Author Topic: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???  (Read 43884 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2016, 04:25:05 PM »
I have never written a book, what's the timescale at which the process operates? From the announcement I got the feeling that the project only began somewhat recently. Are we looking at a year from now?

He sent JP a Saviour In The Square sample chapter, so that's basically one done already, and he's likely giving his full attention and writing as we speak. The cool thing is he's dedicated and a DT fan.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jester

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
I think rumborak wanted that question to go to the author per the request in the thread.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2016, 04:49:07 PM »
Actually, no :lol Interviews rarely give any new information, so my question was more into the general DTF round.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »
I have never written a book, what's the timescale at which the process operates? From the announcement I got the feeling that the project only began somewhat recently. Are we looking at a year from now?

Unless you're name is George RR Martin, it shouldn't take that long. Authors can write books in a few months.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2016, 12:04:52 AM »

Unless you're name is George RR Martin, it shouldn't take that long. Authors can write books in a few months.
But there's still the process of editing, refining and then actually publishing, so a year is probably not a bad bet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2016, 01:03:55 AM »
I concur. Though I was just referring to the writing itself. All of the ancillary details that come after the author is finished is probably what slows down the process.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2016, 01:17:23 AM »
His blog post makes it sound like he has been involved with this project for most of the year, so I'd imagine most of the writing, if not all of it, is already finished. Now is probably the editing process and prepping for production and distribution

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »
https://orullian.com/testpress/uncategorized/im-writing-for-dream-theater/

That link has got me interested, I have to admit. It sounds like he's got free reign to introduce his own characters and locations, which should give the story some extra depth. Though I really hope they do an e-book release, because I can't see myself spending $75 on it.

BTW - Has anyone read any of the books the author mentions - Trial of Intentions or The Sound of Broken Absolutes?? I'm interested to hear about this "music magic system"..

Hey guys, we're going to interview Peter Orullian, some day, so if you want to ask him something directly, please write your questions in this thread ;)

My question would be: Are we going to get some backstory around Nafaryus? Maybe how he came to power, or his journey from "Bug" to hating and suppressing music, and the introduction of the NOMACs?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2016, 04:30:35 AM »
I'm not a fan of TA. The reason behind it could be the story but well, book sounds interesting with new characters and places. I'll sure read it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
That link has got me interested, I have to admit. It sounds like he's got free reign to introduce his own characters and locations, which should give the story some extra depth.

I'm more in the hope that he creates new plot that ties together the rather disparate elements of the current TA story. As of right now, I think TA has too many character for the amount of plot they appear in.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »
That link has got me interested, I have to admit. It sounds like he's got free reign to introduce his own characters and locations, which should give the story some extra depth.

I'm more in the hope that he creates new plot that ties together the rather disparate elements of the current TA story. As of right now, I think TA has too many character for the amount of plot they appear in.

Even for the length of The Astonishing as an album, the story/lyrics would only amount to a few pages of text. It doesn't look like there's a finalized length for the novel yet, but we're probably talking a factor of 100:1 between novel and the album lyrics, and it won't be presented as 95% dialogue. Not to mention he's a professional writer. There will have to be a lot of extra material to expand this into a full novel.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:01:23 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2016, 09:08:11 AM »
Yeah for a novel, TA the album has a pretty small number of characters. Should be very easy to expand and develop.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »
 The Astonishing is almost like Dream Theater's answer to Clockwork Angels. Both epic concept albums with a novel to follow..  Both albums are very addictive imho! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
The Astonishing is almost like Dream Theater's answer to Clockwork Angels. Both epic concept albums with a novel to follow..  Both albums are very addictive imho! 

I have a feeling that they will run very different paths. Rush came out at the end of their career, wrote their first full concept album and really shocked everyone with how good it was. Among casual and die-hard fans it seemed to go over very well. The book was by an author I love, but frankly Kevin J. Anderson has done much better than the Clockwork Angels novel. It had far too many song/lyric reference/puns, that were good for awhile, but then just continued to get forced. The story was alright, but nothing spectacular. In general the book was a big step down from the album.

For Dream Theater, if Petrucci lets this guy do his job properly I think the novel can stand to do alright. Frankly I hope it diverts from the album in some key ways, which would really allow it to be much better from a story perspective. While I don't know if I'll have the interest to get the initial run, I'm sure I'll read the book eventually, and I expect it will be better than the album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »
Releasing a book is not overkill but if they do another US tour and have any more than 1 or 2 Astonishing songs in the set, THAT will be overkill.

If I notice in posted set lists that they are playing more than two TA songs, I will have to skip that tour also.  I only make 12 bux an hour. Tickets are expensive.  I don't want to pay to see what I consider garbage below the very high standard DT has set.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
Releasing a book is not overkill but if they do another US tour and have any more than 1 or 2 Astonishing songs in the set, THAT will be overkill.

If I notice in posted set lists that they are playing more than two TA songs, I will have to skip that tour also.  I only make 12 bux an hour. Tickets are expensive.  I don't want to pay to see what I consider garbage below the very high standard DT has set.

What if they played Never Enough and Prophets of War instead?  (both songs I like btw and PoW was awesome live)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »

That's harsh, TA has alot of very good songs that are great to see live!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »

There have been several warnings about bashing the band and the album.  While you are entitled to like/dislike what you see fit, you are not entitled to refer to material you do not like as "garbage" on this site.  Consider this a warning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »

Agree!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »

Agree!

Also agree.  There are certainly a number of songs I would love to see again outside of TA as a whole.  I recall The Gift of Music being a pretty big hit when it was released as the single before the album.  People wouldn't want to see that song mixed into a full DT set?  Or what about A New Beginning?  That sounds like an awesome closer for the future of DT sets IMO.  And of course, my favorite, Chosen would be a nice mid set ballad for the band. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »
I agree that Chosen should be a staple in future setlists, along with The Gift of Music and Moment Of Betrayal.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2016, 11:28:23 AM »

There have been several warnings about bashing the band and the album.  While you are entitled to like/dislike what you see fit, you are not entitled to refer to material you do not like as "garbage" on this site.  Consider this a warning.

Ummm.  OK.   I am a bit perplexed.   First, I don't come to this site daily. I've never seen any warnings about not bashing an album.  I dislike TA very strongly and would like to express my opinion of it.  I used no vulgarity. I don't even think it was disrespectful.  wow.

I've seen DT over 20 times starting in 1992.  JP was the guitar teacher of one of my best friends. I saw DT, Derek and MP play the secret show as  "Ethyl Mertz"  I've been a fan since the Sundance days.  I just think TA was so so incredibly beneath their standards. 

I am actually shocked that I would be some sort of "warning" for that.  I did not attack another person posting and I used no vulgarity.  Maybe this is the dystopia from The Astonishing.

The word that comes to mind is  "astonished."  I can say that it was a great album if that will get my "warning" removed.    At least "Queensryche's  "The Warning" was great . . .
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
Let me clarify also by saying that while I dislike the album greatly as a whole, there are obviously good moments and sections.  It would be irrational to dislike every second of an album by one of my favorite bands.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »

The word that comes to mind is  "astonished."  I can say that it was a great album if that will get my "warning" removed.    At least "Queensryche's  "The Warning" was great . . .
[/quote]

The warning was about calling it garbage, that's a bit of a low blow to such a huge accomplshment by the band. You are entitled to your opinion, he was just telling you to season your words a little bit, lol!
 That's great you got to see a secret DT show disguised under a different name.  :tup
Btw, Queensryche "the Warning" is a good album. Take Hold of the Flame is a highlight. Operation Mindcrime outshines it, so does DT's The Astonishing..
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:10:33 PM by Architeuthis »

• No Day But Today
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
Architeuthis,   the Ethyl Mertz show was a just them playing covers, but it was still a great fun  night at a small bar.  Either 1996 or 1997 if I remember.  Got to hang for a bit.    My keyboardist got to set up  a few lessons with Derek.    Fun stuff.     I remember looking at the set list and seeing "Fire"  and thought "Great, a cool Hendrix song,"  but it was the Bruce Springsteen / Pointer Sisters song   :-)

As for my language, I will be more careful about how I express my disdain for a particular album - just find the whole situation a bit odd.   

I remember the anticipation I had about a new DT album, like I usually do. Then the incredible disappointment I felt right away upon listening to it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
Architeuthis,   the Ethyl Mertz show was a just them playing covers, but it was still a great fun  night at a small bar.  Either 1996 or 1997 if I remember.  Got to hang for a bit.    My keyboardist got to set up  a few lessons with Derek.    Fun stuff.     I remember looking at the set list and seeing "Fire"  and thought "Great, a cool Hendrix song,"  but it was the Bruce Springsteen / Pointer Sisters song   :-)

As for my language, I will be more careful about how I express my disdain for a particular album - just find the whole situation a bit odd.   

I remember the anticipation I had about a new DT album, like I usually do. Then the incredible disappointment I felt right away upon listening to it.
That must have been a cool experience, even seeing them do covers. DT has always done a great job on cover songs.
  I also remember the anticipation of new releases. TA didn't click with me right away, but once it did I was hooked. A very different album from them, but they are proud of it and I admire the fact that they took a risk and did a 2 disc concept album!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »
One of our forum members asked Peter if the demos would be on a CD and he answered :
Quote from: Peter Orullian
Hi,

The demos of songs will be sent via secure link.

Hope you decide to get a copy, it’s going to be great!

Cheers,
Peter
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2016, 06:52:10 AM »
Great article by Peter Orullian about why you should listen to DT  ;D https://orullian.com/testpress/uncategorized/why-you-should-be-listening-to-dream-theater-writers-too/
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:18 AM »
One of our forum members asked Peter if the demos would be on a CD and he answered :
Quote from: Peter Orullian
Hi,

The demos of songs will be sent via secure link.

Hope you decide to get a copy, it’s going to be great!

Cheers,
Peter

That's disappointing. For $75 I figured they could press a CD.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2016, 08:17:46 AM »
Great article by Peter Orullian about why you should listen to DT  ;D https://orullian.com/testpress/uncategorized/why-you-should-be-listening-to-dream-theater-writers-too/

I think it's safe to say that he's definitely a DT fan!  :lol

I found this link to some excerpts of his stuff, for those interested in his writing style: https://www.tor.com/author/peter-orullian/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
I like his writing style, but he really needs to proof read his work.  Not to be nitpicky, but a professional writer shouldn't have that many typos in something he puts out to the public.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »
Agreed. But book authors tend to write very sloppy, and are cleaned up by editors. Trust me.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
Oh, I know.  I know.  That's why authors have editors and attorneys have secretaries. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
Hey guys, we're going to interview Peter Orullian, some day, so if you want to ask him something directly, please write your questions in this thread ;)

Quesion for Peter: Since you're a trained and very skilled vocalist, if DT invited you to perform on a live show and play one of the characters, which one would you like/choose to play?

Thank you, keyboard wizard ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon