Author Topic: Has Dream Theater lost Faythe in The Astonishing? (new 2016 setlist spoilers)  (Read 1635 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

(pun intended)

I noticed that they're no longer playing all of The Astonishing in full, and instead are cutting out some songs and replacing them with an encore of more standard songs.

Has anyone heard why this might be the case?  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's b/c the new album is just too much to digest in one sitting, and they're finally realizing it.  For all the praise it's received, I've heard just as much criticism.  I've seen a lot of criticism from people (myself included) that it's just too much to ask of people to sit through so much stuff that's simply padding (pretty such the 2nd half of Act I).   All said, they've cut out 5 songs from the album, some I agree with in terms of album flow, some I don't.  Surprisingly, they've cut mostly from Act II, which near unanimously seems to be the more coherent and better of the two acts.  Too much same-sounding stuff in the second half of Act I that doesn't advance the story in a significant way, yet they left a lot of that in.  Not sure their reasoning, unless that wanted to somehow make Set 1 still long(er) so that the encore of more traditional songs rounds out the back half of the show, while at the same time preserving the Act I/Act II intermission.

Anyway, poked around a bit and haven't seen any discussion of this major change in the tour, which surprises me.  What has the reaction been by people who expected to see the entire album?  Has the band said anything?

ETA: Did see some discussion buried in threads that were already 10 pages long, but still surprised there wasn't a thread dedicated to it to alert people.

But yeah, can't say I blame them for making the change.  Just too much negative reaction to the album which I'm sure translated to live attendance and energy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:17:02 AM by zappafrank2112 »

Offline Architeuthis

I've seen mixed reviews, but there are enough positive ones to carry out the tour and make TA a success.  I took two of my friends to a concert on this tour who were new to Dream Theater and they never heard this album either.   They both thoroughly enjoyed the show and said they would see it again ( kudos to them for having an open mind ). 
 I think DT have been touring this album for so long now, they just wanted to keep it fresh and change it up a little..  I'm so glad I got to see TA tour, this album is brilliant!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
I've seen mixed reviews, but there are enough positive ones to carry out the tour and make TA a success.  I took two of my friends to a concert on this tour who were new to Dream Theater and they never heard this album either.   They both thoroughly enjoyed the show and said they would see it again ( kudos to them for having an open mind ). 
 I think DT have been touring this album for so long now, they just wanted to keep it fresh and change it up a little..  I'm so glad I got to see TA tour, this album is brilliant!

In my opinion, there is not any problem for someone who has never heard of DT to start with that album and like it or even love it.  But it's not as easy for older fans to digest it because it is totally different than what they have done before.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Anyway, poked around a bit and haven't seen any discussion of this major change in the tour, which surprises me.  What has the reaction been by people who expected to see the entire album?  Has the band said anything?
Check the Concerts and Set Lists Subforum.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.