3 (5.2%)
Chosen
1 (1.7%)
Begin Again
0 (0%)
Our New World
3 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: DTF Split-Screen Project Thread v. We have a pinboard! (no new title changes)  (Read 8179 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

This is the updated version of this thread where members of the DTF Split-Screen Project voted on which song to do first. The only reason I'm remaking the thread is because the old one didn't allow you to vote more than once, while this one allows you to vote for 5 songs AND to have the ability change your vote.

This list is merely a list of every song (I think) that was suggested in the other thread. If you have an idea that isn't on the list, just let me know & I'll add it to the poll.  ;)

Current line-up:
Production - Darklord_Lalinc
Vocals - bosk1, DL, NOMAC2107
Backing Vocals - Elite, IDontNotDoThings
Guitar - home, Elite, Mosh, Saurabh(?), Serah Farron
Bass - IDNDT, Mosh, SF
Keyboards - DL, home, Mosh
Drums - SF

(names mentioned more than once are acronyms)

PINBOARD:
(things you should know about)

Pinboard Explanation / Overview
Woah! What's this pinboard thing? :dangerwillrobinson: Well it's where I post important updates that members can see that they may have missed in the thread. If you're new here, keep reading this text. This is the DTF Split-Screen Project, where members of the Dream Theater Forums get together to cover Dream Theater songs. Any new members are welcome as we use a (mostly) rotating line-up from song to song. Whether you're a vocalist, guitarist, bassist, keyboardist or drummer, we welcome you to the team & hope you have fun being part of this project.  :tup

E-mail to join Dropbox Team
Pinning this because apparently people aren't seeing it. To send files to each other, you'll have to be added to the Dropbox Team. To get invites to the Dropbox Team, e-mail dtfsplitscreen@gmail.com with your DTF name & I'll send you an invite. As far as I know, this is the only way I can add you to the Dropbox Team, so although it might be an odd process, just bear with me on this one.

Current songs:
(Note: we use a rotating line-up for most songs)
The Root Of All Evil
Vocals - bosk1
Guitar - Elite
Bass - IDontNotDoThings
Keyboard - Darklord_Lalinc
Drums - Serah Farron
Regression / Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu
Vocals - NOMAC2107 (& possibly Serah Farron)
Guitar - Mosh
Bass - IDontNotDoThings (I mean, unless anyone else wants to)
Keyboard - ?
Drums - ?

Recording standards:
Make sure your instrument  is at least somewhat professionally recorded with a decent mic & amp. Some lenience is allowed but remember that your instrument can't clash with the rest of the group too much. Also try to eliminate as much background noise as possible. For recording video, make sure you get an 16:9 camera that records at at least 30fps at at least a 360p video quality, but that's all I really have to say on that matter (aside from use a tripod & make sure you're in view). Just make sure it looks & sounds decent & you'll be fine.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:47:48 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: DTF Split-Screen Project POLL THREAD (Multiple Votes Edition)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »
If we're doing top 5's, mine would be:
Pull Me Under
Regression / Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu
Stream Of Consciousness
The Root Of All Evil
Dytopian Overture (which I voted for)
Also, Our New World could be fun too.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
I agree with your choices. It'd be fun to do Regression/Overture/Strange Deja Vu.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:09:29 PM »
Cool.  So far, Root in the "lead."  But only 4 votes so far, so any other song could catch up.  I'll just throw this out there:  It's a great song, and probably a lot of fun to play.  But vocally, it isn't very dynamic.  Not nearly as much fun to song as some of the others.  That doesn't mean I won't want to do it.  I will.  But my preference would probably be for something more dynamic, vocally.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:07:01 AM »
I voted:
A Change of Seasons
Regression / o'28 / SDV
The Dance of Eternity
SS / ATC (Reprise)
The Root of All Evil

I wouldbe fine with Pull Me Under & 6:00 as well.

