Author Topic: Your car, if money was no object  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Your car, if money was no object
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
I had sex in this car.

Probably would've been better if there was someone else there with you! ;D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
I've never been a car fanatic but there are a few that I've always wanted.

1967 Shelby Mustang GT500

1979 Trans Am 6.6L engine though I'd probably want to expand on it. - Either this or the 1969.

Then, the money cars.
Lamborghini Veneno

Aston Martin One - 77

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 04:58:07 AM »
I had sex in this car.

Probably would've been better if there was someone else there with you! ;D

Pshaw.  The tendinitis killed me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 05:12:07 AM »
BMW i8   It's their luxury electric car, about $140k.  Either that, or a M6.  And (and I'm stealing this lock stock and barrel from our own el Barto), I'm going to Munich to watch them build it.

If you've got 8 minutes to kill, you might enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8p2R6trfE

I had a feeling it'd be that top gear link before I even clicked :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 05:38:04 AM »
Probably a new Camaro, and a Range Rover
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:05 AM »
If I could afford an electric car of some sort, that would be my choice atleast as my main car.
I could never see myself owning a fancy sports car, i'm too humble and low key to feel comfortable in something like that. Wouldn't mind test driving one though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
I went through a phase when I was younger where I desperately wanted an exotic supercar, like a Lambo or a Ferrari. While those cars are incredible machines and probably absolute wonders to drive, I don't think I'd want to live with one as my day-to-day car. Weekend car if I was limitlessly wealthy? Maybe.

But I still gravitate towards the super-luxury performance sedans. I'm not even swayed by Maybachs or Rolls Royces, though they are impeccable cars, as well. I want something that feels like heaven and is just as much fun to drive.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 06:59:46 AM »
I went through a phase when I was younger where I desperately wanted an exotic supercar, like a Lambo or a Ferrari. While those cars are incredible machines and probably absolute wonders to drive, I don't think I'd want to live with one as my day-to-day car. Weekend car if I was limitlessly wealthy? Maybe.

A lot of those supercars would be terrible every day cars. A lot of them don't even come with a radio or A/C.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 06:59:47 AM »
It might be different if i was insanely rich but i've never understood buying the most expensive things because you can.

Your car costs $1m ? Does it get you from A to B comfortably ?

Yeah a car that costs $25,000 will do that too...

A friend of mine once paid £300 for a watch. A watch.

My watch cost £30 and it tells the time too.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 07:00:43 AM »
 :|
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 07:03:27 AM »

Only thing I'll say to that is that I bought a $375 watch 12 years ago that still works. My girlfriend has bought at least a dozen $20 watches in the three years we've been dating because they break if you cough too hard. Do the math. There does come a point where the price you pay is blatantly excessive, but for a lot of things, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »
Only thing I'll say to that is that I bought a $375 watch 12 years ago that still works. My girlfriend has bought at least a dozen $20 watches in the three years we've been dating because they break if you cough to hard. Do the math. There does come a point where the price you pay is blatantly excessive, but for a lot of things, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.

^Wisdom

I'm a complete idiot, so this has always been my dream car. I even hear they drive like crap, but I've always wanted one.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »
I bought my £30 watch in like 2002 and it only just stopped working so...

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 07:50:20 AM »
Just because something can be gotten for less money doesn't mean it's the obvious, better choice. If it's the better choice for you, then go for it. But I'm not going to sit here and shit on someone's decision to buy a $20 watch that "tells time just fine" while I have an ultra luxury watch on my wrist that has precious gems, handmade gears and sprockets, and an automatic self-winding mechanism with a 75-hour power reserve in it that was all hand-assembled in Switzerland and cost an exorbitant amount of money that, most importantly, was given to me as a gift by my entire family, the same way I wouldn't shit on someone for paying 6 figures for an A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Rattrapante in Platinum.
£300 for a watch is pocket change compared to what my watch cost. So what? My watch means a shit-ton to me, and if it happened to be that I bought it with my own money, it would still mean a ton to me because I value the timepiece, the mechanisms, the science, the craftsmanship, and horology as a whole, in general. For people who want expensive things like cars and watches, the experience is just as important as the utility. Does that mean a $20 watch is crap? No of course not. But for those who appreciate such things, ultra luxury watches (and other things) hold just as much value as more cost-effective alternatives.

