Poll

Whose EP is the best?  

Elite
Parama
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Train of Naught
twosuitsluke

Author Topic: Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette  (Read 67151 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS: Crazy Ira and The Douche!
« Reply #1260 on: May 07, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
EDIT: did luke beat shadow ninja by 0.02 points? :lol
Yes :lol
I was serious when I said all of you are close ;D

BTW I hope you won't get mad if I don't do post remaining two write-ups today :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i got saved so hard by the flow on my EP  :lol
also heck yeah mob mentality is great

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
At least two 8.5's left if I recall correctly, damn. I didn't think I'd be top 2 to be honest,

Well, to be honest, neither did I. Damn.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Yea I'll take that. I really like the DMM song as an intro leading into the Earthside song. I spent a bit of time trying to segue from Dommin to John Frusciante. I personally like the Black Mages interlude (obviously) but I can see why it maybe didn't work for you. That's a shame and I am kicking myself as a better interlude (or leaving this out altogether) may have got me the win  :tdwn

Definitely check out Earthside's debut, it's incredible. In regards to Dommin, these songs are taken from their debut (which is the only album I've heard) vocally he is massively influenced by Glenn Danzig so if you like it maybe check out a few Danzig albums (I'd suggest starting with Danzig II: Lucifuge) as well.

I love the John Frusciante album these two songs come from, so definitely start there.  I'm only getting around to checking out the rest of his solo stuff myself at the moment, so can't really recommend another album. Cheers for having me dude. I feel I performed a pretty good comeback after a shaky start.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS #4: Pray for me...
« Reply #1264 on: May 07, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »
I hope you won't hate me after this, sorry :P

yes i hate you now

Nah man, it's cool. Kinda surprised you didn't care for most of it, but that happens. Glad I sent some stuff you liked!

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS #2 and #1 :soon:
« Reply #1265 on: May 08, 2017, 05:49:41 AM »
Hey, guys, are you ready for this :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS #2 and #1 :soon:
« Reply #1266 on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:52 AM »
Just put me oit of my misery BOIIIII  :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS #2 and #1: The End?
« Reply #1267 on: May 08, 2017, 06:54:13 AM »
Elite: The EP of Death v. Tom is a Lion, These Songs Don't Fit Together and This Title Doesn't Make Any Sense Whatsoever

Euzen – The Stage

Your songs are the hardest to do the write-ups for :lol There is literally nothing I listen that is similar to this. Intro is really weird, I was wtf at the first. Later, I wasn’t too weirded with it :P The piano part is nice and singer’s voice is a little unusual but that’s what makes this song better IMO, especially those gritty parts. Bad thing about it is that it doesn’t really go anywhere and it is a little weird for me but it sets the right mood for this EP, definitely.

7/10 (#26/40)

Chelsea Wolfe – Carrion Flowers

I remember I was checking some of her songs out before because I knew some of you liked her so I wanted to hear what’s all fuss about. And right away I knew it wasn’t for me. Now, when I was actually “forced” to listen to it, it grew on me. Another weird intro, it fits the theme. It is weird how heavy music can sound without having heavy guitars and drums, this is very punchy and dark. I don’t love this but I’m interested to check her music again because it is interesting and not like anything I know.

7/10 (#22/40)

maudlin of the Well – Gleam in Ranks

Ok, by now I was sure the theme of this EP was ‘the weird shit’ :lol and I’m surprised you went that way because most of the music I listen to is pretty straightforward. However, I’m glad you sent some of this stuff because, as I said, I had to listen to them many times and that way I couldn’t give up after just one listen. On the other hand, this is just too weird for me and not memorable at all. There is nothing about it I can remember :-/ There are some cool part but as a whole, I don’t really like it that much.

6.5/10 (#34/40)

In the Mourning – The Smoke

This one is pretty much the most “normal” song of the bunch, or should I say straightforward, nothing weird about it (to someone who knows melodeath). Every time I heard that part with china cymbal I had Devin Townsend singing “balls…balls…balls…” in my head :lol (can’t remember where he does it). The Smoke is one of the most headbangable song of the round, not just because it is heavy but because it is possible to headbang to it :P In contrast to the heavy part there is calm part with cleans in the middle which is actually my favorite, I like his voice and emotions in it. Actually, whole song is very emotional even though it is pretty brutal.
I’m not that big of a fan of melodeath anymore/at the moment but this is well done.

7.5/10 (#15/40)

Mr. Bungle - The Air-Conditioned Nightmare

This is where it gets interesting. When I saw you sent this, I was like: "oh, no"! You played one of their songs on plug.dj and it was weird and awful :P I’m only getting into Faith No More and Mike Patton is one of the people I want to like so this came in right time. I knew this was going to be weird and funky (I can’t stand funk most of the time) but I went into it open-minded. And it didn’t do anything to me until recently when it finally hit me. First part is just good, with call and response singing (or whatever :lol ). My favorite is latter part, really cool, catchy and emotional.
It is really hard to say why I love it but I do ;D My favorite out of your weird songs.

8.5/10 (#6/40)

Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act

My first reaction was: whoooah! I hear they don’t restrain themselves from playing some wanky riffs. Obviously, I heard of them before but never properly checked them because they sounded a bit too happy for me :P This song reminded me of Haken and Coheed & Cambria. I’m not fan of brass instruments but here they work very well, especially when playing same thing as guitar. It’s hard to pick one favorite part but let’s say it’s the chorus, you know how much I love catchy choruses.
I’m looking forward to checking this out, sounds very interesting. I never heard anything like this before.

8.5/10 (#5/40)

Jolly - Where Everything's Perfect

This is the one that got in because I heard Ihsahn and you had to replace it, right. I’m glad you didn’t replace it with something more similar to Ihsahn because it would be too crazy. Where Everything's Perfect is perfect closer for an album like this, I think, to make it breathe a little after all that craziness. I have this album on my wishlist since I saw them on your (I guess) top 50 list but that was a while ago and I didn’t hear anything since then. That piano at the beginning is my favorite piano tone, gives it jazzy feel. I like how music is different to the vocals for the most part. It is almost metal-y and voice is kinda jazzy and emotional. All in all, this was an interesting song, looking forward to hear more.

8/10 (#10/40)

Flow: I know your EP's name is "These Songs Don't Fit Together" but I think they actually do, for the most part. There are some flaws but it flows nicely, no big complaints.
4/10

TOTAL EP SCORE: 18.93/25 + 4/5 = 22.93/30

OVERALL SCORE: 63+22.93 = 85.93

Even though I didn't love some of the songs on your EP, last three made up for it and made your EP 2nd best.
Your way through this roulette was a bumpy road and you barely made it into the finals but you didn't send bad song (well, Gleam in Ranks is closest to it but still not bad). You definitely sent the most weird stuff so it's interesting David Bowie got you through :P I know I rated Come On Down the best but actually the two 8.5s on the EP may be my two favorite songs you sent. Great way to close roulette. There's also some other stuff I'm looking forward to check like Astronoid. Thanks for playing.

Train of Naught: Stays Crunchy, Even In Milk!

Giant Squid - Sixty Foot Waves

I think I said that to you, I heard Giant Squid before (songs from some other album) and, for some unknown reason, I forgot about them even though I liked them. So I knew what to expect. Anyways, this is definitely traincore (as the whole album is) and I think traincore and tomicore have many same elements :lol Backbone of the song is that bass line and I always like that. It is not in the way of the guitar or vocals but it’s definitely there, rocking in the background. I think that other songs I heard had, to me, better guitar tone. This could sound sludgier IMO.
So yeah, I like the song but it is a little weird and it get boring fast. That reflects on the score (thinking about it now, I was maybe a little too harsh).

