Author Topic: Who would you choose to co-produce the next DT album?  (Read 6868 times)

Offline gzarruk

Who would you choose to co-produce the next DT album?
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »
So, I wanted to ask this here on the forum and thought it was a good idea to start a new thread, since I couldn't find a similar thread and wanted to keep this separate from the DT14 speculation thread.

I'll start with this: I love the last 3 albums, and all 3 are very well ranked on my DT albums list. Having said that, either if you love the last 3 albums or not, I think most of us can agree that DT could benefit from the input of an external co-producer to craft a diferent, yet amazing album, working with our beloved John Petrucci (who, I think, makes a great job producing the albums by himself, but he's not an expert on the craft).

So, my question is: Who would you like to see co-producing the next DT album with JP?

Before you post, please please please consider this:

- Bringing back Mike Portnoy is not an option  :lol
- Steven Wilson is a very popular choice and is good friends with Jordan, but he doesn't like DT and would, probably, never do it, so it's better to not consider him as an option.

Disclaimer: This is just speculation, the band hasn't announced anything about working with an external producer or even about their next album, this is just for fun  :biggrin:

Having said that (I think I covered everything worth mentioning), here are my options:

- Jens Bogren: He has worked with many great bands as a mixer and/or producer including Haken, BTBAM, Symphony X, Angra, Opeth, even James LaBrie's solo albums.

He's definitely experienced and could pull it off very well. Also, would make sense if the band wants to make a heavier album next.

- Nolly Getgood: I'm not a fan of Periphery at all, but his work as a producer and engineer is superb. He really knows how to make every instrument sound great, and he's known for getting killer bass and drum tones, which is a big plus, imo.

Also, the fact that Petrucci's nephew (Jake Bowen) plays for Periphery and that they opened for DT in 2011 would make the connection very easy.

Btw, Nolly just worked on the last DTP album and, while I just can't stand Devy's music (just my taste), the sound is amazing!

- Mikael Akerfeldt: I'm not an Opeth fan either, but Mikael knows how to create great atmospheres and textures and combine them with prog. Also, DT are good friends with him, would be a nice collaboration.

So, that's my list, what do you guys think?  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Who would you choose to co-produce the next DT album?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:39:48 PM »
Seconded on Jens Bogren. He also mixed and mastered Fates Warning's Theories of Flight. That record sounds amazing. That is who I'd like to see.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »
Seconded on Jens Bogren. He also mixed and mastered Fates Warning's Theories of Flight. That record sounds amazing. That is who I'd like to see.

Now, where do we sign?  :lol
You're right about the FW record, all Bogren mixed albums I've heard sound great :D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »
Jens has also mixed and mastered Haken's Affinity and Headspace's All Fear is Gone. Would be amazing if DT chose Jens at least in mixing/mastering the album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »
Jens has also mixed and mastered Haken's Affinity and Headspace's All Fear is Gone. Would be amazing if DT chose Jens at least in mixing/mastering the album.

I might be wrong, but I think he also mixed their Restoration EP, which sounded fantastic as well  :smiley:

Since he also mixed the last two JLB albums, there's a connection right there. It would be really cool  :biggrin:

I think he actually produced the latest Angra record, and I loved the more prog and less power metal direction they went with some songs

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:26:13 PM »
I'm sticking with Kevin Shirley.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »

His production on FII was flawless, imo. Very underrated album and production work. Would be great to have him back, specially after JP said (on that interview from the AFTR tour) working with Kevin was great.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:34:43 AM »
Jeez. Anyone. PLEASE!

Kurt Ballou from Converge. The last two High On Fire albums sound huge, you can hear everything, and the drums sound soooo good.

Or Machine. Again for the great drum sounds on the last two Clutch albums.

Or Rich Mouser. The drums on Spock's Beard albums always sound great.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:06:06 AM »
Jens Bogren, YAY

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:30:04 AM »
Great question!

Id like to see one of these gentlemen produce the next album:

1. Peter Collins (Rush, Flying Colors,etc)
2. Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Alice in Chains, Mastodon, Deftones)
3. Rich Mouser, would probably do a great job as well!

Never going to happen but, why not Robert "Mutt" Lange? :tup

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 05:01:16 AM »

yep. bring back the organic drum sound pls.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »
Jens Bogren for me as well. What he did for Amorphis was pretty insane. Under the Red Cloud sounded way better than anything else they'd done in the last decade and was also one of the band's best records overall, in my opinion.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 06:34:47 AM »
Jens Bogren for me as well. What he did for Amorphis was pretty insane. Under the Red Cloud sounded way better than anything else they'd done in the last decade and was also one of the band's best records overall, in my opinion.

He is a great producer, but his records tend to have a samey sound, at least on the drum department.
But, if DT decided to go for a heavier sound, he is sure one of the best to mix the album.

Jacob Hansen is another great producer-mixing engineer, and i would love DT going with him for a more modern and powerful sound.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
Bob Ezrin.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »

yep. bring back the organic drum sound pls.

Oh yea, give me the caveman baby.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 09:51:38 AM »
I second the Jens Bogren mentions. Also, I'd like them to track down David Prater again just to see what would happen, especially considering that the one who clashed with him the most is now gone.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
John Chelew

Andy Wallace

Glyn Johns
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »
I am prepared to get laughed at, but my favorite producer right now is Butch Walker.

It would never happen, but I'd have a huge smile.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline DanielBiaxident

• mistymnXD
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »
Interesting topic to start posting in this forum (I did this profile some weeks ago).

I've always been thinking about how an album would sound if Terry Date (omitting his work in WDADU), Chris Lord-Alge or Nolly Getgood where at the mixing desk. The all have made awesome sounding albums like "White Pony", "The 2nd Law" or "Transcendence", respectively.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »
Nolly did a great job in Transcendence (Devin Townsend) and Joy of Motions (Animals as Leaders).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
I see lots of love for Jens Bogren here, he would be perfect for a heavier but still DT sounding album, and his mixes are amazing.

Also, lots of people here comment on the drum sound. To me, their current drum sound isn't bad at all, could you elaborate more on that?

What I want the external producer to do is to challenge them to experiment more with their sound and instrument choices. JM, for example, only used this Chapman Stick for one DT song, and hasn't used a fretless bass on a DT album since SFAM  :'(
Jordan seems to be the only one who really likes to experiment and try new sounds and textures to his isntrument, but even him needs to get out of his comfort zone a bit more.

Let's keep in mind, though, that Petrucci is the only leader now (nothing bad with it at all) and, if they ever work with an external co producer, I feel like JP's opinion would still end up being much stronger than the input from the new guy working with the band, so not much would change anyway  :-\

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
I second the Jens Bogren mentions. Also, I'd like them to track down David Prater again just to see what would happen, especially considering that the one who clashed with him the most is now gone.

That would be very interesting as well!  :o

Nolly did a great job in Transcendence (Devin Townsend) and Joy of Motions (Animals as Leaders).

Indeed! Nolly amazes me with the sound of the albums he produces/mixes. He did the right thing by becoming a producer/mixer/engineer full time and not go out on tours with Periphery (he's still in the band, though).

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 03:41:40 AM »
Andy Wallace

Do you want another ADTOE-like sounding album? I sure dont!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 03:45:15 AM »
Anyone but Rick Rubin, Ross Robinson or any "producer" who goes by a nickname like Danger Mouse or Red 1 .

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 04:05:10 PM »
Andy Wallace

Well, Andy only mixed ADTOE, we're talking about producing (and probably mixing too), so the outcome would be different.

I though the general opinion was that people actually prefered the ADTOE sound vs DT12 and TA mixes in general? I think ADTOE sounds great, but should've had the drums a bit higher. some of Mangini's work with his stacks and splashes got buried down the mix  :sad:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
1. Kevin Shirley

2. Steven Wilson

3. Greg Fidelman

4. Garth Richardson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »
Rick Rubin.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
Rick Rubin.

:coolio.. Hi Guys.

... Um...so...Like...just make images and words again. That'll be $50,000 see you in 4 months.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
Rick Rubin.

... Um...so...Like...just make images and words again. That'll be $50,000 see you in 4 months.

Dude is living the dream. Also.......50,000 dollars? I believe you're thinking about his day rate.

And if they get Rick Rubin, then when the fans are split over the next album, we can all come together to blame it on him. I'm trying bring the fans together! My Rick Rubin produced DT album will result in Bosk and Rumby together in embrace.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
It'll sound like A Dramatic Turn Of Events only with no reverb and a nice layer of white noise.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
Andy Wallace

Well, Andy only mixed ADTOE, we're talking about producing (and probably mixing too), so the outcome would be different.

I though the general opinion was that people actually prefered the ADTOE sound vs DT12 and TA mixes in general? I think ADTOE sounds great, but should've had the drums a bit higher. some of Mangini's work with his stacks and splashes got buried down the mix  :sad:

I'm pretty sure TA is widely considered the best mix of the MM albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
Andy Wallace

I'm pretty sure TA is widely considered the best mix of the MM albums.

I would agree, but Myung is nowhere to be found. He's only audible on the soft parts, and that's even more notorious considering he had GREAT presence/tone/bass lines on DT12, produced and mixed by the same guys  :facepalm:

Rick Rubin.

Dude is living the dream. Also.......50,000 dollars? I believe you're thinking about his day rate.

And if they get Rick Rubin, then when the fans are split over the next album, we can all come together to blame it on him. I'm trying bring the fans together! My Rick Rubin produced DT album will result in Bosk and Rumby together in embrace.

I know the whole Rick Rubin thing is a joke, but wasn't him the guy who produced Death Magnetic? I wouldn't want that guy on a DT album anytime soon  :lol (I actually liked the album, but I don't want something like that for DT).

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 04:43:22 AM »
Alan Moulder

Offline jsbru

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »
I&W is definitely the album with the most focus production-wise.  It's their best album, because they stick with their hooks, have great instrumental sections involving the whole band, but they're not so long that they meander on and on.

I like the idea of having some 10-ish minute songs, but I think when their songs get longer than that (unless it's a multi-part epic), they tend to lose focus.

I'd be fine with Prater returning.  I'd even be fine with Shirley.  I thought it was funny his name was mentioned, because supposedly it was the producer that "ruined" FII, but that might have just been MP being MP.  I was actually going to come on here to say that I think FII was their best album tone/mix wise.  The drums sound especially great on this one.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 03:15:10 AM »
Steven Wilson wants his thread back :mehlin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!