Author Topic: Bootlegs v. My Legs Are Too Long For My Boots  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Bootlegs v. My Legs Are Too Long For My Boots
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:30:04 PM »
I know we have a section for Dream Theater bootlegs already but I wanted to start a discussion on bootleg trading in general and not just DT. I recently downloaded a handful of them from Dime. Here is my latest grab:

Anathema - 2016-11-10 - Holland
Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman - 2016-11-04 - New Buffalo, MI
Dream Theater - 2002-01-28 - Copenhagen DVD
Dream Theater - 2016-04-18 - Albany, NY
Dream Theater - 2016-10-10 - Concorn, NH
Dream Theater - 2016-10-18 - Worcester, MA
Peter Gabriel - 2002-11-25 - Boston, MA
Tony Harnell - 2012-08-18 - New York City
Jewel - 1997-07-14 - Alaska
Mozart played by the Budapest Festival Orchestra (soprano Lucy Crowe) 2016-08-23
Rush - 2004-06-12 - Maryland Heights, MO
Rush - 2007-06-13 - Atlanta, GA - Tastes Like Chicken DVD
Savatage and TSO - 2015-07-30 - Wacken Open Air DVD
Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier played by Boston Symphony Orchestra (Renee Fleming soprano  :heart ) - 2016-10-01 - Boston, MA
Tchaikovsky's Charodeyka played by Bolshoi Theatre Opera Orchestra - 2012-06-26 - Moscow

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Bootlegs v. My Legs Are Too Long For My Boots
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:14:33 AM »
Not gonna list individual stuff, but off the top of my head, I have bootlegs by these bands:

Bob Dylan
The Grateful Dead (at last count, 21gig, about 75-100 shows)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Fire! Orchestra
Damien Rice
Phish
Metallica
Jeff Buckley
Ryan Adams
John Butler Trio
Sigur Ros
Fat Freddy's Drop

and I'm sure there are others.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
Some really good selections there. Jeff Buckley is always a treat to hear live. I've never heard a Sigur Ros bootleg before. I imagine it being extremely ethereal.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
Only bootlegs I really care about are by Warpaint, which surprisingly are none from this tour.  But it's made up for with pro shot videos.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
I didn't know who they were until I just Google'd them. They're definitely nice to look at.  :biggrin:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
So is the girl in your sig!  Who is she?

Playing great music is the most important thing, but  yea the looks are a bonus.  And they don't sexualize themselves either, just cool chicks next door.  I like that.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:11:46 PM »
Alexandra Daddario

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
Strangely, I'm not much into bootlegs except for a small handful of bands, but I get a ton of enjoyment from those.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
I totally get that. It's only a handful for me, too, but sometimes I'll come across something that piques my interests and I'll want to hear it. Like, when Alice in Chains came back with the new singer, I was curious to hear what it would sound like so I waited for the first bootleg to surface.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 01:33:51 AM »
I had a big collection of bootlegs years ago, but I deleted all of them once I realized I never listened to any of them, that most of them sounded the same and most had bad quality. They were lossless and were occupying a lot of space, so... There are a few soundboard bootlegs worth having, but the rest... I rather listen to the original album or live album.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 02:02:59 AM »
I get that. I used to have a lot more also, but I deleted so many. Not the Dream Theater ones though. Those I have backed up somewhere.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
I totally get that. It's only a handful for me, too, but sometimes I'll come across something that piques my interests and I'll want to hear it. Like, when Alice in Chains came back with the new singer, I was curious to hear what it would sound like so I waited for the first bootleg to surface.

I binged on five Talking Heads bootlegs over the weekend on You Tube.  They would be nice to have on DVD, but I just can't do that. Nothing would ever get done. That's one reason why I have to put a lid on it.

Too much music. Too little time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 12:55:24 AM »
I hear that. Life gets in the way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 06:57:01 AM »
I used to be a very active taper and trader from the mid-to-late-1990s until about 2009. To be honest, it just got so complicated. By that I mean, as technology enabled anyone to record stuff easily, it became difficult to really keep track of all the different versions of shows out there, the varying quality, etc. Plus, a lot of bands starting in the 2010s ramped up touring so much, it wasn't as special of a deal for a band to come play once every two or three years. They were back annually, often multiple times per year. It took away (at least for me) the enjoyment of it all.

I did the DIME thing for a while. While I respect their rules and reasons for them, it also soured me a bit, because of the strictness. In addition, the last straw for me was people literally demanding that I share everything I had amassed over the years. Example - I contacted a guy, exchanged trading lists, saw a couple of gigs I wanted. I told the guy, hey, you have two shows I want. I'm happy to give you five shows in return for those two. He came back and literally told me if I wanted those two gigs, I needed to fill an entire CDR spindle for him. When I said I didn't have time, he cussed me out. Seriously.

People just got rude and unappreciative, and it was just the end of the line for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
A whole spindle? That's excessive. Some people are just outright nasty because they can be. They act like they're holding a government secret over your head. I think you should have asked what he wanted first. You could have asked if he wanted something that you didn't have that you could find for him. He saw you willing to give more than you were getting so he took advantage of that because he knew he had nothing to lose. Which shows were they, by the way? Did you ever wind up getting them?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
I never did, no. One was a Jerry Cantrell gig from the Degradation Trip tour that i saw. Not sure of the other. It was a long time ago.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »
I liked the European CD bootlegs of the 90's, with their own titles and artwork.  The artwork mostly sucked, but they tried...haha.  Downloading them now is not as fun.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
Been taping since the late '70's and used to go to a lot of shows. Like most tapers did the Dime and Sharing The Groove thing until two things happened. I started seeing my shows up for sale on EBay and leaches demanding shows to be posted. For me, it started so I could listen to a good show again and again. Also for my friends who couldn't go to the show. Now a days, I still tape but haven't publicly posted a show in probably 5 years.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
And that's to the loss of everyone. How are things Bob?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »
And that's to the loss of everyone. How are things Bob?

You know where to find my recordings  ;)
Getting back into the video world on the west coast after my east coast hiatus. Been doing a fair amount of work with a certain ex-DT member.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
I liked the European CD bootlegs of the 90's, with their own titles and artwork.  The artwork mostly sucked, but they tried...haha.  Downloading them now is not as fun.

Downloading bootlegs...well downloading just about anything without context kind of devalues the music and cheapens the experience my opinion. It's much more fun if care is taken on an individual basis.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 07:16:20 PM »
Downloading bootlegs...well downloading just about anything without context kind of devalues the music and cheapens the experience my opinion. It's much more fun if care is taken on an individual basis.

Umm..John, the Old Fogey Thread can be found here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44.2030

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

Umm..John, the Old Fogey Thread can be found here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44.2030

;D

Thanks!

Didn't know they segregated us....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »

Oh, I know.  ;)

Getting back into the video world on the west coast after my east coast hiatus. Been doing a fair amount of work with a certain ex-DT member.

Chris Collins?  :biggrin:

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »
I was way into bootleg trading in the early 00's, when I was a college student and had all sorts of free time.  I lacked the capacity to burn cd's, but I had no problem mailing a few blanks in a 2-for-1 trade.  By the middle of the decade, I had completely lost interest in bootlegs and rediscovered how much I loved some of my favorite band's live albums.  I hated listening to crappy bootlegs - why even bother wasting time listening to a show that has awful sound?

I still enjoy trying to find recordings of shows that I went to, but I rarely listen to them, and since Youtube is so popular, I can often find some decent videos of shows that I was at if I want to relive it. 

A few years ago, I did download most of the free shows from Livemetallica.com, which are of decent to great quality.  I also went through my old cd bootlegs and threw out the ones where the discs had broken down or developed scratching sounds over the audio, and then imported the good ones into a separate I-tunes library just to have digital copies of some of my efforts from a decade prior.  The goal was really to just eliminate a box of cd's that was taking up shelf space in my basement.   ;D

Offline dparrott

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
I hated listening to crappy bootlegs - why even bother wasting time listening to a show that has awful sound?

Yea I hate that and I don't listen to those either. I hate recordings with more crowd than music too.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »

Oh, I know.  ;)

Chris Collins?  :biggrin:

NO, Charlie   :rollin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 08:05:28 PM »
 :lol

Will we hear about it over at GDT?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
:lol

Will we hear about it over at GDT?

This is an official label release Blu ray and CD set.
Programming menus this weekend.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 05:56:49 AM »
Very nice. I'll be looking forward to it.