Author Topic: How do you view the popular vote?  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: How do you view the popular vote?
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:07 PM »
I dunno what to tell you man, in this thread, the people to whom you are speaking, do not believe what you fear people believe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:42 PM »
I am just concerned that people are being spoonfed the delusion that the majority of voters picked her. 

There are many spoons out there, and people will generally feed off of whatever is most palatable to them, delusion or otherwise.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 7th

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
I dunno what to tell you man, in this thread, the people to whom you are speaking, do not believe what you fear people believe.

Exactly.  This is why I was asking the question in the first place.  I am curious what people think about the status of the popular vote thing.  I only brought up the "majority" argument because I hadn't heard anyone else mention it and I thought it was relevant to the question I was asking.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2016, 11:27:37 PM »
The fact someone can win the popular vote and not win the election is pretty odd. But in the presence of the electoral college helps mitigate problems that could arise from lacking a ranked voting system.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »
Once again, my original point was to explore the popular vote with the realization that more people voted against Hillary than for her.  That is all, I wasn't passing judgement either way.  I can accept she won the popular vote, but I do question if that has ever been properly defined.  I also question the media for running with it, potentially riling civil unrest, when I can't even find a clear definition of what the popular vote is. 
I think most people with a brain can figure this out. But like Adami said, most people discuss the voting in relation to only Trump and Hillary.

This isn't politics, it is math.  Right now the math shows that Hillary did not get a majority of the votes, yet I believe a large section of society believes she did due to fake news and the continued progressive propaganda from news sources who were basically all debunked on Nov 8th.  Honestly, I don't how the people of the CNNS and MSNBCs and NYTs of the world can even show their faces.  They are supposed to be experts, yet they clearly know very little about the nation and its people.  Fox was the only network to acknowledge Trump as a contender but even they did it with a "when pigs fly" smug attitude.  Just sayin, don't ask me to cite these bozos as "evidence" when they clearly are grossly flawed and incompetent in their assessment of the available information. 

Sean Hannity has joined DTF!!!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Skeever

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »
I agree it is easy to manipulate data, but it is common knowledge that major metro areas have more crime and it is also common knowledge that those areas tend to vote democrat.  We don't need snopes or the Washington post to verify common knowledge.  Heck, even in their "debunking" it appears the crime map and election map are indeed correlated or at least loosely elastic based on population.  Good old anecdotal evidence coupled with common sense tells me that I don't need to lock my car on my uncle's farm in the mountains but I damn well better in St Louis.
But the correlation (which is much loser than the bad Facebook meme map represents) is circumstantial. I'm still not totally sure what the conclusion you're trying to draw from this is, though.

Once again, my original point was to explore the popular vote with the realization that more people voted against Hillary than for her.  That is all, I wasn't passing judgement either way.  I can accept she won the popular vote, but I do question if that has ever been properly defined.  I also question the media for running with it, potentially riling civil unrest, when I can't even find a clear definition of what the popular vote is. 
How do you define the popular vote?

This isn't politics, it is math.  Right now the math shows that Hillary did not get a majority of the votes, yet I believe a large section of society believes she did due to fake news and the continued progressive propaganda from news sources who were basically all debunked on Nov 8th.  Honestly, I don't how the people of the CNNS and MSNBCs and NYTs of the world can even show their faces.  They are supposed to be experts, yet they clearly know very little about the nation and its people.  Fox was the only network to acknowledge Trump as a contender but even they did it with a "when pigs fly" smug attitude.  Just sayin, don't ask me to cite these bozos as "evidence" when they clearly are grossly flawed and incompetent in their assessment of the available information.
I'll give you the TV guys - all those are crap. But if the NYT is fake news, what's real news? So far, it seems like you've pulled mostly from anecdote and Facebook memes to back up your points. Assuming you're getting this stuff from "somewhere", what "real" news source should we be reading to get a clear picture of things?

Offline 7th

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »
I'll give you the TV guys - all those are crap. But if the NYT is fake news, what's real news? So far, it seems like you've pulled mostly from anecdote and Facebook memes to back up your points. Assuming you're getting this stuff from "somewhere", what "real" news source should we be reading to get a clear picture of things?

