Author Topic: RIP Greg Lake  (Read 2946 times)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
RIP Greg Lake
« on: December 08, 2016, 05:12:53 AM »
This year seriously needs to end.

R.I.P Greg  :'(

Edit: Adding a link for clarity - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38251936
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:24:45 AM by jonny108 »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: RIP Greg Lake
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:16:04 AM »
I suppose it wouldn't be 2016 without at least one more prolific musician dying before it's over. :mehlin

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 05:24:06 AM »
What the hell... RIP Greg.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:24:15 AM »
Yeah, 2016 is so death-oriented that it started killing when it was still 2015, see Lemmy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »
I hate this year. Now we lost 2/3 of ELP this year. RIP Greg Lake, one of the greatest voices in Progressive Rock history.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:29:36 AM »
 :(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:31:14 AM »
Enough already!

RIP, Greg

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »

This is sickening. I am absolutely gutted.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:56:26 AM »
Damn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »
I suppose it wouldn't be 2016 without at least one more prolific musician dying before it's over. :mehlin

Yeah. I'm afraid to think about who else might kick the bucket, before the year is done.

R.I.P Greg.

I will be spinning Brain Salad Surgery today..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:12:11 AM »
Damn. :( :( :(

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 06:14:28 AM »
Wow....  I'm just speechless.  :sadpanda:

Rest in Peace, Greg

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
RIP Greg Lake
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 06:52:51 AM »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
This is getting ridiculous.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 07:08:21 AM »
There's already a thread in the Music subforum, but yeah tragic :(

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49034.0
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:43 AM »
This is the only forum I read...
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline romdrums

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:44 AM »
2016 hasn't taken a famous, iconic drummer yet, so I hope people are getting Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Carl Palmer and Ringo Starr to a secure location.  Seriously, this shit needs to stop.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 07:45:21 AM »
Wow. 2/3 of ELP gone in the space of nine months. What an incredible voice he had. Epitaph. The Court of the Crimson King. Tarkus. Karn Evil 9. Pirates.

RIP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 08:19:32 AM »
Gonna put some ELP on, damn.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »
I was never a big fan of ELP. But I saw them and DT open for Deep Purple at Jones Beach back in '98. Total respect for ELP, however. RIP Greg Lake.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:09 AM »
In The Wake of Poseidon is one of my favorite songs of all time. Spinning that in remembrance today. Rest in peace.  :sad:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »
Wow! Damn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
This is the only forum I read...

Well then maybe visit the other sections? :p

Seriously though, this is not just to you, but to everyone as this happens with musician deaths more than anything. You wouldn't post about Dream Theater or guitar picking techniques in General Discussion, just as this doesn't go there. If something related to general music happens you don't bring it into the wrong section, you branch out and visit other sections!

RIP Greg Lake.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
This is horrible. I hate 2016 so much.

I'm glad you're ending, you nasty year full of darkness.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:11 AM »
Rest in Peace. I had no clue he had cancer. I saw him live just a few years ago and he seemed well. Also saw him with Deep Purple and Dream Theater of course in 1998.

Yeah. I'm afraid to think about who else might kick the bucket, before the year is done.

R.I.P Greg.

I will be spinning Brain Salad Surgery today..

not meaning to sound morbid, but I have come to anticipate the chance anyone with Cancer could go. So Peter Tork for example (I highly hope not), as he has throat cancer.

Also like Sharon Jones, Glen Campbell's time seems to be limited, although he's survived with the bad effects of Alzheimer's for a number years now.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »
Yeah, 2016 is a bummer as to famous people passing on.

2017 will be no better.  OUR noted celebs are getting longer in the tooth, as most of us are.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
I really don't understand the "2016 has to stop!" stuff.  People pass every day in every year and, unfortunately, will continue to do so.   It's a function of life, and I for one am just grateful that I had that chance to see some of these talented people when they were at the height of their powers.   It just so happens that that genre of music we tend to listen to came to a fruitful period at a time that puts these people at an age that they are in the twilight of their lives now.  If you're a hard core blues fan, you could care less (well, absent basic human compassion) as your heroes passed a decade or so ago.  And if you're a fan of punk and new wave, you've got another decade or so and it'll be your genre's turn.

Anyway, Greg Lake was a true favorite; I loved his voice especially.   I can remember being in the third row for the '93 ELP show at the Palace in New Haven, and watching Greg sing Pirates.  What an amazing experience.  "Six days... off the Cuban coast..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
It's only getting worse from now on, unfortunately.

RIP Greg Lake. Tremendous accomplishments on the early King Crimson works, though I've never been a huge fan of ELP.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
I really don't understand the "2016 has to stop!" stuff.  People pass every day in every year and, unfortunately, will continue to do so.   It's a function of life, and I for one am just grateful that I had that chance to see some of these talented people when they were at the height of their powers.
I know people die everyday, but come on. The amount of influential people that passed away during this year is overwhelming.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »
I really don't understand the "2016 has to stop!" stuff.  People pass every day in every year and, unfortunately, will continue to do so.   It's a function of life, and I for one am just grateful that I had that chance to see some of these talented people when they were at the height of their powers.   It just so happens that that genre of music we tend to listen to came to a fruitful period at a time that puts these people at an age that they are in the twilight of their lives now.  If you're a hard core blues fan, you could care less (well, absent basic human compassion) as your heroes passed a decade or so ago.  And if you're a fan of punk and new wave, you've got another decade or so and it'll be your genre's turn.

Anyway, Greg Lake was a true favorite; I loved his voice especially.   I can remember being in the third row for the '93 ELP show at the Palace in New Haven, and watching Greg sing Pirates.  What an amazing experience.  "Six days... off the Cuban coast..."
Yeah, I'm afraid we're still on the upswing for a few more years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 11:58:55 AM »
I really don't understand the "2016 has to stop!" stuff.  People pass every day in every year and, unfortunately, will continue to do so.   It's a function of life, and I for one am just grateful that I had that chance to see some of these talented people when they were at the height of their powers.
I know people die everyday, but come on. The amount of influential people that passed away during this year is overwhelming.

This. Half of the grammys is going to be In Memoriam.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »
Sad news

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »

That's my point; it SEEMS overwhelming because we're in it, and don't get me wrong, it's sad as hell knowing that my ELP catalogue is complete, and that Yes is never going to be the same band again, but 1980 was a tough year, as was 1994 and 2014. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 01:20:26 PM »
Such a great voice. RIP Greg Lake.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 01:51:43 PM »
Just a few weeks ago I was thinking I should really try to get into ELP. Needless to say, I'm listening to Brain Salad Surgery for the first time now. Karn Evil 9 is very good. I also gained a new appreciation for In The Wake of Poseidon listening to it today. Cadence and Cascade and the title track are beautiful songs.

RIP.