Author Topic: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???  (Read 43892 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« on: November 28, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »
Just let the damn thing die already.  I know there's enough polarization in the positive that to say it was a failure isn't accurate, but it certainly wasn't the home run they were hoping for.  They need to just cut their losses and move on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:47:59 PM »
If you are not interested then ignore it. There may be some people that are interested in it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:49:08 PM »
One of my friends (a diehard fan who even has DT tattoos) made a good point: "There's the lyrics book AND the expanded story available already."

So this is really just overkill.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »
Did you even read the description. They're adding more characters, likely places as well. Also, the plot differences could be more towards the new characters. And also, demoes of unused songs.

That's what I'm looking forward to checking out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
I'm really curious to see what they add. I'm generally not into sci-fi at all, but I'm keeping an open mind about this.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »
I don't really see it as overkill. They have this huge world in which we only visit 3 places throughout the entire album. I remember feeling letdown when we didn't get to see more of the map so I'm excited to see it flesh out a bit more.

Some people like the album and are excited, others aren't. That's life
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:44:42 PM »
Yup a big vast of the map hasn't been mentioned. Yorkeland, New Anglya.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it really cool/interesing that the author is actually a prog metal singer as well? It got me by surprise in a good way   ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »
The novel (plus the hinted bonus material) seem pretty cool to me.  I think we fans are lucky to experience the creative spirit of DT in so many unique ways, crossing over in alternative media.  Video games, books, etc. -- pretty bold for a band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
Did it already sell out? I was gonna buy a copy when I got home from work  :sadpanda:

Never mind, it wasn't redirecting me when I added it to my cart. Turns out, I added 13 copies to my cart.  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »
I'm really curious to see what they add. I'm generally not into sci-fi at all, but I'm keeping an open mind about this.

I'd call it more fantasy than scifi anyway. I mean, the magical power of music healing the dying?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »

I'd call it more fantasy than scifi anyway. I mean, the magical power of music healing the dying?

Yea, there's nothing sci-fi about this unless you consider the no-macs to be sc-fi.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pcs90

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
The most interesting thing to me is the bonus audio content.

Offline Adami

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »

I think a really in-depth making of DVD for the album would have been amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 11:38:23 PM »
I never get a chance to do this....so can I just say...

I KNOW THIS GUY!!!!!!!

I met him at Emerald City Comicon in 2015, and I interviewed him for Jammin Dudes Neighborhood in 2016.   

His books are fantastic.  It was purely by accident that I met him, and we hit it off talking about music.....and to be honest, when he first told me he was a writer, I had my doubts.   (Yeah right, I thought)

But then I took home his book, and I could not put it down.   Its one of the best fantasy novels Ive ever read, and Ive pimped it in the What Are You Reading Now thread before. 

This is my interview with him at Comic Con last year.

https://youtu.be/jAM-4n5iE5U

My first mention was on my "Support Your Local Artist" rant at the 7 min mark of this episode.

https://youtu.be/TGdU3eDG1Zk

This guy is one of the best writers Ive ever read...and just a seriously nice guy.   

BUY HIS BOOKS!!!  They are awesome!!!

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 12:06:04 AM »
As soon as I saw the post on DT's facebook about it, I knew I was going to open the comment section to see comments of my fellow hispanicmen throwing shit at it, and I wasn't disappointed.

Hell, they've literally been whining about it since it came out and it's just going to be a year.

I don't see TA stopping DT from writing anything, they're just not done fleshing it and it's their way, why are the social media people just so fucking insistent on that?

And I'm sick of people literally begging to bring Portnoy back, what kind of audience does DT have anyway? I'm a fan of another group in similar situation and with comparable (if not higher) fame than DT and they're not even close to having such a toxic social media.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pcs90

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 12:16:29 AM »

I think a really in-depth making of DVD for the album would have been amazing.
I agree. This would be the perfect album for that kind of thing. Not sure if they even filmed all the writing sessions though, I'm sure there is at least audio? I know MP recorded everything while he was in the band, but not sure how that works now.

Either way, I'm curious how this all turns out. I love TA, even after all this time it's easily one of my favorite DT albums. I feel the book would actually make a much better story, as there is much more room for detail, but at the same time the main reason I loved the album so much was the music and overall atmosphere, plus James sounded amazing on it IMO. The book just can't have the same effect because, well, there is no sound.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 12:44:32 AM »
75 bucks.... :(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »

Yea, there's nothing sci-fi about this unless you consider the no-macs to be sc-fi.

Futuristic technology is generally associated with sci-fi and not fantasy.

Offline Adami

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »

Futuristic technology is generally associated with sci-fi and not fantasy.

Meh. Not enough. Being set in the future doesn't make it sci-fi to me, especially since the no-macs themselves are the only futuristic element to it and they're just used as plot devices and the science of it all isn't important. I also don't really consider the new Star Trek movies to really be sci fi either.

I'm not insulting it. It doesn't have to be sci-fi. Most great literature wasn't sci-fi. I wouldn't even consider the Battlestar Galactica reboot to really be sci-fi and it's one of my favorite shows.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:08 AM »
That's one of the contrasts between science fiction and fantasy. Plus, dystopian fiction is not really considered fantasy. It's similar, but dystopian fiction is usually categorized under science fiction because of the time period in which it takes place.

Offline Adami

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 12:57:05 AM »
That's one of the contrasts between science fiction and fantasy. Plus, dystopian fiction is not really considered fantasy. It's similar, but dystopian fiction is usually categorized under science fiction because of the time period in which it takes place.

Sure. But if you removed the nomacs and replaced them with anything else, no one would have a clue when this story takes place. The only reason we know it's a dystopian future is because we were told.

In the end though, it doesn't matter in the slightest hahaha. Still not a fan of the story, whether it's sci-fi-, fantasy, noir crime or erotica.

Maybe if it were all four....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 12:58:28 AM »
Sure. Maybe we can have Gandalf show up and tell the NOMAC it cannot pass.  ;)

Offline Jester

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 02:45:42 AM »
You guys are making this too hard.

Describe your favorite scene.

If you sound like a nerd, it is sci-fi.
If you sound like a geek, it is fantasy.
If you sound like a freak, it is horror.
If it sounds like gossip, it is drama.
If it sounds like a love note, it is ro ..... action (or WWE)
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 02:47:39 AM »
Adami covered most of my thoughts.
It's much closer to a fantasy world than scifi, with LOTR and GOT even being mentioned specifically as strong influences. The NOMACS are apparently technological, but if it weren't for seeing the album art, it would be irrelevant, it could be a magical orb for all it matters to the plot. They're barely even mentioned.
Fantasy often includes a technological element, especially in the overlap between the genres/subgenres. It's not black and white there. Dystopian settings also aren't exclusive to scifi, even though it's a commonly used trope in the genre.

The novel will very likely expand on many of the elements that are currently stopping it from being scifi, such as the backstory of the world, and the way the technology (including the NOMACS) has incorporated into the world, but then the ending with magically reviving the dying with music would negate that for me. It's idealistic fantasy, and isn't compatible with the rest being presented as a scifi story as an extrapolation of our world. You could argue it's an alternate world where magical music works, but then we've come full circle back to fantasy again.

As Adami pointed out, the matter of classification isn't meant as an insult or judgement, just calling it for what it is. I basically do nothing but watch fantasy and scifi all day, so it's all good! :lol But I'm also very aware of this stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 03:06:48 AM »
Is this like one of those all sci fi is fantasy but not all fantasy is sci fi type things?  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 03:44:16 AM »
Adami covered most of my thoughts.
It's much closer to a fantasy world than scifi, with LOTR and GOT even being mentioned specifically as strong influences. The NOMACS are apparently technological, but if it weren't for seeing the album art, it would be irrelevant, it could be a magical orb for all it matters to the plot. They're barely even mentioned.
Fantasy often includes a technological element, especially in the overlap between the genres/subgenres. It's not black and white there. Dystopian settings also aren't exclusive to scifi, even though it's a commonly used trope in the genre.

The novel will very likely expand on many of the elements that are currently stopping it from being scifi, such as the backstory of the world, and the way the technology (including the NOMACS) has incorporated into the world, but then the ending with magically reviving the dying with music would negate that for me. It's idealistic fantasy, and isn't compatible with the rest being presented as a scifi story as an extrapolation of our world. You could argue it's an alternate world where magical music works, but then we've come full circle back to fantasy again.

As Adami pointed out, the matter of classification isn't meant as an insult or judgement, just calling it for what it is. I basically do nothing but watch fantasy and scifi all day, so it's all good! :lol But I'm also very aware of this stuff.
Interesting - I've never considered that sci-fi precludes anything magical or supernatural. Indeed, some of what I consider the best sci-fi has a certain spiritual element to it. What you're describing I would normally call hard sci-fi, i.e. super-realistic science concepts and no room for anything supernormal.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 05:22:54 AM »
Interesting - I've never considered that sci-fi precludes anything magical or supernatural. Indeed, some of what I consider the best sci-fi has a certain spiritual element to it. What you're describing I would normally call hard sci-fi, i.e. super-realistic science concepts and no room for anything supernormal.

Including some kind of spiritual/supernormal element is one thing, but healing the dying through the magical power of music as the culmination of the story's plot is fantasy by definition. A lot of scifi doesn't include anything supernatural at all, without being close to hard scifi. There's a huge area in between fantasy and hard scifi, and sure there can be overlap in the middle, but as the story of The Astonishing stands in its current form, it's a lot closer to fantasy than scifi. Given the importance of the fantasy element to the story, I would always classify it as fantasy, at least partially, even if the book expands greatly upon the scifi side.
I'm curious, by your definition, what stops something like Back to the Future being called hard scifi? There's nothing magical in there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 05:35:29 AM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 05:38:59 AM »
Heck, there's enough scope in what Petrucci's conceived for a trilogy of concept albums, let alone just one. I just love that DT is absolutely sticking to its guns with this, despite the mixed reception the album has received (unjustified imho; it's a masterpiece, end of.)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
I'd definitely be interested in reading this book. Maybe not $75 interested, but I'm assuming that will just be the first pressing with the bonus stuff, hopefully they will release a cheaper option as well.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »
Why don't they sell The Astonishing toys while they're at it  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 07:21:20 AM »
One of my friends (a diehard fan who even has DT tattoos) made a good point: "There's the lyrics book AND the expanded story available already."

So this is really just overkill.
We get it.  You aren't the target audience.

FFS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 07:37:31 AM »
If they decide to release a cheap Kindle version, I'll likely get that. The only other thing I'm interested in is the different phases of the song, but not $75 interested.

BTW, I'm not sure they do themselves a favor announcing all these things so early before release. When it then gets delayed (like the computer game), it becomes very visible in a negative way. In general, you want to announce things when you have a set release date and there's little chance you will not hit it. The way the book announcement made it sound, the guy only recently started on the project?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:44:41 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."