Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 62428 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #525 on: January 08, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMTzBTHiSo

Does not sound like a robot to me.

Actually, I would dare anybody to say with a straight face that his performance of The Shattered Fortress in BTFW is robotic also.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #526 on: January 08, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
That drumming reminded me of a '90s drum machine track, reminded me of Surfing With The Alien. That snare fill at 1:12 in particular was unnaturally even sounding to me. The thing that makes a snare fill interesting as opposed to sounding like a MIDI machine gun is dynamics, which it was lacking.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:01:44 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #527 on: January 08, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Actually, I would dare anybody to say with a straight face that his performance of The Shattered Fortress in BTFW is robotic also.

His performance on TSF completely ruined the mellow part of the song. Like what the hell was he trying to accomplish there? Unnecessary fills, and when he does the crescendo buildup to the TROAE prechorus part his volume doesn't go up at all, because he's already going full power during the mellow section.

Overall I would say Mangini does really well in the metal / heavy parts, but his playing on softer songs live always leaves me craving something else.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #528 on: January 08, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »
Well, there's really just no convincing some of  you.  :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #529 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »

Well, I think this just comes down to a matter of taste. So it might be like trying to convince a person who loves jazz and classical music to listen to death metal and like it.
I don't think we are implying that Mangini is a bad drummer. For example I don't like Neil Peart at all, he is an amazing drummer no doubt, but he just looks so incredibly bloody stiff when he is playing that I can't stand to watch him play.

What sounds robotic and out of place for me might be exactly what you look for in drumming.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #530 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:46 AM »
While it's true that the mellow part in TSF should be played respecting the mood, when I saw what Mangini did on BTFW, I suddenly had this huge smile on my face. That's what he does best, he has fun with the instrument and that shows. You can see that in his Youtube videos too.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:39 AM »
I prefer Mangini as a person but I preferred Portnoy's playing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: January 09, 2017, 04:39:46 AM »
The whole MM vs MP will never go away, will it?  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #533 on: January 09, 2017, 05:04:03 AM »

Never! And that's really unfortunate.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #534 on: January 09, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »

Why would it? The KM/DS/JR discussions haven't gone away, nor have the JM 1.0 vs 1.1 vs 2.0 discussions.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #535 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:55 AM »

Why would it? The KM/DS/JR discussions haven't gone away, nor have the JM 1.0 vs 1.1 vs 2.0 discussions.

And let's not forget the heated discussions about who's better out of JLB and CD.

Let's just say they get out of haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #536 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
What sounds robotic and out of place for me might be exactly what you look for in drumming.
That's a not-very-subtle way of saying others that what you look for in drumming is kinda more in line than what he looks for.  :lol

Either way, I kinda disagree with what you said earlier. Portnoy, although extremely musical in most of his endeavours, also has been criticized for overplaying parts and being loud where he really didn't 'have' to be (whatever that means). It the musician of that calibre is loud in a specific part, is because he/she considered that was the way to go. Of course we're entitled to like it or hate it, but who are we to tell them 'hey Mangini, you should play this part quietly because it fits best!'?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #537 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
That's a not-very-subtle way of saying others that what you look for in drumming is kinda more in line than what he looks for.  :lol

No, it's not. And if you see it that way.  :loser: My intention was never to put anyone down. Heck, some people love programmed drums.

It the musician of that calibre is loud in a specific part, is because he/she considered that was the way to go. Of course we're entitled to like it or hate it, but who are we to tell them 'hey Mangini, you should play this part quietly because it fits best!'?

I may have worded it a bit too strongly (as I tend to do on this forum), but I only expressed my dislike for what he did in TSF and was pondering why he would do that in that specific part. All I was trying to get across is that I don't like Mangini's playing over soft parts / songs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #538 on: January 09, 2017, 09:04:01 AM »
I would say it's an overall valid statement that MM struggles with quiet parts, I think both a result of his technique and the drum sound he gets on albums. Act of Faythe is my prime example for this, where the drums seemingly just can't be quiet, no matter how he tries. Like, it's pretty obvious that there was supposed to be a crescendo around the 3:15 mark, but the drums already essentially had maxed out during the quiet part.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #539 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
I would say it's an overall valid statement that MM struggles with quiet parts, I think both a result of his technique and the drum sound he gets on albums. Act of Faythe is my prime example for this, where the drums seemingly just can't be quiet, no matter how he tries. Like, it's pretty obvious that there was supposed to be a crescendo around the 3:15 mark, but the drums already essentially had maxed out during the quiet part.

I remember reading an interview or something after ADTOE came out and MM said the most challenging song on that record for him to play was This is the Life because it was a softer more ballad type tune.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #540 on: January 09, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
MM's comment was more about the need for more disciplined and simpler drumming, not about dynamics. It's the same comment by Myung, where he also had to be restrained because of the multiple layers of tracks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #541 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
I wan't saying it as a knock to MM. I just remembered him saying that and was surprised, since it's one of the "simpler" songs on that record.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: January 09, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUavFsfbFv8

The drumming on this is what I aim for as far as dynamics.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: January 09, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »

I remember reading an interview or something after ADTOE came out and MM said the most challenging song on that record for him to play was This is the Life because it was a softer more ballad type tune.

I actually really really like MM's drumming on the softer songs on JLB's Elements of Persuassion.  I thought he was a bit over the top for those softer songs, but I felt like it worked and made the songs unique.  That was one of the first times I had heard MM and thought "I like this drummer".

