Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 76645 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Annnndddd second place goes to...
« Reply #1260 on: March 10, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
RESULTS WHEN

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1261 on: March 10, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
I saw Devin posted a picture where Anneke is on the stage, that's one hell of a surprise :metal

Also, congrats on winning this, Train :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1262 on: March 10, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
Yeah :metal it wasn't a surprise for me though, their tour manager already told us in the afternoon and I think I saw her too though I'm not sure

and TY! I finally get to be on the honorable 1-win hallf of fame
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1263 on: March 10, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
That means it's time for you to run amother roulette

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1264 on: March 10, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »
I saw Devin posted a picture where Anneke is on the stage, that's one hell of a surprise

Yes, it was lots of fun!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1265 on: March 10, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »
I saw Devin posted a picture where Anneke is on the stage, that's one hell of a surprise

Yes, it was lots of fun!

I'm guessing it's too much to hope that he's kidnapped her for the rest of the tour?? First time Seeing Devin on Sunday and it'd be great if Anneke was there  :heart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1266 on: March 10, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
I guess so, it's not the first time he invited her on stage in The Netherlands, but I don't think she'll be coming to the UK for three songs. But who knows, maybeshewill
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1267 on: March 11, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »
I don't think she'll be coming to the UK for three songs.

Bit selfish of her  :yeahright

Online twosuitsluke

So serious congratulations to our man, the number one (for today at least),

Train of Pain

Train of Naught: EP Title: They're Dropping Bombs in the Schoolyard, Mom

God is an Astronaut - Vetus Memoria

A really nice atmospheric intro to start with. I love the use of piano and all the instrumentation gels together well. It's kind of straight forward but sets the tone for the EP. The piano is certainly the highlight. It also builds to a heavier ending before drifting off, this leads into the next song really well.

Score: 7/10

Beardfish - Voluntary Slavery

So some of this is just copy and pasted from home's write up  :lol 'This song :) it's weird to have this featured in two EPs. I love the pounding drums and heavy guitars. I've heard of these guys before but I expected them to sound a bit more classic prog for some reason. The vocals remind me of another band which I can't place. They bring a good slab of metal to this EP which blends a bit of sludge in for good measure. The riffing is great and the drums feel really huge and are off kilter enough to make it interesting. The reoccuring vocal part obviously sticks in your head, especially as it is also the title of your EP. I can definitely understand why you have chosen this for my EP, I really dig it. The vocals throughout this really work for me, It's pretty infectious to be honest. The climax makes me want to pound my chest in the manliest of ways.' So yeah, I think this song worked in both EPs but it fits slightly better in yours I'd say and the transition into this is great.

Score: 8.5/10

This starts with the heavy riffage that is commonplace up to this point (with this EP). The vocals are quite a weird and hard to make my mind up on. It has that kind of novelty feel to it and the vocal melodies bounce along. Musically it is pretty cool but the rest is a bit of a turn off. It sticks in your head but not necessarily for the right reasons. It's all fine and dandy and works ok with the EP. It's Traincore I guess and kinda similar to some other stuff that you have sent me throughout this roulette.

Black Peaks - Set in Stone

Never heard of these guys before. I'll admit that I sometimes forget this song is even here, until I hear it again. I love the powerful screams in this song, that is a high point and this also keeps with the trend you have built here. It's not the greatest song it has enough that I like about it. The transition into the next song is as seamless as it gets. Really cool stuff here.

Score: 7.5/10

Hacride - Strive Ever to More

Another heavy song that slides perfectly into this EP. It is kind of nice but a bit forgettable for me. I like the keys that are going on in the background, behind the main meat and potatoes of the song, at certain points. This style of harsh vocal falls into the hardcore style (like Hatebreed or something) at times and they are ok, but nothing particularly special in my book. The cleans are more to my tastes. The chorus is good enough to scream out I suppose. I've seen you and Parama discuss these guys a bit but this hasn't really been enough to make me want to check these guys out any further.

Score: 7.5/10

Novembre - Onirica East

This end is like the extended outro which brings you down after the all out intensity of the EP thus far (whilst still being pretty intense itself). I do actually have an album by these guys (I think it's their debut). This has black metal style vocals (which is a bit risky), as you had mentioned but luckily the music isn't straight up BM. There is some real nice audible bass in this song which rumbles nicely. It does break into more all out black metal, especially with the drumming. This is ok and works well in the context of the EP but I don't find it really that great as it's own song. 

Novembre - Outro - Spirit of the Forest (Tales...Reprise)

This ending is quite nice and serves the same purpose as the intro track I guess, but I like the intro track more. The last minute and a half is the best and I like that guitar sound. Nice round off to the EP.

Score: 6.5/10

Average Score: 14.5/20

Flow: 4/5

Total Score: 18.5/25

Grand Roulette Total: 90

So there we have it. I really liked your EP dude but I think it started a lot stronger than it ended. It peaks by the second song and dips a little with the Avatar song before coming back up a little with Black Peaks. Hacride left me a little cold and the last two weren't my faves but it won you this thing in the end. This EP definitely has a good flow though and it was definitely part of why you ultimately won. I think home's EP actually had the highest score for the round but this was only by like 0.25. Thanks again for participating Train, you have sent me some really great stuff and I have plenty to check out. If I remember rightly you didn't have the best start to this roulette (although you were  still pretty solid) but you brought it home towards the end  :tup

I'm interested to see who has the most songs featured on my 'best of roulette' playlist. I might even knock it up later today. I know you have sent me plenty of good shit Train and I know that everyone will have at least one song.

