Author Topic: Your concerts for 2017  (Read 33403 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2017
« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:41 AM »
Added Bad Religion (which I've never seen live since I became a fan in 1991) on the 28th of july in Amsterdam.

Nice  :tup I've seen them about 3-4 times I think. They may not be the most energetic on stage nowadays but they put on a solid performance  :metal

Yea about 3-4 times for me as well and they are great live.  They usually sound perfect and while they are up there in age, they still  rock on stage.  You'll have a great time.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Saw Alter Bridge last month. Almost saw Cohered & Cambria last weekend but it didn't work out. I hope to be able to see DT when they bring I&W25 to North America.

How was the AB show?
It was sick af dude! Thanks for asking!!
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
Stoked for the Opeth - Gojira concert tomorrow in Nashville.  First Opeth concert on this mini tour after almost a month off.  I hope they change up the set list a bit.  I just listened to the Gojira,  Mars to Sirius cd and some really good songs. The only negative is the concert starts at 8:30.  Kind of late for an old guy.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline mike099

« Reply #248 on: May 04, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »
Gojira was awesome tonight.  My first concert in war memorial and the sound was great.  The bass player for Gojira was insane.  Opeth is next!

Offline mike099

« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »
Opeth was good, but disappointed they played nothing from still life or black water park.  It was almost an hour between Gojira and opeth.  You could tell something was going on Between sets.  The crowd was more responsive to Gojira than Opeth.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: May 05, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »
An hour between sets?  If that's the case on Sunday then I'm leaving before Opeth  :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #251 on: May 05, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »
New addition: Riverside. Anyone seen them w the new guitarist?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline mike099

« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
An hour between sets?  If that's the case on Sunday then I'm leaving before Opeth  :lol

If you do not mind, post your comments on both bands after the concert. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Going to see The Skints in Cheltenham tonight  :hat

Sweet ass reggae band, check it.

My two favourite songs, Mindless and Can't Take No More

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »

They are playing near to me in about two weeks.  I've not seen them before and if I can afford it, I'm there  :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »

They are playing near to me in about two weeks.  I've not seen them before and if I can afford it, I'm there  :metal

Wait, what? I'm slow. I thought they said they won't get any new guitarist. Who is it?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »

Wait, what? I'm slow. I thought they said they won't get any new guitarist. Who is it?

I thought they meant they wouldn't get a permanent guitarist who is a fully fledged band member. I think the guitarist is just for live shows  (don't know who it is though)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »
Kvelertak opening for Mastodon :hefdaddy Organizers got them on the same bill as Kvelertak couldn't make it any other day. Good news for the fans, not so good for the organizers :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
So last night (actually after midnight) I saw Kaleo play at the Cincinnati Reds post game concert. The game was delayed 2 hours due to rain. Then there was a Star Wars themed post game fireworks show; and the outdoor temp had fallen to the low 40's before these guys were finally able to take the stage. Cold and wet aside, had they been lip-synching these guys couldn't have nailed it any more than they did.

I get their delta blues inspired indie folk rock vibe probably isn't for everyone (despite their self professed homage to Stairway to Heaven at the end of "I Can't Go On Without You") but I love that fucking bands sound. Live- these guys are flawless.

I'm blown away by this band. Very talented.

Up next I'll be in Glasgow on the 16th and Aberdeen on the 17th to see Maiden! Can't wait!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »

Totally would have but sadly I'm dealing with some health issues and I can't make it now. I just sold my ticket on stubhub and got my money back at least. I'm really really upset by this.

Offline mike099

« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

Totally would have but sadly I'm dealing with some health issues and I can't make it now. I just sold my ticket on stubhub and got my money back at least. I'm really really upset by this.

Glad you got your money back and get well.  Hope you get to see both bands sometime in the future.  I really want to see Mastodon at the Ryman in Nashville, but not sure about two opening bands on a week night.  Plus Mastodon is not playing Jaguar God on this tour, at least not so far.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
Thanks, I'm totally bummed about sitting home and not rocking out, next weekend is Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
Going to see Riverside for the first time in a week. Looking forward to it. I have no idea what songs are considered fan faves. I'll check Setlist.fm
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:56:22 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Finally been feeling better, tomorrow is Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold! Supposed to rain early in the evening though, it's not the nicest now.  Going to suck if it's raining since my seats (well, just about the whole stadium) are outdoors.  :yarr

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
Seeing Agent Fresco and Leprous (with Alithia and Astrosaur) 1 november in Haarlem  :metal :metal

