Author Topic: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???  (Read 43920 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
I think the original CD album would have been a better option as far as the book cover goes. The yellow text is really distracting at least for me.

Hope they release it in Kindle Ebook format.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
Lots of people have been ripping this thing on Facebook since it was first announced. It's pretty sad to me honestly. God forbid a band put out a novel to accompany their 2-disc concept album with its own world and characters. Fuckin' rubes.

I agree. I took a quick look at some of the comments and quickly backed out of it. People going out of their way to write something like. "Yawn, yet another Dream Theater product to ignore". Why even waste your time writing that? If you're not interested, just move along. There's plenty of things I'm not interested in, but I don't seek them out and write FB posts telling the world how not interested I am in them.  :\

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »
 I love this and would love to get it.  Lots of extras.

How about this scenario:  Someone who knows nothing about DT picks up the book because they're into Sci-Fi.  They read it and think it's a pretty decent book.  Then later discover that there is a concept album for it.  They buy the CDs.  Are they more or less likely to like the album?

I would think, yes.  But I already like TA.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
Lots of people have been ripping this thing on Facebook since it was first announced. It's pretty sad to me honestly. God forbid a band put out a novel to accompany their 2-disc concept album with its own world and characters. Fuckin' rubes.

I agree. I took a quick look at some of the comments and quickly backed out of it. People going out of their way to write something like. "Yawn, yet another Dream Theater product to ignore". Why even waste your time writing that? If you're not interested, just move along. There's plenty of things I'm not interested in, but I don't seek them out and write FB posts telling the world how not interested I am in them.  :\

Bingo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »
Depends on wether they like this kind of music I guess. The love for a book alone won't make me appreciate an album about it if the musical style of the album simply isn't within my tastes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

People have a right to their opinions and the expression of those opinions.  Just like you're expressing your opinions now.  They didn't seek anything out.  It's all right there in front of them and they respond.  That's what social media does.  So, basically there really is only just a difference in opinion.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
Nobody is talking about rights.  The fact that people have the right to be rude pricks doesn't make any of them less of a rude prick.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
Man, I've received similar comments on Facebook (on Dream Theater threads). The whole, "They have a right to express their dislike. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything!"

Well, no, but you don't have to comment on the band's promotion telling them, "Get on with this shite," "Fuck this awful book and get back to making good music (ie music I PERSONALLY enjoy)" etc. It's sad.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
While I wasn't much of a fan of The Astonishing (and the debacle that came with the Super Deluxe edition with the NOMAC) I'd love to own this book from a completists point of view, but not at $75 bucks. I realize it's limited and probably VERY HIGH QUALITY.. but they already milked me for $200 on The Astonishing box set.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
That cover looks amazing. Makes me think the book is gonna be more of the war and conflicts.

I don't care about comments because why should I care. At least DT aren't deleting the negative posts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #255 on: October 10, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
On the YouTube clip of The Gift of Music, one of the top comments is "No one hates Dream Theater more than Dream Theater fans." That's pretty funny.

On the other hand, I think all these negative comments (the one calling the album "shite" is the top rated one, with 183 likes as of right now) further prove thar TA is one of DT's most controversial albums (if not the). A disproportionately large part of the fanbase dislikes it. I think this will have an effect on the next album.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #256 on: October 10, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
It's hard for me to read comments that rude when everything done by this band on this (TA) seems so pure and experimental. An approach I do like and in some way expect from DT. I dont want another Metropolis or Images, enough bands copying themselfs like that. In someway all this worries me about the new album becoming a fanpleaser like the 25th I&W anniversery tour was already....sorry for my  moody sense on this...

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #257 on: October 11, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Nobody is talking about rights.  The fact that people have the right to be rude pricks doesn't make any of them less of a rude prick.

Yeah right, and I'm sure that name calling isn't held in very high regard either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: October 11, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »

Yeah right, and I'm sure that name calling isn't held in very high regard either.

I don't think those people (the ones demanding the band 'fuck off with this shit') care much.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #259 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
That's not the point.  I wasn't referring to them.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »
What I find interesting is how most of those people claim MP is DT, yet DT allows those comments. Yet, MP goes and deletes those same kinds of comments about his band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
What I find interesting is how most of those people claim MP is DT, yet DT allows those comments. Yet, MP goes and deletes those same kinds of comments about his band.

I was going to note this aswell. Neither JP or the other guys are deleting or responding to the comments.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
On the YouTube clip of The Gift of Music, one of the top comments is "No one hates Dream Theater more than Dream Theater fans." That's pretty funny.

On the other hand, I think all these negative comments (the one calling the album "shite" is the top rated one, with 183 likes as of right now) further prove thar TA is one of DT's most controversial albums (if not the). A disproportionately large part of the fanbase dislikes it. I think this will have an effect on the next album.

The Rude comments are disappointing so I guess if ever the band makes a new album that these rude people like I can say that this type of music is loved by rude people?

I don't think that way but kinda makes me pause for a while and think if the next "fan pleaser album" is really  good because a bunch of bad and rude people want that type of music instead of the one in astonishing.
And she listens openly

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
Fans of The Astonishing will become rude, "After such a daring album you made a predictable one"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
Fans of The Astonishing will become rude, "After such a daring album you made a predictable one"  :lol

Would be hilarious.  :lol :rollin
And she listens openly

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
I'm so excited for the book. Its really crazy how the NOMACS use sound to succumb the people outside TGNE.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: December 31, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
I just randomly remembered this. Wasn't the release date said to be  the holidays 2017? I checked Peter Orullian's Facebook page, but he entirely stopped mentioning the book and just talks about his own band and album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #267 on: December 31, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »
The last email update I got said they just got the print of it and the band approved of it and need some final things for the special edition.

So basically :soon:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:28:41 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2017, 04:27:01 PM »
Not related to the novel, but I recently discovered that Peter apparently is an old-school DT fan who was a part of the Ytsejam Mailing List back in the day (the method DT fans used to communicate with each other, before the online forums became commonplace). Anyhoo, here's a link to his first post to the list, focused on JL's vocals:
https://interzone.com/Music/Ytsejam/1995/Dec/0004.html
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2018, 10:17:14 AM »

Interesting question, does the switch of DT from RR to IO affect this? I somehow don't see a book release being in a record label's duties, but if it were I'm sure RR would have little desire continuing anything DT related.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »

Interesting question, does the switch of DT from RR to IO affect this? I somehow don't see a book release being in a record label's duties, but if it were I'm sure RR would have little desire continuing anything DT related.

Nah. Its the special things in the special edition that is what they're waiting for. According to the update, but I'm hoping by the month or 2.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
So this still isn't out yet? Anybody haven't heard demo versions?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2018, 07:31:28 AM »
Man, I've received similar comments on Facebook (on Dream Theater threads). The whole, "They have a right to express their dislike. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything!"

Well, no, but you don't have to comment on the band's promotion telling them, "Get on with this shite," "Fuck this awful book and get back to making good music (ie music I PERSONALLY enjoy)" etc. It's sad.

Fans do have a right to express their dislike for things and, if people read this book and think it's rubbish, then I've got no issue with them saying so.  The book isn't even out yet though so no reason for anyone to like or dislike it.  If you're excited about the book and additional materials and want to talk about it then cool.  If you're not interested and have no intention of reading it then why even get involved in the discussion just to say something rude and negative?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »
Yeah, it's fine to not like something, and even to say why, but the way people just shat on things with rage and abuse which does nothing but possibly turn people off is just rude and inconsiderate.

Offline Evai

« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2018, 03:45:28 AM »
But it's inconsiderate for a band I like to release an album I don't like.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2018, 10:42:33 PM »
It's inconsiderate to think the band is only there to make you happy and nobody else... certainly not themselves, they definitely can't be happy as long as it makes Jonny happy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
Possible hot take and I don't give a hoot: The Astonishing is better (and less corny) than SFAM. Fight me. I can take you.   :hat

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »
Possible hot take and I don't give a hoot: The Astonishing is better (and less corny) than SFAM. Fight me. I can take you.   :hat
I agree!    :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »
I did a quick search there to see if there's any word of this being released. On Peter's facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/orullianpage/ there's a photo of him with JP 5 days ago. Someone commented to ask when the book's coming out and he responded with:

Novel is in layout. Should be done early next week. Then off to the printer. We're getting very close.

So hopefully we'll hear some official news soon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #279 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »

:lol  I strongly disagree.  But at the end of the day, you'll get no fight from me, as they're both amazing albums that are plenty worthy of adoration.  :tup

I did a quick search there to see if there's any word of this being released. On Peter's facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/orullianpage/ there's a photo of him with JP 5 days ago. Someone commented to ask when the book's coming out and he responded with:

Novel is in layout. Should be done early next week. Then off to the printer. We're getting very close.

So hopefully we'll hear some official news soon.

Very cool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."