Wait, you think the NYT is actual news???  They are clearly a leftist propaganda organization or did you not notice that?  Don't expect me to cite "news" sources as evidence very often, though I will cite the NYT below as evidence that the biased nature of the paper is a reality.  1. The news sources have been proven to be biased and dishonest.  2. This isn't university and we are discussing matters any reasonably educated person should be able to debate without citations.  3. Relying on ultra left-wing or right-wing sources for accurate information is a fools game.  I will stand anecdotal evidence against their "fact checking" any day of the week.  If you haven't noticed, all these sources are wrong about everything all the time.  Why give them any credibility or assume they have any value at all?  Heck, even our academic institutions have become propaganda playgrounds.  I say if you want something close to the truth, look within.  Everything else can only be taken with a grain of salt in a world where people lie about everything all the time. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/public-editor/liz-spayd-the-new-york-times-public-editor.html?_r=0

The moral here is that the old liberal standby argument "show me some evidence" isn't going to fly anymore because the pool of evidence everyone is drawing from has been tainted by bias.  We are left with our wits and experiences to draw from instead of having our worldviews plugged into our eyes by corporate-sponsored content mills.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
Clinton got more votes than any other individual, sure, but if we look at the popular vote by ideology, the conservatives clearly came out ahead.  Is the media failing to point this out, or does it just not matter because "Clinton Wins Popular Vote" is a better headline for controversy and sensationalism?

We're electing a person, not an ideology.  The ideology is part of the person, but grand total conservative ideology win, counting ALL conservative candidate votes really doesn't matter, as we only vote for and elect ONE person.  It is not a media conspiracy to push the Clintons.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:30 AM »
Well this thread went quickly from "I'm just asking questions" to "liberal media conspiracy" real quick.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
The fact that an institution like the NYT can be blatantly dismissed as lying, left-wing propaganda in favor of intuition, experience, and "common sense" is genuinely terrifying, as is the assumption that we no longer need to fact check because the facts are bow lies.

Offline 7th

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
It is not a media conspiracy to push the Clintons.

I agree we are electing a person, and I agree that the popular vote is what it is.  Respectfully, CNN was caught red-handed passing debate questions to Hill's campaign.  Couple this with reporting that always painted Hillary in a good light while painting Trump as Satan's Little Helper, and well, it looks like that "conspiracy" is damn plausible.  I am somewhat shocked that people are still buying it.

Offline 7th

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »
The fact that an institution like the NYT can be blatantly dismissed as lying, left-wing propaganda in favor of intuition, experience, and "common sense" is genuinely terrifying, as is the assumption that we no longer need to fact check because the facts are bow lies.

I am on the other side of this.  I am terrified to be in a society that blindly accepts political propaganda as credible information to build a worldview upon.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »
I don't blindly accept everything. I fact check. News sources often site their sources. And they site their sources. Experience means nothing. Anecdotal evidence means nothing. Facts—which are openly available—are everything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »

The media itself is corrupt, biased, idealistic and agenda-driven, and NYT is one of the worst offenders in that regard (as are MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, etc.).  I get that many just want an echo chamber, where they watch a channel or read a newspaper that drives the stories and narratives they want to believe, but it's dangerous to take the media's word for just about anything in today's political climate.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »
Biased? Sure. Everyone is biased. Corrupt? Don't really think so.

Explain to me, then, how you get your "facts."

I'm not saying that you shouldn't read critically, check on what is written, etc. I'm saying that to immediately dismiss anything the NYT (or even Fox News) says as blatant propaganda is dangerous. 

Offline 7th

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2016, 10:53:25 AM »
I don't blindly accept everything. I fact check. News sources often site their sources. And they site their sources. Experience means nothing. Anecdotal evidence means nothing. Facts—which are openly available—are everything.

What if the sources of the "facts" are wrong?  What if the sources are lying?  What if the outcomes are simply errant?  What about freewill, personal preference, and simple faith?  Facts are cool and serve their purpose, but they don't add much to the human experience.

Offline 7th

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »

Explain to me, then, how you get your "facts."

