« Reply #648 on: March 05, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
Don't want to repeat a mistake from last round, I'd like to remind you to send as soon as possible :biggrin:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: March 05, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Yep, I'll probably send tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #650 on: March 05, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
Nice! About what I expected based on your first impressions  :azn:

I'll also probably send tomorrow, already picked an artist but still need to decide on a song.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: March 05, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
i already did send, and it's a classic. gonna get 7.5/10 like a pro

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #652 on: March 05, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Sent a roulette nightmare.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: March 05, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
wow, i can;t believe it, you sent me in song form

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #654 on: March 05, 2017, 02:12:52 PM »
wow, i can;t believe it, you sent me in song form

Except I had to resend ::)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #655 on: March 05, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
what was it  :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #656 on: March 05, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
It was a song off the latest Thrawsunblat album. They're sort of a Woods of Ypres spin-off so it figures he had checked it out :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #657 on: March 05, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
Actually, it was Parama - 7.5

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #658 on: March 05, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
dammit i was planning on sending that in round 8/10

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »
Sent for another 7.5!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #660 on: March 07, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
Replaced it with one of the oldest songs I've sent in a roulette.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #661 on: March 07, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
I'm planning to send tomorrow, just badger me if I forget  :biggrin:

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #662 on: March 07, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
Just sent trough Spotify, sorry for the delay
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #663 on: March 07, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
Just sent trough Spotify, sorry for the delay
Check your PMs here.

Does anyone else miss messages icon in Spotify? :huh:
EDIT: It looks like soon it won't be possible to send messages through Spotify at all. Weird choice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:27:37 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #664 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:07 PM »
It looks like soon it won't be possible to send messages through Spotify at all. Weird choice.
What the fuck? That's one of its best features...