Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 61970 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
You had never heard of Lang? That guy was one of the hottest commodities in that lineup. He played with Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Robbie Williams, Paul Gilbert...
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »
It's interesting to me that some of them weren't interested in becoming full-time members of DT, yet it's starting to look like DT wasn't really looking for a traditional full-time drummer. Some of those guys might have been far more interested if they knew it was going to be more like a session kind of gig. This wouldn't work for DT, of course, they needed somebody who was ostensibly a proper band member.

And perhaps I'm the only one who sees it this way, but I always thought the auditions were strictly for the press. Mangini wanted the gig and they wanted him. Priester didn't come off looking so good, but that's the very basis for reality television which is what the auditions were. I seem to recall one of them suggesting just that and not being pleased about it. It was good publicity for them, but does anybody actually think Lang (who was my favorite) and Priester were ever really in the running? I thought the whole process was about as legitimate as one of those celebrity chef things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
Agreed, it was very smart PR but you can't watch that and think anyone other than Mangini was a serious contender.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
You had never heard of Lang? That guy was one of the hottest commodities in that lineup. He played with Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Robbie Williams, Paul Gilbert...

I've heard of Fripp, but couldn't tell you the first thing about him. Gabriel is popular, but I've only heard his radio songs, and while I know who Paul Gilbert is, I've never heard his solo stuff. Oh, and who is Robbie Williams? :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »

I've heard of Fripp, but couldn't tell you the first thing about him. Gabriel is popular, but I've only heard his radio songs, and while I know who Paul Gilbert is, I've never heard his solo stuff. Oh, and who is Robbie Williams? :lol

Brittish boy band guy that carved his own solo career.  You old cahoot! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
Lol, no offense, but you guys need to get of your small bubble a bit more :lol

Robbie Williams is one of the biggest-touring people in Europe. The guy essentially *only* plays stadiums because nothing else will hold that amount of people. He has sold 5 times more albums than Beyonce.
Robert Fripp, I *do* assume you've heard of this band called King Crimson?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:43:54 AM by rumborak »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »
Guilty as charged! :lol

Robert Fripp, I *do* assume you've heard of this band called King Crimson?

Yeah, I don't get King Crimson at all. DT covered Lark Tongues and WTF is that supposed to be?
Also, I rented out one of their CDs from the local library. Can't remember which one it was, but the first song was Elephant Talk. Again, WTF?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »

Well, no offense right back, but:  I don't think I or anyone else here "needs" to do any such thing.  Can't really speak for anyone else, but I just don't feel the need to go out of my way to seek out every obscure or not so obscure artist that others on the forum enjoy.  Yeah, I've discovered some amazing music over the years by recommendations of others, and have had my horizons expanded in the process.  But at the end of the day, it's only music, and my life is not in any way worse off by not knowing about some musician out there who may or may not be writing some amazing stuff.  I like what I like, and there is more than enough amazing music on my current list of artists that I don't particularly feel like I am missing out by thoroughly enjoying my current list of favorites.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2016, 10:59:18 AM »
I don't have enough time in my day to listen to music I actually like.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »
Right there with you, TAC.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
I had heard of Lang, but not the other two you mentioned, Tim. The other candidates I was familiar with.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »
I'm not suggesting you listen to Robbie Williams (neither do I), it's just surprising to hear when people aren't even aware of him, when he sold close to the same number of albums as Michael Jackson did.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2016, 11:06:23 AM »
I always felt the list of auditioners who *seriously* entertained joining DT was rather short. I mean, no way in hell can you tell me that Virgil Donati would essentially stop what he's doing and play Mike Portnoy fills day after day.
I think quite of few them would have been open to touring with them for an album or two, but too many of them were such a hot commodity that they weren't going to consign themselves to be a replacement drummer for the rest of their career.
I think you are grossly underselling the role as DT's drummer.  But that said, yeah, there is definitely something to that.  All of those guys were in demand within their own niches, and none of them were just sitting around looking for work.  But other than Roddy, who I think was pretty clear about not wanting to officially join, I would hate to speculate about any of their true intentions.  We just don't know for sure.  I'm not trying to downplay the fact that the audition videos had an obvious bias in the presentation.  But at the end of the day, we just don't really know too much about what any of these guys were actually thinking, other than what they have said. 

Here is my personal speculation (and it is only speculation), just based on the audition videos and my very vague (and perhaps faulty) recollection of what little snippets we found around the Internet afterward:

-Mangini:  Really wanted the gig.  Was perhaps chosen in advance, or at least the band was leaning that way.

-Priester:  Appears to have really wanted the gig.  At the very least, was happy to get the exposure.  Unless I am missing something, you don't cancel a couple of gigs and travel halfway around the world if you aren't serious.

-Wildoer:  Appears to have really wanted the gig and would likely have taken it if offered.  But he is in an interesting position.  He obviously has a great relationship with James and was very enthusiastic about working with the DT guys.  But abandoning Darkane and likely relocating to the U.S. would have entailed a HUGE life change.  Hard to say if he really would have taken the gig if offered, or if he was just putting his best foot forward for the exposure.  Or maybe doing it with the mindset of, "I'm really comfortable where I am, but no harm in testing the waters and going for it, and if by chance I am offered the job, I can make the decision at that point."  A lot of us in the working world make similar choices when we are relatively happy with where we are and an unexpected opportunity comes our way.

-Minneman:  He is hard to figure out.  Despite being briefly outspoken shortly after the footage was released, he is hard to read for me.  His comments after the fact seemed to say he would not have taken the gig.  But I remember feeling like there were other comments indicating he might have if everything fell into place in a way that made sense for him.  So I think maybe he was also kind of in the mindset of "I'm really comfortable where I am, but no harm in testing the waters and going for it, and if by chance I am offered the job, I can make the decision at that point," but maybe not exactly for the same types of reasons as Wildoer might have been.  I think he was perhaps more in the "I don't think this is a direction that will ultimately work for me, but let's just go in open minded, give it a shot, and see what happens."  I could be off, but that is my best guess.

-Lang and Donati seemed to me to have similar mindsets in terms of something along the lines of, "Eh, probably not the direction that will be best, but it's a good opportunity, so let's give it a shot and see what happens."

-Roddy, like Mangini and Wildoer is fairly easy to figure out because he told us in detail what he was thinking going in, so there is little mystery there.

Anyway, those are my best guesses.  But like anyone else's, a lot of it us pure speculation and "feeling" more than being fact-based.  I could be overly optimistic in my assessments in terms of whether any of these guys outside of Mangini was truly interested.  But ultimately, we know so little about these guys' private lives and their decision making processes that all we can do is guess based on the scantest of information.

I think this was spot on. Pretty much my same thoughts.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
I hope Myung does something with Wildoer. Wasn't like JM smiling when Peter was playing?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
I'm not suggesting you listen to Robbie Williams (neither do I), it's just surprising to hear when people aren't even aware of him, when he sold close to the same number of albums as Michael Jackson did.

Who's Michael Jackson?

;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »
I'm so out of touch with "what's popular"  I have never heard of Robbie Williams and I bet someone can name other really famous musicians that I have never heard of.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
I keep up with what is popular (at least here in the States), and I have never heard of Robbie Williams.  Is he a Europe-only thing?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »
See, Old TAC is not so clueless after all! :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »

Well, I dunno if I'd go THAT far.... :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
 :rollin

Love you guys! :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
 :tup

Nice job, hef.

T --  :rollin

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
TAC's I'm So Old List

1. No Facebook
2. No popular Culture  (See Robbie Williams)
3.  Sucks at Roulette's with the youth running them.

I'll leave these open for others to pile on. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
Still goes to the library to borrow books.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
You guys tell me you've never heard either of these two songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LN-mg_5GGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtknoBKJFDc

I mean, yeah, he's very Europe-centric, but damn, the guy is huge. HUGE!

And back towards the topic at hand, you don't have to know Robbie (grumble grumble, I guess :D), but trust me, you don't get the drummer job for Robbie Williams unless you are absolutely top notch material. Same with Peter Gabriel, and Robert Fripp, those two are meticulous about their live sound, you have to be in the top 10 of drummers to score their gig.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »
:tup

Nice job, hef.

T --  :rollin

I mean, yeah, he's very Europe-centric, but damn, the guy is huge. HUGE!
Is he huge in America?  Apparently not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
TAC's I'm So Old List

1. No Facebook

Just so happens that to share a file with a fellow forumer today, I had to wait until my 13 y/o came home from school to do it for me! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
Still goes to the library to borrow books.

Hell Yes! :metal :metal

I never leave home without my Library Card! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »

To the best of my recollection, I've never heard either of these two songs (until now).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
Don't worry Tim - I know Robbie Williams.  Nanu, nanu  ;)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »
TAC's I'm So Old List

1. No Facebook

Just so happens that to share a file with a fellow forumer today, I had to wait until my 13 y/o came home from school to do it for me! :lol

You're teeing it up for me Tim! :lol

Offline CB

« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2016, 03:34:48 PM »
I remember when Robbie Williams was fired from Take That in 1995, in Germany there was a hotline installed for desperate fans. I think the number was even in the TV news. They actually feared that fans could commit suicide ...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »
At some point he played in Boston in the 2000s, and it was definitely an event. Of course Boston is certainly more European-infused than most cities, so there's that.

What about Spice Girls? Do people here know who they are/were?

Offline Jester

« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
Count me in as not knowing Robbie Williams.  That probably doesn't help TAC much though because my cultural references are swiss cheese at this point.

TAC's so old he refers to actors as "that guy in that movie with the other guy."  Worse, he then has to be told that Chris Pine, Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling are not the same *guy*.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »
I've never heard of Chris Pine!

What about Spice Girls? Do people here know who they are/were?

Tell me what you want. What you really really want.