Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 61989 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »
Seems that JP did the drum parts for ADToE and TA, which MM then laid down.

I was wondering that. I mean, even how he described laying down the drum tracks for TA, it sounded like such a rush job. He practiced on a 4-piece kit, not really learning of the songs, and then showed up for 5 days in the studio, recording 3 songs per day. I mean, MM is an excellent drummer, but obviously there will have been zero time for him to try to develop some cool rhythm or whatever.
Yeah, I suspect too that they provided him with programmed drum tracks, and while he was free to play whatever he wanted in the end, under that kind of time pressure he likely could only interpret the tracks, not build on them.

EDIT: I'm wracking my brain right now, wasn't that the time when he was stuck for a while in Boston because of the snow storm, and people were scratching their heads at how he could actually be part of the writing process when he's up at his place in Boston? Looks like we now know.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
I think it is pretty clear (at least, again, from the transcription) that he expected to have more involvement in writing. Seems that JP did the drum parts for ADToE and TA, which MM then laid down. So I can see MM wanting that to stop so he can be an integral part of the recording/writing. And if that is indeed the case, I don't blame him for that.

Slight correction:  For ADTOE, JP did VERY basic drum patterns just to keep the beat and timing that they wanted.  Mike came up with the actual parts on his own, sometimes following the feel of the basic patterns JP had programmed from the scratch tracks, and sometimes deviating from them if he came up with something on his own.  I talked to JP quite a bit about the writing for The Astonishing, but we did not get into drum tracks.  But from what we discussed, it was probably similar.  But anyhow, my main point is this:

I don't think Mike is upset about writing drum parts.  Again, he pretty much did compose his own drum parts for the albums he has written on.  I think he is talking about writing and composing with the band as the songs are being written, and possibly having input into the composition beyond the drum parts.  He does actually compose music, so this is not as much of a stretch as it might be for other drummers.  But, yeah, I think what he was getting at is beyond just writing the drum tracks.

EDIT:  Yeah, what Rumborak posted fits as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »
I think it is pretty clear (at least, again, from the transcription) that he expected to have more involvement in writing. Seems that JP did the drum parts for ADToE and TA, which MM then laid down. So I can see MM wanting that to stop so he can be an integral part of the recording/writing. And if that is indeed the case, I don't blame him for that.

Well, it's not really like that. For ADTOE, MM said that JP gave him basic programmed drum tracks, nut he could play whatever he wanted inside that, let's call it, template. For TA, he also came up with the drum parts he wanted to play, even though he was probably given the indication to play some parts simpler to let the melodies and the story itself be the main focus. He's not, tet's say, disappointed for not being able to write the drum lines he wants to, but for not being able to contribute his own musical ideas (riffs, harmonies, patterns, sections, progressions, etc) to the band. He's very capable of writing songs by himself (he's said that many times) and that's why he's putting together a new solo album. He wants to contribute with more than just drum lines.

Hate to quote him on something like this, mainly because he uses it to justify his arguments on how he was also one of the main writers for DT, but, as Mike Portnoy has said many times: writing for the song isn't the same as writing your drum/bass/keys/guitar/whatever parts to a song. You don't get songwriting credit for that.

EDIT: I was writing all this and Bosk came, summarized it, and posted it faster than me :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jester

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
I think he is talking about writing and composing with the band as the songs are being written, and possibly having input into the composition beyond the drum parts.

Honestly, I can't think of any serious reason why we are three going on four albums into the Mangini era and he has been kept away from the majority of the writing sessions.  Oddly enough, part of the audition test was coming up with stuff on the spot.  In other words, writing by vibing off each and every member of DT (sans JLB for some reason).

The solution seems pretty simple.

Adding something else, Mangini mentioned bringing the basic narrative for Illumination Theory.  He also talks about the insane amount of reading he has done.  I thought the "what would you die for?" was a pretty interesting idea for a song.  Maybe he didn't pen the words, but he could bring in a bunch of ideas for Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie to gain inspiration and direction on their own lyrics.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
Well, while the drumtracks are "basic", they're by no means bare. They're Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 tracks, and they were programmed more specifically than people seem to think. They were complete tracks, and apparently sounded very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QaHdj4GTL8

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »
Well, while the drumtracks are "basic", they're by no means bare. They're Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 tracks, and they were programmed more specifically than people seem to think. They were complete tracks, and apparently sounded very good.

First -- bosk, rumbo, good posts. Thanks for the clarification, bosk.

What noxon posts is interesting though. Because if the drum tracks are done for the records this way, and they are programmed really specifically, it really doesn't leave THAT much room for a drummer to be overly creative. I mean, some fills can change (I am guessing here, I am not a drummer), but if a band is happy with the drum tracks from the demos using a program like this, I'd wager they wouldn't be all that different on the finished project. I mean, why would the drummer purposefully deviate significantly if the band likes the programmed versions?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
He did say he wrote stuff for DT13. It's just that JP wanted to do this big concept and they all agreed. It seems he wants to let out his creative juices with a solo album. Like JLB doing his solo albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »
Like JLB doing his solo albums.

Except, of course, that JLB hardly writes anything on his solo records (at least the last couple).  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
Like JLB doing his solo albums.

Except, of course, that JLB hardly writes anything on his solo records (at least the last couple).  :lol

but JLB solo albums are fantastic and even included MM in the past.

I read the interview, lots of negativity on there, and not even all DT related stuff.  MM just read like he wwas worn down and ready to go home and be with his family.  I bet the poor reception on this leg and the wear and tear on his body from doing this night in/out has left him exhausted.  I can relate on a smaller level, when I come home from brutal business trips, I am not thinking very highly of my job or anything for that matter.  If someone interviewed me I think I would come off very negative as well.  I do hope the band comes out strong on the next release and let's MM be himself on the album, and not just be the replacement drummer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »
I think he is talking about writing and composing with the band as the songs are being written, and possibly having input into the composition beyond the drum parts.

Honestly, I can't think of any serious reason why we are three going on four albums into the Mangini era and he has been kept away from the majority of the writing sessions.  Oddly enough, part of the audition test was coming up with stuff on the spot.  In other words, writing by vibing off each and every member of DT (sans JLB for some reason).

The solution seems pretty simple.

Adding something else, Mangini mentioned bringing the basic narrative for Illumination Theory.  He also talks about the insane amount of reading he has done.  I thought the "what would you die for?" was a pretty interesting idea for a song.  Maybe he didn't pen the words, but he could bring in a bunch of ideas for Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie to gain inspiration and direction on their own lyrics.

Well, yeah, but as Ben_Jamin already pointed out, that didn't happen on the last album just because of the unique nature of it and how JP wanted to compose that album differently.  With ADTOE, as has been said in the past, they wrote it without MM just because of the timing of him being new in the band.  But then he was a full participant on DT12.  And then not on TA, again because that was a completely different beast and was JP's baby.  I don't get the sense that there is any sort of push for him to be excluded going forward.

First -- bosk, rumbo, good posts. Thanks for the clarification, bosk.

What noxon posts is interesting though. Because if the drum tracks are done for the records this way, and they are programmed really specifically, it really doesn't leave THAT much room for a drummer to be overly creative. I mean, some fills can change (I am guessing here, I am not a drummer), but if a band is happy with the drum tracks from the demos using a program like this, I'd wager they wouldn't be all that different on the finished project. I mean, why would the drummer purposefully deviate significantly if the band likes the programmed versions?

Yeah, I hear what you are saying.  And I don't know enough to go into percentages or anything like that.  But the thing with those was, JP told him to play whatever he wanted and that those were just suggestions that JP programmed as scratch tracks just to record the demos.  MM had a lot of freedom to do what he wanted.  And he said that in some places, he did change some of the parts significantly.  In others, he followed along with the scratch track with little modification.  How much he deviated in terms of what specific sections of songs, or what percentage of the album, or whatever, I have no idea.  I only know that in some places he did.  In others he did not.  Now, that being said, in light of the fact that JP is an experienced composer and that his basic drum ideas were probably good ideas for the feeling a song called for in most places, or the fact that MM was the new guy and wanted to be somewhat deferential to what was written, it may be more likely than not that he kept most of the original ideas and deviated only in a small percentage of passages.  That wouldn't surprise me at all.  But we really don't know that level of detail and can only guess.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
But then he was a full participant on DT12.

Ehhh, that's a stretch. This is one of the cases where the written version makes it sound better than what MM actually said. When you listen to the video, he's rather using DT12 as an example of, even when he was supposedly included, it was still at a minimal level. He immediately follows it with "you know, it's 10%!"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:12:06 PM by rumborak »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
I think from reading past interviews if he had say in his drum sound and participating in any of the writing process he'd feel more of a team, a part of a band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »
I think that's just not how DT operates anymore. Even before MP left it had coalesced into MP/JP/JR, and when MP left it was JP/JR from there on. The whole "band effort" thing of ADTOE and DT12, I get the impression, was mostly window dressing to appease the fans.

It's a bummer the clip doesn't exist on YouTube, but this whole thing reminds me of a scene in "Rockstar", where Izzy shows up for recording the new album.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:32:42 PM by rumborak »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
Well, please share with us the source of your information then since we are all dying to know.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
Well, please share with us the source of your information then since we are all dying to know.

Mike Mangini: "I was like, 10%. ADTOE and TA, I wasn't included."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »
I can't remember the exact wording, but I remember that JP basically said, when they were getting a new drummer, that they wanted someone who could step in and keep the engine moving, not someone who would rock the boat and do anything outside of their comfort zone.

Also, consider that a lot of fans have expressed displeasure with how the drums have sounded on all of the MM era albums, and if he agrees, then he is someone who thinks, "Not only am I am not an equal member, but they aren't even mixing my drums to where I sound great on the records."  For a guy like Mangini who puts so much thought and care into his playing, that has to be a kick in the groin.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »

Quoting this for truth. SD programming can be really, really detailed.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2016, 08:01:10 PM »
When I watched the video I was thinking that part of MM's tone and feel were based on the language gap. Interviewer spoke English just fine, but no matter how well somebody has learned English there's a lack of fluidity when it's not their first, primary language. Add to that, interviewer was just reading off prepared questions, and wasn't really looking to "converse." I think that creates a situation where it's easy to give pat answers and remain relatively disengaged.

That said, dude certainly didn't seem particularly happy with his role in the band or the way things are going. While he might not have written songs for Steve Vai, I'd be willing to bet there was a band mentality there where they got together and jammed. DT hasn't seemed to work that way for quite a while. He is for all intents and purposes a session guy but with all of the work of touring and none of the freedom.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him bolt, just for the sake of giving the rest of them a much-needed kick in the ass. They need to do something beyond two guys writing DT By Numbers. I don't really see them as a rock band anymore. The whole thing's become sterile and formulaic. JMX will never leave because that's what he does. The core three guys seem content to just do the same thing until they can't anymore. It'd be refreshing to see a second drummer leave for essentially the same reason. Maybe they'd reevaluate. Maybe they'd retire. Maybe they'd hire the next guy and continue down the same path. From my perspective that's gambling with the house's money.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
Your point is valid, yet I don't know if any band 30+ years and 13 albums (plus several live releases) needs a kick in the butt. They are on the home stretch and I would never begrudge anyone at that point in their career (or life) for not wanting to deviate much from their comfort level.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »
Your point is valid, yet I don't know if any band 30+ years and 13 albums (plus several live releases) needs a kick in the butt. They are on the home stretch and I would never begrudge anyone at that point in their career (or life) for not wanting to deviate much from their comfort level.
Well that's an interesting take on it. Admittedly I still view them as youngsters in a relative sense among my favorite bands. I suppose if they want to progress on into nostalgia act territory that's their business. But it seems to me that the main point is whether or not Mangini wants to be Eric Singer or an actual band-member. That interview suggests the latter. And insofar as my point goes, whether or not they regain my interest. I'd love for them to, but at this point it's not really weighing all that heavily for me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:14 PM »
That said, dude certainly didn't seem particularly happy with his role in the band or the way things are going. While he might not have written songs for Steve Vai, I'd be willing to bet there was a band mentality there where they got together and jammed. DT hasn't seemed to work that way for quite a while. He is for all intents and purposes a session guy but with all of the work of touring and none of the freedom.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him bolt, just for the sake of giving the rest of them a much-needed kick in the ass. They need to do something beyond two guys writing DT By Numbers. I don't really see them as a rock band anymore. The whole thing's become sterile and formulaic. JMX will never leave because that's what he does. The core three guys seem content to just do the same thing until they can't anymore. It'd be refreshing to see a second drummer leave for essentially the same reason. Maybe they'd reevaluate. Maybe they'd retire. Maybe they'd hire the next guy and continue down the same path. From my perspective that's gambling with the house's money.

I've mostly disconnected from listening to DT for quite awhile. The last album that I enjoyed was SC, and that not as much as the material that came before. I'm still interested in reading about what they're doing, but none of the music interests me anymore. I never knew how to put my feelings about them in words until I read this post. You nailed it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
He has talked about this publicly last November. I think the context of the "replacement" drummer is in their decision at the time to include non-TA songs in the set:

November 11: Seems like the crowd reaaaally likes hearing our adjusted set/new encore of oldies the last couple of shows. They will stay in!

November 11: Those at the shows probably noticed that I'm playing them in a more "annihilator-ish" kick drum kind of way ; ) and changing the drum fill sections to my way, but keeping the "staple" parts that we all know. I'm also throwing in the lefty/righty thing again when there are key changes. I can't wait to do this on the all the different songs for 2017.

November 14: I believe that the comments on a comment I made on how I am approaching our new encore of "oldies" match how I'm playing them this round. i.e. You all (all that I saw anyway,) and I are on the same page. I realize that my career has been overwhelmingly so, as a 'replacement' guy even though nobody can essentially be replaced. My childhood drum teacher told me once that talent is not enough and in such cases as getting a job means "playing the song 300 times." i.e. doing homework and respecting the original. I believe that's called "respect."

He said 'that' guy gets the gig. So I honor the parts I feel that people want to hear and I amp up other things like slightly more 'metal' kick drum spurts and Bonham esc. swing to some grooves. Other than that, I will continue to lose my mind my way in fill sections like As I Am, but I won't change the main 'big' drum fill in Pull Me Under. I'll keep most main beats. The band guys need the music to sound a certain way, but prefer me to do my thing that got me the job in many places. It is all OK with me. I also believe that in a moral kind of way, being selfish and "artistic" over being a team person and putting yourself second is a conservative and safe way to be. I suppose balance or moderation are good words to think about too.

Offline Jester

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:36 AM »
I suppose balance or moderation are good words to think about too.

I remember this.  It was on Blabbermouth under the title "New" DT drummer driven to alcoholism as he continues to lose his mind on tour.

Fortunately, Blabbermouth was forced to post a retraction.  It wasn't the tour that drove him to the bottle.  It was the constant questions and references to being the "New" DT drummer six year into his tenure.  That and having to wear clothes during the TA tour because it is *theatRe"
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »
I also remembered that Mangini said he was " relieved " not to be included in the writing for ADTOE.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2016, 04:46:33 AM »

Quoting this for truth. SD programming can be really, really detailed.

I've read many times that John only laid down drum and bass patterns for feel and timing. . ..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »
I entirely respect MM's approach here, but am I the only one who wishes he sometimes *didn't* respect the original and did his own take on a song or two? I feel MM is stricter with the songs than even MP was.

He is for all intents and purposes a session guy but with all of the work of touring and none of the freedom.

The odd thing is, there isn't a need to. Look at Marco Minnemann's role for Steven Wilson. Steven too writes all the music himself, but it seems when it comes to recording them he leaves Marco enough freedom to leave his indelible mark on the tracks. There are a lot of places where you can tell that it was Marco's idea to put that there.
That said, IIRC, at least for Porcupine Tree I remember reading that he would trade recordings with Gavin Harrison during writing. So, it seems the drummer is in the loop a lot earlier than MM is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:03:32 AM by rumborak »

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2016, 07:09:33 AM »
I suppose if they want to progress on into nostalgia act territory that's their business

They've been steadily releasing and performing new music for their entire career and haven't really deviated from that in recent years. You may think that the new music is DT by the numbers but that's not really what I'd classify as a nostalgia act. When the band starts performing the same old tired routine and not releasing any new music, then you'll have a case.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2016, 07:45:24 AM »
The odd thing is, there isn't a need to. Look at Marco Minnemann's role for Steven Wilson. Steven too writes all the music himself, but it seems when it comes to recording them he leaves Marco enough freedom to leave his indelible mark on the tracks. There are a lot of places where you can tell that it was Marco's idea to put that there.
That said, IIRC, at least for Porcupine Tree I remember reading that he would trade recordings with Gavin Harrison during writing. So, it seems the drummer is in the loop a lot earlier than MM is.

