Author Topic: John Petrucci's Guitar Universe (Aug. 7-11, 2017)  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
John Petrucci's Guitar Universe (Aug. 7-11, 2017)
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-john-petrucci-to-host-his-first-guitar-camp-next-august/

DREAM THEATER's JOHN PETRUCCI To Host His First Guitar Camp Next August

DREAM THEATER's John Petrucci will host his first guitar camp on August 7-11, 2017 at the Glen Cove Mansion in Glen Cove, New York. "John Petrucci's Guitar Universe" is an event for players and music lovers of all ages, levels, interests, and taste. Whether you are a master player, a beginner, or just an enthusiastic fan, the four-day programs offer activities and workshops for you. The environments are non-competitive and are strictly about immersing oneself in the joys of music and the lovely surroundings.

Says Petrucci: "How can you say no to four days and nights of shredding, BBQ, wine tasting and hanging out on beautiful Long Island in the summer time? I can't!

“Nostalgically, it's a very cool place for DREAM THEATER fans. We've recorded four albums at Cove City Sound Studios right there in Glen Cove beginning with 'Train Of Thought' and including our last three releases, 'A Dramatic Turn Of Events', 'Dream Theater' and our latest endeavor, the massive rock opera 'The Astonishing', which was both written and recorded in that historic studio. There's a lot of DREAM THEATER history in the area, in fact. The DREAM THEATER boys have even stayed at Glen Cove Mansion while recording some of those albums! The north shore of Long Island is a truly beautiful place and is infinitely inspiring. It's where I grew up, formed the band, raised my family and where I still live today.

"I have one important goal going into this: to make 'John Petrucci's Guitar Universe' a blast for everyone! It's a celebration of the guitar, the art of shred and summer on beautiful Long Island. The camp will include informative workshops, student and faculty jams, a summit with some of the guitar industry's leading voices and live evening performances including a concert featuring my solo band. It's not just about taking lessons and attending seminars though; it's a much broader vision — we're going to hang out together, BBQ, enjoy some Long Island wines, maybe even talk bearding, bodybuilding and everything else the area has to offer!

"There's something I think about often which is what I like to call a certain 'guitar camaraderie' that's so special and very specific to the guitar community. We've all experienced this… a player's selfless gesture and willingness to share their tone mission… their knowledge, information, and their passion for this instrument and all of the sound-sculpting toys that make this world so infinitely explorable. It's so easy to learn something new from a fellow guitarist or gain a different perspective through a shared musical experience. It'd be great if everyone who attended this camp left with a sense and feeling of that unique 'guitar camaraderie.'Through meeting new people and being surrounded by great guitar players, you will hopefully gain a new and impassioned appreciation for the instrument we all love and my desire is that everyone who attends this camp will be able to take that feeling home with them.

"I'm proud to say this is my 'Guitar Universe'!"

For more information, visit www.JohnPetruccisGuitarUniverse.com.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: John Petrucci's Guitar Universe (Aug. 7-11, 2017)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »
Cool! Look at the names of the people involved :

Tosin Abasi, Rusty Cooley, Andy James,Tony MacAlpine, Mike Mangini, and Andy McKee!

Whoooo!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »

Tosin Abasi, Rusty Cooley, Andy James,Tony MacAlpine, Mike Mangini, and Andy McKee!

Whoooo!

B.Lee

Shouldn't John, Tosin, and Rusty on the same stage be considered dangerous? Won't the universe collapse in on itself because it can't handle the awesomeness?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
That sounds incredible!

Too bad I suck at guitar lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
Wow, that's really cool!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »

Whoooo!

B.Lee

Shouldn't John, Tosin, and Rusty on the same stage be considered dangerous? Won't the universe collapse in on itself because it can't handle the awesomeness?

You bet!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:09:14 PM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »
That sounds incredible!

Fumbling over basic chords while Johnny and the rest are eating ribs :D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
"Oh cool, that might be interesting. Let me just look at the pric..."

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »

Really?  It works out to $450 per day.  To me, that's not bad value at all for the workshops, accommodations, concert, and food.  I mean, $1800 isn't chump change.  But for someone who is into these celeb "band camp" type things, that's not a bad price.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm maybe not all that surprised at the price tag. These kinds of things aren't priced based on return-of-investment, they're priced purely on what people are willing to pay. I'm sure there are quite a few kids to be found in the NYC area whose parents won't even blink to shell out $2k for that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MarkX

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

I suck and my wife is an early beginner.  I'm taking her and we will both benefit from this.  The only way to get better is to learn.

"John Petrucci's Guitar Universe is an event for players and music lovers of all ages, levels, interests, and taste! Whether you are a master player, a beginner, or just an enthusiastic fan, our four day programs offer activities and workshops for you. Our environments are non-competitive and are strictly about immersing one's self in the joys of music and our lovely surroundings!"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »
Strongly considering going to this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
Sounds totally awesome.

Really?  It works out to $450 per day.  To me, that's not bad value at all for the workshops, accommodations, concert, and food.  I mean, $1800 isn't chump change.  But for someone who is into these celeb "band camp" type things, that's not a bad price.

It's an expensive vacation for sure, but $450 a day on vacation is doable, especially for something so unique. What's Disney per day? This is like Guitar Disney!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Awaken

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »

Absolutely agree.  The accommodations alone - on Long Island, peak summer season, and what appears to be an absolutely gorgeous resort of sorts - almost make it worth it.  Add in learning from the likes of JP, Tosin, and Andy McKee - and don't forget the BBQ!! - this is priced very well IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »
This is like Guitar Disney!

:lol  That's an amazing analogy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »
Will JP be barbecuing chickens again?

Offline jsbru

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 07:56:06 PM »
If I have a spare $2,000 lying around, by then, I'd do this.  It's expensive, but you stay in what looks like a fantastic place, and all your meals are included.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 03:19:41 AM »
Will JP be barbecuing chickens again?
:lol

As someone that's not playing guitar, just hanging with JP and eating BBQ would be enough awesome for me. Nevermind me, i'll be at the bar during the masturbation seminars.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »

That's exactly my thought, and if I had the money to spare I would go there, because I think the experience could be very rewarding and interesting. I've seen advertisements for these 'guitar camp' things that offered less, but cost more. I have no doubt JP will get all spots on this thing filled, there's plenty of people that would happily spend time and money to go there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »
I wonder if Andy James attitude has changed any since i worked with him...

His previous band came to stay at my Dad's farm so my bro could shoot a video for them. He spent several weeks in the cold building sets and hiring a digger to build a "grave" in the forest

for their video... The rest of the band were sound. Really nice guys. Andy was a complete diva. Said everything was shit - complained about the weather and this and that.

Stayed in a hotel whilst the rest of the band slept in church on the floor on mattresses.

:p I remember asking him which amp company he was thinking about getting an endorsement from and he says " well not Blackstar. they're shit..." and lo and behold - he ends up with Blackstar

anyway.

The band has split now but they mentioned how opportunities would be wasted as Andy would be rude to whoever was offering / organising something and they'd turn them down.

Basically the opposite of how I imagine Petrucci to carry himself.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 07:57:09 AM »
I suppose it had to happen eventually.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 03:21:29 AM »
What did ?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 05:38:38 PM »

I checked out the rates at that place and the cheapest room goes for a minimum of 200 bucks a night.  Could be more during "peak" times.  So right there you're essentially paying only $250 a day for the food, workshops, and hanging out with some pretty well known musicians.  If I was any good at guitar I would definitely look into going.  Hell, I'm tempted to do it just for the BBQ.  Screw the music.