Author Topic: Storing Vintage Rock Posters  (Read 919 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Storing Vintage Rock Posters
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
No I am not talking about some of the vintage posters around here  ;D

We're packing up for a house move in the near future and once again I have stumbled onto a whole load of memorabilia that I had pretty much forgotten about. And I have finally decided that I am going to do something about my posters.

Back in the 90's (in addition to a few of my own)  I bought one of the largest collections around of vintage Van Halen posters from someone close to the band ...........I am guessing something like 30-40 full size wall posters , as new,  from the Roth era (1978-1984)   Aside from a few that I block mounted (goodbye value) the rest have remained in tubes .

I have done some Googling but happy to hear some opinions if anyone has any experience.   I figure it is a huge waste having them all in tubes , so looking for a way to flatten them out and store them in acid free clear envelopes or something so they can be stored flat and easily accessed for a look when I want to display them without going to the expense of 40 frames with UV resistant plexi.

The name Mylar (polyester sleeves) seems to be popping up a lot in my research.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:05:13 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Re: Storing Vintage Rock Posters
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:25:36 AM »
All my old posters from 20 odd years ago, I always got them laminated and that has preserved them very well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 02:40:12 AM »
Laminating is similar to block mounting - looks great and preserves the look but destroys any collectible value.  I have a number that I have block mounted but some of these ones cost me a bit and  I have never seen them anywhere else.  They are part of one of the bigger VH memorabilia collections in the world , so I would preferably like to store them in a way that retains their collectible value.

A local supermarket around here sells cheapo $15 black wall poster size (24" * 36")  frames - might be better just to do that for now and protect them from light when not on display....need to look into the backing though as that seems to be the most important thing (can't use the cardboard that comes with it) and then you need to try and avoid contact with the glass.  I was thinking of things like polypropylene/polyester envelopes and then into one of those flat file drawers as a space saver and ideal preservation medium , but it may all be too much mucking about.   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:06:58 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:44:00 AM »
Interesting subject, please let us know what you decide.
A friend of mine gave me a small envelope which his grand dad acquired in Germany after WW2, as a gift cause he knows I'm a history buff. It's a little badge the Wehrmacht gave for the wounded.
Problem is his dad had it locked away in a closet since forever and I only handled the envelope twice and it started to fall apart as you see here, now I'm just keeping it in a book until I find a way to preserve it. The badge itself is metal so it's fine.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 09:18:31 AM »
No I am not talking about some of the vintage posters around here  ;D

We're packing up for a house move in the near future and once again I have stumbled onto a whole load of memorabilia that I had pretty much forgotten about. And I have finally decided that I am going to do something about my posters.

Back in the 90's (in addition to a few of my own)  I bought one of the largest collections around of vintage Van Halen posters from someone close to the band ...........I am guessing something like 30-40 full size wall posters , as new,  from the Roth era (1978-1984)   Aside from a few that I block mounted (goodbye value) the rest have remained in tubes .

I have done some Googling but happy to hear some opinions if anyone has any experience.   I figure it is a huge waste having them all in tubes , so looking for a way to flatten them out and store them in acid free clear envelopes or something so they can be stored flat and easily accessed for a look when I want to display them without going to the expense of 40 frames with UV resistant plexi.

The name Mylar (polyester sleeves) seems to be popping up a lot in my research.

The vast majority of my posters are rolled up in poster tubes in the closet. (I feel like that's a waste too to the point where I started to sell some of them.)  I do use the UV resistant for some of my favorite framed posters and the rest I have framed in Michael's frames. I also tend to rotate posters in and out of frames from time to time.

When I've gone to record shows I've noticed that some vendors display posters in huge plastic bags with cardboard in between to keep the posters flat. While that makes it easy to see each poster that doesn't seem very attractive to me, but it makes sense that way to keep the posters protected. That sounds similar to what you seem to be leaning toward doing with them.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
What I have done is gotten those 24x36 plastic frames, and put acid free scrapbooking paper on the back of the mounting cardboard. Then put the poster on top of the acid free paper. Takes a little more effort, but the posters are decently protected at a reasonable price. And some of the cardboard these days is treated, and won't eat away posters like back years ago. So you may be in the clear going that route.

But if you want to be safe, get that acid free scrapbooking paper. Then a roll of acid free scotch tape. Tape the paper to the cardboard, and as I said, lay the poster on top of it. You should be good to go.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
What I have done is gotten those 24x36 plastic frames, and put acid free scrapbooking paper on the back of the mounting cardboard. Then put the poster on top of the acid free paper. Takes a little more effort, but the posters are decently protected at a reasonable price. And some of the cardboard these days is treated, and won't eat away posters like back years ago. So you may be in the clear going that route.

But if you want to be safe, get that acid free scrapbooking paper. Then a roll of acid free scotch tape. Tape the paper to the cardboard, and as I said, lay the poster on top of it. You should be good to go.

That's a great idea. I'm going to try that.