Author Topic: Your concerts for 2017  (Read 33406 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: Your concerts for 2017
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »
Jan - Metallica
Feb - Animals As Leaders
Mar - Chick Corea Elektric Band
Apr - Generation Axe
May - Hotei Tomoyasu
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2017, 02:42:30 AM »
Gojira and Car Bomb were fucking awesome, the TWOAF (Toxic Garbage Island, Vacuity) and FMTS (Flying Whales, Backbone) songs came out perfectly, and they played and extended version of my favourite Magma song (Pray). Setlist was very heavy on Magma, understandably, but the crowd freaking loved it which made me enjoy it more too. Just now I remember how wild The Cell was, though I might consider staying on the balcony the next time, I was constantly being pushed from side to side. :lol

Code Orange though, holy shit. The instrumentation was alright and at times pretty cool actually, but they had 3 vocalists (drummer, 2 guitar players) and one of them had a really annoying core voice, another had an almost black metal voice, and the third I still don't know whether it was a boy or a girl (both by voice and appearance). This band drew in real dickheads though, which was my main gripe. Apparently these guys do martial arts in the mosh pits, and I (not even standing inside the actual mosh pit) received a karate kick in my upper back, still hurts like hell. Anyone got experience with these emo/hardcore like mosh pits? There was also one dude literally running circles along the border of the circle and punching (full power) random spectators, he got put in his place though. I think those guys might just be nutcases but maybe this is something people actually do at these type of shows? Let me know if you're familiar with this

____

Back on topic, gonna see Twelve Foot Ninja (+ Hibakusha / Uneven Structure) on the 19th of April :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2017, 02:54:40 AM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:01:32 AM by FOXAN03 »

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2017, 02:58:08 AM »
So far:

Avenged Sevenfold (02 Arena London 22/01/17)
Devin Townsend Project (Eventim Apollo London 22/01/17)
Haken (Islington Assembly Hall, London 26/03/17)

To come:

Dream Theater (Eventim Apollo London 23/04/17)
Iron Maiden (02 Arena London 28/05/17)
Guns N Roses (Olympic Stadium 17/06/17)
Mike Portnoy Shattered Fortress (Koko London 28/06/17)
Metallica (02 Arena London 22/10/17)

tried getting Dragonforce tickets as well but failed, hoping to see a few other bands this year as well

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
Stuff.
Hey, sorry, my buddy who is going on Friday night decided when I saw him last weekend to swap tickets since Saturday is actually easier for him to make.  So my Saturday tickets are all gone, I do have one for Friday in Brooklyn now though if you wanted that one for face value (about 50 bucks cheaper than stubhub before fees).  The Saturday show isn't sold out though, there's a lot of seats open, although no floor.  Sorry. 

No worries, that's on me for taking forever to get my plans sorted. I already have a ticket for Saturday, but it's a seat (lower section) rather than floor, so I was hoping to upgrade. Seat might not be bad though, gives me more time to drink beforehand since I don't have to worry about getting a decent spot  :yarr

You going to the Saturday show?

Yea Ill be at both, and the Jersey show 6 weeks earlier.  :metal

Nice :metal I'll probably spend most of the day drinking in the city if you want to meet up for beers at some point.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
Yea, I should be around, I expect to just spend the weekend either in NYC or Brooklyn.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »
Gojira and Car Bomb were fucking awesome, the TWOAF (Toxic Garbage Island, Vacuity) and FMTS (Flying Whales, Backbone) songs came out perfectly, and they played and extended version of my favourite Magma song (Pray). Setlist was very heavy on Magma, understandably, but the crowd freaking loved it which made me enjoy it more too. Just now I remember how wild The Cell was, though I might consider staying on the balcony the next time, I was constantly being pushed from side to side. :lol

Code Orange though, holy shit. The instrumentation was alright and at times pretty cool actually, but they had 3 vocalists (drummer, 2 guitar players) and one of them had a really annoying core voice, another had an almost black metal voice, and the third I still don't know whether it was a boy or a girl (both by voice and appearance). This band drew in real dickheads though, which was my main gripe. Apparently these guys do martial arts in the mosh pits, and I (not even standing inside the actual mosh pit) received a karate kick in my upper back, still hurts like hell. Anyone got experience with these emo/hardcore like mosh pits? There was also one dude literally running circles along the border of the circle and punching (full power) random spectators, he got put in his place though. I think those guys might just be nutcases but maybe this is something people actually do at these type of shows? Let me know if you're familiar with this

____

Back on topic, gonna see Twelve Foot Ninja (+ Hibakusha / Uneven Structure) on the 19th of April :metal

Gojira was fucking impressive. The moshpit was quite big so we were lucky to be at the bar in the back enjoying the show with a beer :metal

Happy with my tickets for the Dynamo Metal Meeting in Eindhoven to see Gojira again this summer!

I was thinking the same about Code Orange. Instrumentation ok but I'm nog a big fan of the vocals (is it a boy or a girl..)
Feels like they are still searching for their musical direction.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
Good to hear about Gojira.  Not familiar with them, but hearing good stuff from my friends and was planning on seeing them in May, with Devin Townsend opening and Opeth closing  :metal

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
I believe I saw them open for Mastodon a couple years back and they put on a pretty good show, at least for someone with zero familiarity with their work.
Photobucket sucks.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Good to hear about Gojira.  Not familiar with them, but hearing good stuff from my friends and was planning on seeing them in May, with Devin Townsend opening and Opeth closing  :metal

Love Gojira since about 10 years and was finally able to see the live this year.
Soo fricking tight and good... what a show!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2017, 03:05:32 AM »
Oh they definitely put on a great show. Nachtmerrie, assuming from his Dutch name, was at the same show. Huge moshpit and absolutely no clue where it begins or ends, but the venues they play are big enough to chill out in the back and still enjoy the show for the ones that don't like being pushed around 24/7. :lol Also that's a killer line-up, damn.

Saw Soen 2 days ago, amazing performance. The quiet passages came out so well in a live setting (Fraccions outro, The Words, Lucidity, etc.), a bit bummed that they ditched the soft outro of Jinn and instead made it into a full band jam, but still a fantastic show. They also had an incense thingy burning which made for a cool atmosphere.

I need some help to decide my next show here. On the 12th of April, my year membership at Melkweg (venue in Amsterdam) allows me to see 2 free concerts. They are however, on the same day at the same time, I don't know either band so I need some guidance. In the big room, there's a band called "Therapy?" which is alternative metal from what I gather from the googles. In the small room, a punk band called Counterfeit is playing which seems more up my alley, and I think it'll be easier to convince others to join me to this one than Therapy?. If anyone has seen these bands or at least knows their music I'd love to hear from you

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
Never heard of either, but I'd typically say to go with whats more up your ally.  However, maybe reach out to your friends now to see if there's any interest.  Also, just bought my ticket for that DTP/Gojira/Opeth concert.  I plan on youtubing the shit out of Gojira in the next month.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »
Never heard of either, but I'd typically say to go with whats more up your ally.  However, maybe reach out to your friends now to see if there's any interest.
Haha yeah I just marked myself 'interested' on Facebook this morning for the punk one and 2 friends commented that they'd like to join already so I guess it's gonna be that one.

As for Gojira, ff you are looking for separate songs, the ones that are going to stick at the show for sure are the infamous "elephant marching riff" songs, Gojira is seen as one of the bands to make this a thing. It's basically typically a slow pounding riff that you can imagine a horde of elephants marching to, and the crowd goes wild during these songs. Good examples are "Vacuity", "Backbone" and "Yama's Messengers". And then most of the songs off the last album came out live really well and were mostly the fan favourites, I'd recommend "Stranded", "Pray", "The Cell" and "Silvera".

For full albums, you're probably best off starting with the latest, "Magma". It's more atmospheric than their others and has clean vocals as well (they have some on the other albums but barely), but still sounds like the same band. Otherwise, "From Mars to Sirius" is considered their best album and has the fan favourite song on it: "Flying Whales". My personal favourite album is "The Way of All Flesh".

I'm sure you'll enjoy the show even if you don't like their music though, not to worry. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »
Yea, typically what I'll do nowadays if I am going to see a band that I am not familiar with is check out their setlist or recent setlists if they rotate songs, make a playlist of videos from youtube based on the songs being played, and enjoy. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
Oh they definitely put on a great show. Nachtmerrie, assuming from his Dutch name, was at the same show. Huge moshpit and absolutely no clue where it begins or ends, but the venues they play are big enough to chill out in the back and still enjoy the show for the ones that don't like being pushed around 24/7. :lol Also that's a killer line-up, damn.

Saw Soen 2 days ago, amazing performance. The quiet passages came out so well in a live setting (Fraccions outro, The Words, Lucidity, etc.), a bit bummed that they ditched the soft outro of Jinn and instead made it into a full band jam, but still a fantastic show. They also had an incense thingy burning which made for a cool atmosphere.

I need some help to decide my next show here. On the 12th of April, my year membership at Melkweg (venue in Amsterdam) allows me to see 2 free concerts. They are however, on the same day at the same time, I don't know either band so I need some guidance. In the big room, there's a band called "Therapy?" which is alternative metal from what I gather from the googles. In the small room, a punk band called Counterfeit is playing which seems more up my alley, and I think it'll be easier to convince others to join me to this one than Therapy?. If anyone has seen these bands or at least knows their music I'd love to hear from you

I really liked Therapy? in the nineties. Troublegum and Infernal Love were great albums. I suggest you check the songs 'Die Laughing, Isolation and Diane'. I'm sure you like it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2017, 06:40:09 AM »
I had been tracking prices and whatnot, but they just dropped on hotel rooms and looks like they are slowly going down on ticket prices on the 2nd hand market (face value is a bit too expensive and it's not going to sell out) but it seems likely that I am now going to...

Def Leppard, Poison, and Tesla at the New Nassau Coliseum Saturday April 15th.  The redone arena opens tonight with Billy Joel and there are a series of concerts the next two weeks including this one to celebrate the opening.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2017, 03:13:33 AM »
Seeing Ghost tonight.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
Devin Townsend, Gojira and Opeth on May 7th  :metal

I'll never pass up an opportunity to see Opeth as long as I don't have to take off of work to go  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

I'll never pass up an opportunity to see Opeth as long as I don't have to take off of work to go  :biggrin:

I'll be there as well  :metal

Also, snagged my Def Leppard/Poison/Tesla ticket yesterday for $100 under face value.  Pretty solid seat in the arena too.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »
Just added today....

Shattered Fortress at Slagthuset in Malmö on the 2nd of July

Seated theater, row 1 in the middle... so stoked for this which I figured out on the eve of seeing Neal Morse Band live but whoch was not made official until the tickets went live today.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »
So Haken announced their US tour so here my up to date concert calendar:

January 20th - Reel Big Fish and Anti-Flag @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
February 3rd - AFI @ Terminal 5, New York City NY
February 4th - AFI @ Paradise Rock Club, Boston MA
February 17th - Less Than Jake and Pepper @ Playstation Theater, New York City NY
March 7th - Red Hot Chili Peppers @ Staples Center, Los Angeles CA
March 10th - Amaranthe @ House of Independents, Asbury Park NJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 15th - Def Leppard and Poison @ Nassau Coliseum, Long Island NY
April 24th - Delain and Hammerfall @ Stage 48, New York City NY
May 7th - Devin Townsend Project, Gojira, & Opeth @ Starland Ballroom, NJ
May 14th - Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold @ Metlife Stadium, East Rutherford NJ
June 7th - Iron Maiden and Ghost @ Prudential Center, Newark NJ
July 11th - 311 @ Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City NY
July 14th - Incubus and Jimmy Eat World @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
July 15th - 311 @ Stone Pony, Asbury Park NJ
July 21st - Iron Maiden and Ghost @ Barclays Center, Brooklyn NY
July 22nd - Iron Maiden and Ghost @ Barclays Center, Brooklyn NY
August 4th - Rancid and Dropkick Murphys @ Stone Pony, Asbury Park NJ
August 28th - Deep Purple and Alice Cooper @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
September 2nd - Haken @ Highline Ballroom, New York City NY
September 12th - Sublime with Rome and Offspring @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
September 16th - Scorpions and Megadeath @ MSG, New York City NY
September 24th - Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress @ Irving Plaza, New York City NY

