Author Topic: Applying for a job. Need some opinions here.  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Applying for a job. Need some opinions here.
« on: November 20, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
Hey guys.  So, I've been thinking about applying to Blizzard Entertainment (the video game company that created World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, etc.) in their finance division for their Associate Financial Analyst position.  I feel like I can do the job well based on what they stated here.

https://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=16000TQ

I don't have any job experience, though, but have done class projects where I believe my roles in those projects fit well with the responsibilities (analyzing financial data and make forecasts and provide reports, etc.) and what they are looking for in an employee (team player, have standards of accuracy and attention to detail, is willing to commit time needed, etc.)

The only drawback, though, is that they want students from grad schools, which I am not (though I contemplate it from time to time in the last few months after graduating college).

Should I still apply and see what happens?  I feel like this job would really suit me well and I would think it would be really cool to work in Blizzard.  The company that made one of my favorite games ever, WoW, and I've been keeping track of most of the latest news and events they got going for their games.  I'm probably going to apply anyway (almost got a cover letter done) and hope for the best.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Applying for a job. Need some opinions here.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
Apply to a low level pos5.  Get you're foot in the door.  Ask to learn, take on other responsibilities.   Getting in the door is what you need to at least go for. Never shy away for trying 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Assuming you make it to interview stage, have a read through this thread.  I consider it my major contribution to DTF (and good god, I started it seven years ago):
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=8401.0

Also, definitely worth a shot, as the posting is quite ambiguous...you need a bachelor's degree, but also to currently be enrolled in college/university ("college" typically implies undergrad), and it's also addressed to "graduating students", not "graduate students".
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
^^ I certainly will read that if I land an interview opportunity.  I actually bookmarked that page.  As for the main subject, since as you stated, the description for requirements is a bit ambiguous, maybe the window is more open to me than I thought.  Maybe, I'll try to call Blizzard about that.  I will apply though and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:21:29 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »
Don't hesitate.   Apply.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I saw an offer from a gaming studio who was looking for a 2D artist.  It was in another city than where I live and I was lacking in the years of experience that they were asking, but the job seemed like exactly what I was looking for, so I applied. The next day I had a call to schedule an interview for the following week. In the end I didn't get the job, but it wasn't because of the lack of experience or a bad interview. It was because of the stylistic difference between what the company does and what I do. But at least I have no regrets over ''what if I had applied?''

Now I know that a Finance department probably doesn't work like an Art department, but at the end of the day the worst thing that can happen is that they don't call you. The best case is that you get an interview and they eventually hire you. So if you really feel like this is your dream job I think you should definitely go for it. And if you have any missing qualifications, just put forward your strenghts and explain how what you know can compensate for any shortcomings.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 07:31:53 AM »
Yeah, as others have said, definitely apply. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get a call. It might be a bit of stretch because it seems like they wrote the whole position description based on wanting to hire a grad student to do the job...But, you won't regret trying though it seems like you would probably regret not trying.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:17 AM »
I'd apply for sure. Associate positions come with a ton a leeway and are glorified internships in a lot of cases.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »
The worst thing that would happen is they say no. Go for it!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »
I'd apply for sure. Associate positions come with a ton a leeway and are glorified internships in a lot of cases.

I'll echo this, you never know what might happen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
ALWAYS APPLY. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jester

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
If you truly want it, then just apply.  Even if you don't get that job, they might offer you another position.

Don't be afraid to ask for feedback if you don't get the job.  Instead of asking "why didn't I get it?" ask "What steps could I take to improve my chances in the future?"  It is uncomfortable for the employer to say no, so the way you ask is important so instead of feeling like they are on defense, they are instead helping.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
If you truly want it, then just apply.  Even if you don't get that job, they might offer you another position.

This is a great point. When I applied to the place I'm currently working, I applied to one job in particular and actually got called in for interviews for three different positions (the one I applied for included).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 10:21:51 AM »

Don't be afraid to ask for feedback if you don't get the job.  Instead of asking "why didn't I get it?" ask "What steps could I take to improve my chances in the future?"  It is uncomfortable for the employer to say no, so the way you ask is important so instead of feeling like they are on defense, they are instead helping.

This is a great point. When I applied to the place I'm currently working, I applied to one job in particular and actually got called in for interviews for three different positions (the one I applied for included).

Wow, great points, all of it, especially these quoted, guys.  Thanks.  I gladly appreciate it.

Offline 7th

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Definitely apply.  Many employers appreciate enthusiasm and skill above academic status.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »
So, an update.  I think I got a good version of my cover letter. Well, it's slightly more than a page (one page and about 11 spaces) and I pretty much fit everything I want in there. Listed my intentions to apply and how I believe I would be a good fit for the company and how I can help them, mentioned two key class projects and how it relates to the job responsibilities, mentions me doing a Volunteer Tax program, where I help families prepare tax returns, and how I interact with clients, and mentions what games I am currently playing.

Is the cover letter length I have, atm, a bit too much, and how can I condense it if so?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
So, an update.  I think I got a good version of my cover letter. Well, it's slightly more than a page (one page and about 11 spaces) and I pretty much fit everything I want in there. Listed my intentions to apply and how I believe I would be a good fit for the company and how I can help them, mentioned two key class projects and how it relates to the job responsibilities, mentions me doing a Volunteer Tax program, where I help families prepare tax returns, and how I interact with clients, and mentions what games I am currently playing.

Is the cover letter length I have, atm, a bit too much, and how can I condense it if so?

DO NOT EVER send a cover letter more than one page, or a resume more than two pages.   You might get lucky and not have the rest thrown out, but many places do (or they electronically scan in the first x characters)   I've got 25 years of professional experience, as an engineer, project manager, and counsel, in three different industries (four actually):  construction, environmental remediation, real estate, and manufacturing (Including rail).  I can fit everything into a one page cover letter and a two page resume. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Stadler.  And unless you were applying for something in game design/testing (which you aren't), or unless they asked, I would not mention what games you play.  The type of position you are applying for is very corporate and professional.  I could be wrong, but I think that if you play up the game side of it at all, they will hold it against you and view you as immature and not really understanding what the position is about.  This is kinda tricky, but you have to show that you understand their business, not simply that you like to play their games. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:45 PM »
It's hard to avoid talking about what games I am playing when they mentioned this in the posting.

"Passion for video games, especially Blizzard products and MMORPGs." and to include this in the cover letter, "Why you are interested in working at Blizzard. What games you are currently playing."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
Okay, well if they asked for it, different story.  You absolutely should mention it then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 10:13:34 AM »
Yeah, definitely agreed on cover letters being not more than a page...and not being a single page wall of text.  Less is more.  Frankly, i don't even see what their use is.

Also agree on resumes not being more than two pages.  If it's more than two pages, it's a CV...and I'll be honest, I get annoyed with CVs that don't start listing publications after the first two pages (if I worked in academia, I'd feel differently, but this is industry, and relevance matters a whole lot more than comprehensively listing everything you've ever thought about for more than five minutes).

Based on an experience a couple of days ago, I may need to resurrect the Interviewing thread, got a couple of additions to make.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
When it come to the resume, keep it short and to the most important/applicable stuff. Wrap it up with a "more information about past experience available upon request".

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
When it come to the resume, keep it short and to the most important/applicable stuff. Wrap it up with a "more information about past experience available upon request".

Then"upon request" thing, whether for additional info or for references, is generally frowned upon.  Better to hit the high points of each position, and be economical in your wording.  And relevance is key...you can customize your resume for each position you're applying for, there is no rule about one-size-fits-all.  Really, a smartly-constructed, efficiently-worded resume that captures the important stuff is way better than something comprehensive.

I suggest following the "mini-skirt" rule:  It should be long enough to cover the essentials, but be short enough to be interesting.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
Well, I just submitted my application to Blizzard.  I think it's as well constructed as it can be.  Now for the waiting game.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
I applied as well, may the best man win.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »
^^ Oh cripes, there's no way I can stack up well against you.  At least, if they hold potlucks, you can whip up something amazing for them. I can't do something like that.......

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 11:11:13 PM »
I applied as well, may the best man win.
You can cook the meals, he can cook the books.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
Well, got the automated rejection letter.  That sucks, but if Blizzard has another position in finance/accounting, that fits well with me, I can always try again.  Anyway, thanks you guys for the advice regarding cover letters/resumes.  I really appreciate it and I think I got a better grasp of how to format those than when I started with the whole wanting to do apply to Blizzard.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Well props to putting yourself out there! :tup

Offline Jester

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
I'd take your experience and apply to just about every similar position (different companies) out there.  Odds are, you will get a ton of rejection letters.  I did that for what was a compromise of my dream job (music field indirectly).  Tons of automated "sorry not looking to fill that position right now".  But even though I had a pile of rejection letters, I got a phone call and invitation to meet at the NAMM show to discuss a job that would take me all over the world (mainly to Pacific Asia).  I actually knew the person that had become the CEO and they liked what they saw.

Not to relate it too close to me because I turned it down because everybody that had a "secure job" convinced me not to waste my life in the very tumultuous music-related industry.  Meanwhile, that company went from a niche small time, Hollywood Blvd. outfit to one of the biggies in the music gear industry.  Even though I did ok the other route, I probably would have had much more fun the other route.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
Well, got the automated rejection letter.  That sucks, but if Blizzard has another position in finance/accounting, that fits well with me, I can always try again.  Anyway, thanks you guys for the advice regarding cover letters/resumes.  I really appreciate it and I think I got a better grasp of how to format those than when I started with the whole wanting to do apply to Blizzard.

Follow up, ask for feedback from them, etc...

Learn from it and keep applying. For a field like finance, your first job might not be for your dream company (I'm assuming Blizzard would be that for you). You might have to take a position in finance at a company that isn't as "cool" in your mind, in order to gain experience for one that you think is.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
^^ Here's an interesting twist, I did try to ask for feedback to that email address they used to send those emails, but it's one of those emails that doesn't take responses.

Anywho, yeah, the way I'm thinking about it more, the more that I will have to take a position in finance/accounting for a company that may not be an ideal fit for me.  I still would want to try applying for companies like Blizzard/Live Nation/AEG Live, but I may have to wait a few more years and get more experience.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 10:56:16 AM »
Anywho, yeah, the way I'm thinking about it more, the more that I will have to take a position in finance/accounting for a company that may not be an ideal fit for me.  I still would want to try applying for companies like Blizzard/Live Nation/AEG Live, but I may have to wait a few more years and get more experience.

Right on, sometimes you have to take a job that might not be ideal, but because you have your eye on the bigger picture and that job could help you get the "next" job.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 01:58:28 PM »
It might be just me, but I don't really put a lot of stock in "industry".  To me, a company isn't a good fit because they DO something, they are a good fit because of HOW they do what they do.