Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 61983 times)

Offline Jester

Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
I have some thoughts, but I almost think the DT fans talking about this type of stuff is part of what might be bringing him down.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »
I haven't watched/read the interview, but I don't see MM leaving the band. He wanted this so much, and committed to the band, and this is his job now. Even from old interviews on the last tour (and maybe ADTOE?) he sounded overwhelmed with the work involved playing all of these songs every night with the click. Might have just caught him on a bad day?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:47 PM »
I think some people are overreacting.  He did say he doesn't feel like he contributes much to the band, but he also said it wasn't very different than other bands he's been in.  And he also said many times that a band is a team effort, and that he's comfortable filling his role.  And he eventually admitted that the stuff he does write is mostly not up to par with DT material anyway.  I mean, I doubt he wrote much for Stevie Vai.  Maybe he was more exasperated at having to answer that question so many times.  Everyone asks for his "contribution," and he's a drummer in a band with 4 other very talented musicians.  Although some drummers contribute a lot to writing rock songs, they're not usually the main composers, I would guess.  Other than a few songs, I really don't think Portnoy contributed a ton, either.  Since Jordan joined the band, it seems like it's mostly been JP and Jordan the whole time.  Maybe when Moore was in the band, it was more balanced, with more input with Myung, and some from James.

As for the touring and the stress on the family, pretty much everyone thinks that.  JP has mentioned it before...that's why he wrote Endless Sacrifice.  But he also said he really didn't want to go back to teaching at Berklee.  He said "there’s going to be a day that traveling around as an older man is not really the thing," but that doesn't necessarily sound like he's thinking of leaving immediately.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline thosava

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 12:34:19 AM »
I really don't hope this is the case, but if this is what eventually drives him away from the band, would they even consider asking Portnoy? Or would they find someone else?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:33 AM »
I wouldn't read too much into the interview. He's just stating facts, and in my eyes it comes off more as a type of "i have a specific role to fill" type of answer.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 05:10:59 AM »
I wouldn't go into "omg he's gonna leave the band" panic mode, but it's clear that he's not 100% happy with his role in the band.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 05:33:40 AM »
During TA's 'cycle', we've hardly heard anything about Myung and Mangini. It certainly feels like they're the "other guys" in the background in all of this. I mean, Petrucci wrote all the lyrics and created the story, Rudess helped with the music, and LaBrie had all the character voicings to do, whereas it feels like Myung and Mangini were effectively told "Just stay back and play what we tell you to play", not making a significant creative contribution to the album. I mean, can you think of a really memorable fill on the album by Mangini? If anything, I think his and Myung's most memorable moment is the simple backing to Petrucci's solo on A New Beginning.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 06:11:27 AM »
And he eventually admitted that the stuff he does write is mostly not up to par with DT material anyway.  I mean, I doubt he wrote much for Stevie Vai.  Maybe he was more exasperated at having to answer that question so many times.  Everyone asks for his "contribution," and he's a drummer in a band with 4 other very talented musicians.  Although some drummers contribute a lot to writing rock songs, they're not usually the main composers, I would guess. 

Yeah, but I think that's exactly what exasperates him. As he said himself in the interview, for all his life he's been a replacement drummer. I think he joined DT with the explicit hope that this time he's *not* that. And now after 6 years he has to admit "nope, still that. Still no input."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »
I wouldn't go into "omg he's gonna leave the band" panic mode, but it's clear that he's not 100% happy with his role in the band.

This is basically my read of the interview.

If he truly is not 100% happy then he needs to do himself a favor and mention a couple things to the boys (if he hasn't already):
  • Maybe try to do a tour without a click and the entire production of the show resting on MM, might make touring less stressful
  • Try to include MM in the song writing for the next album
I think those two (very basic) things would help MM out a lot.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:41 AM »
Mangini seems like the type of guy who really likes being in a band, but also doesn't like being too far away from his home and family. IMO, he's sounded somewhat burnt out since the first tour with the guys. Wouldn't be surprised if he was feeling ready to return to more of a normal life.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »
I wonder if the more recent success of DT in the mainstream (increasingly higher chart placing for albums, Grammy nominations, for example), thus the lure of longer and more widespread tours, is starting to take a toll on the band, all of whom are not exactly spring chickens.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
I read the transcription. I think it is obvious that he's taking the good with the bad.

Let's look at it:

He misses his family a lot.
He misses teaching.
He seems not satisfied in contributing to two of the last three DT records (I don't blame him).
He refers to DT as a chapter in his life (remember, all chapters come to an end).

The man has a lot on his plate, and had a life established for years before this opportunity came up. Part of him, I'm sure, loves being in DT, loves performing regularly, etc. But overall, what really stood out to me were the negatives he brought up. I'm not saying MM is going to ditch DT tomorrow, but I do think, once the tour dates for 2017 come to an end, and the band has a break, he may consider it (based on what I read). But that's just me speculating and reading the tea leaves...

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
I mean, can you think of a really memorable fill on the album by Mangini?

???  Um, several. 

As far as the interview itself, definitely a lot of things to chew on.  Hard to say how much to read into it.  MM just has a very..."different" personality and way of expressing himself.  Often times, I frankly cannot figure out where he is coming from on some things.  So I hesitate to try to figure him out from a single interview.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »
bosk -- I haven't had the opportunity to meet MM, but from what I have read over the years, I think what you said in regard to his personality is spot-on. It is hard to read him. He's just a bit quirky when it comes to saying things. So good point overall. Probably shouldn't read TOO deeply into it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »
I read the transcription. I think it is obvious that he's taking the good with the bad.

Let's look at it:

He misses his family a lot.
He misses teaching.
He seems not satisfied in contributing to two of the last three DT records (I don't blame him).
He refers to DT as a chapter in his life (remember, all chapters come to an end).

The man has a lot on his plate, and had a life established for years before this opportunity came up. Part of him, I'm sure, loves being in DT, loves performing regularly, etc. But overall, what really stood out to me were the negatives he brought up. I'm not saying MM is going to ditch DT tomorrow, but I do think, once the tour dates for 2017 come to an end, and the band has a break, he may consider it (based on what I read). But that's just me speculating and reading the tea leaves...

Brian, if you get the chance, watch the video.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
Brian, if you get the chance, watch the video.

Yeah, the video helps judge how he says some of the things he said. Like Kev said earlier, his body language while he is saying (or not saying things) tells you a lot.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
Haven't watched it, so I can't speak to tone or non-verbal cues.

But reading it, it sounds like something by Mangini.  He's a different cat.  In a lot of his FB posts or interview answers, he often says things in ways that would never occur to me to say them.  He thinks differently.  Hell, I posted a really long FB post a couple of days ago, and I still don't understand WTF he was even trying to say.

He may be frustrated, but just because he is saying things that many "normal" people might not say, or the way they might say, doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong.  It could just be his weird way to communicate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »
He kind of lost me when asked about the current tour.

He replies something like, "it's different, just really different" and then starts talking about his tour with UK and not liking to wear so many
clothes when he plays. I'm trying to find some correlation there but maybe his mind just shifted gears for a moment.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
BTW, a general comment, in a discussion like this it's indispensable to watch the actual video. Obviously this whole thing hinges on his mood and intent.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »
Wait til Blabbermouth gets a hold of it.  :rollin

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
BTW, a general comment, in a discussion like this it's indispensable to watch the actual video. Obviously this whole thing hinges on his mood and intent.
Agreed.  As is often the case, I think the printed word comes across much more bluntly than actually hearing/seeing him talk.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »

He replies something like, "it's different, just really different" and then starts talking about his tour with UK and not liking to wear so many
clothes when he plays. I'm trying to find some correlation there but maybe his mind just shifted gears for a moment.

Well, it's kinda of a tangent on "playing in theaters require a different mindset and different way to stage a show". It's related, in that his fear was that when they decided to do theaters, it'd be like when he played with U.K.

Offline emtee

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »

Well, it's kinda of a tangent on "playing in theaters require a different mindset and different way to stage a show". It's related, in that his fear was that when they decided to do theaters, it'd be like when he played with U.K.

Ahhh gotcha.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »

At work I just read the transcription and was thinking: wow not good. Now I'm at home watching the video I think it's far overlooked. I see MM explaining the facts as it is and how he is part of the band right now filling his role, answering the questions as it is ..smiling and with humor. He will contribute. Leaving? Hell no.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
I feel bad for MM. The difference is night and day from when he got the gig to now. I don't blame him though, honestly. Not being a part of 2/3 of the records they've released with him must be quite frustrating.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
Now I'm at home watching the video I think it's far overlooked. I see MM explaining the facts as it is and how he is part of the band right now filling his role, answering the questions as it is ..smiling and with humor. He will contribute. Leaving? Hell no.

That was my take on it.  He's just trying to be accurate.

He is a quirky guy, and he mentioned he read a ton of heavy philosophy in the past.  I think he was just trying to be philosophically accurate (and in the process, somewhat over-thinking some of his interview answers compared to what a lot of people expect out of someone in a rock band).  I took from it that he doesn't make a lot of contributions, and that's not bad or good...it just is what it is.

If he was exasperated in any way, it might have been from constantly being asked that question.  I don't think there's any band out there where the drummer is expected to contribute a ton to the writing, and yet MM is constantly asked about his lack of influence on ADTOE, what his influence was on DT12, and now again on his lack of influence on TA.  It sounded to me at least as likely that he was tired of being expected to have a ton of influence when his role is simply a drummer in a band full of expert musicians.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »

At work I just read the transcription and was thinking: wow not good. Now I'm at home watching the video I think it's far overlooked. I see MM explaining the facts as it is and how he is part of the band right now filling his role, answering the questions as it is ..smiling and with humor. He will contribute. Leaving? Hell no.

Well ... I think I have to disagree there a bit. While, as others have pointed out, MM has a uniquely direct and sometimes hard-to-read manner of talking about stuff, there is no question that he has never been this frank and non-evasive in his statements about his lack of influence on DT's creative direction. Now, I agree that one can not particularly project any future action on his part from these statements, but there's no question that he currently is significantly more frustrated than we have ever seen him. Nobody should sell their house in expectation of MM quitting the band, but you also can't gloss over the fact that this was a very frustrated and bitter Mike Mangini on that day.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:30:32 AM by rumborak »

Offline jsbru

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
Well, I doubt everyone's happy with the second leg of this tour.  A band that has had the success they have had is probably a bit agitated that they're playing to such small crowds on most nights.

They've been touring all year.  Maybe he's just tired.  If you interview me when I'm tired, I'll tell you I hate my job, even though it's sorta OK.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »

That's good to know. I can't watch right now. But that's cool. Still, however, I hope Blabbermouth doesn't jump on the transcription and make a shit storm for the band. MM might have to be careful what he says in the future.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jsbru

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
I don't take from the interview that he'd never leave, but I do take from it that he might eventually do so.  I think he'll stick around for the next album at least, and probably do the tour after that.  But we could be talking at least three more years for that.  I think that's what I took from his body language...not that he'll leave right away, but that he'll probably give one more album/tour cycle a shot and then possibly hang it up.

Despite its longevity, DT's lineup has been pretty consistent.  Most bands aren't this tight.  Yes went through dozens of lineup changes.  Genesis went through a bunch of attrition.

I kind of wonder when James might decide he wants to hang it up.  I think at some point, he's going to decide, "hey, my voice isn't what it used to be...these things happen when you age as a vocalist."  Although TA was probably one of his best works with the band, I think he might decide sometime soon that he doesn't want to do all the touring.  DT could get its own version of Jon Davison.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online Mladen

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
Mangini comes off tired and down in this interview. This isn't the first instance, though. I remember him referring to the DT12 tour with "uhm, would you like to be playing it?" He's got a very big, taxing job that's bound to exhaust you. At this point, I bet it's a bit too much for all of them.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »
Mangini comes off tired and down in this interview. This isn't the first instance, though. I remember him referring to the DT12 tour with "uhm, would you like to be playing it?" He's got a very big, taxing job that's bound to exhaust you. At this point, I bet it's a bit too much for all of them.

I don't get the impression that JP, JR, or JM feel this way.  JR seems pretty excited about this album...he's always on Facebook taking selfies in every different city he visits.  And JR and JP seem pretty excited to do their "Exploring the Astonishing Themes" videos.

I do think JM wants to contribute more to the next album, and perhaps MM wants to do the same.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
In the JMX interviews I've read this year he's seemed to be more excited about the Jelly Jam album and tour than TA, but that may just be him drumming up his side project more, because it's less familiar to people.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
I don't take from the interview that he'd never leave, but I do take from it that he might eventually do so.  I think he'll stick around for the next album at least, and probably do the tour after that.  But we could be talking at least three more years for that.  I think that's what I took from his body language...not that he'll leave right away, but that he'll probably give one more album/tour cycle a shot and then possibly hang it up.

Despite its longevity, DT's lineup has been pretty consistent.  Most bands aren't this tight.  Yes went through dozens of lineup changes.  Genesis went through a bunch of attrition.

I kind of wonder when James might decide he wants to hang it up.  I think at some point, he's going to decide, "hey, my voice isn't what it used to be...these things happen when you age as a vocalist."  Although TA was probably one of his best works with the band, I think he might decide sometime soon that he doesn't want to do all the touring.  DT could get its own version of Jon Davison.

It would suck to see MM leave, and while I get your point on "one more album/tour cycle and then we'll see", I wouldn't be so sure it's going to end up that way. We can't decide how he truly feels or not, but if we can be sure of one thing from this interview, as well as other comments on his fb page, etc, is that he really wants more writing involvement with the band.

Now, let's see their inmediate plans: The TA tour ends today, and then they'll have a break untill the last days of January, when the Images, Words & Beyond tour starts. We don't know the setlist yet, but it's going to be mostly stuff from pre-MM DT, even though they will definitely include some ADTOE, DT12 and TA in there. The dates they've announced so far end at the last days of February, which means a full tour month for the band.
After that, they'll either continue that tour on more cities/countries, continue the TA tour on Asia/Australia, etc, or take a couple months off and then start the new album. Those are the 3 possible options I think they have (I doubt they would take a long break after that).

So, depending on how long the touring for next year goes and what plans they have for the future album (remember they tend to start talking about their next album with a lot of anticipation), Mike would have to consider all the options he has. If the band plans to tour for most of 2017 with the IAW thing, he might not be a big fan of the idea, since that would mean 2 full years of touring, he would hate to leave his family for that long time, plus all the effort and sacrifice it takes to complete the tour, whis is, basically, celebrating the old days, not their current music.

If they talk about the new album soon and they (most likely JP) say they want to make it a full band collaboration again, Mike migh give it a shot, because that's basically what he wants. But if their next album plan is more on the side of "Jordan and I will come up with most stuff and you can add your own touch later", that could be a big turning point for Mangini.

In the JMX interviews I've read this year he's seemed to be more excited about the Jelly Jam album and tour than TA, but that may just be him drumming up his side project more, because it's less familiar to people.

It might be reading too much into it, but I remember the time TJJ was touring earlier this year, and they posted lots of pictures, and, every time JM appeared, he was smiling  :eek  We all know how Myung, the silent man, basically never appears smiling on any DT photo ever taken. Fans went nuts on their fb page  :lol
Not saying he's unhappy with DT or anything like that, just commenting, since you mentioned it
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »
I think it is pretty clear (at least, again, from the transcription) that he expected to have more involvement in writing. Seems that JP did the drum parts for ADToE and TA, which MM then laid down. So I can see MM wanting that to stop so he can be an integral part of the recording/writing. And if that is indeed the case, I don't blame him for that.

www.roadstomadness.com