Author Topic: The Saga of Orbert's Band (now with A New Development)  (Read 82060 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Saga of Orbert's Band (consolidated)
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2016, 08:32:08 PM »
Did you get Separate Ways worked out?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »
Yes!  We're doing the song, with the correct harmonies and everything.  If we play, that is.

We have another gig scheduled for two weeks later, another gratis gig.  It's another charity fundraiser thing, so I shouldn't really complain, but damn, it would be nice to actually get paid some time.  I love to play, and I do consider myself fortunate to be able to rock out with some good musicians and make people happy, but it is a lot of work, too, so even the $50 apiece we're supposed to get for this block party is nice, and makes it all worth it.  Not sure how many more freebies I have left in me.  Good practice blah blah blah good exposure blah blah blah charity fundraiser blah blah blah give me some fucking money, okay?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
The long-awaited debut of Orbert's Almost-Band (now an actual Band) got rained out.  Shit.

It rained on and off all day Thursday and Friday, and Saturday was looking better, but not guaranteed.  We were to start at 8PM, but had to make a call by Noon whether or not we would risk it.  Easily $10K worth of gear set up in the middle of the street with no protection from the elements, it would all be at risk if a sudden storm came through.  As of Noon, it was still raining, and the best-case scenario had things clearing up by late afternoon and staying dry throughout the evening, but that didn't look likely at all.  Worst-case and everything in between included rain.

As it turned out, things did clear up by about 5:00.  If we could've set up in three hours, in dwindling light and on wet pavement, we could've played after all.  But we called it off, and it was the right decision at the time, based on the information available.

The world will have to wait just a little longer to experience our awesomeness.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
What is "Orbert's Almost Band"? It sounds cool.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »

Just a silly nickname I came up with a while back.  This band has gone through many, many personnel changes, and it's still less than two years old.  We're a band, I mean we have singers, all instruments covered, all that, but we have yet to play a paying gig.  We did a few gratis gigs last summer, just prior to our latest implosion and subsequent restructuring.  I haven't done the math, but it's entirely possible that we've spent more total time missing at least one position than we have at full strength.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »

Just a silly nickname I came up with a while back.  This band has gone through many, many personnel changes, and it's still less than two years old.  We're a band, I mean we have singers, all instruments covered, all that, but we have yet to play a paying gig.  We did a few gratis gigs last summer, just prior to our latest implosion and subsequent restructuring.  I haven't done the math, but it's entirely possible that we've spent more total time missing at least one position than we have at full strength.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2016, 08:38:01 PM »
Well damn, it looks like we're actually gonna play this Sunday.

For those not following along (which is pretty much everybody, since this has gone on for so fucking long), the core of the band, the two guitarists and myself, have been together since last year.  We've gone through singers, drummers, and bassists, and all the personnel changes kept setting us back as far as getting songs put together, but we have 25 songs, and we're gonna see how many we get through.  No, it's not yet enough to play the bars, but it is enough for a two-hour thing.  A Sunday afternoon charity motorcycle ride to benefit the local animal shelter ("Hogs for Dogs"), a 90 minute ride out to a bar in the far northern suburbs, where we'll be set up.  The riders will get free food and reduced prices on drinks, and we'll be providing the music.

Stupid things that could not be helped:
  • This is the Chicago suburbs, it is the Bears' opening day, and it's versus the Packers.  As it happens, this bar is basically right between Chicago and Green Bay.  As you might guess, it is a huge rivalry.
  • They want us to start at 2:30.  This is idiotic because the game starts at Noon and won't be over yet.  The riders will start showing up between 1:30 and 2:30, and the whole timetable was set up before anyone realized that it's the day of the home opener.  But they didn't want to change anything because all the posters were printed and timetables were sent out.  I can't even imagine someone telling us to start playing if the game is still going, but they said they'll have it on the TVs and just turn the sound down so we can play.  Um, okay.
  • As with our previous "debut gig", which got rained out, scattered showers are in the forecast for Sunday, and this is an outdoor gig.  Unlike the last gig, they have some kind of contingency plan; we set up inside if it looks like it'll rain.  The exciting thing of course is that this is Chicago.  Everything could look fine, we set up, then rain moves in before we start playing, or perhaps after we start.  Yeah, that could be fun.
  • But it won't matter because from what we've heard, the riders will eat some burgers or sandwiches, drink some beer, then leave.  Our challenge therefore is to actually be good enough to get them to stay and listen.
Our third gig if you count the two from last summer and still no payday, but this is a pretty nice place and apparently it's a huge deal to play there.  Just to be able to say you've played there gives you some cred, so what the fuck, let's rock and roll.  I'm looking forward to just playing somewhere other than the basement.

Pictures to follow, if we actually pull this off.  I'm still not quite believing it's happening.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2016, 08:38:17 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
For those not following along (which is pretty much everybody, since this has gone on for so fucking long)

Hey now, this real life Spinal Tap saga is the very backbone of this thread! :tup

Good luck for the gig, Orb! I hope it all goes as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys.  I guess it wasn't the best choice of phrase; I know some people have been following along, but this really has been a ridiculous journey, and I recently referred to this band as an "almost-band" due to us spending nearly as much time without a full lineup (including several months without a lead singer) as we have with one, and someone asked for clarification.  So I was trying to jokingly refer to the fact that I felt the need to recap.

Finally getting to play that first gig is a great thing, and with all the lineup changes, this is a new band with a new name, so we're calling it our first gig.

We practiced Tuesday night because we couldn't get together over Labor Day weekend, and by time we were done (pushing 10:00 PM after working all day on a Tuesday that felt like a Monday) I was pretty wiped.  John asked if I wanted to just leave my piano there at his house, and he'll load it up with all the P.A. gear and his own stuff and bring it tomorrow.  At the time, it sounded like a good idea.  After running through all the songs again, I had them down.  I still do, but it's gonna kill me all day today to not run through them all one more time for tomorrow.  I'll practice my saxophone solos.  That'll be a real treat for my wife and daughter, who will be home today.  I'll have the tunes on my headphones, so all they'll hear will be saxophone solos, over and over.  If they're smart, they'll go shopping or something.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »
  • They want us to start at 2:30.  This is idiotic because the game starts at Noon and won't be over yet.  The riders will start showing up between 1:30 and 2:30, and the whole timetable was set up before anyone realized that it's the day of the home opener.  But they didn't want to change anything because all the posters were printed and timetables were sent out.  I can't even imagine someone telling us to start playing if the game is still going, but they said they'll have it on the TVs and just turn the sound down so we can play.  Um, okay.

Oh god i hope it works out, especially this part.  We have done a couple of gigs where we've had to play through a big game, and its never fun, especially if there's a bar full of people wanting to watch.  If the bar has any common sense they'll let the game run first.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
Incredible.  In-fucking-credible.

Our drummer, JT, called John at 8:00 this morning, said he was in pain, probably a kidney stone, thought he could play the gig anyway.  Called him back at 10:00 from the ER, pain was so excrutiating that he couldn't move.  No way he could play the gig today.  Some phone calls around, and there was no drummer who could just jump in and play with us today, no one available anyway.  Our singer Anne's boyfriend Brian has a band, which she also sings background vocals with, and they covered the gig.  The only way it could work was if Steve and John headed over there with the P.A. and stuff, and Steve ran sound.  It was 10:30 by time the decision was made, and they had to come in from far and wide.  There was no way they could be there in time to set up the P.A. and everything else, and start in time.

I had left my house a little after 10:00 AM, allowing an hour out to the place.  We were going to set up between 11:00 and 11:30.  It was close to 11:00 when I hit the gas station a few blocks from the bar, used the bathroom, and checked my phone.  A missed call, a voicemail, two emails, and several texts.  Uh-oh.  The whole saga.  The voicemail from John had come ten minutes after I'd left my house; now I'm a few blocks from the bar.  So I just went over anyway.  Helped set up the P.A., talked with the other guys, met the other band (I'd met Brian before a few times) as they showed up one by one over the next few hours, and stayed for the first hour or so of them playing.  They weren't horrible, though not great, but they sounded as good as they were going to because of Steve's killer P.A.  Had a truly disgusting chicken sandwich, threw part of it away.

So our contribution was the P.A. I guess.  Rockus (the other band) played, so the event had tunes.  At least we got someone to cover the gig.  I'm just bummed, and still a little bit in disbelief, that once again, our debut gig was cancelled and we didn't play one way or another.  It's like the music gods hate us.

It's been over a year since the previous "stable" lineup, Oh Zone, played a gig.  The new lineup, FlashDrive, is yet to play.  The plan was to get these two gigs under our belts, there was going to be a photographer there, and we were going to get some video and audio, too, for the website and Facebook page, and we would start looking at putting together the third set, so we'd truly be ready to start playing out.  Now, we still have to do all that, but we haven't played out yet, and we have no promotional materials.  And since we didn't play the two gigs, we didn't exactly score any new connections, either.

Shit.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
Seriously, your drummer ends up in the ER on the day of your gig? What are the odds? Your band is clearly cursed! :lol

At least he didn't die, or else my Spinal Tap comment earlier may have been too scary. :|

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2016, 10:48:14 AM »
It is truly incredible.  I am so ready to play.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
Your band is clearly cursed!

My first thought!  Jesus, sorry to hear that Orbert.  That is truly unbelievable. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
The ongoing drama/trauma of Orbert's almost-band continues...

After our second non-debut a few weeks ago, our fearless leader John emailed a list of seven (seven!) potential gigs he'd drummed up.  Ranging from 10 miles away to nearly 30, mostly playing for the door, but hell, at this point we'll take anything we can get.  We have to get out there, get some experience playing, get some pictures, audio, and video, and hopefully make a connection or two.

JT was the first to reply.  He's out of town for three of the seven dates.  As you may recall, JT (drummer) was the one who got a kidney stone the day of our second attempt at a debut.  Obviously that could not be helped, but still, that's the first thing that came to my mind.

So this past Saturday, the 26th, was our next practice.  Full run-through of both sets, in preparation for the one gig of the seven which actually panned out (some were just too far away for shit pay, some had other date conflicts).  Also, John's wife Kay has a nice camera and a bit of photography experience, so she's gonna take some posed group pictures after practice, just so we have something for the web site and Facebook page.  John send out an email with all these details, and also some guidelines on what clothes to bring, etc.

I go clothes shopping and bring my wife along since I have no idea what looks "cool".  I'm 50something years old, an aging rocker, who must somehow get up on stage and look like a rocker without looking ridiculous.  We find some nice shirts that she assures me will look very cool with black jeans and my extremely Asian appearance.  :orbert:

Friday night at 10 fucking PM, JT sends an email, and just to make sure we all get it, a group text telling everyone to check their email.  He got his dates mixed up and is flying out Saturday morning, not Sunday.  Oops.

That's it.  No apologies -- although I'm not sure what's left after his literally four or five apologies for the kidney stone, which he couldn't help -- and no actual statement that he won't be able to make the practice, although that was obviously implied.  Just that he got the dates mixed up and he will be flying out in the morning.

Anne (singer) had gotten her hair and nails done, because of the pictures.  Kay (John's hot wife) had rearranged her work schedule to be available that day to take pictures.  She's a realtor and Saturday is normally a very busy day for her.  We have all been practicing.  The night before, all JT can say is "Oops".

JT got his dates mixed up.  JT got a kidney stone.  JT had already missed the last two practices and now this one, which has not just inconvenienced others but also cost them money.  JT recently dropped some of his other commitments so he'd have more time for the band, but was the first to get three of seven potential gigs crossed off the list because he's out of town.  JT is in the proverbial doghouse.

John is beyond disappointed, and beyond pissed.  I had a long phone conversation with him, and he's going to talk to JT about the band and his level of commitment to it.  I am, as always, thankful that that's his job and not mine.  I love to play, I want to play, but this is still just a hobby for me.  If it falls apart, I'll be bummed, but not heartbroken.  For John, this is his dream.  He's put a lot of money, time, and effort into this band, getting it going, keeping it somehow going despite all the shit that's come our way, from within and without, and he's not a quitter.  He's finding us gigs, just working independently as our manager, without an agent, with no experience at it, just through effort and perservenence.  I genuinely feel sorry for the guy.

After our phone call making sure a few things were in order and that I was available on certain dates, John sent out an email with two practice dates.  We have to do weeknights because we're out of weekends (the gig is Oct 10 and we can't practice Oct 3), the practices will be Oct 6 and Oct 8, please let him know as soon as possible if there are conflicts.  He did not say that the practices are "required" or "mandatory" because that was implied.

Next week we have two weeknight practices, and a gig on Saturday.  Third time's the charm?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »
Wow, man, that sucks.  Hope everything turns out OK.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2016, 10:49:36 AM »
Sounds like your band needs a new drummer.
Although that's honestly a lot easier for me to say than you guys. It seems like he is only creating problems, headaches and stress, but I imagine things used to be fine if he is still in the band. Hopefully this is just a phase and everything will go back to normal soon because I would imagine this takes a lot of fun out of your hobby with all the drama going on.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »
He is an excellent drummer.  He is experienced, as we all are, and rock-solid when it comes to keeping time.  He came in on the recommendation of Steve (guitar) and has shown that he knows probably thousands of songs.  Learning new ones takes time, of course, but fortunately we've stuck mostly to tried-and-true bar standards for now.

He is also busy as hell much of the time.  He owns and/or runs three businesses, one of which was recently demoted from "owning and running" to merely "owning" because he had too many things on his plate.  He actually wrote an email to the rest of the band a few months ago apologizing for how distracted he's been and how he has so much going on, and he's cut back on his commitments and promised to be much more there for us in the future.  Then John manages to find seven gigs for us, and we can't even consider three of them because JT is out of town those dates.  So much for minimizing distractions.

This whole experience has been very interesting for me.  When you're kids in school, your bandmates are your friends, guys you've known for years.  There's already a bond, and already a level of commitment both to your friends and to the band.  What we're doing now is merely a business arrangement.  I like the other guys in the band, but it's on the "co-workers who you get along with" level, not "dudes I've known since grade school" level.  We don't get together and hang out much, we don't call each other on the phone or chat just to chat.  It's business.  And it's weird for me because I've never been in a band like this.

So if after talking with JT, John decides that we need a new drummer, I'll be bummed, but not crushed or anything.  I like JT alright, but if he's holding us back, we are probably better off with someone else.  That "someone else" may not turn out to be any better, but he may.  As with anything else, it's about weighing cost/benefit.  Another personnel change will cost us the time to get the new guy up to speed.  The benefit is ending up with a (hopefully) better drummer.  "Better" meaning many things, not just playing.  Being available for practices and gigs is starting to weigh big.  Right now I'd settle for anyone who can keep time and make it to practices and gigs.

And something which is also in the mix is that we basically "stole" our lead singer Anne from another band.  She was singing with an actual working band.  Yeah, they kinda sucked, and she knew it, so after months of discussion and ass-kissing, John was able to convince her that she's rotting on the vine with the other band, and with us she can really go places.  And six months ago (holy shit, has it been that long?!) she starting working with us and was blown away by our level of musicianship.  And we are good, if I do say so myself.

But after all this shit and we still haven't played a single gig yet, I wouldn't blame her if she said "You know what?  I gave you guys a chance.  I quit a gigging band that still wants me back*, and I have gigs singing backgrounds with my boyfriend's band.  I don't need you."  I wouldn't blame her at all.  If we decide to look for a new drummer, and that causes our lead singer to quit, then we're really, truly fucked.

*In an ironic twist, her old band auditioned and eventually hired Karen, our old singer.  Then Karen quit, just as she quit our band, with basically no notice.  They had gigs booked, so they begged Anne to do those gigs with them, and since we weren't doing anything, she agreed.  Also, they got rid of the one guy who sucked the hardest, and now they're better.  It would actually be a good move for her to get back with them at this point.  I just hope she doesn't figure that out.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »
Wow man.  This whole situation is almost unbelievable.  I really feel for you.  I know how hard it is to get gigs booked, and what it feels like when one guy lets the team down.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
This Saturday, we're going to try it again.  We're going to attempt a debut gig.  Our first attempted debut got rained out; our second attempt was cancelled when our drummer JT ended up in the ER with a kidney stone.  Third time's the charm, right?

It's a semi-crappy gig, to be honest.  A sports bar 15 miles from here will have the Blackhawks game, and they want a band to play from whenever the game ends (around 10:30) until closing time.  We'll only have time for two sets, which is fine because that's all we have anyway.  I'm sure it's gonna be one of those situations where the owner won't want to hear a sound while the game is still going, then expect us to start immediately and sound perfect without a sound check.  Our sound check will be the first couple of songs.

We're running through the first set Tuesday night, the second set Thursday night.  I hate evening practices, but this is what we have to work with.  I'm taking Friday off of work to prepare myself mentally and physically.

Ha ha, just kidding.  I had Friday off already anyway.

The first time, I was wired, so excited to be playing a live gig.  But as the week went on and we watched the weather forecasts, I had to keep my hopes guarded, and ultimately was disappointed but not surprised when we were rained out.  The second one, I'd actually driven out there before I found out the situation, then stayed and hung around the board with Steve and John because why not (also, the waitress in our section was... damn!)

I find myself not excited about this at all.  I honestly cannot get excited about something which, in my mind, may or may not happen.  Saturday night, if I get there, we set up, nothing catastrophic happens, and we play, great.  I will play, I'll do all the things on stage that I'm supposed to do, and I'll kick ass.  But I can't help feeling that someone's fucking with me.  I will not get my hopes up again.

So I'm on Facebook, checking to see who's going to our Event (I manage the band Facebook page), and I see that four Friends are going and four Others are going.  That's kinda weird; I thought the other five members of the band had at least clicked that they were going.  I look and see that JT, our drummer, is no longer a Friend.  What?  I click, go to his page, and nope, we're not Friends.  It lists Friends we have in common, which include Karen and Mike (the husband-wife team who quit) and some other guys we both know, but neither myself nor anyone else currently in the band is Friends with him anymore.  Apparently he had a hissy fit and un-Friended all of us.

Oh, the drama!  Oh, the humanity!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
Best of luck, mate. Hopefully no issues this time. Maybe Orbert's Almost Band will become Orbert's Actually a Band Band.   ;D

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
EDIT: Just read until the end of the post, which I didn't before - was in a rush to go somewhere. This guy seems like a butt.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
I just got off the phone with Steve.  JT is apparently going through some serious shit right now.  Like, he and the girlfriend broke up, he moved out kind of shit.  I said maybe he got "breakup drunk" and went on a Facebook rampage, deleting Friends and stuff.  He said No, he'd talked to him, and he's in the middle of creating a new Facebook persona.  Also, he doesn't drink.  Well okay, but kinda weird that he'd specifically un-Friend the other members of the band and keep everyone else.

Also, significant drama is brewing with Anne, our lead singer, who is showing signs of advanced psychosis.  Clearly, this is just what we need right now.

Practice is tonight.  This gonna be good.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
i really hope this all works out for you. i know whats it's like to want to get somewhere in band and having other people in the band hampering things regularly. nothing to this extreme, but it can get very frustrating very fast.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
Also, significant drama is brewing with Anne, our lead singer, who is showing signs of advanced psychosis.  Clearly, this is just what we need right now.
No, no, you're looking at this all wrong.

Every good singer is crazy.  This is just what you need!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2016, 11:00:13 AM »
I'm starting to believe that.  I've worked with a number of singers over the years, and in general, the better they were, the crazier they were.  Unfortunately, this also meant that they were harder to work with.  Finding a balance is key, as with all things.

Steve texted me this morning, saying that Anne was burning up his phone again.  She has a lot of comments about how things went last night at practice.  I told him I think it's great that the two of them have such and open, honest rapport going.  (And by that I mean it's great that it's the two of them and I am not one of them.)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
Ha ha, I may not have been entirely clear.  Her comments were not positive.  I'm glad I'm not the recipient of her outbursts.

She has plenty of critique for what everyone else is doing, but when it comes to her, if there's something she's not singing correctly, it's "I'm having trouble feeling this song.  I don't really like it."

Well shit, we all have songs that we don't really like.  But we play them because other people love them and they're in the set list, the set list that we all agreed to.  So suck it up and do your fucking job.

My remark to Steve had two sides, though.  Steve and Anne have not always gotten along.  For a while, they were ready to kill each other.  But they got together for lunch and drinks on a day off, and had a long talk about the band, music, etc., and now they have a pretty good rapport.  So I was telling Steve that it's great that they're talking and stuff, but really I'm just glad it's not me.  I still get to hear all about it from Steve, so it's not really that much better. :p

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
By the sounds of it, I should be glad I'm a solo musician. This band shit sounds tiring  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
This is easily the most drama I've ever dealt with in a band.  Most bands I've been in have gotten along pretty well, because we were friends first.  We were in a band together because we knew each other and liked each other first.  This band was formed via Internet searches, and is people from all different backgrounds.  We don't have the bond.  But we all have experience in bands, and know how it needs to work; it just doesn't quite feel the same and I don't think it's a conscious thing that it doesn't work.

Also, we all have lives and jobs and other commitments, so it's not like when you're 20 and the band is your life.  This is just a hobby.  It's supposed to be fun.  And it is, once we start playing.  It's just getting to that point that's a pain.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
We did it!  We fucking did it!  We played a gig!

Getting ready for the second set.  Steve checking the talkbox, as we open the set with "Rocky Mountain Way".  Me watching the babes playing darts over in the corner.  They were there most of the night.  The one, Corinne, was pretty hot.  She came over and talked to me and stuff, introduced herself and her friend (I don't remember her friend's name) and kinda kept me company throughout the show.  It's cool when you get to interact with people in the audience, cooler still when they're babes.  Corinne gave me a hug at the end of the night, said I was awesome.  Damn, I've missed doing this.

We were not flawless, but we were pretty damned good, especially for a debut, and missing our singer for rehearsal the other night (meaning we never did get a full run-through of the second set).  Also no sound check.  The owner was a real dick.  But... owners.

A new chapter.  I'm so psyched.  It's 2:45 AM and I just got home from the bar.  An actual paying gig, first in over 30 years.  Okay, we only made $10 each, but a gig's a gig.  We played for the door, and for friends and significant others, and for fun, and for experience playing, and so some agent named Bob Something could come see us (he did, and he said he was impressed, so that's cool).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake