Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 62523 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2016, 03:59:35 PM »
At some point he played in Boston in the 2000s, and it was definitely an event. Of course Boston is certainly more European-infused than most cities, so there's that.

What about Spice Girls? Do people here know who they are/were?

My poor wife had to take my niece to Spice World the movie.  She died a little that day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jester

« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »
What about Spice Girls? Do people here know who they are/were?

They take turns being the judge on America's Got Talent right?  Actually, if you don't know them it might not be that you are too old, but rather too young considering they were huge 20 years ago.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
I saw that movie, and even though I had a thing for Sporty Spice, it was still soooo bad.

But yeah, regarding Robbie, I take it everybody here knows the size of the Wembley Stadium from the Queen Tribute concert. Robbie fills that with ease.

EDIT: A friend just pointed out, if you've seen Finding Nemo, you've heard Robbie Williams. He sings the "Somewhere under the sea" cover.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Never heard of Robbie Williams. Love to go to the public library.

Remember the Spice Girls were huge for a minute or two, even the debates we had over which one was the hottest.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:03 PM »
Oh, and who is Robbie Williams?

I have never heard of Robbie Williams

and I have never heard of Robbie Williams. 

To the best of my recollection, I've never heard either of these two songs (until now).

Count me in as not knowing Robbie Williams.   

Never heard of Robbie Williams. 

Oh wait...of course there's always one  :loser: in every crowd..
Brittish boy band guy that carved his own solo career.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »
Never heard those songs Rumbo posted either, but will count myself as a Sporty Spice lover. She was stuck with the goofy look, but was very attractive.

Upon further research, they all have actually aged very nicely, except for Posh and her 3 Saltines a Day diet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »
Hey Tim.  You're just not cultured enough to understand.  :lol

I see Robbie a lot on The Graham Norton Show on BBC America.   The best talk show out there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
Tim, my man, you ro realize memes of Emeril is way outdated right?  :lol

From one old fogey to another...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2016, 05:31:44 PM »
 :lol

Bazinga!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »
Tim, my man, you ro realize memes of Emeril is way outdated right?  :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin

I do now! :rollin

That's what I get for trying to..

:facepalm:

:lol

Bazinga!

Quiet you! :lol

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:47:05 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2016, 06:56:34 PM »
I'm calling it now. Mike leaves after this tour cycle... or at the latest after the next. Portnoy returns. Everyone happy... much party. DT return to former glory. Trail off into the sunset. The world ends. Not necessarily in that order. :loser:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2016, 06:58:39 PM »
I'm calling it now. Mike leaves after this tour cycle... or at the latest after the next. Portnoy returns. Everyone happy... much party. DT return to former glory. Trail off into the sunset. The world ends. Not necessarily in that order. :loser:

Well you're definitely correct about the order, I think for the first bit of that to happen, the last thing has to happen first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:27 PM »
True that
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:57:38 PM by deggs37 »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »
Well yes, that's what I implied.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:05 PM »
I think MP's dead body would still be in 5 band if it was the end of times.

I'd still buy all those projects.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »

Well, given the enthusiasm in MIke's last tweet, I would bet NO.

"I'm home! On to actually getting on the kit to learn the 2017 tour songs. Converting what's on paper to my kit is pretty weird, but FUN!"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2016, 10:00:51 PM »
erwinrafael should start a blog (if he hasn't already) that has entries going over specific DT drum parts.  I say blog so people can comment, but it is separate from the "lesson" instead of having to find the lesson between all the commentary.  And if somebody is commenting sounds like they can handle a special lesson on their own, ER could give rights for a guest blog entry.

Nah, I wouldn't have time for that.  :lol  But I am more than willing to share a lot of my fanboyism over Mangini. For example, I have created a Mike Mangini Pre-DT Sampler playlist on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk3003sHn29s5A0HSbDl-8KeN-YFWKKeX

I am actually playing this now while writing my thesis, back-to-back with my 1-CD Mike Mangini DT sampler.

Bridges in the Sky
A Life Left Behind
Enigma Machine
On the Backs of Angels
Surrender to Reason
The Path that Divides
The Walking Shadow
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

Three Days and Lost not Forgotten sadly did not make the cut due to time constraints.  :lol

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »
Wow.....wayyyy too late to this thread, I only just watched the interview, and naturally, the topic on the thread is way off lol

Anyway - I'm pretty shocked by all the things he said, doesn't seem at all like him. I totally understand his frustration over not getting any writing credits, and it definitely seems like he doesn't like being on the road away from home for as long as they are (DT has some of the most intense touring itinerary!!) and he also said he misses teaching as well. I know we shouldn't look too far into what he said, but I can't help but feel it's all adding up to something. Of course he could've been having a really bad day, but that doesn't mean that he didn't mean what he said. Hopefully, if things are starting to build up inside, that he'll have the sense to discuss it with the rest of the band instead of doing anything rash.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »
Well, a social media post on November 24 suggests that there's some trouble going on in Mangini's mind:

"Happy Thanksgiving USA ! I'm focussing on gratitude and trying to block out all other thoughts (even though it is tough to) with song parts and one's own thoughts on all kinds of things looping in the mind."

Then a rather tired post on November 27:

"I don't remember ever flying on a Sunday after Thanksgiving 😡I cant stand missing an NFL day 😡😡 Weather is good though 😁."

Subsequent posts, however, seemed to portray a better state of mind, with him focused on learning songs for the Images and Words tour:

November 28: "Show tomorrow night. :) I'm continuing to study (but not play) songs in the "time cracks" of life. I like to classify what I experience as a "medium term" memory where I can layer audio and images in my mind. i.e. I can hear my own voice saying, "4,4,3" while I hear a song in the key and time of the original. This then transfers to the stage while I'm playing, hearing those memories and hearing the sounds of my environment. I do the same with images. I might see my handwriting, or music notation and other things sort of visually layered. I like to imagine giant numbers too, like a 1,2 & 3, to count verses for example. A lot of it only lasts limited months though. Still, I believe this is a learned skill just by believing you can and then working at it. If you see me giggling on stage, it sometimes means I've gone back in time to something funny about my experience with that song. Too bad an electrode isn't hooked up to my brain and projected on a show screen. ? Well, maybe we're all better off that nobody invented that yet."

November 30: "Here's more info on song learning: I use a written "shape" form that looks like a big grid with blocks, meaning it has headings (Intro, Riff 1, Verse, Pre Chorus, Chorus,) on the left the rows are numbered (1,2,3...) maybe 3A, 3B too, and the number of bars fill in the grid.
That works insanely well for more normal song forms. Also, this form fits on a small square of paper. That worked with Another Day when I had to learn it a day or two on the road with no drum practice, but perform it one time. I taped that to my mini snare.
With most DT songs, I have to expand the amount of rows and change headings because things don't repeat. It takes two pages sometimes, so I have to mentally picture/think of one song as three songs. One example I remember is Dark Eternal Night. I'll write 6 5 6 5(>3) 6 5 6 15(555) when the crazy part starts on a separate piece of paper. I'll use numbers like that so that I know that the last 5 on part 1 accents every 3 16ths and the 15 means there are three groups of 5/16. Later, I wrote 20 to mean four groups of 5/16. Seeing a 15, then a 20 is easier for mind to photographically remember as meaning to play 3 5's on one phrase and 4 5's on the last phrase."

December 4: "More on song learning with a different spin: Just a thought here on how music transcends barriers and it is a truly amazing and great thing. As today is an off day, I am reading a lot as a way to self-educate on whatever subject I'm choosing today. I'm finding the understanding of the 'word,' and narrative/argumentation/ rhetoric etc. is almost the most important thing; a priori of sorts. Otherwise, understanding different views is more difficult due to emotions ruining how we reason. My understanding as a teacher of what it took to open up a musician to styles other than his/her own led to my really valuing how to make connections between seemingly unrelated things. i.e. picturing block forms of song outlines is the same thing as picturing outlines on any subject for school tests, or for memorizing sports game plans. Having a good "pitch" was part of it too. That's where making a good case with verifiable truths or at least some good proofs comes in handy. Like all (or most) of you, and most people most likely, we have so little time to ourselves on the road and so much to do in just keeping up our chops as a prerequisite for our jobs. There's no time for 'lazy.' A good benefit is how non-musical learning can morph back to the instrument. i.e. Seeing good cases made for things reminds me to not put too many ideas into one drum solo, or one drum fill etc."

On December 6, he retweeted the Dream Theater post: Thank you to our crew for all of their hard work in making The Astonishing Live show happen night after night."

Then earlier today: "I'm home! On to actually getting on the kit to learn the 2017 tour songs. Converting what's on paper to my kit is pretty weird, but FUN!"

My guess what's really happening now with Mangini? He's tired.

Offline emtee

« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2016, 05:55:48 AM »
Seems pretty obvious that something is really bothering him. No clue if it's DT related though my guess is yes but it could be a personal
issue also.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2016, 06:06:27 AM »
"With most DT songs, I have to expand the amount of rows and change headings because things don't repeat. It takes two pages sometimes, so I have to mentally picture/think of one song as three songs. One example I remember is Dark Eternal Night. I'll write 6 5 6 5(>3) 6 5 6 15(555) when the crazy part starts on a separate piece of paper. I'll use numbers like that so that I know that the last 5 on part 1 accents every 3 16ths and the 15 means there are three groups of 5/16. Later, I wrote 20 to mean four groups of 5/16. Seeing a 15, then a 20 is easier for mind to photographically remember as meaning to play 3 5's on one phrase and 4 5's on the last phrase."

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
No wonder he's tired - I was exhausted after reading a single quote  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2016, 06:17:25 AM »
I actually know what bits he's talking about just from those number groupings. The instrumental section of that song is so much fun to analyze.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:02 AM »
Seems pretty obvious that something is really bothering him. No clue if it's DT related though my guess is yes but it could be a personal
issue also.

Well he did come from what was pretty much a "day job" before joining DT. So I can imagine it's a pretty big life change for him and his family going from seeing MM the husband and father everyday when he comes home from work to not seeing him for weeks at a time...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:15 AM »
issue also.

Well he did come from what was pretty much a "day job" before joining DT. So I can imagine it's a pretty big life change for him and his family going from seeing MM the husband and father everyday when he comes home from work to not seeing him for weeks at a time...

Which is why, I think, Mangini may not be around (again, total speculation on my part) after the 2017 tour is over. Once they do that "break," I wonder if he'll not want to do the long touring all over again. That said, I also wonder about that regarding DT. 30 years of massive tours...will they scale it back in years to come. If so, perhaps my speculation about Mangini may be wrong, regardless...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
I've never heard of Chris Pine!

I still wish I'd never heard of him.

As someone else TAC's age, I definitely had heard of Spice Girls but not Robbie Williams.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 08, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »
Prior to reading this interview, my sense was that Mangini would probably be with Dream Theater until they decide to hang it up. Now, it seems more probable than not that he leaves before they call it a day, perhaps opening the door for a Portnoy reunion.

This is all pretty reckless speculation of course. I personally hope that Mangini and the band smooth everything out and ride off into the sunset together. The dude's an awesome drummer, a super nice guy, and is an absolute trooper for putting up with a lot of undeserved flak.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #237 on: December 08, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »
I agree. I could feel the tension within him when he was doing that interview. But he is a phenomenal drummer and hope he sticks with Dream Theater until the end and hopefully gets to help with the song writing process, fully like Mike Portnoy once had.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #238 on: December 08, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »
Prior to reading this interview, my sense was that Mangini would probably be with Dream Theater until they decide to hang it up. Now, it seems more probable than not that he leaves before they call it a day, perhaps opening the door for a Portnoy reunion.

This is all pretty reckless speculation of course. I personally hope that Mangini and the band smooth everything out and ride off into the sunset together. The dude's an awesome drummer, a super nice guy, and is an absolute trooper for putting up with a lot of undeserved flak.

Mangini is just the best fit for DT, let's just hope they give him more writing chances and creative freedom, he really deserves it after 6 years in the band as a full member. I hope he never leaves  :-\

Having said that, if he ever wanted to leave to focus more on his family, teaching or any other project, I'm not sure if a reunion with Portnoy would actually work. Just look at how the band operates right now: JP is the main writer and only producer, as well as the leader of the band. Jordan has found much more creative freedom than what he had with MP (there's interviews with him about that from the time MP left). JP, for the most part, comes up with the setlists and the bigger/most important decisions.
If MP ever rejoined, either he would want to get some of that control back, only to clash with JP and strongly disagree on things; or he would just fill a different, minor role from the one he had before he left, which he wouldn't be too happy about.

Also, the Portnoy - LaBrie relationship was pretty much destroyed after James said they wouldn't accept MP back, and he answered saying he was disrespectful... you get the point. If they ever agree on having MP back and there's no creative conflicts between JP and MP, James would probably feel pressured to leave, and that would be another issue to worry about.

I think the only one who would be ok with Portnoy returning, at least right now, would be Jordan, since they continued to be good friends and speak often. The rest? I really doubt it, specially, as I said, JLB and JM.

I'm glad this is all speculation, though. Really hope Mangini stays and they make him a bigger part of the writing process. Also, hope they slow a bit with their extensive touring, so they can have more time to rest and be with their families ż.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2016, 10:58:44 PM »
Well if that all went down and he did rejoin, they'd have to lay down the law with him, and say 'this is how we do things now, like it or not.' MP would have to accept that it's more of a democracy now and that he'd have to take a back seat on a lot of things. Nothing would go back to how it was.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
I also read and then heard the interview and I don't know what to think. I don't want to jump to conclusion, but it was... weird. Yep, he might be simply tired, but there's also something bitter there I can't quite put my finger on and it makes me wonder. We'll see how it'll go from now on. But I feel the possibility of MM leaving is bigger now.

There's other thing to think about - say that the MP reunion really did happen. They would be stuck with that decision forever because they'd be admitting to the fans, "okay, we can't do it without him". Which would definitely give MP the leverage and would not go well with JP, IMHO. Also, I too don't see James with MP in the band at the same time, not yet.

I agree that without MP the band definitely lost something and I never wanted MP to leave, but once it happened, I think it should stay that way. I also think they could and should take a bit more care of MM. Drummers like these don't grow on trees, y'know?
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2016, 01:19:16 AM »
There's other thing to think about - say that the MP reunion really did happen. They would be stuck with that decision forever because they'd be admitting to the fans, "okay, we can't do it without him". Which would definitely give MP the leverage and would not go well with JP, IMHO. Also, I too don't see James with MP in the band at the same time, not yet.

In this very hypotethical scenario that is being discussed Mangini would leave of his own free will. It's not that DT is playing small, half empty clubs and they fire Mangini and then beg MP on their knees to come back, so it would hardly seem desperate.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2016, 02:29:37 AM »
Well if that all went down and he did rejoin, they'd have to lay down the law with him, and say 'this is how we do things now, like it or not.' MP would have to accept that it's more of a democracy now and that he'd have to take a back seat on a lot of things. Nothing would go back to how it was.
Actually I'd say it sounds like less of a democracy. But I agree with the general principle that it's different now, and they would probably expect him to accept that JP is the leader now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2016, 05:18:00 AM »
Well, since we're all building castles in air and talking about what if situations... what if Mike is bummed to have lost the DT gig, and would just be happy to be back? not to the point of being a session-paid drummer with no input whatsover, but to just be back and be content with JP leading the show, without having to take over again the setlists and DVDs and 98% of every detail about the band.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
Eh, I get what you guys are saying, if MP was to rejoin the group I think the guys would lay out for him how it's different now in terms of responsibilities and roles. But to be honest, I'd guess that after a certain amount of time, everyone would kinda just fall right back into the roles they had been playing for the last 10 years or so of MP's tenure with the band. It's human nature.