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »

I'll be there as well  :metal

Also, snagged my Def Leppard/Poison/Tesla ticket yesterday for $100 under face value.  Pretty solid seat in the arena too.

Awesome, I'll also be there for Haken at the Highline Ballroom in NYC on September 2nd  :tup

I saw Haken in NYC last year but I had to leave the show early to catch a bus back to Toms River... it was incredibly disappointing to miss the last few songs. I might end up staying in NYC that night so I don't have to worry about that this time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
Oh nice, Toms River, I'm in Hazlet.  And yea, I typically spend the night in the city for concerts, one to avoid having to leave to catch a bus/train, and two because I like to drink at concerts  :yarr

I missed the NYC Haken show last year cause I was down in Atlanta so I caught them there, sucked they cut a couple songs from the set since they weren't the headliner, but we got 1985 so I was happy.  I got to dig into their catalogue though, I have yet to do that.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »
Feb. 25th - Twenty-One Pilots in Greensboro, NC
May 5th-7th - ROSFest in Gettysburg, PA
May 12th - Bastille in Raleigh, NC
Sept. 5th - Haken in Durham, NC
Oct. 15th - Judah and the Lion in Raleigh, NC

Hopefully I will add the August date in Raleigh for Umphreys McGee, and if Dream Theater ever announces their Fall N.A. dates, I will hit one of those as well.  Also, there are assorted other spots on the calendar that will hopefully fill up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
May 5th - Coheed and Cambria in Silver Spring, MD
May 11th - Thank You Scientist in Richmond, VA
May 25th - Sigur Ros in Columbia, MD
June 8th - Ghost in Norfolk, VA
September 3rd - Haken in Washington, DC

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2017, 12:06:03 AM »
Just bought tickets for Haken. Tonight.  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2017, 07:33:45 AM »
Nice!  :metal Speaking of buying tickets the day of, it seems about 95% likely that I'm going to see Bon Jovi tonight.  He had to reschedule his two sold out shows at Madison Square Garden last week due to illness but the rescheduled date of tonight and Saturday are no longer sold out and stubhub tickets are pretty cheap for a shitty seat (which is fine, I'm no huge fan, just think it would be cool to see especially since he lives close by to me).

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2017, 03:19:51 AM »
Haken was absolutely amazing!  :angel: The band seemed to be so happy to be playing which was just great to see. I was pleasantly surprised there was even a (very short) moshpit during the dubstep-metal section in The Endless Knot  :metal I did miss half of Visions due to having to catch a train which was a shame but the concert was still so much worth it.

The Algorithm was pretty amazing live too, I really enjoyed their sound live. The last part of Brute Force stood out the most, that was just intense. Some of their djenty riffs did sound a bit too similar after a while tho. Next to None was okay, but I feel they just need some more time to mature their songwriting.

All in all it was just a great evening, I was originally traveling alone (meeting Elite at the show) but met up with Train of Naught for a beer before the show which was really nice. Then while standing in the line outside the venue I met some other people also traveling with the train from Groningen with whom I traveled back after the show. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to speak with Elite for more than 10 minutes or so but I hope to see him at another show sometime.  :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2017, 04:23:05 AM »
I hope The Algorithm will do a tour on their own sometime soon, they're French after all so I can imagine them doing more European tours.