The same goes for cars, or anything else "fine." If someone appreciates it, and can afford it, who cares if there is something that "does it just as well" for a fraction of the price? And it isn't even our business if they can afford it. We are so quick to pass judgment on others' choices just because they differ from our own.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
BMW i8   It's their luxury electric car, about $140k.  Either that, or a M6.  And (and I'm stealing this lock stock and barrel from our own el Barto), I'm going to Munich to watch them build it.
Wouldn't be my choice, but I'd certainly go and specify every detail of my eventual 330. I'd want a non-M 3-series, but with a whole lot of the M stuff built onto it.

Other option would be having an E30 like my old one completely restored. Funnest car in the world.

I'm not a huge "green" guy, and I would never, ever be caught in a Prius, but the look of that i8 is just something else.  Love the blue accents on the black car... it's basically the Batmobile.

You're not kidding, though, those E30's were fun.  My first was an E21, right at the transition (if I remember correctly, there was a year overlap, though I don't exactly know how that played out in terms of actual sales) but my second was an E30, and that car got DRIVEN.   I didn't have to do much to it, couple interior parts from a junkyard, but it held up like a champ.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear it's still being driven somewhere today.

Surprised at all the Camaro love here.  Not that that's bad (while I was looking east to Europe, everyone else in high school seemed to drive the same Camaro Guy Fieri drives now). 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »
I personally love new cars. I will never ever discount the pure joy and simplicity of older model cars, especially in the era before the computers took over everything, but my love of the new and advanced keeps the current and subsequent model years as my objects of desire. Hard to explain, I just love how newer cars feel.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »
I'm not a huge "green" guy, and I would never, ever be caught in a Prius, but the look of that i8 is just something else.  Love the blue accents on the black car... it's basically the Batmobile.

You're not kidding, though, those E30's were fun.  My first was an E21, right at the transition (if I remember correctly, there was a year overlap, though I don't exactly know how that played out in terms of actual sales) but my second was an E30, and that car got DRIVEN.   I didn't have to do much to it, couple interior parts from a junkyard, but it held up like a champ.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear it's still being driven somewhere today.

Surprised at all the Camaro love here.  Not that that's bad (while I was looking east to Europe, everyone else in high school seemed to drive the same Camaro Guy Fieri drives now).
Yeah, I can't help but to think a 3-sized car with BMW handling and the instant torque you get from batteries would be just stupidly fun to drive. Sadly, they don't make such a thing yet. Some day they will, though.

I bought my E30 with 70k on it and drove it every day for 10 years like the cops were chasing me. There were no law-abiding drives in that car. As you know the odometer craps out around 130k, and then I put another 100k or so on it. By the time I let it go the drive-train was still tip-top but everything around it was kaput. Inability to get it inspected was the coup de gras.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »

I never liked the new Camaro, but this I can get on board with.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
I personally love new cars. I will never ever discount the pure joy and simplicity of older model cars, especially in the era before the computers took over everything, but my love of the new and advanced keeps the current and subsequent model years as my objects of desire. Hard to explain, I just love how newer cars feel.

I'm not a big car guy and can't really answer the question of this thread easily since I just don't know, but I am with you on this.  The new advancements in technology like having cameras in your car are pretty neat features that would hold me back from chosing an old car in this scenario. 

I rented a Mercedes E220D on my last business trip and it had such a nice beautiful technology system of cameras and parallel parking assistance.  Pretty typical with new cars these days (but I had not expereinced these features with my own car yet) so I was pretty floored by how awesome the cool tech features are.  I also really needed the help of the cameras since I was used to driving my civic and then was driving a much bigger car in far more narrow streets/parking spots that I struggled a bit in the beginning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »

I'm not a big car guy and can't really answer the question of this thread easily since I just don't know, but I am with you on this.  The new advancements in technology like having cameras in your car are pretty neat features that would hold me back from chosing an old car in this scenario. 

I rented a Mercedes E220D on my last business trip and it had such a nice beautiful technology system of cameras and parallel parking assistance.  Pretty typical with new cars these days (but I had not expereinced these features with my own car yet) so I was pretty floored by how awesome the cool tech features are.  I also really needed the help of the cameras since I was used to driving my civic and then was driving a much bigger car in far more narrow streets/parking spots that I struggled a bit in the beginning.

Dude, I just figured out that I could plug my iPod into the stereo.  I'm a LONG fucking way from "parking assistance". 

All my old cars I would immediately put a stereo in, sometimes with an equalizer.  I drive an '06 X3, and I'm LOATHE to break up the dash and put an aftermarket radio in.  It's literally a transition year for that car on technology - the early '06's can't accept any aux input to the radio, mid-year can take an iPod but the controls are non-existent, and later that year they started incorporating controls into it... I have mid-year - but it drives like a beast, like a quintessential 3-series, and I won't trade that for all the bad Motley Crue riffs in the world.  :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2016, 12:30:55 PM »

I never liked the new Camaro, but this I can get on board with.

*snip*

Nice. Trans Am Depot does some sweet work. I'd take one of their cars.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2016, 12:39:49 PM »
Dunno why, but I've got this song stuck in my head now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

Dude, I just figured out that I could plug my iPod into the stereo.  I'm a LONG fucking way from "parking assistance". 

All my old cars I would immediately put a stereo in, sometimes with an equalizer.  I drive an '06 X3, and I'm LOATHE to break up the dash and put an aftermarket radio in.  It's literally a transition year for that car on technology - the early '06's can't accept any aux input to the radio, mid-year can take an iPod but the controls are non-existent, and later that year they started incorporating controls into it... I have mid-year - but it drives like a beast, like a quintessential 3-series, and I won't trade that for all the bad Motley Crue riffs in the world.  :)

Just wait until you get bluetooth in your car.  I installed a crappy adapter, but in the cars with it built in and it just connect to your phone and can play your music seemlessly through the dashboard (as well as use other phone features through the dash). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »

I know exactly why!  THE BANDIT!

(By the way, the guitar solo in that song is KILLER.)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
It might be different if i was insanely rich but i've never understood buying the most expensive things because you can.

Can't comment on watches or million dollar cars, but I always like driving SUVs because I'm a drummer and being able to take my drumset with me is pretty important. That said, a difference between a cheap SUV and a super nice like I posted (70-80,000 not 1m) is how loud it is. I hate driving, but I have to drive a lot for work. When I'm in my car I listen to a crap ton of music. When the noise of the road is pretty loud, it actually makes a specific frequency or set of frequencies which then tend to cancel out those frequencies in the song. The result is a lot of the music sounding horribly mixed unless it's being blasted. So I'd rather have that 80,000 dollar SUV where I am very comfortable and can enjoy a very very quiet drive (regarding road noise).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
I've always has small economy cars but I always wanted what my dad had when I was born to about 4 years old.  A 1966 Shelby Cobra.  Candy Apple Red.  I should dig up some pictures at my dad's house.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 01:51:09 PM »

Can't comment on watches or million dollar cars, but I always like driving SUVs because I'm a drummer and being able to take my drumset with me is pretty important. That said, a difference between a cheap SUV and a super nice like I posted (70-80,000 not 1m) is how loud it is. I hate driving, but I have to drive a lot for work. When I'm in my car I listen to a crap ton of music. When the noise of the road is pretty loud, it actually makes a specific frequency or set of frequencies which then tend to cancel out those frequencies in the song. The result is a lot of the music sounding horribly mixed unless it's being blasted. So I'd rather have that 80,000 dollar SUV where I am very comfortable and can enjoy a very very quiet drive (regarding road noise).

I'd love a Platinum Toyota Sequoia or a Land Cruiser.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »

That's weird, I would have expected this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2016, 06:35:37 PM »
Nice.  Excellent memory to have recalled that that is one of my all-time favorite songs.  I don't even know how many years it has been since I have mentioned it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »
Nice.  Excellent memory to have recalled that that is one of my all-time favorite songs.  I don't even know how many years it has been since I have mentioned it.  :lol

Bitchin' Camaro & Big Lizard in My Backyard are always in my arsenal of forum humor, and i remember with whom to deploy them   :lol
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
How the hell has this not been mentioned yet? People in this thread too young??

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2016, 08:16:43 AM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »
My garage would include the following..

Tesla Model X
Range Rover Sport
1988 Ferrari Testarossa in white
Porche 911 Turbo S

I wouldn't mind to have a Starship Enterprise too. :biggrin: