Author Topic: 20th Anniversary of Falling Into Infinity coming up...  (Read 10453 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: 20th Anniversary of Falling Into Infinity coming up...
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:40 PM »
The difference for me, is TA ballads are so much better than the FII ballads.

Wow, couldn't possibly disagree more with that. TAMP is one of the best "ballads" they've ever done. TA's ballads for the most part are very platitudinous.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
ACOS was already out.

Whoops...I meant Metropolis Pt. II.  Shows how tired I am.  :-[
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »

Cut just three songs (I vote for YNM, JLMB, and BMS) and the album flows much better and there's already a big jump in quality.
Totally.

Although JLMB is awesome live, especially the '05 version.

I also want to say that the Budokan version of Hollow Years is amazing. It takes IMO a Bottom 20 DT track and turns it into a Top 20 track. I just feel that the studio version is fairly lifeless and doesn't really go anywhere.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »
Cut just three songs (I vote for YNM, JLMB HY, and BMS HK) and the album flows much better and there's already a big jump in quality.

Fixed.

And, yeah, other than TAMP, I agree that the ballads on The Astonishing are SO much better than those on FII. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »
If they had just made the double album and included ACOS, people would probably be ranking it right up there with the other of the first five!  :D

Stupid producers.

I think you're getting confused with Metropolis 2, which was something that MP wanted to include. This was before M2 blew up to what it is now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2016, 09:24:29 PM »
The difference for me, is TA ballads are so much better than the FII ballads.

Wow, couldn't possibly disagree more with that. TAMP is one of the best "ballads" they've ever done. TA's ballads for the most part are very platitudinous.

I think all of the FII ballads are among their best (not TAMP so much, although I've warmed to it over time). TA does have Act of Faythe, which is one of their best ballads in quite a while, but I'd still easily give the edge to FII overall. TA has too many filler ballads.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2016, 09:57:04 PM »

Cut just three songs (I vote for YNM, JLMB, and BMS) and the album flows much better and there's already a big jump in quality.
Totally.

Although JLMB is awesome live, especially the '05 version.

JLMB is one of the few DT tracks that seems like it was made with the purpose of being played live. The sort of song they would never write today.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2016, 06:46:15 AM »
I also want to say that the Budokan version of Hollow Years is amazing. It takes IMO a Bottom 20 DT track and turns it into a Top 20 track. I just feel that the studio version is fairly lifeless and doesn't really go anywhere.

Preach it! The LaB version of Hollow Years is literally what got me into DT.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2016, 06:50:04 AM »
Appreciation is often dependent on what we associate with any album (referring to CoolChris for this particular thread).  I came on board in 2003, and I still didn't have FII when I saw the 'Chaos' tour (my 3rd DT concert).  And, at first, silly me thought they were playing 'Xanadu' as an encore.....(seeing MP playing from in front of his kit was at the beginning was memorable)

I was, of course, enlightened a couple of weeks later after purchasing the album.   A great offset to the dark SC whilst realizing the band was still 'growing'.

As to 'my' version:  Burning My Soul/Peruvian Skies/Hollow Years/Hell's Kitchen/Lines In The Sand/Take Away My Pain/Just Let Me Breathe/Trial of Tears. 

The chorus for 'New Millenium' ruins it for me, baby.  As to 'Hollow Years'....I lived it. 

Moving on....as to 'what to play' on their next tour from FII:  if they were to do one track, the demo version of 'Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen' would be a really nice touch.  Never on an official release, hasn't been performed this century, so it would be something 'new'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:01 AM »
They did play thr demo version of BMS before FII was released and then, again, on the SDOIT tour. There's footage on youtube  ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »

Yea, that version is significantly better than the album version.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2016, 09:03:57 AM »
They did play thr demo version of BMS before FII was released and then, again, on the SDOIT tour. There's footage on youtube  ;D

Can you help me with that?  I had found 'Hell's Kitchen/Burning My Soul' from 2002.....but not the way it was played with in the demo and 90s.  Thanks in advance (and sorry for the error).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:18 AM »

I think what makes the Budokan version better is the amazing and epic JP solo, versus the original, that only has the melody played on an acoustic guitar.

Can you help me with that?  I had found 'Hell's Kitchen/Burning My Soul' from 2002.....but not the way it was played with in the demo and 90s.  Thanks in advance (and sorry for the error).

The pre-FII version is featured on the official bootleg from Ytsejam Records: Old bridge, New Jersey 1996. They played a few or their new songs (BMS, LITS, PS)  :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »

I think what makes the Budokan version better is the amazing and epic JP solo, versus the original, that only has the melody played on an acoustic guitar.

Yeah the solo is the obvious difference, the whole arrangement of that song they did throughout the ToT tour was great they embellished it in just the right places.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »

Yeah the solo is the obvious difference, the whole arrangement of that song they did throughout the ToT tour was great they embellished it in just the right places.

I believe they brought this arrangement of HY back during the BC&SL tour as well. 

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2016, 11:07:36 AM »
Unpopular opinion right here: I'd much rather see them tour for a 20th FII anniversary than for a 25th I&W anniversary.

Agreed that yours is an unpopular opinion.  I like FII, but it's not I&W!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:55 AM »
I believe they brought this arrangement of HY back during the BC&SL tour as well.

I believe you are correct sir!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
Oh, if we're going the expanded route, yes, "Speak to Me" would be ideal. Love that song.

Unpopular opinion right here: I'd much rather see them tour for a 20th FII anniversary than for a 25th I&W anniversary.

Not sure I'd go totally there (I think a tour in support of the band's most likely least popular record isn't feasible), but I would take it if they ever did do it! I just felt an I&W tour could kill two birds with one stone, and recognize FII too. :)

I'd have to check with the current album ranking thread, but I would guess that The Astonishing would be least popular.    If you include A Change of Seasons, I rank FII 8th and Astonishing 14th by far.

I don't think JP would play You Not Me, but I'd love to see Burning my Soul, Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears and Lines in the Sand again
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
Oh, if we're going the expanded route, yes, "Speak to Me" would be ideal. Love that song.

Not sure I'd go totally there (I think a tour in support of the band's most likely least popular record isn't feasible), but I would take it if they ever did do it! I just felt an I&W tour could kill two birds with one stone, and recognize FII too. :)

I'd have to check with the current album ranking thread, but I would guess that The Astonishing would be least popular.    If you include A Change of Seasons, I rank FII 8th and Astonishing 14th by far.

I don't think JP would play You Not Me, but I'd love to see Burning my Soul, Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears and Lines in the Sand again

I would have guessed WDaDU, but FII, TA, and SC all seem to be lowly ranked. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »

They brought it back with the epic solo and outro, but the '09 version also included the demo pre-chorus that had been cut on the FII version.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »
Had they included Raise The Knife, the album would've been that much better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
Damn, I forgot about that one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
No doubt!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
Raise the Knife is the only non album track that I feel would have really lifted FII a bit more.  Not that the other non album tracks were bad, I enjoy them, but I don't feel like any of the others would have made FII a better album.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »

I dunno.  I'm kinda ambivalent on that.  Raise the knife just sorta meanders for me.  There's no real song on FII that I truly dislike, though Anna Lee is no classic.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
AL is no classic, but it's a DT classic.  A lot of DT fans like that song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »
AL is no classic, but it's a DT classic.  A lot of DT fans like that song.

There's not many of us, but I love that song.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
I'll bet an audience would go nuts if DT started playing AL at a show just out of the clear blue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
I'll bet an audience would go nuts if DT started playing AL at a show just out of the clear blue.

Like instead of Begin Again they just went into Anna Lee  :lol  I would love to see that live spontaneity from the band.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »
I, for one, would LOVE to see Anna Lee performed live again.  Definitely one of my favorite parts of 5YIAL.  JP playing slide on that Talman is sweet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »
Would love to see FII being performed on its entirety. My first DT album was Images but my 2nd was FII, while my 3rd was Once in a Livetime. Those were the album that the store in Mexico where I used to live carried in stock. I was never aware of Awake until a few years later. Anyways, it was quite a contrast between Images and FII. Images changed my life but the songs on FII sounded way better and more crafted. The highlight for me in this album are the keyboards and the guitar solos and JLB's voice. The drum sound that MP had on FII remains an all time favorite ever. To this date, FII remains in my top 4 DT albums (SFAM, Awake, Images, and FII).

I wish the FII demos would have been released with the production of FII. The songs that got cut off the main album are great.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
DoubleAgent:   " . . . . .AL is no classic, but it's a DT classic. . . . . "

I guess you and I define the word "classic" differently.    If we had everyone on here rank every DT album song from 1 to whatever, Anna Lee would surely end up in the bottom 10% of most lists.

Yes, some people would go nuts - if only because it's rarely played.

Thankfully DT's catalog is so deep that even the bottom 10% are mostly great songs!  But it's not a DT classic.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »
Anna Lee showcases a side of the band that I personally enjoy -- the more simplistic side. I love the song, although it is probably my fourth favorite on FII, after Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand, and Hell's Kitchen. I felt the basic piano, and then the more relaxed instrumentation gave the song a soulful feeling that really resonated.

And agreed with people who say if the song is played, people would go nuts. Unfortunately, I think Tony is probably correct, that it would be more because it is rarely played, as opposed to people actually loving the song. But count me among the latter. There's something refreshing about that song to me. And I feel it is highly underrated by the fanbase.

My only gripe with that tune (which puts Hell's Kitchen above it in my ranking) is about the 3:10 mark, the bridge of the song, when James elects to go higher pitch. I know they likely did it for some dynamics. But I think it really takes away from the tune. I think that could have been re-thought. But it doesn't kill it for me. I just would have went somewhere else if I was singing it (and I usually try different things when I sing it).

But very underappreciated cut. Most of the songs like it in DT's catalog are. But I am glad they still attempt stuff like that.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

• No Day But Today
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
Anybody listening    makes a great point.   Anna Lee stands out in that it is a more simplistic song. One of my Favorite DT songs is "I walk beside you."   Straight forward rock / pop song but clearly done by excellent musicians.  I always thought it could have been their   "Owner of a Lonely Heart" 

That's not to say I don't love their proggy stuff, but I am not a prog guy in general.        I really only go for DT and Rush in terms of prog.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »
I should also point out that 2017 is the 1st anniversary of The Astonishing. They should probably play it in full.
fanticide.bandcamp.com