Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 61967 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #560 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »
I like Derek more than Kevin but Jordan the most up until his solos just all became wanking on the continuum and he lost his SFAM lead sound - which was the best one.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #561 on: January 10, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »
I personally wouldn't call the dynamics what I love about drums. For me, there's nothing more delightful than when I hear the actual instrument. Like, the subtle scratch of the stick over the drum skin, the always slightly different sound of the ride bell when hit. When I get the impression I'm sitting next to the drums, that's when it sounds good.

JP's guitar sound is for the most part fantastic, and in the top 5 of my favorite guitar sounds. At the same time I wish he chucked the suspended Floyd Rose 7-string going through a Triple Rectifier Mesa Boogie with Axe-FX chorus and delay occasionally, for a Strat and an Orange amp. I think FII was the only album where he played a Strat.

Amen to that. So much. :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Evai

« Reply #562 on: January 10, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
I think JP aims to ultimately sound like one of Jordans solo patches
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #563 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
My problem with the solo section isn't the drumming at all, but that Jordan brutally murdered one of Derek's best keyboard solos ever (it gets even worse when you realize Derek hates keytars with all his soul)  :'(

And, for the record, I've always prefered Jordan over Derek and Kevin, but he changes their keyboard solos way too much and just plays fast scale runs and all thar  :-\
I have another recording of Jordan playing that solo from later in the tour, and it sounds much better. Less runs, more melodic. So I guess it depended on the night. Sad that he couldn't do that on the DVD though.

Offline 7th

« Reply #564 on: January 10, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
I think JP aims to ultimately sound like one of Jordans solo patches

I like it when JP's solos are so fast and precise that it sounds like an old coin-op Galaga challenge mode or something totally 8-bit.  I'd like to see JP take a page out of Gary Clarke Jr's book and strip down to a cheap Epiphone and fuzz pedal and record a blues record.  He should sing too.  That would be awesome.  He could write songs about weightlifting and stuff, it would be heavy...     
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #565 on: January 10, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
BTFW performance is great, except for the guitar solo section of Trial of Tears, where MM's playing was stiff.

It reminds me of that thing I heard on my degree that absolute world class orchestra musicians have been so regimented to read music their whole life and to play other people's music..

...that if you ask them to just improvise - they wouldn't know how to.

Obviously I don't think Mangini doesn't know how to improvise but that section feels like he's doing a pre-thought out "solo" than just going for it and playing for the moment.

Mangini was not improvising in the guitar solo section. He's playing exactly to the beat, and the problem was he was too exact. The good parts were the ones where he tried to sneak in moments to hit a double bass.

Are you talking about the fill before the guitar solo? If so, that fill is awesome.  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #566 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
Just watched this again, and remembered how much more awesome this version is than the BTFW version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiiOKa2pGY

:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
I like BTFW overall, but Trial of Tears doesn't work for me on that. The fusion solo section doesn't groove at all.

My problem with the solo section isn't the drumming at all, but that Jordan brutally murdered one of Derek's best keyboard solos ever (it gets even worse when you realize Derek hates keytars with all his soul)  :'(

And, for the record, I've always prefered Jordan over Derek and Kevin, but he changes their keyboard solos way too much and just plays fast scale runs and all thar  :-\

Yep.  As awesome as Rudess is, whenever he changes keyboard solos originally done by Moore or Sherinian, he butchers them. 

Also, even though it is one of my favorite DT songs, Trial of Tears is one of their songs where the live versions never touch the studio version.  Granted, I think it is rare for live versions to be better anyway, but the distance on that one is pretty wide, IMO.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #568 on: January 12, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
Just watched this again, and remembered how much more awesome this version is than the BTFW version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiiOKa2pGY

:metal

Oh, man, I forgot how good that was. Gets me even more excited for the next album, even though it's still a looooong wait for it :sad:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #569 on: January 12, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »
Also, even though it is one of my favorite DT songs, Trial of Tears is one of their songs where the live versions never touch the studio version.  Granted, I think it is rare for live versions to be better anyway, but the distance on that one is pretty wide, IMO.
Yep, I agree with this. Blind Faith is another one of those for me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #570 on: January 12, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
Can we rename the thread? This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the interview anymore.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #571 on: January 12, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
Since when does the thread content have anything to do with the thread title?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #572 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
I think I'd be disappointed if a DTF thread went this long without going off topic.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #573 on: January 12, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
Hey, at least we're still talking about the guy in the thread title. That says something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pcs90

« Reply #574 on: January 12, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
Yeah, compared to some other threads, this really isn't off topic at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:09 AM »
I think I'd be disappointed if a DTF thread went this long without going off topic.

Cheese.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #576 on: January 13, 2017, 07:14:37 AM »
Cheese sticks every day, now I'm spoiled beyond my wildest dreams.

(Speaking of Blind Faith, and cheese)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #577 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
Mozzarella
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #578 on: January 13, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »
To try to keep this "in topic", here's a very nice interview (or something like that) from 2014 with Mike where he explains some aspects of his technique, and talks about things like dynamics, accuracy, etc. It's a really cool read, if you ask me.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/5-steps-to-playing-drums-the-mike-mangini-way-604583
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
I felt it a bit surreal reading that article, especially in this section:

. It's not the timing of the drum machine that makes it sound unpleasant and robotic to most of us, it's the dynamics that give it the awful sound.

I must wonder, is he unaware of what a lot of people say about his drumming?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #580 on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »

. It's not the timing of the drum machine that makes it sound unpleasant and robotic to most of us, it's the dynamics that give it the awful sound.

Mike's a very dynamic player, it's just the way his drums end up sitting in the mix that makes his playing sound "flat" for some people (I actually enjoy his playing a lot).
I think he's aware of what some people say about him being "robotic", but he chooses to not listen to them, which is a wise move imo. He's got a very tough job replacing MP and he's completely aware that he won't be able to please all the fans.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #581 on: January 14, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »
Breaking All Illusions is very dynamic.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #582 on: January 14, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
Breaking All Illusions is very dynamic.

ADTOE has a great drum mix. It's been the only album on which I've actually enjoyed Mangini's drumming. Bridges In The Sky and BAI have some killer drum parts.
To be honest if Petrucci used less chorus on his main tone then that would probably be my favourite DT production/mix of all time.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #583 on: January 14, 2017, 09:41:28 PM »
As awesome as Rudess is, whenever he changes keyboard solos originally done by Moore or Sherinian, he butchers them.

It always bothers me how he never plays the Take The Time solo the way Kevin wrote and recorded it (my all-time favorite keyboard solo). That solo is flawless; I really wish he would just play it the way it is on the record. He's got plenty of other solos to make his own - but don't fuck with Take The Time!
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: January 15, 2017, 04:40:46 AM »

It's both to me. Rigidly attached to a grid AND 0% dynamics in a drum machine BOTH sound bad.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #585 on: January 15, 2017, 04:43:52 AM »

And playing to a click track can't improve human feeling, fluidity, etc.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #586 on: January 15, 2017, 05:00:23 AM »
What exactly is the criticism about being rigidly attached to a grid? Do you even know what Mike's The Grid is? It is a heuristic tool that allows you to see the most number of possible combinations. Instead of limiting you, it actually makes you realize that combinations you never imagined are possible.

The Grid is a teaching tool. Those who keep on insisting feel are most likely people who have never experienced teaching or are closet elitists who think drumming can not be taught.

And zero% dynamics? We're really into hyperbole.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:50:16 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #587 on: January 15, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
When Kotowboy said "grid", I don't think he meant The Grid. I think he referred to the click track and MM's extreme care to make his hits be exactly on time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: January 15, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »
When Kotowboy said "grid", I don't think he meant The Grid. I think he referred to the click track and MM's extreme care to make his hits be exactly on time.

Yes and tech metal bands. That horrible super gated guitar sound they all have where all you hear is the attack of the note then a sudden silence. :puke:

Offline Evai

« Reply #589 on: January 15, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
Yes and tech metal bands. That horrible super gated guitar sound they all have where all you hear is the attack of the note then a sudden silence. :puke:

I remember first hearing that in Dark Eternal Night, and I suddenly wanted a noise gate pedal
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: January 15, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
It's nowhere near as bad on TDOE.

I'm talking about tech bands that gate their guitar so hard that all you get is the middle of the note. It's cut off the attack and decay altogether.

It's awful & I hate it.

My friend's band entire set is controlled by computer. They all play to a click - it has backing tracks that line up ( like DT do ) and it also changes the guitar tuning between songs so they never have to

change guitars or tune up between songs. HOW . BORING. It leaves precisely 0% room for error or improvisation. Singer can't even sing anything different as he has to harmonise

with what is on the backing track.

At that point it's not a gig anymore - it's an exam.

Fuck. That.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #591 on: January 15, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »
My friend's band entire set is controlled by computer. They all play to a click - it has backing tracks that line up ( like DT do ) and it also changes the guitar tuning between songs so they never have to

change guitars or tune up between songs. HOW . BORING. It leaves precisely 0% room for error or improvisation. Singer can't even sing anything different as he has to harmonise

with what is on the backing track.

That happens when you record music that relies heavily on backing tracks. There's really no other way to get it done. Like 90% of metal bands do this nowadays.
Like it or not, it ain't leaving anytime soon unfortunately, because having everything preprogrammed makes things a lot easier for bands.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #592 on: January 15, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
I apologize for my reaction on "the grid" comment.

I think the decision to play to a click is not really about the layering of backing tracks. I think there was a conscious decision by the band to give their concert-goers a full theatrical experience with top-notch audio-visuals that are synced to the music, which is why they decided to play to a click in their shows.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #593 on: January 17, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
A new Dreamtheaterclub vid of Mike showing his kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu792DZtc_U

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #594 on: January 17, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »