Author Topic: Ghostwriters for famous artists  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Ghostwriters for famous artists
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
Marillion had an outside lyric writer after the split with Fish I believe.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 12:05:17 AM »
Prince wrote songs for other bands. The first one that comes to mind is Manic Monday by the Bengals. ( I think )
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 02:10:31 AM »
Bangles.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
A LOT of famous songs are written by outside writers. And its sad. Why must a musician, to be known, have to get weighted
And written songs made for them to be well known. Damn this dictated society.

I don't understand this point of view.  Well, I understand it, but I don't understand the statement "damn this dictated society"?  What does that mean?   So you can't be good at ONE thing, you have to be the total package?   I've had this conversation before; I think Elvis wrote something like three songs in his catalogue.    Frank Sinatra.   

Art is about expression; express how you see fit.  Are you really telling me that Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan are somehow "better" because they croak out their own lyrics, than, say, Pavarotti? 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Oh, and John Helmer wrote lyrics for Marillion post-Fish, and Prince did in fact write for the Bangles.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
Interestingly, Prince falls into that category, having written The Bangles' "Manic Monday", Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing compares 2 U", and several others.

Yeah, I was coming in here to mention him.  Good call. 

Tom Petty wrote Stop Draggin' My Heart Around for Stevie Nicks.

And my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but I seem to recall that, for awhile, either Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel (or maybe both of them) were doing a lot of writing for others.  I did a quick Google search, but couldn't find anything.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »
Prince wrote songs for other bands. The first one that comes to mind is Manic Monday by the Bengals. ( I think )

That and Nothing Compares 2 U (covered by Sinéad O'Connor) are the two I usually think of.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 12:51:10 AM »
A LOT of famous songs are written by outside writers. And its sad. Why must a musician, to be known, have to get weighted
And written songs made for them to be well known. Damn this dictated society.

I don't understand this point of view.  Well, I understand it, but I don't understand the statement "damn this dictated society"?  What does that mean?   So you can't be good at ONE thing, you have to be the total package?   I've had this conversation before; I think Elvis wrote something like three songs in his catalogue.    Frank Sinatra.   

Art is about expression; express how you see fit.  Are you really telling me that Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan are somehow "better" because they croak out their own lyrics, than, say, Pavarotti?

Totally agree with this.

And I think that there are artists out there that would be much better if they would just play/sing the songs others have written.

For instance I really like Steve Morse's guitar playing, but his solo records are almost always very mediocre, because I don't think he's a good song writer. In a band situation where he's only contributing some parts and not writing whole songs he's much much better.

I would say this "dictated society" works more the other way round. If you can't write your own songs you aren't a "real musician" is the feeling I often get from people. If someone relys on outside writers, he's got no credibility, especially in the prog scene.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D