Yeah, I swear the beer was cheaper there last time I went there sorry man :lol but it was nice meeting up again.

Not a lot of concerts planned for me. Tomorrow is Dubioza Kolektiv, really looking forward to that one! And then the next one is at the end of May (27th): Fortarock in the City Festival, the full line-up has been announced by now: Periphery, Destrage, The Contortionist, Decapitated, Batushka, The Charm The Fury, Dool, Noctem, Ulsect, Pelgrim. I instantly bought tickets when the first 3 names were announced (Periphery, Destrage and The Contortionist) thinking that it was gonna be very heavy on the progmetal side, but ever since they haven't announced a single prog band :lol, still looking forward to it though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2017, 06:22:56 AM »
Haken was absolutely amazing!  :angel: The band seemed to be so happy to be playing which was just great to see.

Love seeing bands visibly happy to be there.  It just makes the whole experience better as a fan.

Bon Jovi was awesome Thursday night and tonight the 80s continue with Def Leppard and Poison!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »
Opeth will be playing in my home town of Nashville, TN on May 4th after a 3 plus week break from playing in South America.  I am going solo and the venue is directly across the street from my office building.  This will be my first time seeing Opeth and Gojira.  I took a look at the set list from the previous shows and hope they mix it up a bit during the break. 

Mastadon will be playing the Ryman on May 17th with Eagles of Death Metal and Russian Circles.  I am considering this concert, but with two opening bands I will have to think about it.  Are the two opening bands any good live?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
Updated list for the year:

2/7-11 Cruise to the Edge (epic/amazing experience)
2/26 Pain of Salvation- Webster Hall NYC (great set, though the set felt a little on the short side)
5/11 Mastodon- Hammerstein Ballroom NYC
5/19 Metallica- Gillette Stadium, MA
7/22 Iron Maiden- Barclay's Center, NYC
9/1 Haken- Foundry @ Fillmore, Philly
9/2 Haken- Highline Ballroom, NYC
9/24 Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress- Irving Plaza, NYC

still also considering the Boston and DC Haken shows.

Fun fact: I googled "mike portnoy's shattered fortress nyc" to remind myself of what the venue is and the second search result was for the New York Fetish Fortress, which was advertising "Asian dominas and slaves from $170" :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
Haken was absolutely amazing!  :angel: The band seemed to be so happy to be playing which was just great to see. I was pleasantly surprised there was even a (very short) moshpit during the dubstep-metal section in The Endless Knot  :metal I did miss half of Visions due to having to catch a train which was a shame but the concert was still so much worth it.

The Algorithm was pretty amazing live too, I really enjoyed their sound live. The last part of Brute Force stood out the most, that was just intense. Some of their djenty riffs did sound a bit too similar after a while tho. Next to None was okay, but I feel they just need some more time to mature their songwriting.

All in all it was just a great evening, I was originally traveling alone (meeting Elite at the show) but met up with Train of Naught for a beer before the show which was really nice. Then while standing in the line outside the venue I met some other people also traveling with the train from Groningen with whom I traveled back after the show. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to speak with Elite for more than 10 minutes or so but I hope to see him at another show sometime.  :P

They were absolutely amazing. I really like the small venues but they deserve a bigger audience.
Good to see my favorite song of 2016 live, The Architect :metal

I was quite impressed and surprised by The Algorithm. Great support act, will consider them when they do a tour on their own.
Next to None have the musical skills but as stated before the songwriting needs some improvement.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
I can't keep the dates straight, but for now:

Neal Morse Band (already saw in January)
Devin Townsend (May)
Tears for Fears and Hall & Oates (May)
Muse (June)
Neal Morse Band at Morsefest x2 (September)
Haken (September)

And I am still debating going to Roger Waters in late May. Tickets appear to be not that expensive, so if I go, it will be a last minute thing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Amorphis was amazing last night.  They sounded great.  Hopeless Days, Bad Blood, and Death of a King fucking slayed.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.