Author Topic: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???  (Read 43899 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Not sure this has been linked anywhere else yet, but here's a statement on Orullian's site:

https://orullian.com/testpress/uncategorized/im-writing-for-dream-theater/
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
It's promising that the author appears genuinely invested in this project, rather than the band hiring anyone to turn the story into a book.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
Not sure this has been linked anywhere else yet, but here's a statement on Orullian's site:

Honestly, after reading that, I might pre-order this... It sounds like it could be really, really cool.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
It's promising that the author appears genuinely invested in this project, rather than the band hiring anyone to turn the story into a book.

Yeah, I thought so too. That may have been what sold JP on the guy, vs an established, but ultimately indifferent, ghostwriter.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:24 AM »
I'm curious, by your definition, what stops something like Back to the Future being called hard scifi? There's nothing magical in there.
Er, the time-travel in a flying car? :lol Which, like The Astonishing, is a rather fundamental pillar of the whole story.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
That was a great read. I'll definitely be pre-ordering the limited edition.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
Peter is an extremely nice guy. He's also the lead singer for cult Seattle metal band Fifth Angel. James Labrie is one of his biggest influences. Really talented person as well. His books are engaging, if you are a sci-fi/fantasy person. This will be good.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »
In the scifi/fantasy question, I think it will definitely be more fantasy in the end. Orullian will have to explain

a) why Gabriel has "Jesus status" with his people
b) why music can have resurrection powers

That said, I would actually *love* if he shifted the story more towards a "technology vs spirit" battle. Back when they announced TA I was hoping that that what the story would be like. Particularly I was hoping for a musical showdown between machine and man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »
While the novel doesn't really interest me, it's hard to knock the band on this... since they aren't writing it.  Plus it sounds like some bonus music/demos is involved which is pretty awesome.

I guess if reviews came out and people said the story is pretty good then I'd pick up the novel, but that 75$ price point is pretty crazy if you ask me, unless there is truly a lot of bonus music involved.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
That said, I would actually *love* if he shifted the story more towards a "technology vs spirit" battle. Back when they announced TA I was hoping that that what the story would be like. Particularly I was hoping for a musical showdown between machine and man.

Ditto, it kind of became a little more of a Romeo and Juliet thing, but it would be cool to see more emphasis placed on the other aspects of the story that weren't able to be address in as much detail on the album.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
If you are not interested then ignore it. There may be some people that are interested in it.

True, but DT has generally done smart business things over the years.  They are a rare band that has, for the most part, kept a strong loyal fan base over a long period of time. This is a very difficult thing for a band to do as the years pass.

I can see a graphic novel, but a book?     The Astonishing - in the opinion of many (including me)  - is the words album put out by DT and they must be aware of that.   

They should get back in the studio as quickly as possible and put out a strong general album with input from more than just JP.   Put the Astonishing behind them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »

The Astonishing - in the opinion of many (including me)  - is the words album put out by DT and they must be aware of that.   

Good call, it definitely has a lot of words. Lyrics aplenty for 34 tracks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »

Ditto, it kind of became a little more of a Romeo and Juliet thing, but it would be cool to see more emphasis placed on the other aspects of the story that weren't able to be address in as much detail on the album.

It's too bad that Arhys was killed as part of the story, since that kinda negates the ability to have an "unmentioned-yet" battle of the militia. Otherwise they could have moved into an LOTR type of plot, where Gabriel's revival of Faythe could have caused a key shift in the battle of Arhys against the NOMACS. (like Frodo shifting the battle at the gates of Mordor)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
It's too bad that Arhys was killed as part of the story, since that kinda negates the ability to have an "unmentioned-yet" battle of the militia. Otherwise they could have moved into an LOTR type of plot, where Gabriel's revival of Faythe could have caused a key shift in the battle of Arhys against the NOMACS. (like Frodo shifting the battle at the gates of Mordor)

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the story is expanded though, I'll be curious to see what they choose to dive into more. I think the actual conflict between the Empire and the rebels (which obviously represents in some ways the music vs. technology that you mentioned) would be great to explore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »

Very cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
Just looking at the link itself, I hope I didn't share something that wasn't ready for dissemination yet :lol

(in my defense, Google Now suggested the link to me this morning; it must have scrubbed the site)

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »
If it's very cheap, MAYBE. But the story of the Astonishing really wasn't all that interesting.

