Author Topic: The Saga of Orbert's Band (now with A New Development)  (Read 83239 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Saga of Orbert's Band (consolidated)
« Reply #350 on: November 22, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »
It's okay.  As I'd mentioned, the way things were scheduled, we wouldn't have had a chance to talk much anyway, if at all.  There's one guy from my church who comes to most of our gigs, mostly because he doesn't have a life, and I felt kinda bad for basically blowing him off.  As I suspected, we spent most of the time beforehand getting things unloaded and staged, then we had half an hour for both the previous band to exit and us to get set up, plus sound check (we made it in about 40 minutes), then two hours no break.  After we finished, he came up to me and said we were great, but he had to get going because he worked in the morning.  I got the distinct impression that he stuck around just because he wanted to say something and didn't want to leave before we finished, but he bailed almost immediately.

And man, once we finished, it was the same thing, get our shit off the stage as fast as possible.  I took the time to pack mine up and take it to the car (I scored rock star parking right across the street) because I knew once I sat down, I didn't know when I was gonna get up again.

Would've been nice to see you, but really, don't feel too bad.  Next time.  Mike and Diane from Sammy's were there, they raved a lot, and they want us back again.  Looks like we're getting really popular out in the booming metropolis of Huntley, Illinois.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #351 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
Remember how I said I still love the outdoor gigs the best?  Man, I was starting to seriously reconsider that last night.

A private gig, backyard party for which we were each paid $100.  Six piece band, do the math; these people have a little money.  97 degrees out, no breeze, and threat of storms coming later.  We get there and yeah, it's big backyard.  A bunch of 8x4 plywood sheets laid on the ground is our "stage", covered by a big tent, roomy enough, but with the back and sides down, no air.  Step 1, before setting anything up, get those back and side curtains up.  Ah, a little bit of air at least, though there was still virtually no breeze.

Deck on the back of the house has steps coming down into the yard and also connects over to the deck surrounding the pool off to the right.  Really one big deck, actually.  Little kids' play area with some climbers past that.  Tables and chairs, most under tents, some out in the open, more or less in front of us and to the left.

These folks throw a big backyard party every summer and invite all the neighbors, so there were maybe 30 or 40 people when we got there, with more arriving as time went on.  Probably 100 or so total, with people coming and going.  This year's party is extra special, because their daughter graduated from high school, so it's also a graduation party for her.  This is good to know because there are half a dozen very pretty young ladies in tiny little dresses and other things you wear when it's 97 degrees out, and since they're the grad and her friends, they're all 18 (or close enough) so it's okay to look.  (It would have been impossible not to, but it's good to know it's okay.)

Three sets, 70-75 minutes each, so four hours with breaks.  Somehow we survived the first set, during which it was hot as fuck.  That's the only way to describe it.  I survived by doing the same thing I do at every gig, which is stand in my corner with my 20-inch fan leaning on an amp up at me while I play and watch the babes.  You know how 18-year-olds sometimes look like they're still in junior high, but sometimes like they could pass for 25?  This one brunette was absolutely stunning, the "looks much older" type not just in looks but in the way she carried herself, clearly the leader of this little group.  Of course, it turns out that she's the guest of honor.  Also a 4.0 honor student and a very nice young lady overall.

Her favorite band is Twenty One Pilots, so we learned and played "House of Gold" just for her, and opened the second set with it.  It was also the birthday of Joe, one of the neighbors, and another neighbor also named Joe had his birthday this week, so we played "Birthday" by The Beatles next, continuing the "hey let's celebrate things" theme, which seemed to raise spirits a bit.  People seemed to like us, but it was hot as fuck, so not much dancing or anything.  Mostly people sitting under tents drinking and trying to have a good time.  By the end of the second set, the sun was down and it was starting to cool off a little, so that helped.

Second break, we're all checking the radar on our phones and stuff, and the storms which were forecast are definitely on their way, though it looks like they might veer north.  Clouds roll in, and suddenly the air temperature drops and the wind comes up, both very noticeably.  The storm front is here.  We're either going to suddenly get wet, or we're just going to enjoy the breeze and the fact that it's now only about 80 degrees out, which is still kinda warm but feels heavenly compared to five minutes ago.

It did not rain.  The third set was amazing.  Cooler now and with a breeze, people were up and dancing.  People were eating, and all that drinking they were doing earlier to try and stay cool was hitting them pretty good.  The place completely came to life.  In a far corner, some guys were doing bong hits.  And at some point, the graduate and her friends decided it was time to hit the pool.  Remember how the deck to the pool is just off to my right, maybe 20 feet away?  These are times when you know that there is a God.  I have seen proof!  I mean, go ahead and use your imagination, but it will not exceed what passed before my eyes, many times in fact.

So another rough start, but by the end, again, I'm thinking yeah, I still love outdoor gigs the best.  :xbones

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #352 on: November 22, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »

Remember how I said I still love the outdoor gigs the best?  Man, I was starting to seriously reconsider that last night.

A private gig, backyard party for which we were each paid $100.  Six piece band, do the math; these people have a little money.  97 degrees out, no breeze, and threat of storms coming later.  We get there and yeah, it's big backyard.  A bunch of 8x4 plywood sheets laid on the ground is our "stage", covered by a big tent, roomy enough, but with the back and sides down, no air.  Step 1, before setting anything up, get those back and side curtains up.  Ah, a little bit of air at least, though there was still virtually no breeze.

Deck on the back of the house has steps coming down into the yard and also connects over to the deck surrounding the pool off to the right.  Really one big deck, actually.  Little kids' play area with some climbers past that.  Tables and chairs, most under tents, some out in the open, more or less in front of us and to the left.

These folks throw a big backyard party every summer and invite all the neighbors, so there were maybe 30 or 40 people when we got there, with more arriving as time went on.  Probably 100 or so total, with people coming and going.  This year's party is extra special, because their daughter graduated from high school, so it's also a graduation party for her.  This is good to know because there are half a dozen very pretty young ladies in tiny little dresses and other things you wear when it's 97 degrees out, and since they're the grad and her friends, they're all 18 (or close enough) so it's okay to look.  (It would have been impossible not to, but it's good to know it's okay.)

Three sets, 70-75 minutes each, so four hours with breaks.  Somehow we survived the first set, during which it was hot as fuck.  That's the only way to describe it.  I survived by doing the same thing I do at every gig, which is stand in my corner with my 20-inch fan leaning on an amp up at me while I play and watch the babes.  You know how 18-year-olds sometimes look like they're still in junior high, but sometimes like they could pass for 25?  This one brunette was absolutely stunning, the "looks much older" type not just in looks but in the way she carried herself, clearly the leader of this little group.  Of course, it turns out that she's the guest of honor.  Also a 4.0 honor student and a very nice young lady overall.

Her favorite band is Twenty One Pilots, so we learned and played "House of Gold" just for her, and opened the second set with it.  It was also the birthday of Joe, one of the neighbors, and another neighbor also named Joe had his birthday this week, so we played "Birthday" by The Beatles next, continuing the "hey let's celebrate things" theme, which seemed to raise spirits a bit.  People seemed to like us, but it was hot as fuck, so not much dancing or anything.  Mostly people sitting under tents drinking and trying to have a good time.  By the end of the second set, the sun was down and it was starting to cool off a little, so that helped.

Second break, we're all checking the radar on our phones and stuff, and the storms which were forecast are definitely on their way, though it looks like they might veer north.  Clouds roll in, and suddenly the air temperature drops and the wind comes up, both very noticeably.  The storm front is here.  We're either going to suddenly get wet, or we're just going to enjoy the breeze and the fact that it's now only about 80 degrees out, which is still kinda warm but feels heavenly compared to five minutes ago.

It did not rain.  The third set was amazing.  Cooler now and with a breeze, people were up and dancing.  People were eating, and all that drinking they were doing earlier to try and stay cool was hitting them pretty good.  The place completely came to life.  In a far corner, some guys were doing bong hits.  And at some point, the graduate and her friends decided it was time to hit the pool.  Remember how the deck to the pool is just off to my right, maybe 20 feet away?  These are times when you know that there is a God.  I have seen proof!  I mean, go ahead and use your imagination, but it will not exceed what passed before my eyes, many times in fact.

So another rough start, but by the end, again, I'm thinking yeah, I still love outdoor gigs the best.  :xbones
I love you.

BTW, my 13-year old daughter's favorite band is also Twenty-One Pilots.  I am glad that she has a band to be really excited about (like I have been about other bands), but I wish it was one that I liked better lol (although I actually like their new song "Heathen" from the Suicide Squad film).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #353 on: November 22, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
I've only heard the one song, "House of Gold", but I guess it's alright.  Mostly uke and voice, so we did a special thing where John's son played the uke and Anne's son sang it.  Keys, then drums and bass come in later.  The grad loved it.

One of her friends came up to me later and said "I'm your number one fan!"  I told her I was glad to hear that.  High five.  I'm Bob, by the way.  She said "Oh, okay" and turned and walked away.  Some fan.  Didn't even stick around for an autograph.  What, is it because I'm like three times your age?  We could make it work!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #355 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »
With three more gigs under our belt and three coming up on the calendar, you'd have thought the band was finally getting something going, starting to fire on all cylinders, doing the things we've been trying to do for nearly three years now.  And you'd be right.  After last practice, we had a brief meeting to talk about some of the calls we've been getting, and John just wanted some guidance as to how much we should ask for, what's the lowest we'd take, that kind of thing.  We all seemed to be in the same boat.  Things are finally happening.  A well-known if not huge venue coming up, and a well-known and huge venue after that, our biggest so far.

So of course our "new" guitarist/singer (joined us in the spring) gave his notice that he's quitting.  He'll work the gigs we currently have scheduled, if we want (we do) and honor his commitment to them, then he's gone.

When he joined us not that long ago, he didn't have a day job and was gigging as much as he could to make some money.  We were one of three bands he was in.  Shortly after joining us, he dropped one of the others, as we were making more money.  Since then, he's been called back to his old day job, and only needs/wants to play in one band, not two, and we make less than that other band, so we lose.  He's a mercenary, something we hadn't counted on.  He freely admits that we're a better band and more fun to play with, but they're gigging regularly and making some good money, and if he's gonna be in a band, he'd rather make steady money than just play for fun.

That's the difference.  Since we're never gonna get rich doing this anyway, we're just doing it for fun.  Sure, it's nice to play bigger crowds and take bigger bucks; we're getting there, slowly but surely.  Wouldn't be so damned slowly if people would stop quitting the fucking band every time we get something going!  But each time, we get closer.  We've actually played paid gigs and have started building a very small following.  Two steps forward, one step back.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #356 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »
Sucks about your guitarist, Orbert.

Hopefully you can find someone else soon.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
Thanks.  So far, the rest of us are still in.  I'm getting pretty tired of this shit where we finally get something going and somebody quits or has a hissy fit or whatever, but what can I do?  If I decide I've had enough of this crap and also quit, then I don't have a band.  I would then have to hunt around and try to find a band to play in, and hope that that band works out (and I'd have no reason to believe the odds are any better than what I have now) or just stick with what we have.  So I might as well stick with FlashDrive.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #358 on: November 22, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
Keep it going :tup

I've had to endure many line-up changes and people not being committed enough to do shit, but once you get a steady line-up of players that want to work for something good, well, you probably know that better than me ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
More ch-ch-ch-changes for Orbert's band.

I mentioned meeting a pretty girl named Jessica in this post about a gig we did earlier this summer.  I didn't mention it at the time because it didn't seem important, but I was introduced to her by our band leader John.  Separately, John has mentioned wanting to do something about what he considers the band's most obvious weakness, which is our vocals.  I agree, and have been pushing for vocal rehearsals, but John is too impatient and too much a damned manager for that.  He started talking about this band he saw that had two female singers, one mostly leads and one mostly harmonies, and they sounded great.  He decided that that's what we should do.  Two strong female singers, then if me or him or our new guitarist also sing, that just adds to it.  Seven piece band, with two who basically just sing.

Well, what the hell, we're not in this for the money, so splitting things seven ways rather than six isn't my biggest concern.  My biggest concern is that we already have issues scheduling practices with six people, and already have to cram ourselves into tiny little stages.  This will only make it worse.

Then he mentioned that Jessica, the pretty girl with the great ass, is the one who he wants to be our other singer.  This changes everything.  Well, not really everything, but it changes something.  I'm thinking as long as she wears those white pants, she can join the band.  I'll just stand back in my corner and try (unsuccessfully I'm sure) not to stare at her ass all night.

Jessica and Anne were at John's the other night trying things out, and John recorded some of it and sent it to us.  They sound pretty damned good together on "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence.  I can now imagine us doing Heart, Pat Benatar (with proper background vocals) and some other stuff we couldn't really do justice to.  So... interesting.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #360 on: November 22, 2016, 07:47:27 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #361 on: November 22, 2016, 07:47:42 PM »
John sent us an email with a full document of the rehearsal.  They sang six or eight songs together (I didn't count), and nailed every one.  She is a vocal music teacher with a degree in vocal music, so her ear for harmony is excellent.  In the recording, she was easily nailing 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th harmonies like it was nothing, because to a trained vocalist, it is nothing.  They're just lines to sing.

And of course she's hot.  Two reasons to be excited about this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2016, 07:47:57 PM »
So practice was cancelled earlier this week because JT (drummer) had to travel on Saturday.  Then practice was back on because JT isn't travelling because of Hurricane Hermine.  Then practice is probably back on, but JT might still need to fly out on Saturday, but we'll know for sure by Thursday at 8:00pm.  It's Thursday afternoon now.  Then practice is on for sure, but JT has to leave by about Noon, and Pat isn't included on the email this time because he's a short-timer and we're going to repurpose the rehearsal.  Jessica is coming, and we're going to run through some songs with her, the ones she sang with Anne the other night.

I'm the first one there, and John is telling me all this, and I say Oh so kinda like an audition, and kinda like a proof of concept, the dual female vocal thing?  John says No, that part's a forgone conclusion.  She's there to meet the rest of the band and practice the songs she's singing with us at the gig, a week from tonight.  Um, okay.  (It really is okay with me.  It caught me off guard, but I'm fine with her joining, so whatever.)  Then afterwards, a band meeting to discuss current issues and future direction.  She will leave, Pat won't be there, the rest of us can chat a bit.  We already know where JT stands on all of this (his position, officially, is to let other people worry about it; whatever we end up doing is fine), so it's okay that he has to go.

That's the plan, anyway.  We're standing on John's driveway discussing this, and Pat pulls up.  John panics just a little; I tell him Hey, it's no biggie.  If Jessica's singing with us, it makes sense that she'll be there.  I hear John going over to Pat, saying Hi and that we'll be having someone join us today, something new we're trying out, and Pat's fine with that because he's leaving the band anyway.  Jerry is always so direct, it's funny.  He pulls up and yells "Pat!  I thought you weren't going to be here today!"  Pat says he wasn't going to just leave us high and dry.  He's still in the band right now, so he's going to attend rehearsals and stuff.  A true professional, even if he is kind of a dick.

So we rehearsed as a seven-piece, and it sounded freaking awesome.  The set we do with Jessica is going to rock, hard.  Pat's always the first to leave, and he does, and JT bails to catch his flight, and apparently no one told Jerry to stick around, so after Jessica leaves, it's just John, Anne, and myself.  So we discuss the future of the band.

Jessica sounded great, Anne is fine with her singing backgrounds.  Jessica also wants to sing lead on just a few songs a night.  This isn't a bad idea, as it will give Anne a break.  The problem is that she's great at backgrounds, but not really a "lead singer" quality vocalist.  We tried one song with Jessica singing.  It was only one song, and I don't know if it was a fair trial; it wasn't planned.  Anne's fighting a head cold and started coughing and needed a break, so we figured we'd let Jessica sing a song, we'd all see how she did.  She picked a song from the list and sang it, not really well but not horribly.

Pat made it a bit easier on the rest of us by being his usual pissy-bitchy self.  When he left, it was like "Later, now we can talk about you."  Okay, it wasn't quite like that, but it kinda was.  It's harder to part ways with someone you like a lot; Pat never warmed up to the rest of us, and we never really warmed up to him.  He's a great guitarist and pretty good singer, but never really felt like part of the group.  I figured it would come with time, but there weren't even signs, and now he's leaving.

Anyway, we're moving forward.  We are adding a second singer, and it will probably be Jessica.  We're still looking for another guitarist, preferably one who sings, but apparently we're now talking about John singing more leads, and maybe even me, so if the new guitarist comes with a couple of songs that he sings, we're all set.  Anne will still sing between 2/3 and 3/4 of the songs, and instead of one other person singing leads, it will be spread out a bit more.  That's cool; other bands do that, and it works.  Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »

Tonight we play our shortest gig ever, but also in some ways our most important.  There's a place nearby that's large enough to have national touring acts play (my son has been to concerts there a few times) but is really a huge bar/restaurant with an upstairs room that's like a concert hall, except they also serve food and drink upstairs.  So it's somewhere in between.  You're not gonna see KISS there, but Motley Crue and Avatar play there.  Bands doing the club thing these days because they can't fill stadiums anymore, and smaller bands on their way up.

Anyway, a Led Zeppelin tribute act called Kashmir plays there a few times a year and is by all accounts very, very good.  We're opening for them.  Ten songs, 45 minutes, get the hell out of the way.  So the biggest venue we've played yet, the biggest crowd, but most of them won't be there to hear us.  Hopefully, however, we manage to impress some people.  Tonight will also be our last gig with Pat, who is a good guitarist but has turned out to be a pissy bitch and we're kinda glad he's leaving.

We auditioned two guitarists last Sunday and the second one was much better, so we hired him.  Well "hire" is the wrong word, since this isn't just a job; it's an adventure!

His name is Larry and he's like us, been playing in bands 30-some years, just for fun, looking to play maybe once or twice a month, certainly no more than that because then it feels like a second job.  It stops being fun when you feel like you have to do it.  This is exactly our attitude, so he fits right in.

Anyway, he was great with Journey, Benatar, Doobie Brothers, etc.  The audition was five of the ten songs we're doing tonight and he nailed them all.  I almost pulled John aside afterwards to ask him if maybe Larry should just learn the other five songs and play the gig with us.  We still have the Friday night practice (last night) to run through things.

I mentioned this to John at rehearsal last night, and he said the exact same thing crossed his mind.  He did call Larry afterwards and told him three more songs, the other two being optional because if he ran out of time we can get by with one guitar.  Larry is coming to the gig tonight to check us out anyway, and just in case Pat did something truly dickish, Larry said he'd be ready to jump in.  This is just in case Pat calls John during the week and has some story about how he's sorry but can't do the gig this weekend blah blah blah, Larry will be ready and have his guitar in the car.

Strange the shit you have to do in a band sometimes.

But Pat was at rehearsal last night, and it went well.  On the way out to his car, John was helping carry some of his equipment, and Pat stops and just goes "Man, this is a good band."  Was that regret?  He already said we're the best band he's played with in a long time, but we're just not pulling in the money.  John told us about it when he came back in.  Pat is in it for the money, which as far as I'm concerned is stupid.  Yeah, you can pick up some extra green if you want to bust your ass, play every weekend, and really make it a second job.  But as I said, that really doesn't sound like fun at that point.  I play because I like to, because I want to, not because I have to.  Pat's talking about getting to Wedding/Special Event level.  Taking home $1000 apiece every time.  Yeah, that would be awesome, a true second source of income.  And (still) much more work than I'm really into.

Anyway, huge gig tonight, then we move forward with a new guitarist who could be better than Pat anyway, and is a much cooler guy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2016, 07:50:10 PM »
Holy crap, what a gig!  Well as much as a 45-minute set can be a gig, anyway.  We hit 'em hard, and didn't let up.  Even got an encore, which was pretty cool, and also pretty unusual from what I hear.  I mean, we were the warm-up act for a tribute band, so still not exactly big time, but it was the nicest room we've played so far, they hit us with their lights and sound and even a smoke machine.  So we got to be rock stars for an hour.  A couple people asked for our business cards, a bunch of new views and Likes on the band Facebook page, and the guys from Kashmir said we were great and could open for them any time.  Hopefully this exposure will lead to something.  We currently have no gigs on the schedule (which is actually okay since we now have to get our new guitarist up to speed as soon as possible).

I've seen a handful of pictures, so far nothing with the entire band.  A few with everyone except me which actually look pretty cool, but fuck if I'm going to post those.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2016, 07:50:43 PM »
That's awesome, Orb. :tup
What was your setlist? Did anyone get video?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2016, 07:51:15 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »
Thanks.  I'm trying to look contemplative or something, like it's no big deal playing two parts at once, but in reality I'm concentrating pretty hard.

That's awesome, Orb. :tup
What was your setlist? Did anyone get video?

Someone got 30 seconds of cell phone video. That's all I've seen. Also, it starts out correctly aligned, then she turns her phone 90 degrees, so 28 seconds of it is sideways.

Separate Ways
Born to Be Wild
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
China Grove
Chain of Fools
Higher Ground
Play That Funky Music
Long Train Runnin'
Bring Me to Life
I Just Wanna Make Love To You
Encore: Come Sail Away

We do the Little Caesar version of "Chain of Fools" which rocks pretty hard. Also, our "Higher Ground" is somewhere between the Stevie Wonder original and how the Red Hot Chili Peppers might play it if they had keyboards.

Yep, we got an encore, which I understand is pretty rare for this place, for an opening band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
Thanks, guys! :tup

"But Orbert, what about the drama? We miss the drama which only your band can provide!"

The gig at Austin's Fuel Room was our biggest gig yet, despite being less than an hour set.  It was the largest, nicest room so far, and gave us great exposure.  John got a call the next day; some guy saw us and wanted us to play this weekend, but we currently don't have a full lineup, because it was also the end of an era of sorts.  It was our last gig with Pat, who joined the band in February on guitar and vocals, replacing Steve.  It was our second gig with Jessica, added recently to help bolster our vocals.  She's been a great addition to our sound overall, even if I was philosophically opposed to her joining in the first place.

But when Pat gave his notice, we began the search for another singer/guitarist, had a few leads, both of which fell through, and John made the decision to focus on guitar skills, with vocals a nice plus.  Jessica would have to step up her role, and John and I would sing more, perhaps even some leads.  We found a great guitarist named Larry, who told us up front that he'll sing backgrounds if we think it'll help, but he's not a great singer and if we already have three parts covered, we're better off without him.

Because John is a businessman and the band has always been run more like a project at work than a "regular" band (whatever that is), we kicked off the new era with a meeting at his house last Saturday.  The agenda included future direction of the band in general, how the dynamics and roles have changed, which songs on the current set list to drop, which to keep, and new ones to vote on adding.

We all thought that Anne and Jessica got along fine.  Anne and Jessica thought they got alone fine.  This meeting showed that that's not necessarily the case.  Anne has always sung around 70% of the songs.  She can't sing lead on every song for three hours, and having another singer gives her a break as well as adding variety to the set list.  This is by design.  Steve sang 1/4 to 1/3 of the songs, and so did Pat.  Since Larry doesn't sing lead vocals, we discussed how the aforementioned redistribution of vocal dutes would work.

Anne has a problem with this.  Even though what she's actually doing in the band will not change (she'll still sing around 70% of the songs, more if she wants), the fact that Jessica is now also going to be a lead singer bothers her.  Why?  It wasn't a problem when Steve sang leads, and it wasn't a problem when Pat sang leads.  What's different?

The difference is that Jessica is only a singer.  Anne will do lead and background vocals, Jessica will do lead and background vocals.  Anne will still be our front person and lead singer.  Her role is not changing.  But she wants to be the lead singer.  The only one.  Fucking seriously?  Ego?  Now?  When we're on the fucking verge of really, really making it big?  It was okay with her when Steve or Pat was singing because they were also playing guitar.  Maybe she's so insecure that she imagines that eventually we'll just want Jessica and not her (not likely -- Jessica is good but not nearly as good as Anne).  Maybe it's because Jessica is also female.  Anne has always gotten along better with the guys than with other girls.  Some girls are that way.  Not a problem... until it becomes a problem.

So she's all upset, and we're trying to get her to articulate exactly why, and she's having trouble getting to it (what I just wrote above is my summary of what we managed to drag out of her over the course of 15 or 20 minutes).  We assure her that she's still our "main" lead singer, she's still the face of the band, the front person, and then in an incredible display of stupidity, Jessica pipes up "Wait a minute, I'm a front person, too.  I mean, I'm right up front, too, right next to her."  Jane, you ignorant slut!  You were hired as a background singer.  You were told you could sing lead on one or two songs, so your friends could come see you and cheer for you.  But you were never a front person, and you're not a front person just because you stand on the front line.  The drummer, bassist and I are the back line, the guitarists and singers are front line, because this is Rock and Roll and this is how it works and this is what looks cool.  But you're not the front person any more than the guitarists are.  There can be only one.

I didn't say any of this, because there are seven people in the band and at least four of them were already talking.  JT is amazed by this and gets up to grab something to drink or something.  Then he comes back and we see how incredibly mad he really is.  "I have played in dozens of bands the past 30 years, and almost none of them had the talent that this band has.  But every one of those bands broke up because of one thing: Ego!  There is no room for that.  There is what's best for the band, and that is what you do, and if you don't like that, you can leave!"  He's not speaking to anyone in particular, just venting, but his words are true, and we all know it.  We all enjoy playing in the band, but we all have things we want to get out of it, therefore every single one of us must compromise, at least a little.  I just wish he hadn't said the part about leaving if you can't deal with it, because it looked to me like Anne was about to quit.  She's sitting there crying, and feels like everyone's ganging up on her.  We're really just trying to talk sense, but when you have three or four people all doing that at once, let's face it, it's ganging up.  Jessica has chosen the worst possible time for her little power play, and is sitting looking somewhere between defiant and confused by how much commotion it's caused.

JT leaves.  He cannot calm down enough to stay in the room and deal with this level of stupidity.  His position has always been "I'm merely the drummer" which sounds like a cop out, but in fact it has helped on more than one occassion.  He really doesn't care what we play or where we play.  Somebody make the call, and he'll learn the songs.  After nearly three years with us, we've worked this out and it's fine.  He'll be fine; he just needs to calm down.

Jessica has to be somewhere and has to leave at Noon.  We knew this going in.  It's almost Noon now, so she starts gathering her stuff.  Jerry, who has always been the mellowist, most laid-back person in the band, says he hopes we can figure this out, because right now he's about 50-50 regarding whether this is worth it.  He loves the band, thinks we're great, but all this bickering and behind-the-scenes shit really bothers him.  This surprises me because he's never let on that that was the case, not until now.

The meeting is apparently over.  Jerry and Larry get up to leave, and John walks them to the door (and presumably takes the opportunity to say something to each of them).  This leaves Anne and me in the room.  Anne's still sitting there, no longer crying but still visibly upset.  I go over and give her a hug.  We've reached this point; at gigs and practices we greet each other with a hug and say goodbye with a hug.  For me, it both reinforces bonds and serves a completely selfish purpose; I think Anne is hot and hell yes I'll take the opportunity to hug her.  But standing up and hugging someone while they're sitting down is a little awkward, so she stands up and turns to face me and goes to continue the hug.  Just as we're leaning into each other, I see her face.  Oh shit!  It's that face.

You see it in movies and bad TV shows.  A mix of realization, resignation, vulnerability, and uncertainty all at once.  Two people, just friends until this moment, and then the look crosses one or both of their faces, and they start making out.  Depending on the circumstances, clothes might start coming off (which is always hilarious to watch, especially if they try to do this without releasing liplock).  But this is not the face I wanted to see.  In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.  She and her boyfriend broke up a few weeks ago, and the last couple of practices, when I asked her how she's doing, she's actually told me.  Not great.  Adjusting.  Getting used to being alone again.  And it can be tough at our age.  I've tried to be a good friend to her, not just because I like her and genuinely care about her, but again for selfish reasons, this time going the other way.  The better she is, the better the band is.  Got to keep her happy, and let her know the rest of us are in it with her.

I made the split-second decision to completely ignore "that face" and just give her a hug.  A supportive, friendly, chaste hug.  By time I release her, I look and her face has changed.  We're just friends.  Good.  But I know what I saw, and goddammit, of all the things this band does not need right now, it's this.  Well, this and our two singers not agreeing on the dynamics of front-line singers and their respective roles in the band.  I asked her if she was okay, she said Yes, and thanked me.  I started heading toward the door, and I guess I figured she'd be right behind me.  I get outside, John is still talking a bit with Jerry and Larry (that sounds funny) and I ask "So, do we still have a band?"  Larry says "I'm still in!"  Ha ha, good answer, one who has not yet played with us.  Jerry says something like "I think so."  I hope so, Jerry.  None of the behind-the-scenes bullshit has been resolved, apparently.  I look, and Anne has not followed me outside.  She's still inside, alone at this point, probably still getting her head together.  John glances around, apparently reaches the same conclusion, and says Bye to us and starts heading back inside.  The rest of us get in our cars and leave.

I have no idea what the fuck is even happening anymore.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »
Woah. I don't even know how to respond to that :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
You're really telling us the true life story of Heart, and passing it off as your band, aren't you.  Somebody is going to have to be the opportunistic one here and destroy the band when he hooks up with Anne.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
I'm not familiar with the backstory of Heart; I'm somewhat familiar with the the backstory of Fleetwood Mac (the Buckingham Nicks version) but only because so many stories have been told about how the band didn't break up, but instead got a lot of good songs out of the shit they went through.  The important thing is that they did get through it.  That's not the case with Heart, I presume?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
Woah. I don't even know how to respond to that :lol

As I was driving home, I remember thinking to myself "Ha ha, the guys on DTF would love this" but the drama was mostly a thing of the past.  Once we got Pat settled in and started actually playing gigs, things were pretty cool for a while.  This past summer has been great.  Plenty of good Rock and Roll, plenty of fun.

But then I figured the drama is, at the very least, entertaining.  Might as well share it.  And unless I completely misinterpreted "the face" -- which I suppose is still a possibility -- I'm actually involved in some of it.  Possibly.  Hopefully, it's nothing.  A moment of minor weakness, no harm, no foul.

It was funny, though.  John called me a couple hours later, just to check in.  He does that.  After a meeting or practice, especially if things didn't exactly go well, he'll call specific individuals and speak privately with them.  He's a manager by profession, and this is how he manages issues within the band.  If having everyone in the room together just leads to chaos and yelling and crying, he deals with us one-on-one.  Anyway, I'd gotten pretty stoned on the way home, and John opens with "So I talked with Anne a bit after the meeting..." and I'm thinking Holy shit, please this cannot go where it sounds like it's going.  What, she's all confused?  She thought that maybe I was trying to... something?  She thinks that maybe she's... something?

He continues, "...and, I guess I just wanted to thank you for being one of the cooler heads in the room today.  Things got pretty tense, and I had to alternate between sitting back and letting people sort it out, and jumping in to be the referee.  I noticed that you didn't say a lot, but when you did, it was calm, made sense, and tended to defuse things.  Anne said you stayed a bit afterwards and talked to her, got her to calm down, and I appreciate that."  He went on to talk about how we're at a crossroads, the lineup has changed and we have to figure some things out, etc.

I'd almost forgotten that Anne and I did talk quite a bit.  I told her that I know she's not sure what's going on right now, no one is, but this is the best band I've ever been in, and I really want it to succeed.  She seemed surprised by that.  But to do that, we have to keep it together, and get through the rough times.  I was holding her and saying all kinds of nice, reassuring things, she's a great singer and a great person and I know she's been going through some shit lately, but I'm there for her, and I think that's what led to the face and the almost-more-than-hug, but it was just a moment of vulnerability.

Anyway, I reminded John pretty directly that I was against adding Jessica for exactly the reasons we're dealing with now.  If he sees our vocals as a weakness, our first course of action should be dedicated vocal rehearsals.  Anne would see adding another singer as a threat.  He would have to approach it very carefully, get her buy-in at every stage, and keep things cool on both sides.  He reminded me that he'd started this process in February.  Eight months ago.  Whoa.  The gig where I met Jessica was in March.  He'd been taking this as slowly as he could, but when Pat decided to leave and we couldn't find a guitarist who can also sing (they're all already playing in bands), it changed things, and Jessica's role has changed.  He thought that the girls were getting along fine, were comfortable with each other, and that this wouldn't really be a problem.  He was just wrong about that last part.

Anyway, don't worry, I'm not going to try and bang our singer or anything like that.  I'm not an idiot.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2016, 07:55:18 PM »
More Drama!

In the Chicago suburbs, every suburb has their own festival and celebration every year.  They range in size, but in general are the biggest local event of the year.  The Village Green or whatever the big park downtown is gets converted into a fair.  Rides, games, and of course live music.  This is known as "the festival circuit".  Bands can make anywhere from $800 to $2000 for that one night, and if you manage to get on the circuit, you go around and play six or eight (or more) of these during the spring and summer months.

Two weeks from Friday is a big thing at one of the big hotels, it's a showcase for the local festivals.  Reps will be there to decide what bands to hire for next year's festivals.  Bands will be there to basically do mass auditions.  15 minutes, show them what you've got, maybe score big.  This is a very big deal.  We weren't ready for the festival circuit this year; we would've had to have been ready last fall and appear at this showcase.  We're ready now.

So the thing is coming up, and the organizer contacted John with some tips: Don't play individual songs, put together a medley of 7-8 songs which show your versatility, variety, musicianship, and vocal strength.  That's the only one that caught us by surprise.  We'd decided which three songs to play, killer songs, but what the hell, we can put together a 15-minute medley of songs.  I volunteered to do it, and "Festival Medley v3.mp3" was eventually emailed out to everyone, along with a breakdown of how it's all put together.  Saturday was our first practice of two to nail this thing down.  We worked on it for three hours.  It's coming together really well.

Some things didn't work quite as well as I'd thought, but whatever; I knew this was only a draft.  Some transitions worked better if we left in four or eight bars to give someone time to switch guitars or stomp on pedals.  Some things flowed better if we cut this out part out, but left this part of this other song in.  That kind of thing.  I remember that there was an one eight-bar section we cut that Anne felt very strongly against cutting, but it was basically a throwaway section.  It's in "Separate Ways" right near the end where Perry is ad-libbing "I still love you I really love you blah blah blah" while Neil plays the same solo he'd played before, then the big ending.  We cut that.  Anne thought it made more sense lyrically to keep it because the next thing is "Noooooooo!!!!" over the synth hook and it would sound like she's telling him No, as opposed to No, please don't go.  Whatever, it's bits and pieces of songs.  The buyers will not be critiquing the lyrics.

I get up from my Sunday afternoon nap yesterday to a missed call, a voicemail, and a text, all from John, all asking me to call him.  This will not be good.

He got an email from Anne Saturday night at 11:00 PM (after he'd gone to bed; he didn't see it until Sunday) which he presumes came about after several glasses of wine, but as he puts it "alcohol is the best truth serum" and he's right.

Anne can't deal with this.  The way we disrepect her (what?), the way we're always talking about her behind her back (which she's never seen but she knows we do it), the way she never has any input into the decisions we make, blah blah blah, whine whine whine (and probably more wine wine wine).  This thing with cutting the vocal ad-lib part was just the last straw, the one that broke the camel's back.  She's so tired of having to put up with all the shit she gets from us (seriously, WTF?) and the way we gang up on her if she dares to open her mouth.

Uh... no.  This is a band.  Every one of us has compromised, for the good of the band.  Every one of us puts the band first, because without the band, we don't get to be rock stars on the weekends.  Every one of us, except her.  John says that this has been going on for a while, most of the summer at least (I had no idea) and her emails are always full of "I thought... " and "But I wanted..."  It's always about her, it's never what's better for the band.  He's spent the last few months trying to smooth over the hurt feelings regarding adding Jessica as a support singer, which a bigger person would be able to see objectively makes us a better band.  Our vocals now are as kickass as our instrumentals.  We did it.  We are now a fucking top-shelf cover band, really for the festival circuit, the big bucks as far as this level of entertainment goes.  So of course it's now time for someone to get fucking butthurt about something and want to quit.

John's telling me all this, and I'm thinking maybe it's time for a different approach.  Mediation?  That would be weird.  How about we just ask her what the fuck it is that she wants us to do?  Does she want full control of the set list?  Not gonna happen.  Does she want final say on all vocal decisions?  She has the most say, but the final word still comes down to the band.  No one has 100% control over anything.  It's called compromise, putting the needs of the many ahead of the needs of your own selfish ass.  Given that, what does she want?  Have we ever really asked her that, point blank.

John says that he suspects she'd never be able to articulate that.  And unfortunately, it really doesn't matter at this point because there's more.  First, this has been going on for a while (that's when he shared that bit about it going on all summer) and Anne is beyond pessimistic, beyond paranoid; she's full-blown delusional.  The accusations of us colluding against her, the objectively wrong perception that she has no input into the decisions, the way we brought in another singer without her approval (approval?)... But most of all, there's another thing.  Jerry, who at our last band meeting said he was 50-50 on staying and putting up with this shit, had also sent John an email after Saturday's practice.  He's decided.  He'll play this showcase thing with us, but after that he's gone.  He won't be as dramatic as Steve was ("either she goes or I go") but basically he's tired of dealing with Anne and her shit.  Again, I'm totally caught off guard by this.  I had never perceived anything negative between those two.  Never.  When we're playing, for three hours, everything in the world is great.  I'm playing rock and roll.  I'm playing good rock and roll with a good band with good singers and it sounds good and we are good.  As far as I knew, everything was great.  Maybe I'm the naive one.

But there it is.  We either find another singer or we find another bass player.  Steve left because of Anne, Pat had numerous reasons for leaving but #1 was Anne, and Jessica isn't available for the showcase thing (she teaches vocal music, and that is the day of her school concert) but has intimated to John that she's having second thoughts about being in the band and working with Anne.

There are other bass players, and yeah, I'm sure it's easier to find a good-enough bass player than a good singer.  But from Day One, the basis of this band has been that it is not our day job, and we may never make any money doing it, therefore it has to be about fun, and playing music isn't fun if you don't get along with the rest of the band.  It's about "fit".  John has cut people he didn't think were a good fit, and right now, if there's one person who's causing the most problems, giving him the most headaches, not "fitting" with the rest of the band, it's our prima-donna lead singer Anne.  He's made the executive decision and she's got to go, for the sake of the band.  The band is not the lead singer.  Actually, he sees the core of the band as JT, Jerry, myself, and him.  We've seen lead guitarists come and go.  We've seen singers come and now probably go.  These are key positions in the band, no question.  But if the person in that position places their wants above the needs of the band -- that is, considers themself more important than the other five members combined -- then that person is the problem.

My phone says that John and I talked for 46 minutes, 11 seconds.  I basically agreed with him on everything we discussed.  I like Anne, he likes Anne, but we both like the band more, and the band is not going to bend over or bow to the wishes of the lead singer.  Some bands do that.  This is his band, and this band will not do that.  I'm perfectly fine with that.

Next steps: Somehow keep it together for two more weeks.  Get this festival showcase done, wow a bunch of people, line up some big gigs for next year.  Then replace our lead singer and, by next summer, get another one and get her up to speed.  When we hit the festival circuit next year, and live out our dream of playing for thousands of people at a time, we will not be the same band that auditioned; we will be better.

Two steps forward, one step back.  That's been the pattern, every single time.  We finally had a full set list together and were ready to start playing gigs when we lost Karen.  We finally got to actually playing live when we lost Steve.  We finally got to playing some decent venues and not $10 shitholes when we lost Pat.  We are on the edge of playing the festival circuit, and it looks like we're losing Anne.  John says that there's one thing that could change the outcome of this, and it's that Anne has to convince him that she's turned herself around, realized how out-of-touch with reality she's been, make amends with the rest of the band, and show that she's ready to place the needs of the band ahead of her own.  He seriously doubts that this will happen.  But he has to keep her compliant until after the showcase.  Placate her, tell her Let's just get through this thing and then we can take a serious look at her issues and what we can do about them.  It would not exactly be untrue.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:00:30 PM by Orbert »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »
I haven't read the latest Orbert's post yet—I'm going to be on it right after I post this—but I've got to say, these FlashDrive updates are the best thing happening on DTF right now, as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:01:25 PM by Orbert »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
I kind of agree, it's great reading all of that.

Wow, I think you guys have got the right idea though; the band is always more important than a single person, but as soon as that single person gets too much a hold of a band's sound or writes most of the music, it's not as easy. This happens with lead-singers, lead-guitarists and bands in which there's only one person writing the songs (Steven Wilson comes to mind; every musician can basically be replaced except for him). You guys are a cover band, so obviously anybody could potentiallybe replaced and as you said, the intention is to have fun. Don't let your fun be spoilt by drama and tell you lead-singer what you said here. Oh, and nail that festival show-case!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:01:54 PM by Orbert »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2016, 07:56:02 PM »
By the time I'd gotten up from my Sunday afternoon nap, John had already spoken with JT and Jerry, and they were both on the same page as he and I.  Also, John had replied to Anne's email, stating in what he thought were very clear terms that he thought she was off base with her perceptions, there was no great conspiracy against her, and that everyone is compromising here.  Everyone is placing the good of the band ahead of their own wants, except her.  He gave multiple specific examples.

She completely either missed or ignored the point of the email and responded with more "But I wanted..." and "But I said we should..." and "But I thought..." and literally just a bunch more examples of her just not getting it.  She sees the band as existing so that she can get what she wants out of it.  That's true for all of us.  But she is not more important than the band itself.  No one is.

It was that reply which prompted John to contact the rest of us individually and bring up the impending departure of Anne, and do whatever calming down and/or convincing was necessary.  None was necessary.  We all agree completely with John's position on this.  For now, if Anne brings anything up, we just say that yeah, it looks like we have some more stuff to work out, but let's focus on this showcase for now, then we'll address specific complaints that anyone might have.  And just hope she doesn't bail before then.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:02:17 PM by Orbert »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
I just thought of something.  And to be quite honest, I feel kinda shitty that I hadn't thought of it before.

I do consider Anne a friend as well as a bandmate.  I personally would rather see her stay in the band and work things out, if that's at all possible.  Even so, it's still three votes to two against her.  (Larry and Jessica presumably do not get votes, having little to no tenure in the band yet.)  I could reach out to Anne, call her, send her an email, something, and tell her Hey, this is it.  John is ready to kick you out, and let's just say it's not looking great but there's still something you can do to fix that, maybe.  You're not gonna like it, but here it is, take it or leave it.  And tell her what John said about what she has to do, completely, or else.  And we're still outvoted and John could still say Bye-bye, so it could just make things worse.  Jerry could decide Well okay, I guess she's staying, so I'm gone, sorry it worked out like this.  And we'd have Anne, but she'd still be a psycho prima donna, and now we need to find a bass player, too.

So I should just shut up.  And let my friend get kicked out of a band she really likes being in.  The fact that I'm also a member of that band shouldn't matter, right?  But it does.  The band still comes first.

Fuck.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:02:44 PM by Orbert »