Author Topic: Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. #1 sax is love, sax is life  (Read 8089 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. have 7 albums my dudes
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »
You know what, fuck it, I'm releasing all this shit between today and tomorrow, to finally close this year of music. Enjoy!

Hesitation Marks
Nine Inch Nails

I am a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a...

Probably one of the most underrated albums in recent memory: many fans didn't like it because it wasn't heavy or fucking angry or distorted as the band's other albums. Fuck, most keep crying "it's not mah downward spiral". Well FUCK YOU GODDAMN EDGELORD. Like, seriously, give Trent a rest. The guy's a music genius, and made an excellent electronic/alt rock/R&B? album here. Don't like the synthpop influence? Well, most of NIN's music actually follows a typical pop structure yet you didn't seem to mind. Too hipster? Well, maybe Reznor just wanted to experiment and push himself instead of making your industrial stuff again. He's matured, but seems most of you haven't. "the songwriting is weak/not my cuppa tea/i don't like the electronics" oh fine then, no problem with that. But don't start crying this album is not a savage attack of anger and distorted guitars therefore it's boring - that's just dumb.

And I'm happy for him. This album feels really fresh - The Slip was decent, but kinda showed Trent was getting tired of that style. Hesitation Marks came 5 years after it, and feels pretty inspired by his work on soundtracks and the How to Destroy Angels project. The best of it all is that it feels very much like a NIN album, because Nine Inch Nails isn't really about heavy guitars or screams - rather Trent Reznor's self-expression, which normally involves lots of repressed anger and crippling depression. And those elements are definitely here, just read the lyrics (about his popularity downfall, and how he was once heralded as one of the biggest music geniuses yet feels irrelevant in modern times), and listen to the music closely. Most of all the Came Back Haunted, which's music vid was directed by David Lynch, and it's such an overwhelming, oppressive, schizophrenic experience - NIN at its core. Such a good album.

Recommended track: Came Back Haunted

Street Halo/Kindred
Burial

Maybe you can find the light...

Ok, this is fucking cheating - this is actually a Japan-only compilation of two EPs. But Burial's stuff outside his two albums is so good I had to include it somehow (remember this list is for albums only). So, the music... is different from Untrue. In a sense, it feels even more refined. On the other, is kinda more abstract, and longer - Kindred has two 10+ mins long songs! Selected samples float gracefully across vinyl crackle and reverberating synthesized melodies, punctuated by an ever-pervasive, off-kilter beat that remains only consistent in spirit - that's Burial in a nutshell, and it's still true here.

Also, not present here, but worth mentioning is his remix of Massive Attack's Paradise Circus. Or deconstruction, actually - its resemblance tot he original song is minimal, and makes for a surreal, amazing experience. It's truly a thing of beauty.

Recommended track: Loner

With Teeth
Nine Inch Nails

You all get back to where you belong...

Well, the album Trent recorded after getting back from rehab. This is probably not the most creative of his albums, yet likely the most straightforward, next to Pretty Hate Machine. Lots of great riffs, kinda organic sound despite the distortion and the electronics. Much heaviness. Wow catchy. So 2005. Me likey.

Recommended track: The Hand that Feeds

A Sort of Homecoming
Anathema

What you needed was to be rid of me...

Yeah I'll admit I never listened to this one until earlier this year. This is basically an acoustic gig played in a gorgeous chapel, with songs mostly from the last 3 albums and a few oldies like Electricity and Fragile Dreams. Why ain't it higher? Well, not all these renditions are very good, being honest. Some really lack the emotional intensity of the original counterparts. And Vinny's voice sounds kinda weird, like his low register wasn't totally captured by the mic, making his voice sound whinny.

Still, a beautiful, intimate album.

Recommended track: Anathema

The Private Press
DJ Shadow

Tomorrow never comes until it's too late...

Look, I know this ain't no Endtroducing...., and I feel kinda sorry for this guy having to live under the shadow (pun intended) of his titanic debut. It's also certain his career has gone downhill since then in terms of quality, but The Private Press shows Josh Davis is more than a god of turntablism and sampling, and a one-hit star. Although the melancholy of the previous album isn't totally gone, there's a more light-hearted, warm vibe here in some tracks. And while Endtroducing.... is the more consistent album, there's no denying its sequel is an excellent effort by an artist doomed to be judged by something he made 20 years ago.

Recommended track: Blood on the Motorway

Divenire
Ludovico Einaudi

Need me more of this stuff...

I think Ludovico is unfairly hated by classical music academicals, his work dismissed as "shopping mall music", and even compared to the atrocious, mom-core Richard Clayderman. Well fuck them.

Sure, Divenire isn't really a complex album in any way, and doesn't pretend so. I just love it because of the wonderful modern classical melodies here, the excellent atmosphere, and dat piano. This may not reinvent music, nor tries to - I just connect much with this one. Sadly, the second half isn't really as good as the first one, hence the position on the list. Still, an album worth listening.

Recommended track: Divenire

Out of Season
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man

I can see no blossom, no blossom on the trees...

This caught me by surprise. I love Portishead and Beth Gibbon's voice, so just knowing this existed was what I needed to check it out.

Out of Season is mostly a folk album, which isn't surprising considering Beth's past on the genre, but it ain't our typical folk - Rustin Man is Talk Talk's bassist. And both created something very unique here: sometimes slow piano ballads, sometimes epic buildups, or subtle electronics almost reminiscing Dummy, etc. Beth also sings in a different style on each song!

This is mostly a chill record, but one that's pretty atmospheric and memorable imo, certainly more experimental than your typical folk, but in a subtle way - kinda like Talk Talk, but far more structured.

Recommended track: Funny time of Year

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. have 7 albums my dudes
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
Meanwhile on Sacul's journey to listen to every piece of NIN music ever made...  :P

You sold me on Out of Season though, will probably give it a listen soon.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2016, 01:11:26 AM »
Would have included Broken here but this list is only for albums so :P

Yay, it's nothing ground-breaking, but just a wonderful record.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2016, 02:20:49 AM »
Yeah that's Einaudi album is beautiful.  :angel: He definitily gets more hate from the classical world than he deserves. I do think some songs are almost more like instrumental pop than classical but so what.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2016, 03:09:18 AM »
Out of Season is great. :tup I love Beth's voice.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. from #19 to #6!!!! jeez I need a life
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
Night
Gazpacho

Home to no one, you're nowhere...

Gazpacho are one of the most original and interesting bands out there - you might think "yeah this is proggy" when listening to them, yet their catalogue is far from the innovations of the 70s or the rehash wank of Neal Morse modern prog. They're just... different, but it's obvious why they are now signed to Kscope.

For example, Night is quite closer to post-rock, with only 5 songs, two of them 10+mins long, and one almost there, with lots of buildups that lead to epic climaxes. Yet not in a post-rock "get louder and faster" way - just adding more instrumentation and ideas, and somehow making them sound more and more intense. And sometimes just changing directions. Another interesting aspect of Gazpacho is their singer - a guy who can sometimes sound like an old lady. His performance is simple, sometimes resembling that one of Tim Bowness, but with a unique tone that just fits with the band's music.

So yeah, Night it's a pretty epic atmospheric album about dreams, with very melodic focus. I dig it.

Recommended track: Chequered Light Buildings

A Moon Shaped Pool
Radiohead

Dreamers, they never learn...

This is a bit of a weird one, but unlike some of their past albums, A Moon Shaped Pool is soft and warm. The electronic are present, yes, but in a... different way than, say, Kid A. They're mostly buried under lots of lush live instrumentation, somehow giving the false impression the album sounds organic. But there are no ambient tracks nor bleeps and blops coming out of nowhere. Very melodic and atmospheric, this is a very different yet familiar Radiohead - some songs here were written many years ago, like True Love Waits. One of the best albums of 2016.

Recommended track: Burn the Witch

Big Calm
Morcheeba

And morcheeba, how much more can you take?..

It saddens me this record is sometimes dismissed as "coffee shop background music", because of its chill and upbeat nature. It ignores the excellent songwriting, the subtle use of electronics in favour of a more organic sound, the excellent hooks, how eclectic the instrumentation is (all kinds of world music here), and overall how pleasant is to listen to. No, it's not a cerebral, cryptic masterpiece, nor it intends to - just a very accessible, lovely record. Despite a few moments where the quality goes down, Big Calm it's a very consistent album, definitely better than their debut.

Recommended track: Big Calm

Blackstar
David Bowie

Just like that bluebird... Oh I'll be free...

I'll say it now: I think this is one of the year's most overrated albums. Yet I like it a lot. But not all of it - I Can't Give Everything Away is a track I can live without. But when the album shines, like on the title track, Lazarus, and Sue, it's really one of my favorites of the year. The other tracks I find good but not too remarkable.

For those unfamiliar, Blackstar is an album about Bowie's imminent death, him facing it by making some of his most daring, experimental work. Begins with the title tracks, a beast of 10 mins of avant-garde jazz, electronics, dark ambient, and Bowie's fragile, haunting voice, that sounds unlike anything out there. The rest of the album is more accessible, yet still retains this unique flavour and the weird melodies and sounds.

Making such an album almost on his 70s, with only a few months left, is nothing short of admirable.

Recommended track: Lazarus

A Year With No Summer
Obsidian Kingdom

And when we go crashing down we come back every time...

This one took some time - at first I was very disappointed. From the awesomeness of Mantiis, such a mix of genres like prog metal, sludge, black, post, even post-rock, to a... very atmospheric, sludgy, post-metal record with a few electronics here and there. First listens I was bored, but it eventually clicked.

The key about this record is atmosphere - walls of guitars or its feedback as drone, distant vocals that rarely get harsh, no blast beats, very memorable riffs imo, and lots of groove. A friend once told me this was just generic post-metal - well then it's the best damn post-metal I've listened to so far (I'm into into ISIS nor CoL).

After their debut and a remix album (!) of it, these guys will probably always surprise me.

Recommended track: Away/Absent

Black Earth
Bohren & der Club of Gore

Like a grave...

Bohren surprised the music world with their third album, Sunset Mission - slow, moody, dark (yet warm), very atmospheric jazz music, with strong noir vibes. It sounded similar yet unlike anything that came before it. On their follow-up, they took their time (around 2 years) to carefully craft and produce an album that would take their sound into new directions: darker, and slower. And heavier.

Black Earth abandons the noir flavours for a brooding, solemn atmosphere, one that tries to create images of death and quiet grief. Some have even called it post-apocalyptic, or even depressing, but I digress - this is a beautiful album. Yes, the bass is penetrating and along with the drums they sound like the slow heartbeats of a huge beast; yes, the sax is certainly less prominent than on the previous album, and rarely goes wild, just playing very soft; those Rhodes keys may just play some sparse minor chords and scales, yes; there are even some "ghostly" drones on most of the songs, or just pure silence between sections. But it's done with such taste and detail, that the crystal clear production just reveals an album of enormous beauty and peace.

Bohren are definitely not party music, but rather fantastic creators of atmospheres. And Black Earth might be one of the most unique records out there.

Recommended track: Destroying Angels

Felt
Nils Frahm

A world of its own...

There's a bit of backstory to this album: Nils tried using a felt on his piano not to awake his neighbours at night (when he practiced). He noticed the sound of the instrument was intriguing, so he decided to put some microphones deep into the piano, almost touching the strings. And holy fuck, what where all those sounds: the hammers pouncing the strings, Nils' breathing, cracks on the wood, distant steps of neighbours on the hallways, etc. It was a whole new soundscape, one of immense intimacy and fragility. And a masterpiece was born.

Felt sounds so similar yet unlike anything I've ever listened to. Nils also added some additional effects and instrumentation asides from the piano, but the end result just fits in a way that sounds completely unique to his music. I don't have much to say other than this album is more of an experience - yes, there's songwriting here, although most is improvised. But it all just flows... let yourself immerse into Nils' late-night world.

Recommended track: More

The Battle of Los Angeles
Rage Against the Machine

NOW TESTIFY! *heavy riff*

I know this is edgy af, but holy shit, those riffs almost make me want to take down capitalism. With headbanging.

But seriously, this album feels like an refined version of their debut, at least in terms of production - here everything is fucking huge and bombastic, yet crystal clear. I also like how they did a little experimentation trying to include some synths/electronics, and playing with production; keeps things fresh. I'll admit I don't really care for the album's political message - sometimes I even strongly disagree. But the music, man, it's just so fucking energizing and catchy I can't even - those riffs almost make me want to take capitalism down. Maybe not as good as their first album, but still a stellar record.

Recommended track: Born of a Broken Man

Kashiwa Daisuke

Simple and beautiful...

Well this will be quick since there's not much to say here. 88 is basically Daisuke challenging himself, writing an album completely on the piano. No electronics, strings, etc. - just him and the 88 keys (hence the album name). For the most part, it's some pretty, heartfelt music. Nothing groundbreaking, and for most people this could be just good background music for stuying/working/whatever. And that's fine, because I have a bit of a special connection to this album. Dunno, it may be that the piano is my fav instrument, or that I'm a sucker for these modern classical melodies. This is probably his most intimate album, and I just love it.

Recommended track: Swan Song

Demon Days
Gorillaz

Well these demon days are so cold inside...

I'll admit I have no nostalgia value for this virtual band - they're no part of my childhood nor teenage days. So when I came with this album, I was amazed by the enormous quality jump from their debut: better production, more styles abound, catchier songs, higher creativity, impressive guests like Neneh Cherry and Martina Topley-Bird, etc. Every Planet We Reach is Dead, Kids with Guns, the classic Feel Goon Inc, El Mañana, these are all fantastic tracks, and although the last few songs on the album feel weaker in comparison to the rest, overall it's a very consistent, solid album.

Recommended track: Every Planet We Reach is Dead

~
iamthemorning

You got to think of what to say before you fall asleep

I don't really know why I never really delved into their debut - I really liked Belighted, and was slightly disappointed by Lighthouse, so went to this because why not. And oh boy. This album was self-produced and financed, which sometimes is noticeable on the production, but the music more than makes up for it.

~ is a beautiful combination of classical music sensibilities and some progressive rock melodies and sounds, given the duo's love for both genres - Marjana has even covered Opeth songs on her YT channel. What makes this album shine is how seamless the combination of styles is, and I'm surprised at the musical variety: some soft piano-driven ballads, a capella interlude tracks, some fucking explosive songs like Monsters which have drums and guitars at the climax, etc. Her voice is, as cliched as it sounds, angelical. And Gleb's piano talent is amazing - no doubt why he was studying at the conservatory.

iamthemorning's debut it's a fresh album full of new ideas, and I like to think it's certainly more progressive than a lot of modern prog artists out there right now. This is what we need, folks.

Recommended track: Monsters

Transistor Original Soundtrack
Darren Korb

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb...

Oh boy, this game is so special - I liked Bastion quite a bit but... felt it was a little one-dimensional, and the combat too brutal to my abysmal coordination, so hesitated a bit on Transistor, but a good sale was up and I couldn't resist.

Damn, what an excellent game! It's probably the most coherent one in terms of artistry - the gorgeous cyberpunk landscapes fit perfect Korb's digital compositions.

Described as "old-world electronic post-rock", it's a damn fine description - a very digital, electronic album but with more... refined, or minimal beats and percussion than Bastion, not as bombastic. Styles range from downtempo to breakbeat to drum n' bass to trip-hop. Reverb guitars, sampled drums, distorted yet soft synths, and a generous share of tracks sung by the wonderful Ashley Barrett (5 in total, and probably the best tunes). But the artistry doesn't stop there - the songs that are played during the boss battles have lyrics pertaining the boss and its relationship to the main character Red, who was a famous singer and musician in the game's story.

Although it's a beautiful soundtrack on its own, it can only be completely appreciated in its original context - I have rarely seen both things fit so seamlessly. Really, play this game.

Recommended track: In Circles

Program Music II
Kashiwa Daisuke

Such beauty...

I was hyped for new Ulver, but when Daisuke announced one of my top 10 albums would receive a sequel, I fucking manginied. Like, what the ACTUAL FUCK?!?! So yeah, it was a huge thing among his fans. But the reception has been rather lukewarm, so lemme explain the appeal of this album: if you loved Program Music I because of its creativity and unique blend of modern classical music and high-tech electronics, and overall innovation, this will probably disappoint you. But if you're like me and loved that record because of the beauty and uniqueness of his compositions (Stella is probably the most gorgeous track ever written, period), and are also a sucker for modern classical, well, give it a listen.

But that's not to say this record is Daisuke going on autopilot - he seeks new territories, and succeeds, most of the time. Program Music II is completely acoustic (except a bit on Subaru), featuring live chamber instrumentation like double bass, jazz drumming (!), real strings, and even guest vocals by Piana. meteor is an excellent example of what this album is about: trying modern classical music with jazz influences and even taking some structures from post-rock - City in the Lake being the synthesis of all those ideas, and probably my fav song of 2016.

Program Music II pales against the first part, yes, but that's a bit of unfair lenses to judge this album by - this album... no, everything Daisuke writes, will forever be destined to live under the shadow of his titanic sophomore effort. But taken on itself, this is a lovely, charming record.

Recommended track: City in the Lake

Silent Hill 2 Original Soundtrack
Akira Yamaoka

A videogame as art...

Although I thoroughly enjoyed SH2 (aside from the lame dialogues and voice acting), it probably relies on too much symbolism for my taste, but I've gotta say I really, really like its soundtrack. I think not only Yamaoka had a bigger budget but also the PS2 allowed for better-quality sound output, thus this OST really sounds better than that of the previous game.

I'm amazed at the amount of sounds and styles Yamaoka could come up with: beautiful, ethereal trip-hop (Heaven's Night, Alone in Town), abrassive, crushing industrial (The Darkness that Lurks in...), some fucking metal (Angel's Thanatos), and peaceful ambient patches (The Day of Night) - all those mentioned tracks play one right after the other on the CD. Special mention to the gorgeous piano pieces such as Magdalene and Promise (Reprise), and the Alt Rock tunes (Theme of Laura, Love Psalm).

Crazy, varied stuff indeed, but one of amazing quality. It has quickly become one of my favorite soundtracks.

Recommended track: Null Moon

Ok, I think that was enough for today :lol

Tomorrow I'll post the top 5, so any guesses are welcomed :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:26:43 PM by Sacul »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. from #19 to #6!!!! jeez I need a life
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
Oh man, looking for some great lions
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2016, 06:49:03 PM »
ulver - shoopdawoop

also man i'm probably missing something with that bohren album but i dunno. just. really doesn't do much for me

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
wat  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2017, 02:58:26 AM »

NYE is a wonderful time
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2017, 03:00:37 AM »
Yeah I have no fucking idea what I was even trying to say there. :lol

Maybe Iinked RATM to one day as a lion? dunno

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
:soon:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. #1 sax is love, sax is life
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2017, 10:06:18 PM »
Time to finish this!

El Cielo
Dredg

I cannot find the other half...

I will admit that, despite having received The Canyon Behind Me on my first roulette (almost two years go), and it scoring fairly well, never got around to checking this album until earlier this year. I just forgot lol.

So, El Cielo is a very... weird album, but a very accessible one. Kinda like Ok Computer, in which it's easy to fall in love with the tunes and they seem simple and catchy, but when you listen closer, you realise there's lots of weird stuff and experimentation going on. The band's sound is basically 00s alternative rock with a heavy layer of post-rock/shoegaze guitars, a few post-hardcore-like riffs, a baritone singer, ethereal choruses, abrupt mood changes, some weird sounds like eastern traditional chantings, sitars, electronics, tribal drumming, radio signals, etc. I have no clue why those are here and if they mean anything, but I don't mind. It's just a very beautiful record, full of emotion.

Recommended track: The Canyon Behind Her

Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtrack
Akira Yamaoka

We were put here on this earth, put here to feel joy...

Seeing that Silent Hill 3 is a direct sequel to the first game, it'd have been easier for Yamaoka to go back to the visceral madness of industrial and ambient sounds that flooded that soundtrack. But he's smarter, and went full electronic and trip-hop instead, for the most part. And it fucking succeeds. I mean, the darker parts of the game still feature those awesome industrial/dark ambient sounds, but for the most part, the soundtrack is very... melodic.

I think the addition of famous voice actress Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (she's worked on many videogames, anime, and cartoons) on vocals really elevated things here - her unique-kinda-deep voice is captivating and has a beauty to it, and certainly fits very well the trip-hop vibe. Which is a bit more modern and electronic, a little glitchier, than the ones of Portishead or Massive Attack, which relied much on DJ culture and hip-hop.

There's also a few alternative rock songs (You're Not Here and I Want Love (Studio Mix)), and plenty of ambient tunes that are actually very interesting, and sometimes, just gorgeous. Also worth mentioning is the interesting vocal contributions of Joe Romersa on Hometown - his voice is like a hybrid of David Bowie and Geoff Tate.

Although it's not as varied musically as the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack (no metal tunes here), this feels a bit more concise, with less than half tunes being longer than 4 mins, so nothing overstays its welcome. The vocal tracks are probably the best, but there's plenty to love on these instrumentals.

Yamaoka is not only a music but a sound genius: his whole work on the Silent Hill games is fucking brilliant and really elevates them artistically. There are some "complete" soundtracks versions of his work, that try to include every music bit used on the games. And they just show how varied his palette is. Probably my favourite new artist along with Trent Reznor.

Recommended track: Letter ~ From the Lost Days

Weighing Souls with Sand
The Angelic Process

And what I fear the light has burnt away...

Like a review I read stated, it feels like being crushed to death at the bottom of a very beautiful part of the ocean. And damn accurate that is.

The Angelic Process was a music project by a married couple, who inspired by the shoegaze sound of the 90s, tried to make their own take on it. Took them almost 8 years, 3 records and 2 EPs, but that sound culminated its refinement on this album. Extremely distorted guitars, massive layering, distant, unintelligible vocals (and no lyrics sheet), slow tempo, repetitive drumming, drones - the atmosphere here is damn unique, and this approach, although non-conventional, a brilliant one. There are no growls, no blast beats, nor any of the elements of extreme metal, yet Weighing Sould With Sand is a brutal, unforgiving record emotionally.

Saddest thing of all is that Kris Angylus broke his hand shortly after finishing this album. Not even surgery could repair it, thus he couldn't play any guitars or drums, and fell into a deep depression for months. A year later, he took his own life.

Recommended track: Dying in A-Minor

ATGCLVLSSCAP
Ulver

You float there, somewhere between pleasure and fear

Ulver took live recordings of 12 of their gigs, mostly the parts where they jammed and improvised stuff, and heavily dubbed and modified them on studio - the result is an esoteric, very abtract and onirical piece of music. Buildups, endless layers of sound, a fantastic reinterpretation of Nowhere (Catastrophe), long ambient pieces or short heavy songs, mostly instrumental, and a unique atmosphere - this is what ATGCLVLSSCAP is. And I fucking loved it from the moment I first listened to it. Krystoffer Rygg's creativity knows no limits.

Recommended track: Nowhere (Sweet Sixteen)

Sunset Mission
Bohren & der Club of Gore

Feel the sax...

I've been very slowly getting into atmospheric, abstract, ambient kind of music - F#A# Infinity is one of my fav albums for instance. And while a lot of ambient bored me because it was too minimalistic (not a fan of sparse arrangements) or was mostly boring synths for 15 minutes.

Then Bohren appeared.

These guys play a very peculiar style called Dark Jazz, because their music is slow and brooding. Sunset Mission features some typical jazz instrumentation - sax, simple drums, a Fender Rhodes, and a double bass. And in a Slint fashion, who also had normal instruments for their music, Bohren sound like nothing that came before.

What makes their music the most interesting is how this album is basically a very cinematic piece, trying its best to create a mood and images on the listener's mind. It doesn't contain a particular message, nor tries too - it's just purely atmosphere. A Noir one - it's hard not to imagine dangerous cities at dusk, like the album's cover, while listening to songs like Street Tatoo or Prowler. Gangsters smoking on a corner, weapons on a shop window, smoke rising over factories, etc. And it's certainly a very relaxing album, with a wonderfully unpredictable playing by the sax, hypnotising bass lines, and beautiful piano/rhodes melodies.

Funny thing is, none of these guys actually like jazz, and most of them used to play on hardcore bands like Chronical Diarrhoea. And they still are metalheads (see their cover of Warlock's Catch My Heart - with guest vocals by Mike Patton!).

Recommended track: Prowler

And that's it! I've listened to roughly 200 new albums or so this year, and these are the very best of them. Here I've made a pic containing the list plus the honorable mentions, and a short little list with my fav EPs.

This was lots of hard work, but I had free time and passion so it was worth it. I'll try do one of these each year, and probably have a smaller honorable mentions list :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Sacul's 2016 retro list! v. #1 sax is love, sax is life
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
i may consider revisiting sunset mission 'cause i did like it more than black earth (which i didn't finish)

but yeah sax is great, yeah
also the angelic process, is good too

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
For some reason I haven't checked out Out of Season before, though I'm a Portishead fan. I'm listening to it atm and I'm enjoying it very much - Beth is one of the best female singers ever!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »
For some reason I haven't checked out Out of Season before, though I'm a Portishead fan. I'm listening to it atm and I'm enjoying it very much - Beth is one of the best female singers ever!
So glad you're digging it  :D

Btw, updated the recommended songs playlist and the OP in general.