Author Topic: 2016 Albums of the Year  (Read 14982 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: 2016 Albums of the Year
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2017, 02:41:40 AM »
Devin sneaked in on my #5 :corn
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2017, 02:52:41 AM »
I have done so! I've also added a ranking, even though it was very hard to do so. I suppose there's stuff that I'm forgetting, but at first glance, the list looks pretty good to me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2017, 02:53:38 AM »
I'll redo my list before the end of the month  :biggrin:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
I'm not even close to getting to listen to all the albums I wanted to get to last year, but as it stands, here's where I'm at.

1.   David Bowie – ★ (Blackstar)
2.   Swans – The Glowing Man
3.   Ulver – ATGCLVLSSCAP
4.   Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
5.   Matt Elliott – The Calm Before
6.   Matmos – Ultimate Care II
7.   Nails – You Will Never Be One of Us
8.   Preoccupations – Preoccupations
9.   Haken – Affinity
10.   Roly Porter – Third Law

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
uwu
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:48 AM »
1. Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP
2. Kashiwa Daisuke - program music II
3. Obsidian Kingdom - A Year with no Summer
4. David Bowie - Blackstar
5. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
6. Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
7. Swans - The Glowing Man
8. Alter Bridge - The Last Hero
9. Nils Frahm & Olafur Arnalds - Trance Frendz
10. Iamthemorning - Lighthouse

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2017, 03:12:15 AM »
According to my album list of 2016, I already checked out 36 albums, and I still have around 15 left on my list that I have yet to listen to. Of the ones I have listened to, this is a pretty accurate top 10, I believe.

This might be the heaviest end-of-the-year list I have ever made:

1. Obsidian Kingdom - A Year With no Summer
2. Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
3. Ihsahn - Arktis.
4. Cult of Luna ft. Julie Christmas - Mariner
5. Kayo Dot - Plastic House on Base of Sky
6. Losers - How To Ruin Other People's Futures
7. Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP
8. Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the West
9. The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With the Devil in Confessional
10. Gojira - Magma

I think my list is still pretty accurate, although I kind of want to slip in Radiohead's album as well. I only really started listening to that one in the last two weeks of december (and then my girlfriend gave me the record for Christmas) and I really appreciate how awesome it actually is.

Now that I look back on this list, albums 8-10 are albums I haven't revisited in the past month, while there's some albums not on this list that I have listened to quite extensively ('Air' by Astronoid comes to mind).

Evermind, if you're only counting top 5, then this list will probably still do. If you're going for a top 10, then I might need to reconsider some choices.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

1. The Dear Hunter – Act V
2. Thank You, Scientist – Stranger Heads Prevail
3. Haken – Affinity
4. Blink 182 – California
5. Devin Townsend - Transcendence
6. Gojira – Magma
7. Ihsahn - Arktis
8. Opeth - Sorceress
9. Avengend Sevenfold – The Stage
10. Odd Logic – Penny for Your Thoughts
11. Megadeth – Dystopia
12. Mandroid Echostar – Coral Throne
13. Oceans of Slumber – Winter
14. Astronoid – Air
15. NOFX – First Ditch Effort
16. Thy Catafalque - Meta
17. Metallica – Hardwired…To Self-Destruct
18. Anciients – Voice of the Void
19. The King Blues – Off With Their Heads
20. Vektor – Terminal Redux
21. Slice the Cake – Odyssey to the West
22. Fates Warning – Theories of Flight
23. Dream Theater – The Astonishing
24. Meshuggah – The Violent Sleep of Reason
25. Volbeat – Seal the Deal & Let’s Boogie
26. Witchcraft - Nucleus
27. The Avalanches - Wildflower
28. Wolfmother  - Victorious

I know I said I was going to revise but I actually think I'm happy with this. Evermind, you're only tallying the top 5 for everyone right? My top 5 is set so I'm happy with this. Any changes would likely be further down the rankings anyway.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
I've altered some of the lower-ranking albums in my list, but my top 5 is still as it was. I've just moved Valley of the Windmill by Circa from 8th to 6th place. The album finally clicked with me in the time after I made my post.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
Yep, officially only counting Top 5 so there would be more people eligible. As a separate thing, I may count Top 10s just for fun. But yeah, the official AOTY will be determined by everyone's Top 5.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
I'll drop in my top 5 real quick:

1. Insomnium - Winter's Gate
2. Thrawsunblat - Metachthonia
3. Astronoid - Air
4. Be'lakor - Vessels
5. Oddland - Origin
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
3. Astronoid - Air

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............

:metal :metal :metal

But the #1 worst album cover  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
My order for that got cancelled so I had to reorder it elsewhere but I'm pretty hyped to get it

I can't really do my top 5 of 2016 because I have a decent number of 2016 albums in my latest batch that I still want to be able to consider...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
My order for that got cancelled so I had to reorder it elsewhere but I'm pretty hyped to get it

I can't really do my top 5 of 2016 because I have a decent number of 2016 albums in my latest batch that I still want to be able to consider...

Yea, Air is pretty great. It's not in my top 5 but it's a really cool album. I know what you mean about 2016 albums you're late to. I've just recently gotten around to Bronze by Crippled Black Phoenix, that was an impressive first listen and I need to listen more  :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

Act V is top 1 that's all that matters

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
5. Giraffe Tongue Orchestra - Broken Lines
I was hyped on this months before it was ever released...and it ended up being even better than I was expecting. if anyone can point me in the direction of more alternative rock and alternative metal somewhere along these lines, just make sure it's the scenic route. there's a lot of danceable energy to this one; further cements my desire to start a dance-rock band once I learn to play my instrument with any sort confidence and adequate ability. I just hope these guys follow it up with a sophomore effort, and sooner rather than later.

4. Periphery - P3: Select Difficulty
hey! an album on my list that made a few other top 5's on this forum! I've been along for the ride since Periphery's first album dropped, and despite how much I loved Juggernaut, with Select Difficulties, they've somehow continued the unsustainable pattern of once again one-up'ing the predecessor.  I wish I could complain about the decrease in guitar solos, but how can I when it's perfect just the way it is(?). Not sure what else to say, other than I've been planning to photoshop Misha's head into a bunch of my wedding photos (I need to replace somebody). oh, I know, I'll give a shoutout to Catch Fire for combining the likes of Faith No More verses with the likes of Evanescence choruses and the likes of a One Direction bridge with some overarching Periphery flare for one of the best accessible tunes of the year.

3. Paul Gilbert - I Can Destroy
no one writes and executes standards like this guy. i belly flopped into Paul's discography after hearing Vibrato in 2012, and he's gotta be my most listened to artist in the 4 years post discovery. [(un)interestingly, despite being a big instrumental fan, i don't particularly care for his 3 vocal-free albums of originals (though I am huge on the instrumental stylings on aforementioned Vibrato as well as the covers LP)]. and yeah, I Can Destroyprobably remains my new favorite Paul album, despite the fact there's been enough time for the romance to wear off at this point! not so fun fact: the Japanese bonus track is a candidate for the album's top tune...Shazam doesn't even know that song exists, fuck.

2. Destrage - A Means To No End
my album of the year (or so i thought...). I stumbled upon Destrage's Are You Kidding Me? No. in November 2015 and immediately fanboy'd the isht out of it. Even after the arbitrary romance period, I realized I had a new retroactive 2014 AOTY (sorry bout your luck, Closure In Moscow's Pink Lemonade). while AYKM?N remained in heavy rotation for nearly a year, it had a few hundred spins, and I was more than ready for it's follow up, aka my most anticipated album of the year...it had the sort of expectations I've tried to simmer in recent years for the most eagerly anticipated releases...but it wouldn't have mattered; the album didn't disappoint at all! still too early to tell, but I think I even like it more than its predecessor. it's the type of follow up to an AOTY that makes me think I might have a new favorite band.

1. Cyborg Octopus - Learning To Breathe
circa a week before Christmas, I see Destrage link to a "top albums of the year" list they made from MetalInjection...SO GLAD I checked out the dude's list, cuz I'm obsessed with this gem he unearthed (perhaps unhealthily obsessed; perhaps shouldn't be 'so glad'). despite only spending 6 or 7 weeks with this treasure, I'm confident it shall remain my AOTY after the romance has worn off. I'm just disappointed I didn't see anyone else mention it in their lists; this is the type of album I used to come to DTForums to help me discover...I see a thread was seeded many months ago but died stillborn, RIP. 8-(

Honorable mentions:
Steve Vai - Modern Primitive. Steve's my guy. Love him to death. this album's ambitious and killer (as per usual). but something had to get bumped from my top5 when I got into Cyborg Octopus, and I s'pose I docked this one a few points for being mostly old songs that are finally being brought to life, and for the bummer of a fact I haven't been revisiting it recently.
Orbs - Past Life Regression. this one was initially a disappointment for me. mostly cuz of the expectations it was cursed with for being the follow up to my 2010 AOTY. but it's been heavy in the rotation lately, and it has grown on me immensely...'cept for that one song; maybe it just needs another week.
The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns with the Devil in Confessional. another one that suffers from having to live up to it's predecessor, but a tall drink of quality, no doubt. anyway, I don't think it's gonna suffer from missing out on my top 5 as far as the ballot stuffing on DTF's AOTY goes ;-) 
Levin Minnemann Rudess - From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess. man, these dudes are my dudes. despite a decent amount of spins, I haven't fully wrapped my head around the entirety of this one; I could see it retroactively climbing up my 2016 rankings in due time.
Haken - Affinity. to be honest, I just haven't been in the mood to really dive into it for some reason...but I'm sure if I do, I could fall in love with it. maybe I'll further try forcing it on myself in the coming weeks.

Disappointments(?):
Dream Theater - The Astonishing. so, here's the thing...I purchased this album the weekend it dropped...and I still haven't listened to it :-I. honestly, I was quite intrigued when the concept was first announced prior to the release. my gusto waned a little when I seen the track lengths and track quantities. but that's petty. it wasn't until more and more tidbits of negative feedback found their way to me that my gumption essentially disappeared completely. trippy enough, a lot of that was on this forum just from catching random remarks in this here General Music Discussion subforum (in fact, I don't think I read any of the reactions on the All Things Dream Theater subforum). anyway, I'm near certain I'm not gonna be impressed and still have no desire to give it a chance and be left legitimately disappointed. the wife didn't hate it, but she hardly revisited it, so that doesn't help it's cause.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2017, 11:12:21 PM »
My 2016 Albums of the Year

1. Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence
2. Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the West
3. Periphery - Periphery III: Select Difficulty
4. Gojira - Magma
5. Black Crown Initiate - Selves We Cannot Forgive
6. Frost* - Falling Satellites
7. Moon Tooth - Chromaparagon
8. Anciients - Voice of the Void
9. Deftones - Gore
10. Vola - Inmazes
11. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
12. Car Bomb - Meta
13. Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
14. Norma Jean - Polar Similar
15. The Black Queen - Fever Daydream

Lots of great stuff right outside and have moved in and out of top 15 throughout 2016 for me:

Megadeth - Dystopia
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Fallujah - Dreamless
Astronoid- Air
The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With the Devil in Confessional
Metallica - Hardwired To Self Destruct
Steve Vai - Modern Primative
Protest the Hero - Pacific Myth
Giraffe Tongue Orchestra - Broken Lines
Opeth - Sorceress
Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love
Mutant - Pleiades
Twelve Foot Ninja - Outlier
Fates Warning - Theories Of Flight
Korn - The Serenity Of Suffering
Alter Bridge - The Last Hero

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
Alright, I'm about to start counting the votes. As it turns out, 34 lists are eligible (which means they have at least five albums in particular order). The results are either coming up today or tomorrow, depends on how much time will it take to count everything.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
My Top Five:

Meshuggah- The Violent Sleep of Reason
Frost*- Falling Satellites
Haken- Affinity
Textures- Phenotype
Periphery- Periphery III: Select Difficulty

Full list: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/romdrum/favorites-from-2016/
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
A quick explanation how the points were counted: the #1 album in the list received 5 points, the #2 album got 4 points, and so on. Nothing special or complicated.

Okay, so with 34 lists counted, here's our official DTF 2016 Top 5 Albums of the Year!

1. Haken - Affinity with 52 points (featured in 14 lists, 4 times at the 1st place)

2. Fates Warning - Theories of Flight with 40 points (featured in 11 lists, 5 times at the 1st place)

3. Dream Theater - The Astonishing with 37 points (featured in 12 lists, 3 times at the 1st place)

4. The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With the Devil in Confessional with 33 points (featured in 8 lists, 3 times at the 1st place)

5. The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream with 17 points (featured in 5 lists)

The next five bands are:

6. Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence (15 points)
7. Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage (14 points)
7. Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail (14 points)
9. Big Big Train - Folklore (13 points)
9. Periphery - Periphery III: Select Difficulty (13 points)

There were 79 bands/albums mentioned total in the lists.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »
I thought Fates Warning would snatch it and I'm actually astonished :neverusethis: that DT made it into the top 5!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
Astonishingly boring :V

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
I thought Fates Warning would snatch it and I'm actually astonished :neverusethis: that DT made it into the top 5!!

You'd think on a DT fan forum that wouldn't be surprising  :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »
A quick explanation how the points were counted: the #1 album in the list received 5 points, the #2 album got 4 points, and so on. Nothing special or complicated.

Okay, so with 34 lists counted, here's our official DTF 2016 Top 5 Albums of the Year!

1. Haken - Affinity with 52 points (featured in 14 lists, 4 times at the 1st place)

2. Fates Warning - Theories of Flight with 40 points (featured in 11 lists, 5 times at the 1st place)

3. Dream Theater - The Astonishing with 37 points (featured in 12 lists, 3 times at the 1st place)

4. The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With the Devil in Confessional with 33 points (featured in 8 lists, 3 times at the 1st place)

5. The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream with 17 points (featured in 5 lists)
Concept albums, concept albums everywhere... This looks like a great top 5, and surprisingly, Neal Morse's album made it here, despite having only been out for about 2 months now. I've got that, Haken and DT, but haven't really gotten into FW or TDH, the latter of which I keep hearing a lot about. Maybe it's time I get into them?

The next five bands are:

6. Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence (15 points)
7. Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage (14 points)
7. Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail (14 points)
9. Big Big Train - Folklore (13 points)
9. Periphery - Periphery III: Select Difficulty (13 points)

There were 79 bands/albums mentioned total in the lists.

So glad to see BBT make it in the top 10! Easily one of my favorite albums of 2016, and one of the more underrated bands in the world of prog rock!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »
No complaints about the no. 1 at all. Not my personal #1, but a fantastic album all the same. Really happy The Astonishing is #3 too.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2017, 04:43:09 AM »
I'm planning to start a thread ranking my top 25 albums of last year soon guys, if anyone is interested?

I really need to sit and give them all one proper listen again and to do a write up. I'll probably do a little 'honourable mentions' post but as I only listened to 31 albums last year the ones that didn't make the top 25 are ones I checked out and didn't really like or wasn't impressed by.

Anywho, if there is interest I'll try and start it up within the next week or so  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2017, 04:57:00 AM »
 :tup
I heard a lot of new albums in 2016 but I know there will be some I don't know. Either way, it will be interesting :corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2017, 04:59:53 AM »
Astonishingly boring :V

Nah that would be Ed Sheeran or someone like that. Their music is like microwave food. Takes 2 mins to make and has no nutritional value at all.

a 34 track 130 minute prog metal concept album ? nah.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23:25 AM »
I'll follow it Luke, could be interesting!

NICE!  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2017, 05:27:27 AM »
:tup
I heard a lot of new albums in 2016 but I know there will be some I don't know. Either way, it will be interesting :corn

Don't get your hopes up, I can't guarantee it will be interesting  :| most of the albums on my list will be ones that most people around here will be familiar with. There are a few punk rock albums on there so they may be the only ones that you might not know. There won't be many surprises I don't think but we'll see how it pans out.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2017, 05:34:32 AM »
I like to read about albums I already know and disagree with you so it'll be ok :biggrin:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2017, 05:52:20 AM »
Ok cool, I may try and get the first post up this evening then  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2017, 06:05:10 AM »
Turns out I never got around to making a list. So if anyone cares, here is my top thirteen listed alphabetically (since I'm too lazy to attempt to put these into any order, or to narrow the list down to ten). :lol

All Hail The Silence - AHTS-1
Almanac - Tsar
Avantasia - Ghostlights
Circle of Dust - Machines of our Disgrace
Djelmash - Crossroads
FM-84 - Atlas
Glades - This is What it's Like
Haken - Affinity
LeBrock - Action & Romance
Long Distance Calling - Trips
Scandroid - Scandroid
Tegan and Sara - Love You To Death
The Midnight - Endless Summer

Also:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2017, 06:33:22 AM »
Also, this will be a good opportunity for you guys to point out albums that are missing, that I haven't gotten around to listening to.

Off the top of my head I know I haven't listened to the most recent offerings from Periphery, Destrage, Frost* etc, among others.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
1) Trees of Eternity - Hour of Nightingale
2) Haken - Infinity
3) Babymetal - Metal Resistance
4) Devin Townsend Project - Trancendence
5) Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage
6) Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct
7) The Glowing Man - Swans
8) Gojira – Magma
9) Ihsahn - Arktis
10) Biffy Clyro - Ellipsis

The Astonishing was no where near this list such a disappointment

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
Really? I thought Biffy's album was pure dog shit. Easily their worst album for me.

Opposites was a near masterpiece.