All songs are songs I have played before and songs I can play on guitar.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:08:39 AM »
Also, I believe home is primarily a keyboardist and he doesn't necessarily play guitar, but he'll have to confirm this.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 04:05:20 AM »
Also, I believe home is primarily a keyboardist and he doesn't necessarily play guitar, but he'll have to confirm this.

He agreed to do some rhythm guitar but yes, he is primarily a keyboardist. I only put him first because he was the first guitarist to join.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 05:43:06 AM »
Confirming this, I mean I could do some rhythm guitar if needed but seeing as we have plenty of (way better) guitarists here, that shouldn't be necessary.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: DTF Split-Screen Project POLL THREAD+ v. 1st song is TROAE, deadline 31/12
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:50:59 PM »
Okay, so since it seems no-one has voted in 2 or 3 days, I think it's safe to assume that everyone who wanted to vote has already done so. With that in mind, The Root Of All Evil is the winner for our first song! So if you haven't learnt that song, start. Deadline is New Years Eve, if anyone has a problem with this deadline, let me know.

Anyway, I was just about to set up a Dropbox team when I realised something... have we decided on an official name for the project yet? Personally I think "DTF Split-Screen Project" works fine, but I just wanted to check if anyone had any better names they wanted to share or for some reason had a problem with the current name. The name gets decided 17/12 (this Saturday) so that the Dropbox team is up for two weeks before the due date. Again, if anyone has any problems with these deadlines, let me know & we'll negotiate it.

Afterwards, the files will go to Darklord_Lalinc for the production/mixing stage. I don't know how long it takes to produce an already-recorded song so I'll hold off on setting a deadline for that (at least for now), but the video should be up to YouTube sometime in January 2017.

Speaking of this, I know Darklord_Lalinc was the audio producer, but do we have a designated video editor yet? Obviously with there being five (or more) of us recording per song, we aren't all going to fit on a four-panel screen, plus there's the mixing of takes, creating graphics, etc. so it isn't exactly like the video editing is any small task. If no-one else is willing to oblige, I'll happily take over video editing, but whoever is video editing would need to get documentation from Darklord about which takes he used for the final mix, & the editor will also need to get the final mix before beginning the editing process. Also they'll need an editing software that allows for multi-layering. I don't have an issue with piracy in this sense (especially since most editing softwares are ridiculously expensive), but just know that if I'm the editor in this case, I'll probably pirate the software.

But as for right now, we'll have to know who's going to be playing on this first song.
- The drummer is obviously going to be Serah.
- Bosk admitted to vocals being easy so it could be either bosk or Darklord for vocals.
- Keyboard could be either Darklord or home (though Darklord probably shouldn't take both keyboard AND lead vocals).
- Guitar is probably going to be Elite since Serah's already doing drums, Mosh & Saurabh haven't posted in the new threads yet & home only wanted to do guitar if needed.
- Bass will probably be me, since again, Serah's already doing drums & Mosh hasn't posted in the new thread yet.

As for recording, make sure your instrument  is at least somewhat professionally recorded with a decent mic & amp. Some lenience is allowed but remember that your instrument can't clash with the rest of the group too much. Also try to eliminate as much background noise as possible. For recording video, make sure you get an 16:9 camera that records at at least 30fps at at least a 360p video quality, but that's all I really have to say on that matter (aside from use a tripod & make sure you're in view). Just make sure it looks & sounds decent & you'll be fine.

Anyway, that's it for the update. Hope to see the you soon.  ;)

EDIT: & one more thing, I'm working on a click track now. It should be done in a few minutes & will definitely be on the Dropbox page at the time it goes live.