7/10 (#28/40)

Giant Squid – Mycenaeans

Another song by Giant Squid, it is pretty much the same style, nothing too interesting but good nevertheless. This one introduce some chugier riffs and some strings (I guess), which are main star of its part of the song. Again, I think guitar tone could be better, they maybe went too bassy here. Chorus part is pretty dope, almost an earworm with some unusual melodies.
I like it but, again, I’m not sold on this. I think my problem with both song is that I usually like faster songs in this style.

7/10 (#27/40)

He is Legend – No Visitors

Well, this is guitar tone I like. And thankfully, this one is more dynamic and has some faster parts. It has many vocal hooks which make it memorable, catchy and easy to listen to. On moments (that fast part), singer reminds me of singer from Corrosion of Conformity, which is a good thing. My favorite part is the chorus, it gets really melodic but at the same time, riffs are tight and sludgy.
I was on the edge with this one because it’s not really the most unique song but it’s enjoyable.

7.5/10 (#24/40)

Wild Throne – Shadow Desert

I have to admit, intro was weird to me at first but after it gets to normal, it is good. This is again, song in the similar style to songs before. However, it’s not really the classic stoner rock song as No Visitors is. This one relies on contrast in verses, between loud bass and drums and quiet vocals. I love it when voice explodes into chorus with that catchy, screaming melody. It was a really good idea, I think having dynamics like this is an important thing. There’s also that one riff, which sounds like some classic bluesy rock, which I like.
This one was really close to being an 8 but I guess it’s not :P (there were many 7.5s as you can see, Shadow Desert is my favorite of them, No Visitors least favorite out of them)

7.5/10 (#14/40)

Painted Wives – Dig

I don’t think anyone realized and I forgot to mention it before, you were the one who guessed you own (both PW) songs :lol
Yeah, this one was my favorite from the beginning. Again, guitar tone is more to my taste here, even though parts are too loud, I hear some heavy compression here. But I don’t care, that’s part of what’s charming about it, guitars and drums (cymbals especially) destroying everything around. Not surprisingly, my favorite thing about the song is the singer: his timbre, melodies, everything. He sometimes even goes into that nasally John Arch timbre which I like for some weird reason :P Middle part with simple guitar solo and those ‘whoa’s would be great to experience live, I think. Did I say how much I like that chorus? I do, very much :P
This song, again, is on the edge between 8 and 8. 5 but I can’t go higher, sorry.

8/10 (#9/40)

Painted Wives – Saint

Contrary to the Dig, I had hard time getting into this one. It is not bad at all, I just miss some hooks, nothing really grabs me as Dig did. Riffs are great while I’m listening to it but not memorable. Of course singer is great (well, it’s the same singer from previous song) yet I can’t name one part of the song where I can say: "he shines there". I guess reason is that it misses classic chorus, he just shouts ‘saint’ a few times :P (was reprise necessary?)
Nothing more to add, it is ok but not great.

7/10 (#32/40)

Vangough – The Suffering

This one. I’m still not sure if I rated it right, it changed positions all the time. It is more of a song whose elements I love but together they are not that great. Riffs are heavy but still sound pretty technical, drums remind me of Mastodon very much (snare fills and tone) and singer at the beginning sounds like Einar from Leprous :D What I love about it is how it has totally different feeling in different parts of the song. Singers voice gives a drop of emotion even when there are crushing riffs and drumming behind. My favorite part is instrumental after the calm part (that with drum fills and chuggy riffs after it), nothing too special but it is a music I like.
(btw I love that album art :P )

7.5/10 (#18/40)

Flow: Being stylistically consistent definitely made this EP flow very well. And still, it didn't get me bored even though songs are similar.
4.5/10

TOTAL EP SCORE: 18.4/25 + 4.5/5 = 22.9/30

OVERALL SCORE: 63.4+22.9 = 86.4

Not the best EP but a very consistent one which makes it as good as the others. I would like it if there was more variety but it's still pretty great.
About other rounds: you sent the best song of the roulette (Just a Ride). Even though it got only 8.5 (I know, I know...), I would give it 9.5 or even 10 right now :D I listened to that album bunch of times and I love it, they are the best discovery after FtM of the roulette so far. Soen is great, of course, good job for thinking so fast and sending me a single :P Actually, all of the stuff you sent were very good, at least. Another song I would mention, which grew on me since scoring it, is Romancing a Stranger. I'm going to check that album out soon, I hope.

