Author Topic: Portnoy - where is his prog metal band?  (Read 9627 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Portnoy - where is his prog metal band?
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2016, 03:23:24 AM »
The only song I'd expect DT to intentionally avoid due to being personal to MP would be TBOT, and it's not a song I'd expect them to play regardless. Nothing from the 12SS would surprise me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
I suspect the lack of TGP is due to JP. Of all the songs that I played live in my DT tribute band back in the day, TGP stood out because it was insanely tiring. All other DT songs had nice resting periods in sections, but TGP has very few. There's a solo towards the end that I could play with ease when rested, but by the time you get to it in the song, you're bound to do a sloppy job.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »
I also doubt they'll play Repentance. Not because of Portnoy, but because it hasn't gone over too well with fans (even though it's my favorite off the album).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »
I also doubt they'll play Repentance. Not because of Portnoy, but because it hasn't gone over too well with fans (even though it's my favorite off the album).

Repentance and TGP are my favorites from the 12SS, hope they play them both again in the future.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
I suspect the lack of TGP is due to JP. Of all the songs that I played live in my DT tribute band back in the day, TGP stood out because it was insanely tiring. All other DT songs had nice resting periods in sections, but TGP has very few. There's a solo towards the end that I could play with ease when rested, but by the time you get to it in the song, you're bound to do a sloppy job.

The arpeggios at the start are so fast. They're not even smack-bang on the beat on the actual album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »

The arpeggios at the start are so fast. They're not even smack-bang on the beat on the actual album.

True that. JP does lag a little behind the beat if you listen closely, and the timing isn't spot on 32nds (or whatever it is there), sometimes little triplets creep in with some duplicated notes.
They were never perfect live even at the time (especially with live tempo), so I wouldn't expect it to be flawless now either. I don't mind though, I'd still love to hear it, and appreciate how much of a monster that song is to pull off.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2016, 04:36:45 AM »
And these reasons are the same reason I'm skeptical of the whole Shattered Fortress thing. It's an one hour onslaught of high tempo, highly complex music with very little downtime other than Repentance. And the covers i have seen from the MP bands thus far has been very underwhelming (PSMS and Metal Allegiance). And thats on tracks with far less complexity (stuff even I could play).

If JP cant play this live properly, how the hell is a cover band supposed to?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2016, 08:28:36 AM »
But MP has the option of using multiple musicians.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »
But MP has the option of using multiple musicians.
Indeed.  He has lots of friends, he can use multiple guitarists throughout the suite (even  within the same song).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
Well, take into consideration that this is supposed to be a band that can travel as well.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
My guess is that the band will have 2 guitars, to make a richer live arrangement and to give some "rest" to one of them while the other is playing a harder part.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »
Well, take into consideration that this is supposed to be a band that can travel as well.
I thought they were only doing two performances.

Maybe I missed something (not unlikely).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
Three have been announced thus far, with more coming...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »
I thought they were only doing two performances.

Maybe I missed something (not unlikely).

I think they announced 4: The cruise, Prog Power, Night of the Prog and Be Prog. My Friend. So it's probably going to be just one set of musicians for all the 12SS/DT songs they decide to play.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »
Interesting, yet not surprising comment from Mike on his FB page regarding the Mexico City gig...

Mike Portnoy :  There's no guarantee I'll be filming these...and even if I was, I can't guarantee I can even release it without DT's consent...
These are once in a lifetime shows...catch em while you can!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
Interesting, yet not surprising comment from Mike on his FB page regarding the Mexico City gig...

Mike Portnoy :  There's no guarantee I'll be filming these...and even if I was, I can't guarantee I can even release it without DT's consent...

That sounds about right. I mean no one outside of the band and the band's management really knows what the details of the separation were, but I'd imagine that if Mike were to play songs that were written by "Dream Theater" and sell those songs as a live DVD, he'd need the permission of Dream Theater to do so. Now whether they would give him permission or not is an interesting question...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2016, 07:18:32 AM »

Not sure it's interesting or surprising.  It's just the legal truth.  You can't sell your performance of material without the permission of the copyright holder.

I don't necessarily think that DT would withhold consent, but that consent would still have to be sought by MP before any recording could be released.  Same thing with DT releasing their cover performances through Ytsejam Records - they had to get the consent of Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, and Metallica.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2016, 07:22:05 AM »
Mike released Repentance with Flying Colors on their first live CD. Probably DT has given permission then and I think they will for future releases. Why shouldn't they?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2016, 07:24:10 AM »
Mike released Repentance with Flying Colors on their first live CD. Probably DT has given permission then and I think they will for future releases. Why shouldn't they?
I don't think they would.  It's just another hoop that would have to be jumped through.

Honestly, he probably would have been better off just to say the performances probably won't be filmed.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2016, 07:36:39 AM »

Prepare for the facebook MPWarrior attack:
Those guys in DT are so mean!! You are the best!! They should let you do whatever you want with those songs because they are YOURS!!

Note: I really don't have anything against the Shattered Fortress. As noxon said, I'm a little bit doubtful of how it will turn out but it's a cool idea nevertheless, but his hardcore fans have a very special talent to make MP look good and make the rest of DT look bad in any given situation lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2016, 08:28:56 AM »
Honestly, he probably would have been better off just to say the performances probably won't be filmed.

Yeah, this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »

Prepare for the facebook MPWarrior attack:
Those guys in DT are so mean!! You are the best!! They should let you do whatever you want with those songs because they are YOURS!!

Note: I really don't have anything against the Shattered Fortress. As noxon said, I'm a little bit doubtful of how it will turn out but it's a cool idea nevertheless, but his hardcore fans have a very special talent to make MP look good and make the rest of DT look bad in any given situation lol.

Yep, that's why I stopped following Mike's fb page months ago. However, Mike's comments are the ones who add fuel to the fire in the first place. As said by hef, he should've just said "I don't think they'll be filmed", but no, Mikey always has to include the "don't know if they'll allow me to do it", and bam! all the MP fanboys are triggered :facepalm:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2016, 09:14:10 AM »
Btw, about the Mexico show, the other bands playing are his son's band (Next to None) and Haken, just those two bands. I think this isn't just a coincidence, my bet is that MP's Shattered Fortress has, at least, one member of Haken. Most likely Diego Tejeida.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »
Btw, about the Mexico show, the other bands playing are his son's band (Next to None) and Haken, just those two bands. I think this isn't just a coincidence, my bet is that MP's Shattered Fortress has, at least, one member of Haken. Most likely Diego Tejeida.

I would love to hear Ross Jennings sing those songs.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2016, 09:18:58 AM »
DT couldn't stop a release of a live recording of those tracks even if they wanted to. All music publishing rights are signed off to BMI/ASCAP and for that reason anyone can release a live recording as long as they pay BMI/ASCAP the money for royalties for using those songs. I know this because i've done it - with DT material that contained non-DT tracks/pieces of. I just wrote a list of the music i was using - including DTs, and paid the copyright, and that was that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »

I would love to hear Ross Jennings sing those songs.

Would love it too. The version of The Mirror they did with MP was great.
However, I think he'll go with another vocalist, someone similar to Russell Allen, I guess.

DT couldn't stop a release of a live recording of those tracks even if they wanted to. All music publishing rights are signed off to BMI/ASCAP and for that reason anyone can release a live recording as long as they pay BMI/ASCAP the money for royalties for using those songs. I know this because i've done it - with DT material that contained non-DT tracks/pieces of. I just wrote a list of the music i was using - including DTs, and paid the copyright, and that was that.

Well, maybe it's a condition they gave him after he quit the band, and he had to agree. It's either that, or Mike just said it to make a more dramatic "come to see it or you'll regret it" vibe (while also triggering his MP warriors at the same time)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »

If that's the case, then MP would know that. If MP knows that, why on earth would he answer that question on FB that way?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
Well, what Noxon said is basically true as to the general rule of law.  But in practice, this sort of thing can get much, much more messy.  Bands, labels, etc. do file lawsuits over this kind of thing.  It ends up being more nuanced sometimes, and can be an expensive and time-consuming proposition to litigate, even though those kinds of lawsuits don't end up going anywhere.  I say all that just to say that Mike is not a lawyer and may very well NOT know all the rules and legal nuances.  There are lots of things to fault him for, but this comment isn't really one of them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »
Oh I'm not trying to say Mike was at fault here, I'm kinda just curious. I wouldn't expect Mike to know legal nuances, but knowing his personality I'd bet that as soon as he put this project together, he thought about filming it and releasing it, that's a very Mike thing to do (and a great idea). So I guess I figured he would have asked his legal counsel or looked into it already, purely speculation on my part. Like I said though, I'm not trying to say he's at fault, just more curious than anything else.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »
Oh I'm not trying to say Mike was at fault here, I'm kinda just curious. I wouldn't expect Mike to know legal nuances, but knowing his personality I'd bet that as soon as he put this project together, he thought about filming it and releasing it, that's a very Mike thing to do (and a great idea). So I guess I figured he would have asked his legal counsel or looked into it already, purely speculation on my part. Like I said though, I'm not trying to say he's at fault, just more curious than anything else.

Plus, he has already recorded and released live albums with Flying Colors and PSMS, each containing at least one DT song, so he should already know if he's allowed, or not, to put out DT material with another band. Maybe the conditions change if the album has only DT songs, but I don't think the case would be that much different.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
Well, what Noxon said is basically true as to the general rule of law.  But in practice, this sort of thing can get much, much more messy.  Bands, labels, etc. do file lawsuits over this kind of thing.  It ends up being more nuanced sometimes, and can be an expensive and time-consuming proposition to litigate, even though those kinds of lawsuits don't end up going anywhere.  I say all that just to say that Mike is not a lawyer and may very well NOT know all the rules and legal nuances.  There are lots of things to fault him for, but this comment isn't really one of them.

You guys seem to know much more about this than me but keep in mind Slash was prevented from releasing a live album in the US because it had GNR songs.  For some reason he was able to release it in Europe but not here. 

Plus, he has already recorded and released live albums with Flying Colors and PSMS, each containing at least one DT song, so he should already know if he's allowed, or not, to put out DT material with another band. Maybe the conditions change if the album has only DT songs, but I don't think the case would be that much different.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is marketed exclusively on the back of Dream Theater. 

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
No idea if MP wants another prog band gig. To be honest, I did have the thought occur to me after he left DT that Mike was intentionally avoiding prog bands for a time. But it seems that that feeling wasn't founded on anything else than a hunch, he seems perfectly happy just doing his thing.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2016, 01:12:49 AM »
Answer: Lee-Lifeson-Portnoy.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2016, 03:09:38 AM »
Answer: Lee-Lifeson-Peartnoy.

FYI.  ;)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »