Author Topic: Pantera  (Read 30475 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: Pantera
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2011, 02:36:03 AM »
Uuuuummmm... Reinventing The Steel is fucking awesome.

Bumping this post for TRUTH. I listened to it today for the first time in nearly a year and it STILL is a fucking cool record. Really groovy and heavy shit. Hellbound is ... well I can't describe it. This will do: :2metal:
Just listen to that snare! THAT SNAAAAAAARRE.
Mentally metalicious lines: HELLBOOOOUUND, IT'S GODDAMN ELECTRIC, and COZ YESTERDAY DON'T MEAN SHIT - BECAUSE TOMORROW'S A DAY - YOU HAVE TO FACE!!
Godly.

Ooh, 4th page now. :hat Keep 'em comin'.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2011, 07:29:07 AM »
Yeah I don't understand the hate for it. Maybe it's produced a little differently than the others, but it's still great. Lots of great riffs.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
I love this band, a lot of very good songs. I don't really listen to much outside of Cowboys/Vulgar/Driven. Maybe I should start listening to some of their other stuff.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
Trendkill is pretty good, but if you ask me, each album had a dip in quality after Cowboys.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
Trendkill is pretty good, but if you ask me, each album had a dip in quality after Cowboys.
Trendkill is my favourite. Floods is their best song IMO.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Dat solo.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
Dat solo.

Shit yes.  Listened to that today for the first time in ages.  Awesome.

Probably not the song you want to be playing in Brisbane, Australia around this time though.  Yikes!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
Dat solo.

Probably not the song you want to be playing in Brisbane, Australia around this time though.  Yikes!

Do you live in Brisbane? :(

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
Dat solo.

Do you live in Brisbane? :(

Nah, my aunty does.  Her house is fine though.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »
I live in Perth, its all over the news here.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2011, 03:19:12 AM »
R.I.P. Dimebag... happy birthday in heaven!!!!
We'll never forget you!  :heart

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
This question haunts my miiiiiiiiind...
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2011, 03:42:06 AM »
^Good timing obscure! I'm gonna put on The Sleep right now as I go to sleep.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2011, 04:03:12 AM »
^ :metal

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »
I listened to Reinvent tonight. kicked arse.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
1 week late but Happy B-Day Dimebag!  :metal :metal (He deserves two, OK!)

Very Rare Dimebag Darell and Vinnie Paul Hard Rock Treasures interview 2004
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
I'm also late for the party but Happy Bday. You gave us some of the most badass riffs in metal history R.I.P. :2metal:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
Just saw this doc. about Pantera. I love the transition they made from being a pure glam rock band to a Death/Thrash metal band. Talk about two diffrent worlds.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:30:42 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2013, 01:11:57 PM »
Yeah, nobody give into the temptation of listening to the earlier albums. They are truly awful.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
I wish they would re-release their first 4 albums.  I still need to check those out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2013, 03:38:35 AM »
God damn Phil is one of the best vocalists of all time, have any of you heard the split he did with war beast? His solo album is to be material like that and I'm so fucking excited
Also god damn The Sleep, a pure bonafide masterpiece. I'm on a Phil anselmo/pantera binge atm

• DT.net Member
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2013, 03:43:53 AM »
I dunno man. Can he even sing anymore? I know he's still good for screams but it's been years since I've seen him not sound like a winded, shitfaced, redneck when trying to sing traditional style stuff.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2013, 03:45:36 AM »
I dunno man. Can he even sing anymore? I know he's still good for screams but it's been years since I've seen him not sound like a winded, shitfaced, redneck when trying to sing traditional style stuff.
latest EP with Down was pretty good, but I think his solo is going to be heavy as fuck extreme material.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:59 AM »
Yeah, nobody give into the temptation of listening to the earlier albums. They are truly awful.

Wrong. Power Metal is great, much better than most of the stuff from their "tough guy" period.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
Freakin bad-ass MoFo ass kikin Vinnie " Fucking" Paul and of course Dimebag.  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyTXRUX6e-w

He and Dime has more metal in their beards than fukin any emo-metal kiddo bands these days PUT TOGETHER!!

AAAAAAAAARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

Sry for that, had to ventilate!  :|

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
God damn Phil is one of the best vocalists of all time, have any of you heard the split he did with war beast? His solo album is to be material like that and I'm so fucking excited
Also god damn The Sleep, a pure bonafide masterpiece. I'm on a Phil anselmo/pantera binge atm

:tup  Cowboys is where it's at for Phil.  He does the harsh stuff but can still do the Halford ball squeezing high note stuff too.  Awesome.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »

:tup  Cowboys is where it's at for Phil.  He does the harsh stuff but can still do the Halford ball squeezing high note stuff too.  Awesome.

+1 to both of those points. The Sleep is freaking amazing and although I really enjoy most of their albums Cowboys is the perfect medium for me (my fav).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
I wanna say that Vinne Paul is my favorite drummer when it comes to double bass. The guy is able to never overuse it and the way he plays it just feels like a bullet to the chest every time he hits it. Awesome.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »

Wrong. Power Metal is great, much better than most of the stuff from their "tough guy" period.

Its a nice blend of the old and whats to come.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
I like the classic Pantera albums but I always had a sort of unusual perspective on them.  Phil and I are the same age and he used to hang out in the record store where I worked when we were both teenagers in New Orleans.  He was always a bit peculiar (the guy most likely to go berserk one day -- no surprise, right?) and used to just hang out to talk metal with the store employees and talk about how he was going to have a metal band -- which he did, named Razor White, and they were pretty decent.  Then he disappeared for a few months and we heard he had gone to Dallas to join another band.  Lo and behold the rise of Pantera began. 

I've always supported him and his various projects since Pantera, but I always thought of Pantera a bit differently because they had that wacky teenager who used to hang out where I worked and he turned his dreams into something bigger.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
Interesting story Rick....................I'd call myself a casual Pantera fan - very much just a few songs off a few albums.  What would you consider their "classic" albums to be -  I'd say Cowboys and Vulgar Display.  After that it seemed to me it got to be as much about being as heavy as possible as writing decent songs.

For me it's Cemetery Gates and ..

the best of the rest. (Cowboys, Shattered, Domination, This Love, Walk, Fucking Hostile)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
Adore Pantera, but as with most bands from my youth, I only revisit them once in a while now. But I do so with Pantera more than any other band I grew up with.

10's; Floods; Hollow; and The Sleep are my go-to songs. The Art of Shredding is nice when I wanna feel like a...a...horny chainsaw-man with a shotgun for a dick. Or something.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »
Interesting story Rick....................I'd call myself a casual Pantera fan - very much just a few songs off a few albums.  What would you consider their "classic" albums to be -  I'd say Cowboys and Vulgar Display.  After that it seemed to me it got to be as much about being as heavy as possible as writing decent songs.
I think of the classics as Cowboys, Far Beyond Driven and Vulgar Display.  Others may disagree, but that's the classic 3 for me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:57 PM »
I guess I should join Rick and George so we can have three NOLAmites up in this bitch simultaneously. I only consider CFH and VDoP classics. I still really like Becoming, HLSC, 10s, DtW, and adore Floods though.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
My favorite part of Trendkill is the intro:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

One of the best album intros ever.

Whenever I think of Pantera, I think of Beavis & Butthead jokes about Phil:
https://youtu.be/p0gTN_YQCKY

DAMN IT, PANTERA, THIS BEER IS WARM!!!  :lol

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.