Author Topic: Your concerts for 2017  (Read 33408 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2017
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
Concert review time...

Thursday was Bon Jovi.  Got a pretty cool seat for 30 bucks a ticket the afternoon of the show.  First row in what is the Chase Bridge which is pretty high up, but a cool view from behind the stage which gave a cool perspective as we watched all the crazy fans in the front go nuts.  Was never a huge Bon Jovi fan, but he has a handful of songs I really do like.  He played for about 2.5 hours and included a lot of new songs which were not as crowd pleasing, but literally had the floor shaking for the hits.  Also, the arena was filled with about 75% old ladies.  Definitely odd being one of the few dudes, let alone under 40 dude.  I was quite annoyed when we got to our seats because there were four old ladies who must have gone shopping during the day as my seat had a bag in it and the floor was covered in shopping backs that made it almost impossible to get to my seat.  One old lady yelled at me for stepping on her toe... she didn't even attempt to give me space to move in through the row to my seat.  I made it a point to grab beer and bathroom breaks more often than I normally would.  He plays the same setlist every night but rotates a song or two in the encore, that night we got Runaway and I was super pumped as it may be my favorite song of his.

Bon Jovi - Roller Coast Live Madison Square Garden

Then Saturday was Poison and Def Leppard.  I'm a big Def Leppard fan, but they played the exact same setlist and had the exact same stage show as last summer so they really didn't do much for me.  It was fun and all, the performance was great, but for me it wasn't anything special.  However, I had never seen Poison and their shorter more energetic setlist as one of the openers (Tesla also opened, but I missed them) really had the crowd going wild.  They were really good and left me impressed.  Also, another show that was female dominated.  I was surrounded by old ladies in my seat again.  This time, as soon as I arrived the old lady next to me goes "Good luck with your view" and points to a young couple standing in front of me.  So I say "Oh, that's not a problem" and I then stood the entire concert.  This lady also asked the couple in front of me to sit during Poison and they listened.  I spoke to them between sets and they were LIVID.  I felt bad for them and it made me angry at the old lady.  No one ever told me to sit, which was for the best because I wasn't going to.  Really fun concert though.

Cramx3 Def Leppard & Poison Concert Experience

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Is it common for them to sell seats behind the stage like that up there? Don't recall ever seeing that down here. And if that's an end stage setup it had to be pretty loud with those two arrays in your face like that.

In any case, I've never seen people with such twisted panties when it comes to people standing as the folk up there. I just don't get it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
Looking at Sabaton in early May, Mindmaze later in the month. Doesn't seem Evergrey/Need is going to announce a SF date even though the promoter mentioned on FB to be patient.

I'm patient, I swear, but.....

Haken in Sept is a gimme, no chance I'll miss them again.

Anathema announced east coast dates, once again telling the west coast to bite it. Grrrrrr.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
Anathema announced east coast dates, once again telling the west coast to bite it. Grrrrrr.

So you're saying I should go to the Toronto show?  Not much of a fan, but I did enjoy them on ProgNation @ Sea.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2017, 05:09:54 AM »
Pain of Salvation was just spot on live, especially Daniel Gildenlöw it's amazing how much emotion his voice carries.  :angel:

It was also the last show of the tour and the crew put bread and fruit on all the pedals, keyboards and drums and ragnar made an appearance in a bra  :lol At the end of the show the lads from Port Noir were jumping around on stage and one of them accidently knocked Daniel down giving him a bloody nose. He stood up again just in time to sing the next line of the song but he was apparently out for a little bit O.o
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »
Whaat Port Noir was supporting PoS? They're awesome but don't sound remotely alike :lol

Just bought tickets for Royal Blood in Paradiso, 24th of May :metal finally seeing them again. The new single is amazing, not sure if the album can live up to the debut but even if not I'm sure they will play some 'classics'. Either way they put up a fantastic show, but I can't help but feel this time it's gonna get way more crowded since they gained a lot of popularity really quickly as tickets are also double the price this time while it's in the same venue.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2017, 06:41:47 AM »
Awesome  :metal

Whaat Port Noir was supporting PoS? They're awesome but don't sound remotely alike :lol
Yuup, well they are both prog-metalish  :P But on pretty different ends of the genre yeah. I didn't really know them before going to the show but they were pretty good. The vocals especially were really great, I also loved the punchy and very audible bass sound. They did start to sound a little samey near the end of their show, but I was still very pleasantly suprised by them!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »
Haken was absolutely amazing!  :angel:

Out of the eleven times I have seen them, this was the best show they gave. The best setlist, the best stagr-performance. This band has come a very long way from being slightly sloppy and standing still most of the times. It was great seeing them, indeed.

I unfortunately didn't get the chance to speak with Elite for more than 10 minutes or so but I hope to see him at another show sometime.  :P

Yeah, sorry man. I couldn't be there earlier due to work and once they started playing I was too much into the music. Luckily another chance will surely pop up soon, maybe combined with TrainyTrain even, since we live in the same country, even though you would likely have to travel that huge distance once again :p it was cool speaking with you for those 10 minutes though :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »
Is it common for them to sell seats behind the stage like that up there? Don't recall ever seeing that down here. And if that's an end stage setup it had to be pretty loud with those two arrays in your face like that.

In any case, I've never seen people with such twisted panties when it comes to people standing as the folk up there. I just don't get it.

I don't believe it is common but depends on the band and stage set up.  I googled it before I bought the tickets because I was concerned, but the few reviews I found were all very positive and honestly, it was awesome to experience it like that.  I did have one demand from my gf when buying those tickets though, I need to be in the first row so I could look down and make sure I got the best view from that area (which I believe we did get).  The sound was fine from the back, it actually sounded better than any other concert I could recall at MSG (which typically is not good).

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
+ Neal Morse

2/7-11 Cruise to the Edge (epic/amazing experience)
2/26 Pain of Salvation- Webster Hall NYC (great set, though the set felt a little on the short side)
5/11 Mastodon- Hammerstein Ballroom NYC
5/19 Metallica- Gillette Stadium, MA
7/22 Iron Maiden- Barclay's Center, NYC
8/22 Neal Morse Band- Gramercy Theater, NYC
9/1 Haken- Foundry @ Fillmore, Philly
9/2 Haken- Highline Ballroom, NYC
9/24 Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress- Irving Plaza, NYC

haven't pulled the trigger yet on Boston or DC Haken, but they're both strong possibilities at this point.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
Right now my list consists of Iron Maiden and now The Neal Morse Band!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »
Here is the list of concerts I'd like to see. There's an asterisk next to the definites.

Apr. 22 - Periphery (Revolution Bar & Music Hall)
Apr. 25-29 - Jane Monheit (Birdland)
*Jun 16 - Fates Warning (Gramercy)
*Jul 15 - King's X (Sellersville Theater 1894)
*Jul 20 - Jane Monheit (92nd St. Y)
Aug 12 - Yes (PNC Bank Arts Center)
*******Aug 17 - Anathema (Gramercy)
****Aug 22 - Neal Morse (Gramercy)
****Sep 2 - Haken (Highline Ballroom)
Oct 13 - ProgStock Festival (Union County PAC)
Dec 13-14 - Andrea Bocelli (MSG)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »
Saw Alter Bridge last month. Almost saw Cohered & Cambria last weekend but it didn't work out. I hope to be able to see DT when they bring I&W25 to North America.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »
Saw Alter Bridge last month. Almost saw Cohered & Cambria last weekend but it didn't work out. I hope to be able to see DT when they bring I&W25 to North America.

How was the AB show?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Delain and Hammerfall was a really fun show the other night.  Stage 48 is a solid venue too.  I got a free beer after it took forever for the guy to swipe my credit card and also easily was able to sneak into the VIP second floor area (where I had an amazing view for Delain).

Anyway, Hammerfall went on first and I had only heard a few songs of theirs previously.  I thought what I heard was good, but nothing crazy but did think there was potential for a good show from them and they delivered.  They were great.  Definitely had some good sing along moments as well as awesome guitar playing.  When they finished, a chunk of people left for the night.  Which was what allowed me to sneak right up to the balcony edge for Delain. 

Hammerfall - Dethrone and Defy Live Stage 48 NYC

Delain was great.  I've seen them 3 times before but always as the opener so finally got a full setlist which was great.  I really like the new album so it was cool to see those songs.  Sadly we got Pendulum instead of Danse Macabre, but whatever.  The song Don't Let Go really got the crowd going at the end.  I left my lovely spot on the balcony to get back into the pit for the end and saw a bunch of familiar faces that I run into at shows.  Lot's of fun.  Also funny is that the guy I was standing next to in the VIP area was also at the Nightwish concert, another concert where I snuck into the better balcony seating  :lol

Delain - April Rain Live Stage 48

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »
Added the Tori Amos show today.....

Seen

February 18th - Stockholm, Fryshuset Arenan - Dream Theater

March 7th - Stockholm, Munchebryggeriet- Gojira

March 9th - Stockholm, Ericsson Globe Arena - Disturbed & Avenged Sevenfold

March 28th - Eskilstuna, Lokomotivet - Pain of Salvation

April 1st - Malmö, KB - The Neal Morse Band

Upcoming

May 16th - Katowice, Spodek Arena - Dream Theater (on a trip with work)

July 2nd - Malmö, Slagthuset - Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress

September 23rd - Copenhagen, Koncerthuset - Tori Amos

October 13th - Stockholm, Bryggarsalen - IQ

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Seeing The King Blues tonight  :metal :metal :metal

Edit: So The King Blues were great last night. They played about 25 songs over an hour and a half, it was a perfect sing-along night. One thing I love about these guys is that they are quite politically charged. A fair bit of their music is about sitting up and taking notice to what is happening in our world and realising we all have the power to do something about it. I think it's a great message as apathy is a big problem in the world today. Anyway, one of the highlights was lead singer Itch performing "What If Punk Never Happened?" as a spoken word piece.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KQeHbMSqRxU

This performance isn't from last night but it's a good quality video of it. I love the message here, from a young, rude boy, punk poet  :hefdaddy he gives a shit, I like that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:33:35 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
Here is the list of concerts I'd like to see. There's an asterisk next to the definites.

*******Aug 17 - Anathema (Gramercy) TICKET JUST PURCHASED!!
*******Sep 29 - Epica/Lacuna Coil (Playstation Theater) TICKET JUST PURCHASED!!

And Epica was just added to the list.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:35:44 PM by Prog Snob »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »

See ya there, added to my list as well

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »

See ya there, added to my list as well

Meet beforehand for a drink or three?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
Yea, friday night, I will be toasted  :lol also I love the playstation theater, one of my favorite venues in NYC.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
I might just go straight into Manhattan after work, get some food and drink.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »
Yea, I'll likely get a room and head right in after work and do the same so we'll talk in September again about this  :metal  They were so damn good last December (better than the first time I saw them a year before that) plus a better venue and they say they are bringing a stage show with them so I think this could be their best concert I've seen.  Just hope they change up the set list a bit although I'm all good with keeping it mostly new stuff.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
I'm finally getting to see Warpaint!!! (with Depeche Mode in October)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
Yea, I'll likely get a room and head right in after work and do the same so we'll talk in September again about this  :metal  They were so damn good last December (better than the first time I saw them a year before that) plus a better venue and they say they are bringing a stage show with them so I think this could be their best concert I've seen.  Just hope they change up the set list a bit although I'm all good with keeping it mostly new stuff.

Awesome. I'm so fucking stoked for this. If you have a room then I'll get a bottle of bourbon for the occasion.

I was going to get tickets for Shattered Fortress but they're expensive. I'd rather see Epica and then buy Haken tickets and see two shows for that price. I might ask my friend if he can get me in to the Portnoy show. Are you seeing Anathema?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
No, never really listened to them.  I have my ticket for The Shattered Fortress and still need to get mine for Haken and Epica.  I'm probably just going to hold off until closer though, I don't expect those to sell out and September is far away.  I already have AFI tickets on hand for a concert I can't attend and I've double booked myself before for shows that far out so I usually don't buy them unless I think those are potential sell out shows.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
That makes sense. Shattered Fortress could possibly sell out ahead of time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2017, 12:12:08 AM »
Next few weeks are looking fucked at work, think I may have to pass on Sabaton.  :-[

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
I might go see Styx and REO June 21. Would like to see Metallica in August, but I'm saving my money right now in case Dream Theater announces some North American dates.
 I'm starting to wonder if DT management is having second thoughts on a North American tour of Images and Words and Beyond, based on some venues in Europe being poorly attended.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
I hope not, I am very much waiting to see the announcements, but even if they don't do an extensive tour, they need to do select dates at least so the US crowd can experience this.   

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
They usually pack out the venues in Seattle. The third tier of the balcony at the Paramount was empty at The Astonishing show. Being that it was a Tuesday night may have had something to do with it. It was an incredible show, I was a little disappointed in the lower attendance.
I think the Seattle crowd would show up for the Images and Words anniversary. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »
I hope not, I am very much waiting to see the announcements, but even if they don't do an extensive tour, they need to do select dates at least so the US crowd can experience this.

They'll probably do a small tour of some major US cities.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #242 on: May 03, 2017, 02:32:40 AM »
Added Bad Religion (which I've never seen live since I became a fan in 1991) on the 28th of july in Amsterdam.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #243 on: May 03, 2017, 02:48:28 AM »
Added Bad Religion (which I've never seen live since I became a fan in 1991) on the 28th of july in Amsterdam.

Nice  :tup I've seen them about 3-4 times I think. They may not be the most energetic on stage nowadays but they put on a solid performance  :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #244 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »
Yeah, I do own some dvd's by them and they're not the most enigmatic band on stage. But I just want to be able to belt out 'the hits' I've been singing along with for so long...  :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....