Author Topic: The Universal Monsters Universe Thread  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
The Universal Monsters Universe Thread
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
The trailer for the next installment of the Universal Monsters cinematic universe is here!

Not going to lie, im actually really intrigued by this film. Normally when a trailer is this confusing or raises this many questions, I'm more annoyed than excited. This one excited me. My guess is as good as anyone about whats going on. If Tom Cruise ends up being the main Mummy character for the franchise, that means Universal is going to have the biggest starring "Shared Universe." We have Luke Evans as Dracula, Russell Crowe is Dr. Jekyll, and Johnny Depp is The Invisible Man. Universal is definitely betting big on this franchise with these big names! I wonder who they will be eyeing on for Frankenstein's monster, The Wolfman, and The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Looks like Johnny Depp's Invisible Man movie is going to start shooting next year.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Universal Monsters Universe Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »
Trailer looked like it had some cool action scenes, but I doubt the actual story of the movie will be anything more than what we've seen a bunch in other mummy movies. Hope I'm wrong though.

And big names doesn't mean a bigger shared universe.

Edit: Just to clarify, I meant that the whole airplane scene was insane, but nothing in the rest of the trailer seemed too interesting to me. Same old Tom Cruise running intensely with love interest and bad guy trying to cause huge damage to major city. I'm just imagining the end of Suicide Squad when I see it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:01:10 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:03:12 PM »
That's why I said Biggest Starring. At this rate, they are gonna land Di Caprio and Christian Bale in one of these roles.

Actually, a Bale Wolfman is ok by me

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:02:21 AM »
The trailer for the next first installment of the Universal Monsters cinematic universe is here!
Fixed.  Dracula Untold has been disavowed by Universal, and no longer counts toward their shared monster universe.

https://collider.com/the-mummy-universal-monsters-shared-universe/

That said, this looks fun, and I hope it works, as well as the future films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
AK
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
Alex Kurtzman directing. Hope his directing is better than his writing !

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »
The trailer for the next first installment of the Universal Monsters cinematic universe is here!
Fixed.  Dracula Untold has been disavowed by Universal, and no longer counts toward their shared monster universe.

https://collider.com/the-mummy-universal-monsters-shared-universe/

That said, this looks fun, and I hope it works, as well as the future films.

I don't understand that move. While, yes, Dracula Untold wasn't a good movie, it at least established that it was part of a larger world.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
I think they wanted to establish it with a better movie.  Consider it a reboot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:01:39 AM »
Doesn't look like much Egypt and Archaeology going on in that trailer.  Lots of Cruise running with a love interest.  Mummy Impossible?

Absolutely love the 1999 Mummy film (not the sequels though) - it's 3rd best Indy Jones movie ever made.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:52:33 AM by soupytwist »