Author Topic: Richard Chycki  (Read 3314 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Richard Chycki
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
I realize that talking about DT's sound production in their Mangini days is like opening the Pandora Box. There are some folks that don't have any issues with Dream Theater's sound production in their most recent studio and live outputs, but there are many who do. DT13, Luna Park, BTFW and The Astonishing have all had their fair share of mixing criticism, and of course that the man behind the sound production of those four albums is Rich Chycki.

I think the man has been more a miss than a hit. I know that mixing a band like Dream Theater is not the easiest job in the world, and more so with such a critical fanbase (us included) which will never fail at pointing out the smallest detail in their music and performances; but we should all agree (like 'em or not) that DT's latest mixes all have flaws: maybe the overly loud guitars (thinking of Luna Park), the drums that don't seem to get to that sweet Portnoy sounding spot (say what you want about him, but his drums have always sounded incredible) or whatever.

What strikes me the most about it, is that DT is a band with a pretty solid recording budget (probably the most a progressive metal band will ever get), and their mixes end up being somewhat inferior to far lower budget mixes such as Haken's The Mountain or Affinity. I enjoy thoroughly everything Dream Theater has put out since Mangini came on board, but most of it is far from perfect in the audio department and I think we all can agree on this. Just for the record, I think The Astonishing is a very good sounding record, and considering the hell it must have been to mix (orchestra and choirs included), I gotta give some serious props to the man. The drums are way too 90s sounding, but what the crap. They kinda fit.

I created this thread because I want to know what you folks think of him, and if you consider him to be a good enough asset that DT should keep working with him in their future albums.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Richard Chycki
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »
In both cases of live and studio albums, I think he's improved dramatically from the first to the second. So I guess that's a 50% hit rate overall for me. I still have issues with both, but the most recent studio and live albums have both sounded pretty good, so if that trend continues, I'm fine with him.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
I've said it before, but I really have no reason to believe that JP didn't walk out of the studio with a CD that had exactly the sound he was asking for. Especially, while it may happen once that a sound engineer  is not giving you the sound you want, it is inconceivable that JP would return to work with the guy. The fact that DT have now used him three times clearly means they like his work. The Wikipedia article on TA even quotes JP saying that Chycki is the 6th member of the band.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
In both cases of live and studio albums, I think he's improved dramatically from the first to the second. So I guess that's a 50% hit rate overall for me. I still have issues with both, but the most recent studio and live albums have both sounded pretty good, so if that trend continues, I'm fine with him.

I agree. For all the issues I have with TA, I don't recall the sound ever being one of them.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
I've said it before, but I really have no reason to believe that JP didn't walk out of the studio with a CD that had exactly the sound he was asking for. Especially, while it may happen once that a sound engineer  is not giving you the sound you want, it is inconceivable that JP would return to work with the guy. The fact that DT have now used him three times clearly means they like his work. The Wikipedia article on TA even quotes JP saying that Chycki is the 6th member of the band.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. Maybe it enforces the idea that the issue lies in the production itself which is under JP's supervision. They are not probably getting an outside producer as lots of guys wish they did, but he probably knows what works best for the band at this point.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
Yeah, I get what you're saying. Maybe it enforces the idea that the issue lies in the production itself which is under JP's supervision. They are not probably getting an outside producer as lots of guys wish they did, but he probably knows what works best for the band at this point.

I agree on that. JP is a monster guitarist and we all love him, but, as a producer, he's still learning. Don't forget that, as a guitarist, his production decisions will lean to a guitar heavy mix more, sacrificing more mix space for the rest of the instruments, specially the bass and keys.
I agree with Rumborak on the fact that Chycki is there doing his job and giving JP the sound he wants. If JP is producing, he'll ask for an specific sound, then Chycki will deliver. That's why we need an external co-producer to work with JP on the next albums. My vote is for Jens Bogren or Nolly.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
This thread reminds me of Iron Maiden, who despite their budget and big name engineers, mixers, etc, have managed to have some audio issues over the years. It can mostly be attributed to Steve Harris saying, I want things this way, and people delivering on that wish, even if it means the final product clearly doesn't sound as good as it could.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
You're pretty much the reason I don't feel the need to here in the DT side. I would be superfluous.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:07:05 PM »
Can we at least agree that Richard Chycki kicked ass in Winter Rose?

I'm actually being kind of serious. 

Offline pcs90

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »
Honestly, I think a lot of the audio problems would be JP's fault, since he's the one telling Chycki how he wants the mix to sound. MM's drums, for example.
I think TA is actually a really nice mix considering the amount of instruments...not a fan of the drum tone but at least it's better than the self-titled, and that's not really a mixing thing...
So I wouldn't blame RC for most of this, honestly.

Offline CB

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »
Honestly, I think a lot of the audio problems would be JP's fault, since he's the one telling Chycki how he wants the mix to sound. MM's drums, for example.
I think TA is actually a really nice mix considering the amount of instruments...not a fan of the drum tone but at least it's better than the self-titled, and that's not really a mixing thing...

I'm not a musician, therefore I can't really comment on Chyckis work. All I can say is that for me the drums in TA sounded MUCH better live than on the album.
Isn't Chycki responsible for the sound on JLBs EOP album too? Someone with better ears than mine, comparing the sound on the latest DT albums and on EOP, would probably be able to hear if it's Chycki or JP / JLB who decided how the finished album sounds.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »

I'm not a musician, therefore I can't really comment on Chyckis work. All I can say is that for me the drums in TA sounded MUCH better live than on the album.
Isn't Chycki responsible for the sound on JLBs EOP album too? Someone with better ears than mine, comparing the sound on the latest DT albums and on EOP, would probably be able to hear if it's Chycki or JP / JLB who decided how the finished album sounds.

Usually is the producer who gets the final word on how the mix should sound. For the DT albums, it's JP; for the JLB albums, I think the producer is Matt Guillory. I actually prefer the last DT albums drum sounds over EOP, but some people seem to like EOP drum sound much more.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 05:04:05 AM »
I laugh when i watch DT drum covers on You Tube and the comments are all " The drums sound better than on the album ! "

Well they will do when you're highlighting the drums and they're obviously WAY up in the mix. If they sounded like that on the album - everything else would be drowned out :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
I laugh when i watch DT drum covers on You Tube and the comments are all " The drums sound better than on the album ! "

Well they will do when you're highlighting the drums and they're obviously WAY up in the mix. If they sounded like that on the album - everything else would be drowned out :lol

But people will continue to say that, because, you know... YouTube comments  :lol :biggrin:

Offline TexasFury

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 06:35:16 AM »
Just be thankful Rick Rubin isn't on board and hands on. You'd get an album that sounded like a community college project.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »

That's so true.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »
This is the first I've heard of The Astonishing sound being criticised. I know some people don't like the album (fair enough) but the sound production is some of the best they've ever done. DT12 was a mess though.

Also, when did DT12 become DT13? That's the second time I've seen it referred to that way now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »
Also, when did DT12 become DT13? That's the second time I've seen it referred to that way now.

Dream Theater 2013?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 02:37:42 AM »
The only problem I have with him is he doesn't know shit about getting a good drum sound. I think we can all mostly agree on that. (snare sound in particular), but honestly, Andy Walace didn't do a great job on the snare sound on ADTOE either. It sounds so dull and lifeless.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 02:49:54 AM »
I have no problems with the TA mix. I do however, agree on the drumsound. It's just lifeless. Very dissapointing. The biggest problems I had with LALP was how large the enticipation was and then just hearing that dull, lifeless sound. With that stage setup, that audience this should have been the epitome of a DT live-recording and it just wasn't. The sort of took revenge with BTFW, but f' ed up with the orchestra part.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 05:46:12 AM »
The bummer about the drum sound is in the quiet sections. Losing Faythe is the prime example for me. It's intended to be a quiet, soulful piece, but when MM comes in, the "Pang!" of each snare hit, with that cathedral reverb, pulls me out of an otherwise pretty good song.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:38:04 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."