Author Topic: Systematic Chaos vs Black Clouds and Silver Linings  (Read 5582 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Systematic Chaos vs Black Clouds and Silver Linings
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
Can I ask around what time you guys became DT fans? I have found that when people like certain albums that are usually seen as bottom-end albums, one common reason is that that's the album they were exposed to DT with. Nothing wrong with that (I'm sure a good percentage of the love for IAW comes from that effect), just wondering.

SFAM is your second to last listened to album?!

How. On Earth. Did that come about.

Random number generators are a beautiful thing.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
Not only do I think SC is a great album, I consider it to be one of DT's two best (along with ADTOE).  I personally love every song on SC. 

BC&SL on the other hand has some great music but the lyrics are dreadful on 70% of the album.  While I appreciate Mike's tribute to his dad, the lyrics are too specific.  I feel that with ACOS, the lyrics were clearly about his experience but he kept them a bit loose.  It allows the listener to put themselves in the situation. 

Shattered Fortress I didn't like until Breaking the Fourth Wall.  Then it clicked.  I went back and listened to the album version and I still don't dig it.  I can't put my finger on it. 

While Wither's lyrics weren't as bad the others, I just think it's cheesy to sing a love song to the subject of writer's block. 

A Rite of Passage is the only song on that album that I love (and most people hate it!)  I think the lyrics are great, the riff is awesome, and even the music video is pretty cool. 

With all that, I would put it at the bottom of DT's catalog just slightly below The Astonishing. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 05:38:13 PM »

A Rite of Passage is the only song on that album that I love (and most people hate it!)  I think the lyrics are great, the riff is awesome...

I agree about the riff being awesome, but it is just a little too similar to the one in Misunderstood for me. I absolutely love the chorus of the song though, and the insane instrumental section is extremely impressive.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »

A Rite of Passage is the only song on that album that I love (and most people hate it!)  I think the lyrics are great, the riff is awesome...

I agree about the riff being awesome, but it is just a little too similar to the one in Misunderstood for me. I absolutely love the chorus of the song though, and the insane instrumental section is extremely impressive.

Similar?  Which part are you talking about?  I'm not noticing any similarities.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
The instrumental is the only part I like on AROP, the rest is just weird  :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »

In Miunderstood? The riff after the chorus, starting at 4:06
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »
I always though the Rite of Passage riff was a slight tweaking of a riff from In the Name of God; I'll have to listen for that in Misunderstood.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »

In Miunderstood? The riff after the chorus, starting at 4:06

Yup, this.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
Holy crap....I never noticed that!  :o

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »
Holy crap....I never noticed that!  :o

I just checked it and had the same exact reaction  :o
The fact that both songs are in the same key doesn't help either :-X

Btw, speaking of Misunderstood, I really like the very experimental approach they had to that song. In fact, the whole album (specially disc 1) has some great experimental moments that just don't sound like typical DT would. I really like that side of the band on SDOIT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 03:28:25 AM »
Yeah, I just listened to the section in question, and was reminded how great the whole song is. And, yeah, JR's weirdo strings in the back, and the backwards guitar solo is great.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Yeah, I just listened to the section in question, and was reminded how great the whole song is. And, yeah, JR's weirdo strings in the back, and the backwards guitar solo is great.

That's why I still think SDOIT is their best album to date (not my favorite, though, it will always be SFAM). Jordan was really spot on with his playing and sounds through the whole album. I wish they used him more in that way again. He even said on an interview from after MP left that he never really liked to just double the guitar riffs on certain parts, he has his own ideas but sometimes were never used.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 02:59:32 AM »
Definitely I'll go with BC&SL, simply because I think there isn't a bad song on it. And this album is also very important for me..

1. The Count of Tuscany: one of my favourite DT songs, 19 minutes of pure epicness
2. The Best of Times: very meaningful and heartfelt, and that solo kills me everytime
3. A Nightmare to Remember: it gives me an in-your-face feel and YES, I like MP's vocals :metal
4. The Shattered Fortress: it compresses all the badass parts in the 12 Step Suite into one song
5. Wither: definitely necessary after two headbanging songs, very enjoyable
6. A Rite of Passage: the weakest song on the album for me, but the chorus is just so majestic (get it  ;))

Anyway I think MP's drum parts are a bit weak as they feel uninspired and predictable (especially in ANTR and TSF), however it has still very cool parts (the ending of TCOT).

SC is a cool record and fun to listen to, but I think it's a little too technical and less melodic in general.

1. In the Presence of the Enemies - Part II: one of their most dramatic and inspired songs in my opinion
2. Repentance: I like how it gets obscure and quite gloomy at times, also that jazz-like riff is amazing
3. The Ministry of Lost Souls: it gives me the same feeling as TBOT as they are quite similar
4. The Dark Eternal Night: I hated it at first, then it started to grow on me. I often moshpit with my friends with this song
5. In the Presence of the Enemies - Part I: epic song but the intro is a little too random in my opinion
6. Constant Motion: ok song, I like how it gets a Megadeth vibe
7. Forsaken: not into it
8. Why did they have to include Prophets of War:biggrin: (not into it *2)

However I think MP slays in this record.

If I had to rank all the songs here it goes:
-The Count of Tuscany
-In the Presence of the Enemies - Part II
-The Best of Times
-A Nightmare to Remember
-The Shattered Fortress
-Repentance
-Wither
-The Ministry of Lost Souls
-The Dark Eternal Night
-A Rite of Passage
-In the Presence of the Enemies - Part I
-Constant Motion
-Forsaken
-Prophets of War

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 04:28:59 AM »
I like a lot both albums, but maybe SC a little more.

My favorite track would be A Nightmare to Remember.

And I like Prophets of War. A LOT.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
I wouldn't call PoW horrible, but it my least favorite track.  It's such and oddball.  Doesn't really seem to fit into the scheme of the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Black Clouds breathes more than Systematic Chaos.

SC isn't anywhere near Death Magnetic but it's pretty hot.

Black Clouds sounds better overall.

I prefer The Count Of Tuscany to In The Presence of Enemies as a whole.

Although I vastly prefer The Dark Eternal Night to A Nightmare To Remember - TDEN is just more fun to me. Despite ANTR's middle section.

It's hard for me to conclusively say one way or the other which I prefer 100% but I usually choose BC&SL because of the sound quality , The Best of Times solo, The Count of Tuscany and Wither.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
Black Clouds is significantly better than SC IMO.

How I'd combine the rankings of the songs from both albums:

The Count of Tuscany
A Nightmare to Remember
In The Presence of Enemies Part 1
----------- (some separation)
The Shattered Fortress
In The Presence of Enemies Part 2
A Rite of Passage
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Forsaken
The Best of Times
Constant Motion
Wither
Prophets of War
The Dark Eternal Night
Repentance

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »
Black Clouds. I don't really have a reason, except I think the songs are generally superior in every regard.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »
I think they're both good albums but I like Systemic Chaos a bit more. Well maybe a lot more. I can't say every song on Systemic Chaos is great but I don't skip any of them when listening to the album. Sorry, I cannot offer an indepth analysis of why I like one more than the other.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
Both of these albums are a real treat to revisit from time to time and most of the songs are good enough to stay in regular rotation.

Favorites from both albums are:

ITPOE
Forsaken
CM
TDEN
TMOLS
ANTR
AROP
Wither
TCOT
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White