Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten's Petrucci solo vs Breaking All Illusion's Petrucci Solo  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
Lost Not Forgotten has the really fun and technical "tickle section" in the middle as Breaking All Illusions has the beautiful ragtime solo. Which out of those two do you prefer? What mood do both solo's set for you?

I find both solo's to be really amazing and gets me all giddy inside. LNF's solo always makes me smile, no matter what mood I'm feeling or how my day is...it's just so fun. :)

Breaking All Illusions on the other hand makes my guts tighten up for some reason. The solo is really powerful and it is delivered through that beautiful, gradual solo.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:49:15 PM by Serah Farron »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Breaking All Illusions is kinda the superior song in most departments. I love Lost Not Forgotten, but BAI is on its way of becoming an all-time DT classic.

As you say LNF is a fun tune, but it does not have the emotional gut punch BAI has.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shooters1221

They both are great IMO for different reasons, but I'll go with the LNF section just because???? I don't know, I love that song musically as a whole.

On a different topic as I just listened to LNF yesterday for the 1st time in quite a while and man that raw production of the drums KICK IT for me compared to DT12 and TA.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
They both are great IMO for different reasons, but I'll go with the LNF section just because???? I don't know, I love that song musically as a whole.

On a different topic as I just listened to LNF yesterday for the 1st time in quite a while and man that raw production of the drums KICK IT for me compared to DT12 and TA.
ADTOE sounds great. I kinda realized that after DT12 lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Great answers. I love the drums for ADTOE.

And yeah, just realized how silly the comparison is, lol

2 totally different solos sections and I'm here asking which you prefer. Bad play on my part.

Offline pcs90

I'm a bit confused...what section in BAI is the "Ragtime Solo"...nothing in that song sounds like that to me.
If we are just going to compare instrumentals as a whole, BAI wins hands down because of JP's awesome emotional solo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Wait, where is the ragtime solo in Breaking All Illusions?  ???

I like Lost Not Forgotten, but I have to admit that the tickle section annoys me.  It's mindless wankery that disrupts the flow and sticks out like a sore thumb since it is sandwiched between the otherwise very cool intro and the first verse.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Sorry, wrote that without thinking it through. I thought I heard BAI had ragtime solo. Might have confused it with TDOE. Rest assured, I meant the emotional solo in the middle.

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Shooters1221

I was assuming the OP was considering the instrumental section starting at 5:02 to be ragtime, even though it's really not, but I thought I was just "out of the loop"..lol. Anyhoo, I do like the 'tickle section' on LNF because it does kinda disrupt the flow at that point and I always liked the "holy crap...what was that?"..type of breaking the rules parts. That''s why, IMO, it's called progressive. Then once I get used it, it kinda fits perfect because there is nothing to compare to what coulda shoulda been there. I hope that makes sense.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
I'm not sure which section of either song is being spoken about here. Nothing seems ragtime about BAI (ragtime = the piano solo in TDOE), and the only section that "breaks the rules" in LNF is the appearance of a virtuoso section in the song's intro (intro = everything before the vocals) that would normally appear in the songs middle instrumental break.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
I'm not sure which section of either song is being spoken about here. Nothing seems ragtime about BAI (ragtime = the piano solo in TDOE), and the only section that "breaks the rules" in LNF is the appearance of a virtuoso section in the song's intro (intro = everything before the vocals) that would normally appear in the songs middle instrumental break.

Sorry for the confusion. For LNF, I meant the one that starts at approximately 7:09, Petrucci's solo and Breaking All Illusions, Petrucci's solo in the middle. The one where the instruments fade and Petrucci's solo comes in.

Offline Shooters1221

Sorry for the confusion. For LNF, I meant the one that starts at approximately 7:09, Petrucci's solo and Breaking All Illusions, Petrucci's solo in the middle. The one where the instruments fade and Petrucci's solo comes in.

WOW, I was obviously wrong on the LNF part from OP, I myself was talking about that beginning part. As for that middle section, I love that part too!

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Re: Lost Not Forgotten's "Tickle Section" vs Breaking All Illusion's Solo
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Ah yeah, my fault for this. But glad to hear you love it!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Wow, those are neither the tickle section nor ragtime, respectively.

I'll have what she's having.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Re: Lost Not Forgotten's "Tickle Section" vs Breaking All Illusion's Solo
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Cripes! That was totally my fault. For the tickle section, I assumed it was the one at 7:20 and misnamed both those. Sorry for the confusion!