It isn't clear at all because the difference between #1 and #2 is less than a half point but the winner is:

:metal :metal :metal TRAIN OF NAUGHT :metal :metal :metal

Congrats, dude! You definitely earned it with bunch of great songs you sent throughout the roulette and stayed one of the most consistent players. Thank you for playing :D

Thank you all for playing and sending me all that good stuff. I can't wait to start checking all that stuff out (and stuff I missed because I was too busy listening to your entries :P ). This roulette was very fun but also tiring and time consuming. I made some mistakes and I think I learnt something from them so I won't make them again in my v2.0 if there is going to be v2.0 (there will, most likely :D ).
I hope you all had fun. I know my write-ups aren't the best because my vocabulary is limited and I often hardly find words to say why I like or dislike something :D
Thank you once again and see you around!
(BTW I'm getting emotional because this is over :'()
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:05:44 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS #2 and #1: The End?
« Reply #1268 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:11 AM »
There were actually 40 songs :lol

1. Xanthochroid - Rebirth of an Old Nation
2. Earthside - Mob Mentality
3. La Dispute - King Park
4. Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act
5. John Frusciante - Carvel
6. Mr. Bungle - The Air-Conditioned Nightmare
7. Nothing More - I'll Be Ok
8. Nothing More - God Went North
9. Painted Wives - Dig
10. Jolly - Where Everything's Perfect
11. John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
12. Gene Loves Jezebel – The Prairie Song
13. Dommin - Love Is Gone
14. Wild Throne - Shadow Deserts
15. In Mourning - The Smoke
16. Second Person – Spilt Milk
17. Entwine – Until the End
18. Vangough - The Suffering
19. Dommin - Dark Holiday
20. Hacride - Awakening
21. Biffy Clyro - Mountains
22. David Maxim Micic - Everything's Fine
23. The Black Mages/Nobuo Uematsu - Life (In Memory of Keiten)
24.He Is Legend - No Visitors
25. Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
26. Euzen - The Stage
27. Giant Squid - Mycenaeans
28. Giant Squid - Sixty Foot Waves
29. Múm - Green Grass of Tunnel
30. Pete Yorn – Lose You
31. London Grammar - Hey Now
32. Painted Wives - Saint
33. Eryn Non Dae. - Chrysalis
34. *shels - The Conference of the Birds
35. maudlin of the Well - Gleam in Ranks
36. Cobalt - Witherer
37. Half Moon Run - No More Losing The War
38. Slowdive - Golden Hair
49. The Album Leaf – Window
40. The Hirsch Effekt - Ira

I will do "2 The Best of CDs" soon BTW.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1269 on: May 08, 2017, 07:11:03 AM »
Even though I didn't love some of the songs on your EP, last three made up for it and made your EP 2nd best.

But.. my total EP score is the highest!

---

Glad you liked some stuff from it :)
but a little sad I'm finishing in second place yet again :lol I actually didn't expect to end up in the top 2 (or top 3 for that matter), so I supposed my EP did pretty well :)

I know your EP's name is "These Songs Don't Fit Together" but I think they actually do, for the most part.

Yeah, but that's not the full title :P

Anyway; three songs in the top 10! YEAH

Thanks for playing

Thanks for having me and enduring some weird stuff. It's been a good ride.

Also this:
Congrats asshole, I'll beat you next time :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1270 on: May 08, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »

But.. my total EP score is the highest!

Yeah, I forgot Luke's flow wan't really good :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1271 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: This is the second time I win a roulette with a less-than-great EP :lol but I'm glad you liked it for the most part. This means I finally have my name in normal font size on the leaderboards :metal. Personally I much prefer Saint to Dig but Dig definitely has one of the most catchy choruses i've heard in a while. The album I'd say is closer to Dig's style than Saint so you'll be fine. That Giant Squid album isn't the best but I really like the eastern vibe in Mycenaeans or whatever it is called, and cause I had to re-send something I decided to put another Giant Squid song in there. :lol

He Is Legend is not really stoner rock, this song is probably the one that comes closest, but the other album (It Hates You) is more on the heavy/sludgy side that Heavy Fruit (album of this song) isn't as much.

The bluesy riff of the Wild Throne song is the single thing that pushed me over to send this, it's very tommy

you sent the best song of the roulette (Just a Ride).
:metal

Congrats asshole
Thanks dickwad
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1272 on: May 08, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
train of victory

my prediction was right  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1273 on: May 08, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
This means I finally have my name in normal font size on the leaderboards :metal.
Done.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1274 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
Anyways that xanthochroid album is great though that one is the best song for sure

The Hirsch Effekt album is better though imo  :corn

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1275 on: May 08, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
Congratulations Train!  :metal
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1276 on: May 09, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
Congratulations dude. Well played by all!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1277 on: May 09, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »
Congrats trainy :2metal:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1278 on: May 10, 2017, 12:13:25 AM »
Thanks guys :2metal: :metardica:

I can't believe I never won a roulette for like one and a half year and then continue to win 2 in a row just now :lol thanks for hosting tomi and I'd like to see those 'best of' playlists too

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette
« Reply #1279 on: May 23, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
Here's list of my favorite songs from roulette. I didn't try to include everyone but to pick my favorite songs and then fill the remaining space but every participant got at least one song on the list. I hope I didn't forget anything, I don't want to recheck it now :P
You can notice some of the higher scored songs didn't make it. That's because I don't like them that much anymore or studio version is less good (that Karnivool song). But there are some songs I didn't like that much at first.
If anyone wants to listen to it, here is the Spotify link.

The Best of Roulette

Part 1 (78 minutes):
Earthside - Mob Mentality (twosuitsluke)
Beach House - Myth (Scar)
Fair to Midland - Orphan Anthem '86 (home)
David Bowie - Life on Mars? (Elite)
Olafur Arnalds feat. Arnor Dan - Old Skin (home)
Red House Painters - Katy Song (Scorpion)
Mew - Cross the River on Your Own (home)
John Frusciante - Carvel (twosuitsluke)
Frightened Rabbit - Death Dream (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
Low Roar - Give Up (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
Janelle Monae - Cold War (Sacul)
Rishloo - Just a Ride (Train of Naught)
Skyharbor -Patience (Train of Naught)
Type O Negative - Love You to Death (twosuitsluke)

Part 2 (79 minutes):
Zeal & Ardor - Come On Down (Elite)
Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act (Elite)
Myrath - Silent Cries (twosuitsluke)
Phideaux - Waiting for Axe to Fall (Evermind)
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (Parama)
Soen - Sectarian (Train of Naught)
Dark Tranquillity - What Only You Know (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
La Dispute - King Park (home)
Anomalie - Between Reality and the World Beyond (Luoto)
Xanthochroid - Rebirth of an Old Nation (Parama)

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette
« Reply #1280 on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
I'll likely check this out at some point  :corn nice one.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1281 on: May 24, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »
I will try to check to check this list out soon as well, it seems like a great mix of songs I really like and songs I do not know.

Also is Orphan Anthem on Spotify in your country?  :omg:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1282 on: May 24, 2017, 02:17:21 AM »

Also is Orphan Anthem on Spotify in your country?  :omg:
Their first album is not on Spotify but there is demo from The Drawn & Quartered EP, I don't hear the difference.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1283 on: May 24, 2017, 02:24:27 AM »
Added to my Spotify lists, will listen at some point :)
Squ