Author Topic: This Is Us (TV series)  (Read 3121 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
This Is Us (TV series)
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »
After having this recommended by my cousin and his wife on Thanksgiving, I started watching it, and so far, so good.  Three episodes in, and I like it a lot.  Really good writing, although it's kind of odd so far how they've managed to make all of the main characters really likable, except for Kevin.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: This Is Us (TV series)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:54 AM »
We've been watching it and I like it.  It's kind of a "Grower" for me.  Some interesting dynamics emerging each week.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
My wife watches it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »
Just saw the first episode tonight. I enjoyed it, I may go back and watch the first episodes.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:53:13 AM »
After having this recommended by my cousin and his wife on Thanksgiving, I started watching it, and so far, so good.  Three episodes in, and I like it a lot.  Really good writing, although it's kind of odd so far how they've managed to make all of the main characters really likable, except for Kevin.

I thought the same thing for a while. But then that changes a bit, in a very interesting, and good for the show, kind of way. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm starting really like some characters and starting to not like some others. But I'm all caught up, and I'm totally invested in this family. Great show.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Great show.  My wife and I have been watching from the start.

I didn't start a thread because it didn't seem like a DTF-type show to me, so I figured no one would respond lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
Five episodes in, I am starting to not like Toby.  He was funny at first, as the fat guy with a sense of humor about it, but he was a total knob in the episode about the Steelers. Going out of his way to get Kate to watch football with him, after she made it clear that it was her thing to do alone, and then invites a buddy over, too?  What a dope.

As for the others, it's very easy to like Randall, Jack and Rebecca. 

Kevin is still just kind of there.

The Pool episode was most excellent. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
Five episodes in, I am starting to not like Toby.  He was funny at first, as the fat guy with a sense of humor about it, but he was a total knob in the episode about the Steelers. Going out of his way to get Kate to watch football with him, after she made it clear that it was her thing to do alone, and then invites a buddy over, too?  What a dope.

As for the others, it's very easy to like Randall, Jack and Rebecca. 

Kevin is still just kind of there.

The Pool episode was most excellent.

I wholeheartedly agree with most of this. Randall and Jack are my favorite characters by FAR (in fact, Randall's whole family is amazing). Kevin is starting to get better. I'm on the fence about Toby; love the guy as he is, but he does do some stupid/shitty things to Kate. Rebecca is the only character I'm really struggling with. I love (LOVE) Mandy Moore, but I'm starting to really not like Rebecca too much. Although, I really think that's what the writers are going for, and if that's the case, she has good reasons to be the way she is, and Mandy is playing it perfectly.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
All caught up now.

I definitely like Randall and Jack the most. 

Younger Rebecca is much more likable than Older Rebecca.

Kevin might be least favorite main character from any drama I've ever watched (operating under the premise that this show has multiple main characters, instead of a single one). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Last week's episode was absolutely stellar. Love that it focused on just Jack, Rebecca, Dr. K and the firefighter.  I suspect every female I know who watches this bawled their eyes out during the last 10 minutes of that one (many of whom have told me the show makes them cry almost every episode).

I'll get to tonight's episode tomorrow night.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »
Absolutely fantastic last couple of episodes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
Tonight was both gut-wrenching and amazing.  Fantastic writing and acting.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »
Tonight was both gut-wrenching and amazing.  Fantastic writing and acting.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
You just described every single episode  :lol

Offline tofee35

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
Such a great show...that last episode was just on another level...more gut-wrenching than Archie losing Edith.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Such a great show...that last episode was just on another level...more gut-wrenching than Archie losing Edith.
It was really special.

I lost my Dad a little over six years ago.  I wasn't able to be there when he actually passed. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »
Almost every woman I am friends with on FB who watches this show said they bawled their eyes out at the end of this week's episode.  Some who haven't watched yet are hesitant to watch what appears to them to be a downer of a show, but I think it's quite the contrary; I find the show quite uplifting.

I hope there are enough flashbacks used to where we still see plenty of William as older man.  William, Randall and Jack are by far the three best characters, IMO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 11:33:59 AM »
^Agreed with all of that^

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
Goddamned this weeks episode. :'( :'(

Really hope Kevin doesn't cave and take that offer.

I thought Chrissy Metz's tearful performance with Randal (in the driveway) was 1000x better than Mandy Moore's (on the walk).  The latter wasn't convincing at all.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
I thought both were good. I didn't think either stood out as that much better or worse than the other.

I still find Kevin to be very unlikable. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
Good episode last night, but given that all indications seemed to be leading towards revealing how Jack died, it was a bit underwhelming.  Twitter usually just fawns all over This Is Us after every episode, but there was a lot of disappointment last night. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 06:34:21 AM »
Agreed.  Though, I'm glad they didn't cop out and just give him a DUI fatality.

Also, I had kinda thought that this wasn't the time period for him to die.  When Kate/Randall talked about the time Jack taught them to drive, it didn't seem to line up with the ages of the kids going to the party (I think they're 14 in that period).  Then, in the finale when Rebecca said she hadn't sung in front of that many people in 15 years, I knew this wasn't the period of his death.

This show has definitely filled the void that Parenthood left.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
This show has definitely filled the void that Parenthood left.

Oh totally. Man, what a great show Parenthood was. This show is getting there, though. I liked the last episode a lot. I don't want to see Jack die, ever. LOL, I realize that's silly, but it's true; he's the best character.
WELP.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
The awesome thing about jumping between time periods is that we'll continue to get lots of these characters, even after the reveal of their death.  I'm still hoping for more William and Dr. K (man, I love Gerald McRaney) next year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »
Could not agree more.  I loved the episode that dealt with Dr. K dealing with his wife's death.  That actor hits out of the park playing that role.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »
Still really enjoying the show, but yeah, the finale was a bit of a let down.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »
And if that's the level of "fight" that warrants a wife kicking her husband out, I'd be a goddamned Hawking-level genius for all the nights spent at the local Holiday Inn Express.   :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »
Jack is dead.

We now know how it happened.

Women everywhere are going through Kleenex like mad the last few days. :lol :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 05:56:55 PM »
Jack is dead.

We now know how it happened.

Women everywhere are going through Kleenex like mad the last few days. :lol :lol
  Not just women....   :\...  :blush