Offline pcs90

« Reply #544 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
What I find interesting about this is I remember several interviews where he's mentioned being classically-trained...but in those settings you absolutely need to be good at dynamics and playing softly.
I also do remember him saying that in DT his dynamics really have to be extreme, which is partially why he uses multiple bass drums, to really exaggerate dynamics in a song.
I am not sure how much of this is his choice and how much is told to him by the rest of the band. I mean, MP also played too loud in places IMO.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #545 on: January 09, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »
Mangini just doesn't handle dynamics well. His thing is being able to do single-handed drum rolls, playing ambidextrous, being stupid good with polyrhythms, etc. Beyond that, there's not much depth to his playing. That's probably why so many people think his drumming sounds no different than a drum machine, or programmed drums.

As far as the comment regarding his playing on The Shattered Fortress, I didn't really care for the overplaying he did during the mellow section. It just seemed really out of place, and too loud. Having said that, some of the other fills he added in the upbeat parts of the song were pretty sick.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #546 on: January 09, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUavFsfbFv8

The drumming on this is what I aim for as far as dynamics.

I don't really like the band much, but man the drum sound and playing is on point. Sounds fucking wonderful.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #547 on: January 09, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
Mangini just doesn't handle dynamics well. His thing is being able to do single-handed drum rolls, playing ambidextrous, being stupid good with polyrhythms, etc. Beyond that, there's not much depth to his playing. That's probably why so many people think his drumming sounds no different than a drum machine, or programmed drums.

And this is where his drumming doesn't work for me. I recognize the skill and work that goes into what he does, but I value dynamics over all of those other things.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #548 on: January 09, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »
I personally wouldn't call the dynamics what I love about drums. For me, there's nothing more delightful than when I hear the actual instrument. Like, the subtle scratch of the stick over the drum skin, the always slightly different sound of the ride bell when hit. When I get the impression I'm sitting next to the drums, that's when it sounds good.

JP's guitar sound is for the most part fantastic, and in the top 5 of my favorite guitar sounds. At the same time I wish he chucked the suspended Floyd Rose 7-string going through a Triple Rectifier Mesa Boogie with Axe-FX chorus and delay occasionally, for a Strat and an Orange amp. I think FII was the only album where he played a Strat.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #549 on: January 09, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »
I generally don't like an overly processed guitar sound but JP really has his nailed for the most part. It works for what he's doing I guess. I'd like to hear him on a more stripped down set up only if the music called for it and DT haven't really written any music that called for that sort of thing since Octavarium, at least.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #550 on: January 09, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »

Like Alan White always living in Bill Bruford's shadow for Yes fans.

I generally don't like an overly processed guitar sound but JP really has his nailed for the most part. It works for what he's doing I guess. I'd like to hear him on a more stripped down set up only if the music called for it and DT haven't really written any music that called for that sort of thing since Octavarium, at least.

You must not have heard of The Astonishing then.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: January 10, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »

Like Alan White always living in Bill Bruford's shadow for Yes fans.

Alan White will always be the best oasis drummer :neverusethis:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #552 on: January 10, 2017, 04:32:54 AM »
Damn it!

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #553 on: January 10, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
I wasn't a huge MM fan until I saw BTFW.  I could actually hear what he was playing.  It is hard to hear what he is doing on studio albums (at least for a non-musician like me).

If you haven't seen BTFW you really owe it to yourself to watch it; I gained a whole new appreciation for MM.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: January 10, 2017, 06:48:15 AM »
I wasn't a huge MM fan until I saw BTFW.  I could actually hear what he was playing.  It is hard to hear what he is doing on studio albums (at least for a non-musician like me).

If you haven't seen BTFW you really owe it to yourself to watch it; I gained a whole new appreciation for MM.

Definitely a good watch.  I thought MM's playing of TSF was a highlight of that blu-ray. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #555 on: January 10, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
BTFW performance is great, except for the guitar solo section of Trial of Tears, where MM's playing was stiff.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #556 on: January 10, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »
I may have worded it a bit too strongly (as I tend to do on this forum), but I only expressed my dislike for what he did in TSF and was pondering why he would do that in that specific part. All I was trying to get across is that I don't like Mangini's playing over soft parts / songs.

Yeah, that's the thing with forums in general, sometimes opinions get mixed with facts and come off in a strong and sometimes misleading way. I understood what the intent of your post was. IMO though, I FUCKING LOVE THAT PART in TSF on BTFW and prefer it over the original.  :o

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: January 10, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »
BTFW performance is great, except for the guitar solo section of Trial of Tears, where MM's playing was stiff.

It reminds me of that thing I heard on my degree that absolute world class orchestra musicians have been so regimented to read music their whole life and to play other people's music..

...that if you ask them to just improvise - they wouldn't know how to.

Obviously I don't think Mangini doesn't know how to improvise but that section feels like he's doing a pre-thought out "solo" than just going for it and playing for the moment.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #558 on: January 10, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
I like BTFW overall, but Trial of Tears doesn't work for me on that. The fusion solo section doesn't groove at all.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #559 on: January 10, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
I like BTFW overall, but Trial of Tears doesn't work for me on that. The fusion solo section doesn't groove at all.

My problem with the solo section isn't the drumming at all, but that Jordan brutally murdered one of Derek's best keyboard solos ever (it gets even worse when you realize Derek hates keytars with all his soul)  :'(

And, for the record, I've always prefered Jordan over Derek and Kevin, but he changes their keyboard solos way too much and just plays fast scale runs and all thar  :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."