I reaaaly want to see both Agent Fresco and Leprous live so I'm stoked they are touring together  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #265 on: May 21, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
Just got into the venue to see Riverside tonight. The crowd here is way older than I imagined it would be. At 34 and 30 me and my mate must be in the 10% of people under 40. Either way I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this  :metal

Offline home

« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
Have fun man  :metal
Yeah prog concerts tend to draw older crowds, though I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of "young" people at for instance the Steven Wilson concert I've been to.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2017, 01:36:49 AM »
So Riverside were great last night. They played a two hour set with no support (which was a cracking bonus in itself) and it was a different gig experience for me. As I'd mentioned yesterday, the crowd was older than I expected  (saying that I had no idea what the Riverside demographic was before last night) and the crowd was very static. That makes sense though as Riverside's music isn't really the sort to get you moving, it's more to close your eyes a drift away to.

I was mesmerized by Duda throughout the show. His bass playing is a sight to behold and it's unusual for me to focus on bass but it was so audible (and pleasing to the ear) that I couldn't help it.

I wouldn't call myself a huge fan but I really appreciated them more live, the instrumental sections were beautiful and also filled with plenty of headbanging moments. They're not a particularly 'showy band but they do what they do really well. I'd definitely see them again and recommend them to everyone on here (but I'm sure there can't be many who haven't at least checked them out).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2017, 06:31:23 AM »
So my calendar this year is:

- June 3: Train & OAR. I'm excited to see Train. My girlfriend got me into them and ever since I saw them cover all of Led Zeppelin II live I was a fan.

- July 11: Incubus, I've seen them a bunch and I'll see them again, always a fun experience.

- July 13: New Kids On The Block. I'm not a fan but my gf's friend couldn't go so my gf was trying to sell her tickets but I knew she really wanted to go so I said I'll go with her. Many beers will be had.

- July 18: Roger Waters, but PF fan, never have seen Roger Waters so this will be one to check off the bucket list.

- August 15: John Mayer, not a huge fan but I've always wanted to see him play guitar live.

- September 2: Ed Sheeran, Gf and I want to see him, he is an amazing live performer.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2017, 07:34:40 AM »
I love me some OAR. I smile every time I see their trumpet player on Colbert. He just seems so happy all the time.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #270 on: May 28, 2017, 03:59:56 AM »
I've been to 2 shows this week, the first was a Royal Blood concert in Amsterdam and the second was Fortarock in the City in Nijmegen (indoors 1-day festival):

Royal Blood: Vocals actually sound perfect live, exactly like the studio version (for better or worse), but I really enjoyed it. The mosh pits weren't too aggressive or anything but definitely exhausting as fuck. Especially during the end of Figure It Out and Loose Change, those were pretty much made for a live setting. They played 4 songs from the upcoming album (I think) and it sounded pretty solid, but mostly not as good as the debut material.

Fortarock in the City: There were 10 bands, I saw 7 of them in full and 2 of them partially.
Destrage: Did not disappoint, they played pretty much all the fan favourites (which are also my favourites for the most part. They were the first act however, and there wasn't much of a crowd.
Pelgrim: I stayed for the entire duration but wasn't a big fan. Mostly stayed because my brother is more into this sort of thing (djent-y core-y metal with constant breakdowns) but it was alright for the type of music I guess.
The Contortionist: Even though I was already aware that I am not a fan of Language, it surprised me how much I disliked the clean vocals live, I thought it'd come out better. The moments where he bursted out into harsh vocals were awesome though, and the last song (which apparently was the closer off of Language) was fucking amazing, one of the best endings to a concert I've experienced.
Ulsect: Only caught the last half unfortunately, but this band did not disappoint. When I listened to their debut which got released 2 weeks ago I thought it was kinda going nowhere, but their music was much more dynamic live and I might appreciate it more now.
Batushka: Probably the band I was most hyped for besides Periphery and Destrage, and they were just amazing. The concept they have going on for their live shows is definitely the selling point though, they make some fine black metal-ish music, but without the whole robe-wearing incense+candles-lighting portrait-holding shit they would not be as interesting. One of the best shows I've seen this year though, for sure.
The Charm the Fury: Least favourite show of the day. It was kind of like Arch Enemy with more breakdowns, not my thing. Not sure why but I sat through the entire thing.
Decapitated: I expected some crazy death metal and that was pretty much what I got. It was pretty awesome live but I wouldn't listen to it at home. Eventually it got kind of one-sided and decided to leave for a bit to get some rest.
Dool: I skipped this because Periphery was next and they didn't seem too interesting, so we just waited in the room where Periphery was playing next.
Periphery: I've waited a pretty long time to see this band live and man, it was worth the wait. Of course they've released 2 new albums since I became a fan and I was a bit disappointed that they only played 1 P2 song (Masamune) and no songs from P1, but the setlist was spectacular nonetheless. Prayer Position followed by The Bad Thing is possibly my favourite two-punch in a concert I've ever seen, so much energy. They encored with Lune which I thought might've been a bit boring, but in a live setting it was amazing, especially the chants in the end.

And in the end, I caught one of Matt Halpern's drum sticks. Since I was in the mosh pit and my brother wasn't we were separated so I walked back to him and he turned around with a huge smile on his face, and apparently he too caught a stick :metal

Upcoming: There's a lot of concerts in Patronaat (Haarlem) I'm thinking of going to. I will probably start volunteering there soon which also allows me to go to concerts for free, so I will likely go to all of them: The Faceless/Humanity's Last Breath, Animals As Leaders, Intervals/Polyphia, Leprous/Agent Fresco, And So I Watch You From Afar, Electric Wizard, Cryptopsy (don't know these guys but I'm gonna check them out and see if it's worth it)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
That sick (catching a stick)  :metal :metal

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: May 28, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Made some ticket purchases recently. Just upgraded one of my Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit tickets to a third row pit seat, I bought a ticket to another one of their shows, and I also bought a Paramore ticket. So my schedule will be as follows:

- July 2: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (with The Mountain Goats)
- August 27: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (with Amanda Shires)
- October 15: Paramore (with Best Coast)

Offline home

« Reply #273 on: May 29, 2017, 02:47:57 AM »
What a cool coincidence that you both caught a stick Train :metal
I'm also going to see And So I Watch You From Afar, I don't even listen tot them that often but they come in my hometown and are only 13 euro's so it's worth it. Also quite some friends are going so it'll be fun :azn:

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:39 AM »
Having missed a few recent gigs owing to my broken leg, my schedule for the rest of the year currently looks like this:

06/28 - Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress
09/29 - Big Big Train
10/13 - Marillion
10/23 - Tift Merritt
10/30 - Jason Isbell
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:24:29 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
Just found out Paradise Lost is in my country in October :dangerwillrobinson: and Pallbearer is supporting :dangerwillrobinson:
They were here last year, too but I didn't go because I started listening to them after I saw posters around the city and later their latest albums became one of my favorites of that year. I was kicking myself so much for not checking them out earlier, good thing I got second chance :lol. I hope their new album will deliver.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2017, 08:46:07 AM »
Sigur Ros was recently confirmed to play here in Argentina in November and I'm going batshit crazy about it. This is a band that I've wanted to see live for a long time and now I can't wait!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
Just found out Paradise Lost is in my country in October :dangerwillrobinson: and Pallbearer is supporting :dangerwillrobinson:
They were here last year, too but I didn't go because I started listening to them after I saw posters around the city and later their latest albums became one of my favorites of that year. I was kicking myself so much for not checking them out earlier, good thing I got second chance :lol. I hope their new album will deliver.

Yea, they are playing in London the night before I see the Distant Worlds Orchestra at The Royal Albert Hall. I should really get tickets as I really need to see both bands. I missed seeing Pallbearer in Bristol a few weeks ago  :tdwn

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
Up to date list below. I just recently grabbed my ticket for Mr Big. Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan tearing shit up will be worth the $40, doesn't matter that I won't be familiar with most of the setlist.

2/7-11 Cruise to the Edge (epic/amazing experience)
2/26 Pain of Salvation- Webster Hall NYC (great set, though the set felt a little on the short side)
5/11 Mastodon- Hammerstein Ballroom NYC (very good show)
5/19 Metallica- Gillette Stadium, MA (Excellent show, some cool pics posted in the Metallica thread)
6/4 Mr Big- BB Kings, NYC
7/22 Iron Maiden- Barclay's Center, NYC
8/22 Neal Morse Band- Gramercy Theater, NYC
9/1 Haken- Foundry @ Fillmore, Philly *VIP
9/2 Haken- Highline Ballroom, NYC
9/24 Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress- Irving Plaza, NYC

Still toying with Haken in DC on 9/3, but the Boston show is out of consideration.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
Having missed a few recent gigs owing to my broken leg, my schedule for the rest of the year currently looks like this:

09/29 - Big Big Train
10/13 - Marillion
10/23 - Tift Merritt
10/30 - Jason Isbell
Hey, I actually found another Jason Isbell fan here!  :metal