Author Topic: Portnoy - where is his prog metal band?  (Read 9585 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Portnoy - where is his prog metal band?
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
I think most fans will agree that Mike Portnoy was instrumental in the growth and development of Dream Theater. He was one of the core creative writers/arrangers in the band, and he was the public face of Dream Theater, helping develop the band's image with fans and the media. Now that some time has passed since his departure, and his statements in the past year about missing aspects of Dream Theater, I was thinking -- it is really odd he does not have a prog metal band of his own to move forward in the genre, working off of DT songs, and of course, new material.

I mean, consider that Portnoy, whether you agree with how he went about things or not, was a founding member and decision maker in the band. He didn't write many songs, musically, but he did do arrangements, and he did write lyrics. He was neck deep in every creative aspect and decision Dream Theater made. I don't think there's any dispute there.

So why hasn't he embraced starting a new prog metal band? He's got the connections, he can find the right people, and it's obvious he's proud of the songs. I'm not saying this potential band would only play Dream Theater, but that Dream Theater's catalog, particularly the songs Mike either wrote lyrically, or was instrumental in their development, could serve as a template. I think, if Mike did something like that, it would grab the attention of most prog metal fans.

To a degree, his one-off "Shattered Fortress" next year may be the precursor to this idea, but it's about time, ya know? He's obviously not going to be back in Dream Theater. Anyone reading the tea leaves can see the band is happy the way things are. A good operatic, dependable singer is hard to find, but there are guys out there. Virtuoso players are abound these days. In theory, all of this should be entirely doable by Mike, and give him that leadership aspect he has said he is missing, and gives fans more prog metal (along with another band playing select DT songs at the same level as DT).

I wouldn't view this as competing with DT, as much as Mike embracing his love of prog metal, and his desire to be a band leader again. The well hasn't run dry with MP, and it'd be a nice way for him to potentially use DT songs as a jumping off point to create something powerful and new.

Thoughts?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

Re: Portnoy - where is his prog metal band?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
Well, I always wondered the same thing, specially after all these years, but he has always said he enjoys his current thousand bands and the different styles he plays with each one. For what he's said, he currently has no interest on it.

If he does, though, that would cause a LOT of comparisons between it and DT, it's just inevitable at this point  :-\

Last, his biggest missed opportunity was when he announced a new band with Russell Allen, which most of us thought would be a new prog metal band... and ended up being Adrenaline Mob  :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
I think he answered your questions on a thousand interviews.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:33:01 PM »
Not really. Not recently. I don't believe for a second Portnoy is content without being a band leader in a prog metal band. He helped build the biggest prog metal band in the world, which got bigger after he left. With his personality, he absolutely wants it again -- but just hasn't come out and directly said it. Shattered Fortress, I think, is going to be a precursor to something.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
I think at this stage in his life, it's harder to start a new prog metal band off the ground than a hard rock band like Winery Dogs. I don't think he has the drive anymore for this. He has other musical outlets and has been a hired gun for others and I truly believe he enjoys it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think it is about "drive" at all.  I personally think the fact that we have not seen him form a full-on, permanent prog metal band is contributed to by two factors.  I am purely guessing, but here's my take:

1.  He is extremely hesitant because, no matter how "different" it is, it will inevitably be seen as an attempt to "compete with" or "one-up" Dream Theater, and when it never achieves the success of DT, a certain segment of the fan base will crucify him over it.  I would think this would make him extremely hesitant.

2.  I think maybe the planned collaboration with Akerfelt and Wilson was, in his mind, maybe going to turn into a viable prog super group that he could tout as his answer to the critics.  But when that fell through, I think maybe it may have been his best opportunity to put something together that would have big enough name recognition to garner immediate success. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
What Bosk said + I think the only way for MP to get involved in prog metal is through a super group formed by other prog metal figures. Problem with that is I don't see anybody from a prog metal band doing a prog metal side project, most musicians seem to enjoy doing something different from their main band.

The other possibility is if Haken ever needs a drummer, I can see Portnoy wanting that job, but there's no way it'd be permanent.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Interesting responses so far. I disagree about Mike. I think he absolutely wants a permanent prog metal gig. I guess time will tell. I don't think he fears being crucified at this point. He misses playing those songs the helped create. Just a hunch, but I think we'll see him do something along those lines in late 2017.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »
I love Mike and he is one of my top 3 drummers, but do you guys think he could pull off a song like The Architect?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »
  Shattered Fortress, I think, is going to be a precursor to something.

I do too.

This music was his love for so long.

1.  He is extremely hesitant because, no matter how "different" it is, it will inevitably be seen as an attempt to "compete with" or "one-up" Dream Theater, and when it never achieves the success of DT, a certain segment of the fan base will crucify him over it.  I would think this would make him extremely hesitant.

This is a great point and I agree with it. MP is too aware to not be cognizant of this.

Just a hunch, but I think we'll see him do something along those lines in late 2017.

Just a hunch?? Spill the beans bro!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
I agree with bosk, and would raise it even further in that his drumming would also get measured against modern drumming greats. That's probably another can of worms he's not keen in opening. I mean, look at the audition documentary, half of those guys run circles around MP when it comes to drumming. (He himself has said something along those lines)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »
I love Mike and he is one of my top 3 drummers, but do you guys think he could pull off a song like The Architect?
I don't think there are any Haken songs he can't do. He might struggle with any blast beat sections but Haken doesn't utilize those much anyway. Portnoy hasn't done DT level technical music in such a long time that I think people forget how much of a more than capable drummer he is. Maybe not at the level of the modern prog metal elites, but imo the Haken guy isn't near that level either.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
Interesting responses so far. I disagree about Mike. I think he absolutely wants a permanent prog metal gig.

He has actually said he doesn't, multiple times. Just read any of his latest interviews  :lol

Now, what someone says isn't always what he/she wants, but, since we can't read his mind, we have to take his public words for it which are, basically something like "I'm happier than ever, I have so much musical freedom now, this is what I always wanted. There's so much more styles that I like than just prog metal".

Yes, I'm using my own words there, but this is basically what he said.

An example: https://noisefull.com/interviews/mike-portnoy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jester

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
Just taking what comes my way and not worrying too heavily on what might or does not.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »
I agree that he won't want to open the comparison with DT. The haters would be all over that. Ain't nobody got time for that! If he's going to do it, he'll want to wait and do it right.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 12:55:27 AM »
I think he puts a lot of that energy into Transatlantic and The Neal Morse Band. Especially that last one has gotten exceedingly proggier.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 05:04:49 AM »
If he does a prog-metal project it will automatically be compared to Dream Theater and there will be a lot of hate and downputting on both sides (by the "fans", probably not by the musicians involved). And although he has many fans I doubt that he will reach the success and status that DT has today, so his band will always be the "little DT offspring". Not sure if he wants to submit himself to that.

And he's already a permanent member in four bands (Flying Colours, Neal Morse Band, Transatlantic, Winery Dogs) where he is more or less heavily involved with recording, touring, writing, promoting. Then there are his one off projects and his guest spots. I'm not sure if he has the time and energy to commit himself fully to yet another band, where he will be the leader and therefore has to spent even more time. Even for a workaholic the day has only 24 hours.

That said, I'm curious what comes out of his Shattered Fortress band.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 05:37:35 AM »
I think the current version of the Neal Morse collaboration (the Neal Morse Band) is his "answer" to the prog question. Eric Gillette is a very competent shredder and has a lot of very neat moments on the last album. So much so that MP constantly refers to him as a copy of JP (my paraphrasing, not his actual words).

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 06:31:50 AM »
I think it makes sense that he wanted to break out of prog metal for a while at least. And he's done so many things throughout these years that it seems like he wanted to try new things.

And of course the comparisons to DT would be unavoidable so it makes sense that he hasn't pursued a prog metal band at this point.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »

I agree with this point, but I also have a gut feeling that aside from what any fans might think, deep down, part of him doesn't want to be "competing with" the DT music that he himself helped to create because most of his blood/sweat/tears throughout his life went into that and he is still very proud of it. Just my thoughts.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
bosk1's point makes a lot of sense. But MP is guided more by emotion than what makes practical sense. And that's not an insult, it just means he's an emotional guy and makes a lot of decisions based on his gut feelings and desires.

He has actually said he doesn't, multiple times. Just read any of his latest interviews  :lol

Now, what someone says isn't always what he/she wants, but, since we can't read his mind, we have to take his public words for it which are, basically something like "I'm happier than ever, I have so much musical freedom now, this is what I always wanted. There's so much more styles that I like than just prog metal".

Yes, I'm using my own words there, but this is basically what he said.

An example: https://noisefull.com/interviews/mike-portnoy

Yes, that's fine, but no, I don't think we take his public words for it. As I said above, he's a guy who is driven by his emotions. What he said, that you paraphrased, is what makes his profile look good in the press. I don't believe a word of it, based on history. Sure, PART of him is happy, but there is a big part, which he alludes to, that misses what he had. And that, I think, will ultimately drive him.

This whole thread is speculation, so there's no right and wrong. But I judge the man based on what I've read, friends who know him and gave me some insight to his personality, and decisions MP has made in the past. All of that leads me to guess the time is coming where MP is going to go full on prog metal again and re-embrace his DT roots with a band.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:36 AM »
I don't know why some people assume that just because he played in a prog metal band for most of his career, he now has to go and form another prog metal band. Maybe that's the reason he doesn't do it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
^^ absolutely.

When you look at the late MP-era DT albums and the strong influences they put into them (e.g. Muse), I think the point could be made that he was already dissatisfied with the constraints that DT put on him musicially. For a while he was trying to use DT as a vehicle to expand his musical interests, but when he left he probably didn't look back (musically) for quite a while. And with Neal Morse he gets his proggy fix anyway.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
I don't know why some people assume that just because he played in a prog metal band for most of his career, he now has to go and form another prog metal band. Maybe that's the reason he doesn't do it.

"Some people?"  :lol

Just address me, since I am the one that started the thread. That's not why I assume he has to go and do it. I feel he will, based on what I said above. Which, as I also said, isn't right, and isn't wrong. It's a speculative opinion, which, I think is the point of discussion forums.

You may be entirely correct, but so could I. That's the frustrating beauty of the forum, right?  :tup

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 08:05:48 AM »

When you look at the late MP-era DT albums and the strong influences they put into them (e.g. Muse), I think the point could be made that he was already dissatisfied with the constraints that DT put on him musicially. For a while he was trying to use DT as a vehicle to expand his musical interests, but when he left he probably didn't look (musically) for quite a while. And with Neal Morse he gets his proggy fix anyway.

All very true, rumbo. It actually was a big complaint of mine pre-MP departure. That doesn't change what I said above about MP being guided by his emotions, however. Shattered Fortress, and its reception, will likely guide that decision...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »
We'll see, yeah. I mean, it looks like Mike was convinced that SOAD was going to be the prog epic the world was waiting for, but the poor reception of it might make him reconsider whatever prog plans he may have been having.

On another note, it's kinda kinda odd that both DT and MP invoked The Wall as a comparison for their latest album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
I wouldn't say "odd."  Floyd are a huge influence for Portnoy, Neal, and the DT guys.  That, and there aren't that many really influential prog double concept albums out there.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
We'll see, yeah. I mean, it looks like Mike was convinced that SOAD was going to be the prog epic the world was waiting for, but the poor reception of it [...]

Just curious - I've no horse in the race - but regarding the "poor reception", what are you basing that on?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
If rumborak and the people he knows generally do not like something, he believes it received a "poor reception."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
I disagree about Mike. I think he absolutely wants a permanent prog metal gig.
There is, literally, no evidence for that. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
I disagree about Mike. I think he absolutely wants a permanent prog metal gig.
There is, literally, no evidence for that.

Hef -- I never said there was...except for Shattered Fortress happening. It is entirely speculation, based on how I perceive Mike Portnoy's personality to be from observation over the years.

C'mon, I know I've been out of the DTF loop for awhile, but speculation is part of the fun!  :D

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
If rumborak and the people he knows generally do not like something, he believes it received a "poor reception."

MP himself no longer counts into your list of valid opinions? Getting more selective over the years, buddy.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
Link to the article/tweet/whatever as proof?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
Ah, I thought you meant more of a poor critical reception.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK