Author Topic: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???  (Read 43968 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
'It works' is my least favourite musical term. the bassist in my last band used it so he could play in F even though the song was in F#

I don't get how that "works"  :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »
'It works' is my least favourite musical term. the bassist in my last band used it so he could play in F even though the song was in F#

I don't get how that "works"  :huh:

Depends. One of my songs is in the key of E minor & in the pre-chorus, the chord pattern is B-C-D-D#. The D# just acts as a chromatic to bridge the two together while also giving off a dissonant/heavy sound.

Edit: Oh, you meant that he played the whole song in the wrong key? Yeah, nevermind, that definitely doesn't work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:17:04 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
It works just as well as "sympathy," as that doesn't rhyme with anything either, and it doesn't have to. "Bay" rhymes with "day," that's it. Also, don't let your silly bassist ruin the expression, since what he did definitely didn't "work."

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Evai

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2017, 01:51:21 AM »
But sympathy is a much more natural fit because it does rhyme :) He uses an ay vowel, which fits with the ay vowels in day and bay
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:49 AM »
But sympathy is a much more natural fit because it does rhyme :) He uses an ay vowel, which fits with the ay vowels in day and bay
Not really. It's a pseudo-rhyme at best ("ee" and "ay," even though James does play around with it bit, like you said). Whether it rhymes or not is not really relevant anyway. Lyrics don't have to rhyme, they just need to have the right flow, accent, percussive value, etc. In this regard "mercy fuck" works just as fine. If MP wanted it to rhyme, he would have made it rhyme perfectly (like he made "day" rhyme with "day" so many times in The Best of Times).

If you look at the entire section:
I'm sick of all
You hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day

Seasons change
and so can I
Hold on Boy
No time to cry
Untie these strings
I'm climbing down
I won't let them push me away

Most of it doesn't rhyme, only the parts in bold are clear rhymes. Regardless, you can argue that "sympathy" fits better for many reasons, and I'd probably agree, but rhyming isn't one of those reasons.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »
I'm more surprised that JP wrote "holy fucking shit." Swearing seems rather uncharacteristic for JP to me. Maybe that's a sign this is gonna be really good after all  :lol
Nah, he swears. https://youtu.be/vHVILKOCsfo?t=3m12s
He just did it again! https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/posts/1644008745651131:0

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »
I'm more surprised that JP wrote "holy fucking shit." Swearing seems rather uncharacteristic for JP to me. Maybe that's a sign this is gonna be really good after all  :lol
He just did it again! https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/posts/1644008745651131:0

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
That reminds me of those good ol' JR videos of stores that featured candies like breik and daim.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2017, 06:40:52 AM »

He does, indeed :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQrustGJq4
Don't forget about "wish I weren't so fucked" :D
Regarding that line, I remember JLB saying in Lifting Shadows about A Change of Seasons that he wasn't comfortable with the original "I don't need your mercy fuck" line, because he felt like DT isn't the type of band that swears, so they changed it to "sympathy." They had a bit of an argument over the whole thing. Fast forward a few years, and we got As I Am.

Haven't read the book in a long time but my recollection was that Prater was strongly against that line as well.  I'm very glad MP was outvoted here as it would've made me cringe every time I heard the song, not because I have a problem with swearing, just because it's an awful line imo.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
In the context of the song, that "fuck" line in ACoS doesn't work. I read it as "I don't need your mercy. For fucks sake." "Sympathy" just fits better overall.

In As I Am, "Fuck" fits due to the context of the song. Its an all out agressive middle finger song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
He sings "I wish I weren't so fat" anyway  :lol

So, on topic: an except from the Prologue of the book!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dream-theater/the-astonishing-by-peter-orullian-prologue-preview/10154769333897181/
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »
He sings "I wish I weren't so fat" anyway  :lol
It would be fantastic if he did.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #223 on: October 04, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dream-theater/the-astonishing-by-peter-orullian-prologue-preview/10154769333897181/

I like the content.  But I hope it hasn't gone through final editing yet.  Typos detract a bit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
Is it really going to have breaks like that? I hope not. It looks like fan fiction that way. I'm still planning on reading it and I'm excited, but that price (looks like it's $75!! I don't see a cheaper option, just the one) is really off putting.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #225 on: October 04, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
That was nice. Good prologue on Evangeline and the Birth of Xander. Its going to be a great read.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #226 on: October 04, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »

I like the content.  But I hope it hasn't gone through final editing yet.  Typos detract a bit.
Hasn't been through any editing yet, I think. It was only a few days ago he said his first draft was finished.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »

Hasn't been through any editing yet, I think. It was only a few days ago he said his first draft was finished.

Oh, okay, good.  Wouldn't want anyone to have egg on their face for typing "yolk" instead of "yoke."

See what I did there?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »
That reminds me of those good ol' JR videos of stores that featured candies like breik and daim.  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aMH9BstBg
&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6t4KauxgSg

I really miss JR videos. He did them during the Black Clouds and Silver Linings album sessions and almost everyday on tour and had fun clips like this. A lot of them feature the band going out to dinner and hanging out at the airports, which is cool and sad at the same time because apparently they weren't hanging out as a band a lot. The clips from that tour are awesome though and had some fun lighthearted moments like MP eating McDonald's at the airport and giving his review of the Quarter pounder he just ate as well as a breakdown of JP's and JR's sandwiches, just a random moment on tour captured and posted forever.

I wish JR would do those short studio updates for the next album as well.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #229 on: October 05, 2017, 12:35:16 AM »
I didn't really enjoy the writing style of that. Too many really short sentences that broke the flow for me. Also, being the start of the book, the exposition felt a bit too blunt, but I'm sure that would improve as the book gets further in.
Not that I'd judge a whole book on a brief unedited intro, although I wasn't planning on getting the book anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #230 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »
Didn't find the writing very good. It was just very plain and ordinary. Feels like something you'd get as an assignment from college freshman.

Maybe it's just not for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »
I have to agree about the writing. I do like fantasy novels, but I didn't particularly like the "choppy" style of it. I haven't read any of his other stuff to say whether that's his typical style or not.

Still, it's a draft, and perhaps the style of the prologue will be different than the rest of the book.

I'll still give it a chance when it comes out in a cheaper format.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #232 on: October 05, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
I don't mind the writing style, I found it to be interesting. I'll definitely be checking this out.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
I enjoyed reading that intro, i liked the writing style. I hope ir gets released in a cheaper formar. There's no way I can afford it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #234 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
It's like listening to a demo. I'm sure it'll be more readable in the final print.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy it. What's funny too, as I read it again, Ravenskill came up on shuffle.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
I enjoyed this first chapter and the fact that we had the opportunity to "meet" Evangeline for a while... Maybe there will be some flashbacks to know better this character... It'd be nice!!!
The sensation was more or less like when you watch a movie and then after read the book.
It's a bit strange cause you know what's going to happen and I think this aspect won't let the reader, or at least me, enjoy it at 100%...
Anyway, I'm pretty excited and I'll probably buy it!!! A cheaper version of course!!!  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
I guess no one else but me wants those unused song demos.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »

Me me me me me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

Me me me me me.

Seconded
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »

Me me me me me.

Seconded

Plus, one Astonishing song progress, from Iphone demo to finished product. I don't really need the poster again. I'll have 3 including the one with this book.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »

Me me me me me.

Seconded

Plus, one Astonishing song progress, from Iphone demo to finished product. I don't really need the poster again. I'll have 3 including the one with this book.

I'll take one or two off your hands  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

Me me me me me.

Seconded

I'll take one or two off your hands  :biggrin:

Its weird actually. Got one when they relased the vinyl of the boxset and then another one when they released the actual boxset. So I got two maps and two cds of The Astonishing

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »

Yeah, the sole reason I bought the book. I'll probably read it, but I really wanted the exclusive music.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »
The cover of the novel is up on the DT facebook page:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
Lots of people have been ripping this thing on Facebook since it was first announced. It's pretty sad to me honestly. God forbid a band put out a novel to accompany their 2-disc concept album with its own world and characters. Fuckin' rubes.