This whole thing has taken longer then I though it would but I'm glad I actually stuck with it. Thanks again to everyone who joined in and played along with my bullshit themed rounds (like the sing-along and wrestler entrance  :lol). I'd like to think that one day I might try another one of these but it won't be for at least a year.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....
« Reply #1269 on: March 11, 2017, 01:45:50 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1270 on: March 11, 2017, 01:47:04 AM »
Man those scores are not amazing :lol I thought Novembre would've done better, but hey if it's enough to grant me the win I am cool with it!

The post-metal Hacride might appeal to you more than the more alternative/metalcore side (which is what I sent you). The album "Lazarus" is probably their best and becoming my favourite slowly but surely.

From my roulette entries (don't remember them all off the top of my head) I think the albums you'll like the most are the new Twelve Foot Ninja one (though I personally like Silent Machine more) and Moron Police's "Defenders of the Small Yard, but it's your journey from here on
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1271 on: March 11, 2017, 02:08:38 AM »
i feel better now since my EP had 2 of the best three songs in the round haha  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1272 on: March 11, 2017, 02:11:51 AM »
Man those scores are not amazing :lol I thought Novembre would've done better, but hey if it's enough to grant me the win I am cool with it!

The post-metal Hacride might appeal to you more than the more alternative/metalcore side (which is what I sent you). The album "Lazarus" is probably their best and becoming my favourite slowly but surely.

From my roulette entries (don't remember them all off the top of my head) I think the albums you'll like the most are the new Twelve Foot Ninja one (though I personally like Silent Machine more) and Moron Police's "Defenders of the Small Yard, but it's your journey from here on

Cheers dude. I've already checked out that Moron Police album, it was ok. Not gotten around to any 12ft Ninja yet.

I've just counted up the songs for the 'best of playlist', the tally for how many songs you all have is as follows:

home: II
Scar: II
Scorpion: III
Sacul: I
Parama: IIII
WebRaider: I
Tomislav95: II
Splent: I
Train of Naught: III
Elite: I

Parama, you actually had the highest hit rate of songs I loved and none of them were metal songs. I think we can both agree what we look for in a metal song does not line up. If I ever host another my bet would be on you to win, if you've learnt anything from this  :lol

i feel better now since my EP had 2 of the best three songs in the round haha  :lol

You'll be even happier seeing this  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1273 on: March 11, 2017, 02:42:08 AM »
joke's on you, i'm basically run dry on the non-metal stuff now
like that's why you got eight bells on the ep, because i had nothing left  :lol

oh and on the subject of hacride.
that album is a lot more metalcore-y than the two albums before it & i definitely haven't preferred it to their earlier stuff. i got lazarus and have been spinning it and it's /kind of awesome/ and i'd recommend checking out act of god or awakening if you want a better idea of how they sound when they're /really/ on

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1274 on: March 11, 2017, 03:40:22 AM »
Congratulations Train! and thanks again Luke for hosting this

I really should get to listening to Scorpion's EP, I don't know any songs of it  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1275 on: March 11, 2017, 03:43:07 AM »
I really should get to listening to Scorpion's EP, I don't know any songs of it  :lol

Yes you should.

Train, congrats on your first win! :tup I'm honoured to have come second.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:53:47 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1276 on: March 11, 2017, 03:47:08 AM »
We've just gotta get some fresh blood in here now as there are no roulette's coming up  :tdwn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1277 on: March 11, 2017, 03:57:47 AM »
Right, here is my 'best of' playlist:

https://play.spotify.com/user/twosuitsluke/playlist/2WtgtH7OxrYq7O7DZPaEZD

I haven't actually put them in any specific order but I might do when I get a chance. The playlist is as follows:

*shells - The Conference of the Birds (home)
And So I Watched You From Afar - Don't Waste Time Doing Things You Hate (Scar)
Nevermore - Born (Scorpion)
Black Crown Initiate - Belie the Machine (WebRaider)
fun. - Take Your Time (Coming Home) (Parama)
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Justice for Saint Mary (Scorpion)
Destrage - Are You Kidding Me? No (Sacul)
Seventh Wonder - Hide and Seek (Tomislav95)
Frost* - Dear Dead Days (Splent)
Brand New - Not the Sun (Parama)
Intronaut - Fast Worms (Train of Naught)
Kamelot - March of Mephisto (Scar)
Twelve Foot Ninja - One Hand Killing (Train of Naught)
Woods of Ypres - I Was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery (Tomislav95)
Ulver - Son of Man (Elite)
Oceansize - The Frame (Parama)
Wilderun - Ash Memory Parts I-IV (Scorpion)
Thrice - Words in the Water (Parama)
Beardfish - Voluntary Slavery (home/Train of Naught)

I'm off to give this a listen now and bathe in all this excellence  :tup

cheers guys

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1278 on: March 11, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
I didn't even notice you were sent belie the machine at some point nice