Author Topic: Sixx: A.M. Thread v. Prayers for the Blessed  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Sixx: A.M. Thread v. Prayers for the Blessed
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
So, who here has heard about this band?

From my top 50 album thread when talking about them.

If there was one band that I literally have never heard of before, but got into them due to my radio phase, this would be the band.  For bands like Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, and Breaking Benjamin, I already had an inkling of who they were, but prior to listening to a Sixx: A.M. track, I never heard of these guys before.

For those that do not know, Sixx: A.M. is a band that is, I guess was a side project (I guess it's the main project now?) of Motley Crue leader and bassist Nikki Sixx.  I believe he claimed in his book, also called "This Is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography, And Life Through The Distorted Lens Of Nikki Sixx," that this was one of those bands that was really founded and run through pretty unconventional means.  I don't think Sixx intended this band to be a "legit" band.  It was just him and a bunch of musical friends: lead vocalist James Michael (who's a producer, as well, namely of two albums from Papa Roach), and guitarist DJ Ashba (yes that Ashba that used to be in GNR, let the jokes commence) just trading ideas together out of the blue.  Then when Sixx wanted to do a soundtrack for another autobiography he wrote, The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star, he picked these guys to work with and before you know, they felt this sort of chemistry with each other and found really easy to write songs together and before you know, they decided to be a band.

Their albums are pretty solid for me.  The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack is a solid album, especially for people that wants a helping voice when fighting addictions, and it's a good way to show Sixx's drug ordeals in the late 80s, in a storytelling outlet, especially when he was actually declared dead for a moment.  This is Gonna Hurt, for me, is that great album that reminds me why I'm proud of listening to alternative metal/modern hard rock music.  Modern Vintage, on the other hand, represents the opposite where I have doubts over the direction of the band.  I felt that they were a bit too poppy, slick, uninspired, etc.

That stated, that perspective changed when I heard they were going to do two albums released this year.  Prayers for the Damned and Prayers for the Blessed.  Prayers for the Damned was solid enough.  Had some solid tracks and had some meh tracks.  Prayers for the Blessed though was absolutely incredible for me.  A Top Five album of the year for certain where I was proud to be a fan of Sixx: A.M.   It was one of those albums when I hear it and I am approaching near the end of it, I'm just like "I never want this to end."  Also, there were songs that I was like, "Ehhh, I'm not feeling it at the start of the song," it left a better impression to me as the songs continued on.  A great modern hard rock album.

Favorites so far: Barbarians (Prayers for the Blessed), We Will Not Go Quietly, Maybe It's Time, Suffocate, and Riot in My Head.

If you are a fan of modern hard rock/radio rock/alternative metal, then you might find this band enjoyable.  If you are not a fan of Motley Crue or Nikki Sixx's opinions regarding stuff, I still suggest listening to Sixx: A.M.  I don't care much for Motley Crue since I just don't care for their music and glam vibe, and their 80s destructive lifestyle, but Sixx: A.M. is so much different in the best way possible where they have so much substance in their music/lyrics that gets me thinking and being reflective about life.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:16:49 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sixx: A.M. Thread v. Prayers for the Blessed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »
Got the latest one (Blessed) and enjoyed it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »
I enjoyed the first record. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the rest. I have all of them, including Prayers for the Blessed. I like this one a bit more than the last couple, but not blown away. Everyone in the band is amazingly talented. But the eclectic blend of pop, rock, alternative, and metal, just doesn't always click with me.

Sorta like Queen. I find the bands to be similar in many ways. And while I like Queen, I'm not a huge fan. I just dig a bunch of songs. Same with Sixx AM. Good band, appreciate them, like a bunch of tunes. But not a band I'd go out of my way to see again (i saw them opening for Motley years ago). If it was a local show, and both my wife and I could go, I absolutely would (she is the bigger fan).

But I have to say...not a fan at all of the cover of Without You. Just doesn't do it for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:56:10 PM »
Only one I've spun is the Heroin Diaries. Which was EPIC, and also made my top 50.  Haven't checked out any other material, but will!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »
Have never heard a single track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
Have never heard a single track.

Check out these:

Van Nuys
Life is Beautiful
Lies of the Beautiful People

Those are from their first two records. I think you'll dig em a bit. But to me, they are very hit and miss after that, for the above stated reasons. But then again, it really depends on taste. My wife is blown away by how eclectic they are, and she's a thrash metal girl at heart.

The singer, James Michael, has a very cool voice. really enjoy listening to him sing. Soulful, good range, good character.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
Check out these:

Van Nuys
Life is Beautiful
Lies of the Beautiful People

Done!

As expected. Life Is Beautiful is the best of the three.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
 :lol

That IS a great song. And I probably put it #1 too. But I love the vocals in Van Nuys.

The new record, Prayers of the Blessed, IS really good however. If you need something new to listen to, I'd recommend giving it a listen. It's pretty tasty, guitar-wise, and some higher vocals.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 01:25:19 PM »
I have to admit, over the past six years, I've forgotten about Sixx: A.M. I saw them once with the Mrs., I want to say it was summer 2008 on Crue Fest. My wife (who is a massive Sixx: A.M. fan) and I wanted to go literally just to see Sixx: A.M. We stayed for them, and then left. No joke. We had no interest in Motley or the other bands on the bill. She got to see the Modern Vintage tour a few years later.

Anyway, this past year, our daughter, who has always gravitated toward great singers, has fallen in love with Sixx: A.M., and I realized I hadn't really listened to the band since the above post. So, I've been going through the catalog again, and man, not sure why I didn't revisit, but this is seriously great stuff. Nikki has always been a great songwriter, and with James Michael and DJ Ashba, he found his true calling in a band, IMO.

The desperation and pure vocal brilliance by James Michael in "Helicopters," the closing track on Prayers for the Blessed is just jaw dropping. His delivery reminds me of Myles Kennedy performing something like "Summergirl" from The Mayfield Four, or Geoff Tate singing "Promised Land."

Anyway, just laughing that I was the last person to post in this thread, and it literally has been since then that I had listened to Sixx: A.M. until this week. Such a powerful band.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
Oh shoot, this is a thread I created?  I still like the band (although Nikki Sixx and D.J. Ashba are guys don't that endear themselves well nowadays) and their five albums, over time, has some great gems.  Don't think there will be any more material with these in the near future since everyone seems to be busy with something else, but what they left is solid stuff.

Too bad I never saw them live when I started going to more concerts frequently 2017 and beyond.  I think they did a few shows in SoCal around 2015-2016.  One show at the Novo in LA Live and another show in 2016 supporting Shinedown and Five Finger Death Punch at the Honda Center in Anahiem and that was that for them. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:43:47 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 01:40:56 PM »
It's funny. My opinions from six years ago responding to you the first time - I disagree with them now.  :rollin

www.roadstomadness.com