Fun that you mention this, considering that Steven and Marco had some "issues" earlier in the year. In summary: Marco and Guthrie could't commit for the whole SW tour because they already had dates coming with The Aristocrats. Steven wasn't happy about this, heplaced them and, when the album won an award or something, Steven didn't want to consider GG or MM.

I found a link to what happened https://m.reddit.com/r/progrockmusic/comments/547wfa/marco_minnemannsteven_wilson_drama/
I know is reddit, but I did see the original post on Marco's fb page.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2016, 07:58:08 AM »
I suppose if they want to progress on into nostalgia act territory that's their business

They've been steadily releasing and performing new music for their entire career and haven't really deviated from that in recent years. You may think that the new music is DT by the numbers but that's not really what I'd classify as a nostalgia act. When the band starts performing the same old tired routine and not releasing any new music, then you'll have a case.

Yes I totally agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »

I disagree. I don't know how much Mangini songs you have heard outside DT but you can definitely hear Mangini-isms all over especially in the self-titled album. Example, in Illumination Theory, we start with simultaneous playing of three cymbal patterns with a bass and snare pattern, a signature Mangini style that he demos in his workshops. Then later on in the song, you hear the drums going up and down the scale, the bass drums being involved more in setting the groove than the snare, the lefty-righty shifts to signal key changes, playing ghost notes on the left and right hi-hats and rides, at least three polyrhythms, playing a syncopated hi-hat while doing an odd-metered section (which he also did in BAI), demonstrations of high speed drumming, and a couple of extended one-hand drum rolls. That's just in one song. That does not yet leave an indelible mark?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
I don't know. Maybe it's a level where you need to be a drummer to hear it. With MP, Marco, Gavin etc., I can hear their very distinct style, right out of the gate. MM, I must say no. Frankly, I would mostly tell by the snare sound at this point.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »

I disagree. I don't know how much Mangini songs you have heard outside DT but you can definitely hear Mangini-isms all over especially in the self-titled album. Example, in Illumination Theory, we start with simultaneous playing of three cymbal patterns with a bass and snare pattern, a signature Mangini style that he demos in his workshops. Then later on in the song, you hear the drums going up and down the scale, the bass drums being involved more in setting the groove than the snare, the lefty-righty shifts to signal key changes, playing ghost notes on the left and right hi-hats and rides, at least three polyrhythms, playing a syncopated hi-hat while doing an odd-metered section (which he also did in BAI), demonstrations of high speed drumming, and a couple of extended one-hand drum rolls. That's just in one song. That does not yet leave an indelible mark?

The problem with this Erwin is that the drum production on the albums muds/clouds everything Mangini does. It is barely noticeable.

Edit: Reading/adding to Rumborak's post...the production on the recordings with the drummers he mentions highlights all the strengths and nuances from each drummer.
I revisited the ADTOE and was able to hear the Mangini nuances a bit more, but you struggle to hear them in DT 12 and and in TA. In fact, revisiting ADTOE made me appreiciate the drum sound more than what I had previously said compared to DT 12 and TA. Seems like so far the drum sound in ADTOE is the best Mangini sound to date in DT.

EDIT 2- Replaced fart with far LOL

Offline emtee

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2016, 08:46:06 AM »
I'm sure MM has a "style" but as he states, he has largely been a replacement drummer so he has not been in many situations
where he got to create/develop a "style" that becomes solidified over many albums. I would say his #1 identifier for me is his hand
and foot speed. That is not really a style but I can usually recognize his playing just by his speed and dexterity.

I would love to here him let loose and be able to do whatever he wants.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
FWIW, I talked with Mike and spent some time with him last night at the last show of the tour, and while I didn't bring this up specifically (I thought it might be rude) , he was very enthusiastic and energetic and outgoing and gracious. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
FWIW, I talked with Mike and spent some time with him last night at the last show of the tour, and while I didn't bring this up specifically (I thought it might be rude) , he was very enthusiastic and energetic and outgoing and gracious.

What else did you find out about DT land?

-US Tour with Images?
-TA DVD? - Just read other thread.
-Recording of new album?