"I don't care about facts" - Steve Jobs.

I am with Steve on this one.  Facts are useful tools in certain applications, but when they are wielded as rules for conformity, consensus, and groupthink amongst people, I become a total rebel. :-)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
So then how do you determine truth from falsehood on a daily basis?

Personal preference doesn't explain everything, or anything...in my personal preference.

My problem with that worldview is that it is easy to shake off any unpleasantness simply because you can say you don't believe it or you don't agree with it. Climate change is the biggy on this. The vast vast vast vast vast majority of climate scientists believe that climate change is a) real and b) very much exacerbated by humans. This will have dire consequences if we don't do anything, but it is extraordinarily easy to ignore the (rather intuitive) science and just say "leftist conspiracy," when it doesn't line up with the way you think.

Offline 7th

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »

The media itself is corrupt, biased, idealistic and agenda-driven, and NYT is one of the worst offenders in that regard (as are MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, etc.).  I get that many just want an echo chamber, where they watch a channel or read a newspaper that drives the stories and narratives they want to believe, but it's dangerous to take the media's word for just about anything in today's political climate.

+1, this is exactly where I am at with this.  We had an opportunity to leverage technology to build information dissemination networks that would be honest, academically viable, trustworthy sources of global information.  What we ended up with are corporate driven or state run propaganda and advertising machines used to control the people and the markets they trade in.  Much like Trump's drain the swamp idea for lobbyists, I say pull the plug on mainstream media.  I can learn more about the world from you good folks here than I can watching CNN or Fox.

Offline 7th

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
So then how do you determine truth from falsehood on a daily basis?

Personal preference doesn't explain everything, or anything...in my personal preference.

My problem with that worldview is that it is easy to shake off any unpleasantness simply because you can say you don't believe it or you don't agree with it. Climate change is the biggy on this. The vast vast vast vast vast majority of climate scientists believe that climate change is a) real and b) very much exacerbated by humans. This will have dire consequences if we don't do anything, but it is extraordinarily easy to ignore the (rather intuitive) science and just say "leftist conspiracy," when it doesn't line up with the way you think.

Agreed.  If a group of scientists concludes that climate change is a real phenomenon, I applaud their work.  When it becomes a political bargaining chip, that is when it gets sketchy.  I am not denying the facts derived from the scientific method, I am denying the "facts" communicated to the people by those with questionable agendas.  Even with something as serious as climate science people have been caught skewing data to serve political or business purposes.  So it comes down to being able to trust people.  People are flawed, therefor the things they create are potentially flawed, and good scientists know this so they leave the door open to question everything.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »

NYT is flawed, but comparing them with TV news is totally outrageous. TV news doesn't even qualify as journalism, IMO. NYT do. Their regular coverage is actually pretty good, but most people just judge them based on whether or not they like what the editorial board had said.

Disappointed 7th couldn't share one "legitimate" (to him) news source with the group. If you're gonna blanket discount everything, at least share what is credible to you.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
What the hell is going on in this thread?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »

It should be merged with the Illuminati thread.Then again, that one started to go off the rails as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline 7th

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2016, 12:21:31 PM »

Seems to me like we are having a decent discussion here.  What's the issue?

Offline 7th

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »

NYT is flawed, but comparing them with TV news is totally outrageous. TV news doesn't even qualify as journalism, IMO. NYT do. Their regular coverage is actually pretty good, but most people just judge them based on whether or not they like what the editorial board had said.

Disappointed 7th couldn't share one "legitimate" (to him) news source with the group. If you're gonna blanket discount everything, at least share what is credible to you.

I most certainly can list a legitimate news source: Google.  Because using that tool I can find all the various biased sources and weed through them to make a personal determination based on my own education and life experience.  Then I can read what people are yapping about on social networks and in forums like this and come to a reasonable conclusion (that usually turn out to be pretty accurate). 

Oh man, now I am reminded of that cut scene in Peace Sells..."This IS the news!"  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2016, 03:59:47 PM »

What if the sources of the "facts" are wrong?  What if the sources are lying?  What if the outcomes are simply errant?  What about freewill, personal preference, and simple faith?  Facts are cool and serve their purpose, but they don't add much to the human experience.

And this is exactly how false 'news' comes into existence.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:28 PM »

I most certainly can list a legitimate news source: Google.  Because using that tool I can find all the various biased sources and weed through them to make a personal determination based on my own education and life experience.  Then I can read what people are yapping about on social networks and in forums like this and come to a reasonable conclusion (that usually turn out to be pretty accurate). 

Oh man, now I am reminded of that cut scene in Peace Sells..."This IS the news!"  :metal

I don't think Google counts...unless they're producing news. If they did, it would probably be left-biased so it wouldn't be much better than Republicans using Fox News. It concerns me that we need to Google things to find news. It means that there aren't automatic sources we can refer to when we want some no-nonsense news. We have to read through lots of masturbation for each side before finding something we can call credible. I don't read the NYT but it's not because they're a bad news source. They're just more slanted to the left and, I think it was Skeever that said, people aren't going to read a news source if they find it has a bias against what they believe. If they start to ignore facts just because they have an agenda, then they become disreputable. I can't judge them in that sense because I never read it so someone else would have to comment on that. Keep in mind that there are right wing and left wing sources that are guilty of that.

If you want some good editorial, try Counter Punch. Yes they're slightly biased to the left, but I've seen their articles hammer Obama for numerous things so I can't say they're biased. Avoid the news sources that will usually pine for their side no matter what the facts are (MSNBC, Fox, CNN). I like Reason.com but they are more Libertarian slanted (which is what I am) but I still find them more accurate that most of the mainstream sources. If you're a radical capitalist like me, Reason.com will be your new favorite place to go. However, I know you said you supported Trump. Reason.com has not shown too much love for him. And actually a lot of their articles didn't show much love for Gary Johnson either. Most of them, like myself, don't find him to be a true Libertarian. I also enjoy the articles on The Objective Standard. There are others out there. You can tell after reading a few articles what they're worth.

Don't confuse your ideologies with the facts.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:38:44 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline 7th

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »

I don't think Google counts...unless they're producing news. If they did, it would probably be left-biased so it wouldn't be much better than Republicans using Fox News. It concerns me that we need to Google things to find news. It means that there aren't automatic sources we can refer to when we want some no-nonsense news. We have to read through lots of masturbation for each side before finding something we can call credible. I don't read the NYT but it's not because they're a bad news source. They're just more slanted to the left and, I think it was Skeever said, people aren't going to read a news source if they find it has a bias against what they believe. If they start to ignore facts just because they have an agenda, then they become disreputable. I can't judge them in that sense because I never read it so someone else would have to comment on that. Keep in mind that there are right wing and left wing sources that are guilty of that.

If you want some good editorial, try Counter Punch. Yes they're slightly biased to the left, but I've seen their articles hammer Obama for numerous things so I can't say they're biased. Avoid the news sources that will usually pine for their side no matter what the facts are (MSNBC, Fox, CNN). I like Reason.com but they are more Libertarian slanted (which is what I am) but I still find them more accurate that most of the mainstream sources. If you're a radical capitalist like me, Reason.com will be your new favorite place to go. However, I know you said you supported Trump. Reason.com has not shown too much love for him. And actually a lot of their articles didn't show much love for Gary Johnson either. Most of them, like myself, don't find him to be a true Libertarian. I also enjoy the articles on The Objective Standard. There are others out there. You can tell after reading a few articles what they're worth.

Don't confuse your ideologies with the facts.

Good post.  I will check out Reason.com and Counter Punch.  I think it is healthy to scrutinize Trump, but it needs to be fair.  My main reasons for supporting him were that I loathe the Clintons and I actually think the nation needs a non politician to shake things up.  Beyond that, I expect him to do the job but if he fucks it up I will be the first to call him on it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »
Another observation, and this one is a bit more concerning, but do the people pushing for Hillary to call for recounts really want to open up that can of worms considering the number of alleged illegal immigrants and dead people who fraudulently voted for her.
Is there any evidence of this? You throw it out there like it's a fact.

Something something post-fact society.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline 7th

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
Another observation, and this one is a bit more concerning, but do the people pushing for Hillary to call for recounts really want to open up that can of worms considering the number of alleged illegal immigrants and dead people who fraudulently voted for her.
Is there any evidence of this? You throw it out there like it's a fact.

Something something post-fact society.

Now that recounts are official and the Clintons are involved, how many democrats are ready to renounce the party and mainstream media for the smug hypocrisy of smearing Trump for saying he'd "wait and see" about election results?  Do they think they will overturn the election and Hillary will take office?  Yeah, that would be just peachy wouldn't it?  The most corrupt women in the country overturning the presidential election process with lawyers.  But since the likelihood of that happening is essentially zero, why put the nation through more election shit?  The world has already accepted the results, is gearing up for a Trump term, and Trump's plans are not outrageous or divisive.  Why not just go with it?  Well, because without Hillary in office the most corrupt people in the world lose their gravy train.  Amazing they have conned so many seemingly smart people into supporting their scam - violently even.

As for a "post fact society", that is the ultimate goal.  See, the "facts" many people cling to are simply wrong.  This is why so many were surprised with the election results.  The "facts" they believed (and many still do) are lies.  Lies used to literally brainwash the vulnerable.  We need to adjust society back to only granting the term "fact" to properly testable, quantifiable conclusions.  Facts should be very rare, but today everyone's heads are full of "facts" that simply are not real. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »

The most corrupt women in the country.

Trump's plans are not outrageous or divisive.

without Hillary in office the most corrupt people in the world lose their gravy train.

The "facts" they believed (and many still do) are lies.  Lies used to literally brainwash the vulnerable. 

Are these your "facts"?

hyperbole
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun, Rhetoric.
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:57:31 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline 7th

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »

without Hillary in office the most corrupt people in the world lose their gravy train.

The "facts" they believed (and many still do) are lies.  Lies used to literally brainwash the vulnerable. 

hyperbole
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun, Rhetoric.

But, "Hillary won majority of the vote..." or "We need a recount because Russian hackers swayed the election" are acceptable unexaggerated truths?  But I'll play along.  Maybe my ramblings on the subject are nothing more than hyperbolic bias and everyone's love for Hillary is justified because she's a great person.  If this is the case, my justification for not trusting her is due to the lies from the mainstream media calling her out as a corrupt and incompetent politician for the past 2.5 *decades*.  Hard for me to hear about controversy after controversy after controversy and believe it's all a vast right-wing conspiracy.  Let's face it, the Clintons are greasy and pretend they are not.  Trump is greasy and says "yeah so what?".  Which is more respectable?  I gotta go with Trump. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »

hyperbole
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun, Rhetoric.

But, "Hillary won majority of the vote..." or "We need a recount because Russian hackers swayed the election" are acceptable unexaggerated truths?  But I'll play along.  Maybe my ramblings on the subject are nothing more than hyperbolic bias and everyone's love for Hillary is justified because she's a great person.  If this is the case, my justification for not trusting her is due to the lies from the mainstream media calling her out as a corrupt and incompetent politician for the past 2.5 *decades*.  Hard for me to hear about controversy after controversy after controversy and believe it's all a vast right-wing conspiracy.  Let's face it, the Clintons are greasy and pretend they are not.  Trump is greasy and says "yeah so what?".  Which is more respectable?  I gotta go with Trump. 

All are hyperbole, and none are more acceptable than another. 
They do have a legitimate place in a discussion....maybe the comment section on a Yahoo article?
Surely not here in the DTF P/R, right?

Also, you are basing your support for Trump on what...him admitting he is "greasy"?  I would like to see where Trump admits where he is "greasy".  And by greasy I assume you mean the "Clinton-like" attributes you talk about?  In my assessment, both candidates are equal in that respect.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:41:19 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
In what universe did Clinton not actually win the popular vote?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
He'd caught up in semantics. He's saying the people are saying Hillary won the majority of the vote, which is technically incorrect.  Hoever, nobody really counts the third parties so of course everyone other than 7th understands this statement to mean that she received more votes than Trump.