Also should've hired Brandon Sanderson to write it, he'd have gotten this done in under a week  :P

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »
Nonsense. Dan Brown! (Only so we can see TempusVox explode :D )

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
For people wondering, it looks like it's $75 and a limited run.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 11:00:53 AM »
We get it.  You aren't the target audience.

FFS

So it's OK to have a place where people drone on and on about how much they love it, but those of us who don't care for it have to keep quiet and aren't allowed to voice our displeasure?  Got it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »

FFS

So it's OK to have a place where people drone on and on about how much they love it, but those of us who don't care for it have to keep quiet and aren't allowed to voice our displeasure?  Got it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
Maybe people like reading positive thoughts on a subject rather than negative. Just a thought.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »

FFS

If you think those two extremes are the only available options, they you really haven't spent much time figuring out what this place is about.  As the forum rules state, you (and anyone else who posts here) are welcome to voice your dislikes and critiques, provided that doing so is done constructively and with tact.  First and foremost, this is a discussion forum and a fan site.  So posts that either cannot provide for meaningful discussion or that bash the band do not further the purpose of this place.  Saying things like "Just let the damn thing die already," or telling the band that they "need" to move on, aren't in any way constructive.  There are much better ways to state your opinion without alienating the fan base here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »

FFS

You totally miss the point by playing the victim. Because, as of late, the negative posts far overshadow the positive ones, so much so that's it's become boring.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
Hey guys, we're going to interview Peter Orullian, some day, so if you want to ask him something directly, please write your questions in this thread ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Jester

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
Hey guys, we're going to interview Peter Orullian, some day, so if you want to ask him something directly, please write your questions in this thread ;)

Does Petrucci have veto power over new ideas and tangents that add or even alter the original story?  How does that affect your writing?
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
What I love is how the only one in the thread having a negative reaction to the news was the OP.. When I read that first comment I was about to facepalm, but then my hand slowed down until entirely stopping its way to my forehead as I kept reading the rest of the comments..

Back on topic, I think it's great what they're doing; I'm really curious about these two particular items though:

*A few early music demos (often taken from original iPhone recordings) of original songs set in the universe of The Astonishing but never used on the album

*The genesis of one song: From early iPhone recording to final tune, listen to several song clips of the steps in the song writing process of one of the songs from The Astonishing
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

The Astonishing - in the opinion of many (including me)  - is the words album put out by DT and they must be aware of that.   

OK, OK . . .  I type fast when I am at work.  . . .    WORST . . . ok?    :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2016, 02:57:10 PM »

OK, OK . . .  I type fast when I am at work.  . . .    WORST . . . ok?    :-)

It doesn't make you any less wrong!  ;)  :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »
Releasing a book is not overkill but if they do another US tour and have any more than 1 or 2 Astonishing songs in the set, THAT will be overkill. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »
Releasing a book is not overkill but if they do another US tour and have any more than 1 or 2 Astonishing songs in the set, THAT will be overkill.

Totally disagree.  I would expect, and kind of hope, they keep a nice little suite (~15 minutes) of TA tunes on the next tour.  I don't think it was overkill when DT performed two ADTOE tracks on the DT12 tour (two songs they played every single night on both tours).  It's normal for bands to continue to play the newest tracks. 

And personally, I kind of would like to see some songs from TA outside of the entire TA.  Like sprinkled into a more traditional DT set.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »

And personally, I kind of would like to see some songs from TA outside of the entire TA.  Like sprinkled into a more traditional DT set.

Absolutely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
There will be.  Not a ton (I can't remember the exact count), but more than 2 for sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
As a person who enjoys reading, I am looking forward to the book. I won't get the pre-order (75 bucks?!), but I do plan on picking it up once released. I haven't spent a lot of time with The Astonishing record (it hasn't grabbed me), but I think the book will help me connect with the record more. And I am a fan of the author, so that helps. Excellent news.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »
I have never written a book, what's the timescale at which the process operates? From the announcement I got the feeling that the project only began somewhat recently. Are we looking at a year from now?