Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 61980 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #631 on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-mangini-explains-his-limited-role-in-dream-theater-songwriting-process/

Pretty damn close, Kotow :lol

Wow, that's typical Blabbermouth right there!  :lol

Seriously, I really hope they include A LOT of Mike's ideas on the next album, the guy has lots of good things to offer to the table, and his musical chemistry with JR, and, specially, JM is amazing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #632 on: March 09, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
Good interview. Mangini sounds optimistic about eventually having a more substantial role in the song-writing process.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #633 on: March 10, 2017, 06:20:25 AM »
I have a question as I am ignorant and too lazy to look it up, does Mangini have a history of songwriting? I mean, he wants his ideas to be considered but has he acted in that capacity before?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #634 on: March 10, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »
You know, I have wondered the exact same thing. After all, there is not a single solo album of his. MP, Marco Minnemann, Thomas Lang, they all have put out stuff on the side. MM has put out instructional stuff, but it's odd that someone who has mostly been told what exactly to play throughout his career has not created a project of his own that would showcase his own ideas.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #635 on: March 10, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »
Maybe he wants to be able to be in the writing process just putting his input to certain drum beats and fills. He makes a suggestion and the band works around that.  I also think he wants more control of his drum sound.  I totally understand that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #636 on: March 10, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
Apparently he is writting a solo album now.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #637 on: March 10, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
Maybe he wants to be able to be in the writing process just putting his input to certain drum beats and fills. He makes a suggestion and the band works around that.  I also think he wants more control of his drum sound.  I totally understand that.

That's kinda what I gathered as well. He has said in interviews his biggest mark in terms of helping to write so far in DT is IT. And it sounded like he basically was apart of coming up with the flow of the arrangement, maybe coming up with patterns and beat ideas that helped drive the creativity of the writing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #638 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »
You know, I have wondered the exact same thing. After all, there is not a single solo album of his. MP, Marco Minnemann, Thomas Lang, they all have put out stuff on the side. MM has put out instructional stuff, but it's odd that someone who has mostly been told what exactly to play throughout his career has not created a project of his own that would showcase his own ideas.

I don't recall MP releasing a solo album or something similar. He's always released tons of albums with different bands, but most (if not all) of them have included other main songwriters (Kotzen, Morse, Petrucci, Rudess, etc.)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: March 10, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
Apparently he is writting a solo album now.

He would be a crazy shredder. If you've seen that vid of him tapping a pick on a body of a guitar. His hands are crazy fast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #640 on: March 10, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »

I don't recall MP releasing a solo album or something similar. He's always released tons of albums with different bands, but most (if not all) of them have included other main songwriters (Kotzen, Morse, Petrucci, Rudess, etc.)

Note how I ended that sentence with "stuff on the side" :D. True, MP never had a true solo album in that sense, but he for sure stretched his creative juices outside of his main band.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »
Well, lets look at i this way - it makes sense why he wasn't involved in ADTOE - he even seemed to completely understand that one. On the self titled album, he had  involvement, and on TA he didn't, but then again it JMX and JLB were also kept out of the writing because of the nature of that album. I think, if the next one is written in a more traditional DT way, that MM will be involved to the extent that everyone else is involved. I hope so at least.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
Well, lets look at i this way - it makes sense why he wasn't involved in ADTOE

I see this......a lot.......and I don't get it. The album wasn't written before he joined. They could have easily written it as a band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2017, 10:14:55 PM »
Well, lets look at i this way - it makes sense why he wasn't involved in ADTOE

I see this......a lot.......and I don't get it. The album wasn't written before he joined. They could have easily written it as a band.
Well, I say that because they were clearly trying to write a safe album. Something that the fans would hear and think, "yeah there's that classic DT sound". Maybe the band thought that if MM was involved, he may have influenced the music in another direction too early for the fans to embrace him. That, in addition with the fact that the guy had to learn tons of difficult material for the upcoming summer tour, I think MM already had his hands full. But maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed like MM completely understood why he wasn't involved.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »
No, I get why MM was cool with it. I get why they may have done it. I don't get it why it's seen as the obvious and best decision.

It's presented as "Obviously DT couldn't write the album with MM....that would be horrible, so clearly the best idea was to exclude him". I just don't agree in the slightest with that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: March 28, 2017, 04:51:16 AM »
And MM said plenty of times around the time that he was very grateful to not be there and that he totally understood it...

..But he may have just been toeing the party line seeing as he had only just joined...

..also it jars with what he's been saying recently.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #646 on: March 28, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »
No, I get why MM was cool with it. I get why they may have done it. I don't get it why it's seen as the obvious and best decision.

It's presented as "Obviously DT couldn't write the album with MM....that would be horrible, so clearly the best idea was to exclude him". I just don't agree in the slightest with that.
Even back when they first said it, I thought it was kinda weird. I mean, that doesn't feel like a good way to make him feel included when he had just joined the band. And I can't see what they had to lose from letting him be a part of the process.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: March 28, 2017, 05:34:43 AM »
Probably so he could spend more time learning the back catalogue instead of being at the studio all day probably not contributing much.