Author Topic: Bands with Guns Onstage  (Read 401 times)

Offline 7th

Bands with Guns Onstage
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
Saw this article and figured it would be a good topic for the P/R realm:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/04/metal-band-loses-chicago-gig-over-excessive-use-guns-and-violent-imagery.html

My take is that while guns are part of American culture, we don't need to make them part of everyday life.  As for concert security, that is best left up to the venue.  But, I do support the 2nd amendment and if a band wants to do this, they should be allowed to while at the same time a venue has the choice of who they host.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Bands with Guns Onstage
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
Boy's racking up free press where they'd otherwise get none. That's all this is as it's really a non-issue for half a dozen different reasons. Venue can restrict guns. Venue can choose who does or doesn't perform. City can restrict open carry. Most importantly, knuckleheads can use prop guns (and carry concealed if they're actually worried about a shooting). They're doing this for the pub.

And by the way, this probably wouldn't even fly here in gun-crazy Texas. Alcohol sales would likely get them at the state level and major cities tend to consider concert hall prohibited.

We've all been to club shows before. Would anybody here actually feel safer at one of their shows than somebody else's? A Bataclan scenario doesn't frighten me in the slightest. Numbskulls treating live weapons as props makes me more than a little nervous.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
Perfectly said El Barto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 7th

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Boy's racking up free press where they'd otherwise get none. That's all this is as it's really a non-issue for half a dozen different reasons. Venue can restrict guns. Venue can choose who does or doesn't perform. City can restrict open carry. Most importantly, knuckleheads can use prop guns (and carry concealed if they're actually worried about a shooting). They're doing this for the pub.

And by the way, this probably wouldn't even fly here in gun-crazy Texas. Alcohol sales would likely get them at the state level and major cities tend to consider concert hall prohibited.

We've all been to club shows before. Would anybody here actually feel safer at one of their shows than somebody else's? A Bataclan scenario doesn't frighten me in the slightest. Numbskulls treating live weapons as props makes me more than a little nervous.

Agreed.  What I struggle with is the side of me that says art is art, that must be respected, and if this band's fans get an emotional thrill from guns and they call it art then I suppose that must be respected as well.  The band's music seems to be violence and murder infused.  Were does art end and depravity begin?  I think GTA V is one of humanity's finest artistic accomplishments, but the object of the game is to master everything that is wrong with society.  Since we sell our kids this worldview, isn't to be expected to be reflected in their art?  Joe Walsh has a newish album and song called Analog Man that explores this topic.   

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
Art has always invoked dark sides of culture and behavior. Most people are well enough grounded to not copy it. If some kid is dumb enough to run amok because that's what Trevor does, then GTA isn't his problem.

As for these wiseguys, safety generally trumps artistry and intelligent people have managed to work around that. Judging from the picture in that article, I'm guessing that PE's S1W did what they're trying to far, far better and were content to use prop guns.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:27:03 PM »
Yup.  I never had the urge to drop an anvil on someone's head.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »
Yup.  I never had the urge to drop an anvil on someone's head.

On what tour did Rush use an anvil as a prop? ;D

Maybe a giant bunny...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
Alex is a killer

Guitarist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »
I never had the urge to drop an anvil on someone's head.
Can't make that claim.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Holy Shit! Was that you?
E.F. Benson

Offline 7th

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
Okay, complete derail here, but since someone brought up Rush, the anvil and the Rabbit...

The other day I was going back in my head to all the Rush tours I have seen.  The late 80s and early 90s are somewhat of a blur to me but I remember one tour they had the inflatable rabbit come out of a hat, that was presto right?  Then the subsequent tour, Roll the Bones, they had the rabbit come out with a gun and shoot the other rabbit (I think) on the other side of the stage.  Am I imaging that or did anyone else witness these tours who can confirm?

Oh and I suppose it isn't a derail considering I am asking about a band who had a gun onstage. :-)