EDIT 2: Okay, nevermind on the click track, it's a lot more difficult than expected...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:19:30 AM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
I will assume I am doing vocals unless Lalo says he plans to.  Just to clarify, what is the NYE deadline for?  Not for submitting tracks, right?  For vocals, at the very least, I need the scratch/click to be done to make sure I am timing everything correctly.  But the more ideal situation is to work from complete tracks, or at least tracks with all the main rhythm tracks done, if not most of the solos as well.  Makes it easier to pick up and play off of the different stylistic things that folks are doing.  Best if those other parts get recorded, and then Lalo can do a quick preliminary mix for me to use as my scratch track for doing the main vocal track.  Then we can add in any harmonies and backing tracks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »
The deadline WAS supposed to be for submitting tracks, but if you (& everyone else) needs the click track & past performances to record, & suppose we can amend the process. The only problem with that is that it'll take longer. Supposedly you can still work on learning the song before getting the other tracks, so maybe there's an initial deadline for the first instrument's draft (probably drums), then everyone else's is a few days after the previous (in order Drums -> Bass -> Guitar -> Keyboard -> Vocals or something like that), then Darklord does the preliminary mix, then there's a final deadline for submitting final performances (including backups, harmonies,  etc.). Should that be enough time or should I increase it?

Anyway, Serah PM'd me about how she wasn't going to be able to get the drums done by the deadline, so until she gets things sorted out or until we find another drummer for the first song, the deadline is going to be delayed anyway.

I can work on the click track, but chances are it'll be timed beat-for-beat & not with a set BPM, because finding the exact BPM is a lot easier said than done, at least for me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:46:23 PM »
& on an unrelated note, it's 17/12 (at least in my time zone) & no-one's suggested an alternate name, so I'm keeping it as "DTF Split-Screen Project" for the Dropbox Team.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 03:50:37 PM »
You don't need the BPM to be identical to the studio version. Just close enough. The guitarist should be setting the click to record scratch. Then the drummer can record to that, then guitars and bass to that etc.

You should also figure out recording software to make sending/recording this stuff more universal.

If it's on protools, I might be able to help with mixing or any of that stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »
Would the BPM have to be perfectly constant though or just decent enough to play to, because I can't seem to get the BPM that fits the song for more than a few seconds. I was thinking about just tapping out the beat while listening to the song & organising the clicks around them.

I don't have Protools, but if it's free & decently easy to use, I could get behind using it to record.

Also, the Dropbox team is up, to join, either send an email to dtfsplitscreen@gmail.com (so I can add you by your email address) or just post you email address in the thread (not recommended). Also I think you need to get a Dropbox account before I can add you, but I'm not sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
Well, we could also just use the official recording as our scratch track.  That would work as well, and then we wouldn't have to have a click.  We also would not necessarily have to have the drums recorded first. 

Question on vocals:  Would you guys prefer that I stick fairly closely to the original, or do my own take on the vocals?  I mean, I probably wouldn't deviate too much anyway, but it would be helpful to know what people are expecting.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
Well, we could also just use the official recording as our scratch track.  That would work as well, and then we wouldn't have to have a click.  We also would not necessarily have to have the drums recorded first. 

Question on vocals:  Would you guys prefer that I stick fairly closely to the original, or do my own take on the vocals?  I mean, I probably wouldn't deviate too much anyway, but it would be helpful to know what people are expecting.

It'd be interesting to hear you try your own take. Maybe you can try that first and as we hear it, we can give input and feedback and you can decide from there. Will you adding those vocal effects James Labrie uses when singing Root?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 06:46:56 PM »

Apologies for not answering (I was intending to later but then forgot), but to answer your question, using the original song WAS what I thought we were going to do with each of our tracks. The obvious problem with that being that there's less chemistry between band members & some performances might clash due to differing interpretations. Of course, those are just hypotheticals, so if we wanted to, we COULD try out that method, but it's no guarantee that it's going to turn out well, which is what I thought you were implying when you said you needed the click track.

I'd suggest doing multiple takes for different ideas. Like I said, different ideas are going to fit better than others, but I'd say that if we knew specifically, we'd be able to get a more accurate judgement (& if not we at least have the faithful-to-original take).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: DTF Split-Screen Project POLL THREAD+ v. Setting up to record TROAE
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 02:36:45 AM »
Okay, so no-one's posted in this thread for a long time, so my first assumptions would be that either A) people aren't sure what the state of the actual first song is, B) they've already recorded tracks but don't know where to upload them, or C) they actually don't have time &/or haven't gotten the song fully learnt yet.

A) In the case of the first one (which is probably most likely, admittedly my fault), I'd say first recordings we do, use the actual song as the backing track, & record yourself playing along to the song while listening to it with headphone (obviously headphones that won't be picked up by microphones are preferable). Then once we have all our individual tracks, we can record again based on each others tracks, which will ideally leave room for more chemistry between between each of our tracks. Either way, we'll start first tracks based on the original song's track & then work our way up to that point.

B) If by the off-chance that anyone's actually finished recording but doesn't know where/how to upload the files, we're doing file uploads via a Dropbox Team that I've created. I can add people to the team in two ways (the former I'm unsure about). You can just post your Dropbox username in this thread & I might be able to add you that way, but I'm not sure about it. If you want me to invite you to the team via e-mail  (which by the looks of it, I might have to), send an email to dtfsplitscreen@gmail.com. The email can be literally anything because I'll get your email address either way, but just make sure I know your DTF name so I know who's invited in the team & who isn't. From there, I'll send you an email invite & then you should be able to join the team.

C) If you just haven't had enough time, there's not much I can do to help you other than give you more time to do it. I'm not going to introduce another deadline JUST yet (because we're still setting up & I don't know how long it's going to take), which is why I'm removing the original deadline from the thread title, but try to get everything sorted ASAP because I don't want this to take any longer than it needs to.

As for me, I've mostly nailed the song in practice (apart from 5:28-5:35, which I have no idea how to do & I'm not even sure has the part bass to begin with), but my microphone is in a weird state where I'm not sure if it works or not (I'm fairly certain it's just my computer not recognising it being plugged in, but I don't know how to set it up on another computer), so it may be a few days before you see my tracks.

In other news, my question about video editing has been unanswered, so I'll assume I'm taking that role unless someone else openly says  that they want to edit.

& likewise, it doesn't appear anyone's had any objections to the line-up, so unless anyone has any now, this will be the line-up of the first song:
Vocals: bosk1 / Guitar: Elite / Keyboard: Darklord_Lalinc or home / Bass: me / Drums: Serah Farron

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »
Oh yeah, & if anyone's wondering whether they should remain faithful to the original or try to give their own take on the song, my advice would be along the lines of this:

It'd be interesting to hear you try your own take. Maybe you can try that first and as we hear it, we can give input and feedback and you can decide from there. Will you adding those vocal effects James Labrie uses when singing Root?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:16:58 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:21:47 PM »
Well, it seems that apart from me, there's been a silence in the thread for a little over the past month. I understand people might be busy with real-life stuff right now, but I wanted to ask (& I mean these in the least sarcastic way possible) the following questions to the people involved with this:

1) Would there be a more fitting way of communicating to each other on this project? It seems as if these posts are getting a bit inadequate seeing as either no-one is seeing them or no-one is reading them all the way through. As of now, I've gotten no replies, no PM's & no e-mails to the alternate account so I think it's safe to assume that this form of communication isn't getting us anywhere fast. Suggestions for alternatives are much appreciated.

2) If people haven't been able to respond or are just choosing not to, why? I ask this partially as an extension of the previous question, but also because I think communication is important to getting a project like this off the ground, & that if there's a legitimate reason to not being able to send the e-mail to join the Dropbox team or replying to the posts in this thread (e.g. haven't had time, personal matter, don't want me to know your e-mail address, disagree with how things have been set up, etc.), I think it'd be more beneficial to voice said reasons so the rest of us (myself included) know what's going on & we aren't in the dark about the matter.

Again, I mean this in the least condescending way possible & I'm not trying to be pushy about how long the recordings are going to take because I know these things take time, but I don't think silence is exactly the answer to getting the project off the ground either, if that is indeed the reason why there's been less activity in this thread. That's all I wanted to ask. Thank you.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »
I don't visit this subforum regularly and I just saw this thread. I am up for participating still, but maybe it would be better to create a PM conversation for those interested so that we're notified of these things. Either way, I'm still interested. 
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 12:00:46 AM »
^ Sent you a PM.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 06:34:06 AM »
I have been ridiculously busy with graduation and finding a job simultaneously. On top of that I have my band to gig with, so I just haven't gotten round to giving this any effort. I have a recording of myself playing TROE, but that one's about 2-3 years old and I think it's in E, instead of in Eb.

I'm sorry for being unresponsive, but this project hasn't been my main priority. I hope that I can take the time (heh) it deserves to record the guitar parts in a good way. I just need to get some other things done first.

Also, by all means, add me to the Dropbox.

tl;dr - in response to question #2: I've been busy with other things.
Squ

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »
Update: Mosh & I talked through PM's & we decided that since we have more members than we need for 1 song at a time, that we could also work on another song at the same time with different members. Judging from the poll, it looks like 1928/SDV is now tied for the lead, so that's the song we're going to be doing. Note that if anyone is already doing TROAE, they don't have to do both songs (not that they would if they weren't doing it, but I felt I should make that clear anyway). If there's any issues, PM me.

I have been ridiculously busy with graduation and finding a job simultaneously. On top of that I have my band to gig with, so I just haven't gotten round to giving this any effort. I have a recording of myself playing TROE, but that one's about 2-3 years old and I think it's in E, instead of in Eb.

I'm sorry for being unresponsive, but this project hasn't been my main priority. I hope that I can take the time (heh) it deserves to record the guitar parts in a good way. I just need to get some other things done first.

Also, by all means, add me to the Dropbox.

tl;dr - in response to question #2: I've been busy with other things.

It's no problem, good luck with getting that sorted out. The project has been at a standstill for quite some time anyway, so feel free to wait until you're ready to record. Though thanks for at least saying what's been going on.

Also, I need your e-mail address to add you to the Dropbox. Post something here: dtfsplitscreen@gmail.com so I can add you.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
Hey, I've also just been really busy lately, I've my last exams for this period next tuesday and will have more time after that.

Is there already someone doing keyboards for TROAE ? If not I'm still up for it!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
Is there already someone doing keyboards for TROAE ? If not I'm still up for it!

Actually I wasn't sure what was going on with keyboards with TROAE. I knew it was either you or Darklord doing it, but if you wanted to, I'm sure that'll be fine.

Also good luck with your exams.  :smiley:

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 02:35:15 AM »
I'd love to do some vocals if there's still some available. I'd play something but I don't know any well enough to not embarrass myself trying.

Obviously not trying to step on anyone's feet. I'm new to the whole idea of this

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Hello NOMAC2107 & welcome to the team. You've been added to the memberlist. We do rotating line-ups so yes, vocals are available. If you want to know anything else, I added a pinboard to the OP with all the essential info you'll need. Hope to see you soon.  ;)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

UPDATE: Speaking of which, there's now a pinboard in the OP! So now you don't have to navigate walls of text to get the important updates. I'm hoping to keep this updated as regularly as I can, but hopefully it can also be a tool for people who're new to the project to get a hold on what it actually is. So now we should all be on the same page.  ;D

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
UPDATE: Speaking of which, there's now a pinboard in the OP! So now you don't have to navigate walls of text to get the important updates. I'm hoping to keep this updated as regularly as I can, but hopefully it can also be a tool for people who're new to the project to get a hold on what it actually is. So now we should all be on the same page.  ;D

Thanks very much. Looking forward to reading through it and working with you eventually. Cheers

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
Can I sing on Regression/Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu? I love that and I can do some of the harmonies as well. I can also act as Hypnotherapist as well as doing the main vocals.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Sure, go ahead!  :tup

I'm also pretty sure that Serah said she wanted to do the vocals for Victoria's part, though she'd have to confirm that.

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
That could be cool. I'd love to hear that done.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Having different vocalists for different characters would be awesome.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Having different vocalists for different characters would be awesome.

Agreed.  :tup

I was actually thinking of bringing something like this up if an Astonishing song won. 'Specaially since we have 5 possible singers now, that's definitely going to be something to keep in mind when that happens.