Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148603 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1365 on: February 02, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »
But, yes, they are bringing it to the U.S.  They've already confirmed that.  They just haven't said when.  We'll know soon enough, I'm sure.
They keep saying "soon".

So, I guess we'll find out in October or so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1366 on: February 02, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Likely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: February 02, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
And DT's official site just trolled me via email!  "Come see DT in 2017!"  and I'm thinking yes, they announced US dates... nope just lists the European dates.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1368 on: February 02, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »
It got me too  :lol
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1369 on: February 02, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »
 :lol Same here, literally just happened 30 seconds ago.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1370 on: February 02, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »
I'm not a musician, but I don't think DT has dropped the tuning on these at all.

Just to point this out, this isn't really a matter of opinion. Several songs are a semitone lower than on the album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1371 on: February 02, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »
But, yes, they are bringing it to the U.S.  They've already confirmed that.  They just haven't said when.  We'll know soon enough, I'm sure.
They keep saying "soon".

So, I guess we'll find out in October or so.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1372 on: February 02, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »

Yep. Me as well....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1373 on: February 02, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
And DT's official site just trolled me via email!  "Come see DT in 2017!"  and I'm thinking yes, they announced US dates... nope just lists the European dates.

It got me too  :lol

Yep. Me as well....

I too have become intimately familiar with those feels :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1374 on: February 02, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
I'm not a musician, but I don't think DT has dropped the tuning on these at all.

Just to point this out, this isn't really a matter of opinion. Several songs are a semitone lower than on the album.

Thanks. I didn't know. Appreciate the clarification. I thought it could have been just a tick lower, but I wasn't sure because it was YouTube, and unlike a musician who can probably pick up on it right away, it sounded pretty close to me, so I just assumed it was standard tuning.

Without derailing the thread -- what's a semitone lower? I get what a half step and full step down are in regard to guitar tunings. But a semitone lower? How does one accomplish this and how does it help the singer?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1375 on: February 02, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »
"Semitone" = "half step." 

"Tone" = "full step."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: February 02, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
Semitone lower = Song in E major is now in E flat major.

James doesn't have to sing as high.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1377 on: February 03, 2017, 08:28:43 AM »
To some degree, JLB is stuck between a rock and a hard place. When you look at the YT comments, people are pretty damn critical of James' vocal performances. But at the same time, when you look at the video of LTL, people stand up and cheer at the F# (well, F). So, from DT's perspective they see that the fans are kinda Pavlovian dogs that need to hear an F#, otherwise it wasn't a good concert for them. I think that may also be the reason why they keep inserting these high notes on their records, despite knowing entirely well that James will struggle with them live.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1378 on: February 03, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
JLB usually doesn't sound that good in the first night of the tour, and for his dismay the videos recorded from the opening night are the videos most people see (most views, usually), and they usually extrapolate that JLB sucks from there. I've been seeing videos from the Padova performance and it is, in my opinion, miles better than the Rome performance, but that's something people will never know lol.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:52:29 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1379 on: February 03, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
Weeelll, that's probably also a bit of a function of not rehearsing beforehand. I have never even heard such a thing, that a band would start a world tour before having had a full rehearsal.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1380 on: February 03, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
Good thing Samsara already quoted me in his signature so I don't have to make a comment.

...and yet I just did. Do not mind pointing out the irony, I'm aware of it.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: February 03, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
Good thing Samsara already quoted me in his signature so I don't have to make a comment.

...and yet I just did. Do not mind pointing out the irony, I'm aware of it.  :lol

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1382 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
I've said this before but, if you want to judge JLB then go to a show for yourself or watch/listen to official, professionally recorded live releases. The very worst thing you can do is judge from a crappy cell phone video on YouTube. In person he sounds (in my experience at least) ten times better than what you see online.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: February 03, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
I've said this before but, if you want to judge JLB then go to a show for yourself or watch/listen to official, professionally recorded live releases. The very worst thing you can do is judge from a crappy cell phone video on YouTube. In person he sounds (in my experience at least) ten times better than what you see online.

Well, yes and no. Professionally recorded live releases tend to be fixed up in the studio, particularly bad vocal moments. It's part of the deal. I do agree with a lot of the cell footage on YouTube, but you CAN get a good ballpark idea on how someone is singing. Particularly if you compare the same song on multiple dates.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1384 on: February 03, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
Yeah, virtually every DT release of the last 10 years has been "touched up", especially in the vocal department. If you really want to judge James' live performance, check out DT's performance at Wacken Open Air in 2015.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1385 on: February 03, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
You mean the show where he makes a noise like a sheep at the end of Panic Attack
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1386 on: February 03, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
To some degree, JLB is stuck between a rock and a hard place. When you look at the YT comments, people are pretty damn critical of James' vocal performances. But at the same time, when you look at the video of LTL, people stand up and cheer at the F# (well, F). So, from DT's perspective they see that the fans are kinda Pavlovian dogs that need to hear an F#, otherwise it wasn't a good concert for them. I think that may also be the reason why they keep inserting these high notes on their records, despite knowing entirely well that James will struggle with them live.

Ouch. That would be a bit of a depressing (and probably incorrect) view for them to have on their fans. Maybe this is just me stroking my own ego, but I don't think the band thinks this way. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1387 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
What I've seen on many videos from the TA tour, and now from the few shows they've played this year is that James often sings some phrases earlier, out of time.

One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPLT34yxK0 look at 1:29, he sings the second chorus a bit earlier.
On TGOM, for example, he sings out of time the phrase "he'll be the one to save us all". I noticed this on a lot of videos from the TA tour.

And, no, that has nothing to do with the video/recording quality, it's actually bad timing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1388 on: February 03, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »
Yeah, virtually every DT release of the last 10 years has been "touched up", especially in the vocal department. If you really want to judge James' live performance, check out DT's performance at Wacken Open Air in 2015.

Nope..

If you really want to "judge" his live performance, you should listen more than one mere show, and even more when it's one of his worst..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Evai

« Reply #1389 on: February 03, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
Hey guys it's rock n' roll, it's not meant to be perfect. Go to a classical recital for that
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1390 on: February 03, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »
What I've seen on many videos from the TA tour, and now from the few shows they've played this year is that James often sings some phrases earlier, out of time.

One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPLT34yxK0 look at 1:29, he sings the second chorus a bit earlier.
On TGOM, for example, he sings out of time the phrase "he'll be the one to save us all". I noticed this on a lot of videos from the TA tour.

And, no, that has nothing to do with the video/recording quality, it's actually bad timing.
But then again, that's one show. I've heard easily 20+ bootlegs from the TA tour cycle and out of those 20, probably he had timing issues with one or two shows but I don't care. If John Petrucci misses a note in any given solo, nobody goes like: 'OMG HE CAN'T PLAY ANYMORE WTF IS WRONG WITH HIM' in the same fashion people usually go against JLB. With that tour, people were extremely quick to assume JLB would do a bad job throughout because he had a hit & miss debut night at London last year; which is exactly what's happening with this tour. And hey, know what? JLB didn't do a bad job in that tour. He was far from perfect, but he sang his ass off and putsome pretty great performances throughout although sadly that one first night at London remains with the most views in YouTube.

Nope..

If you really want to "judge" his live performance, you should listen more than one mere show, and even more when it's one of his worst..
And I agree with this. Remember LAB? Hardly one of JLB's best official live performances out of a tour in which he had some truly magnificent nights. How come some 'untouched' performances sound so much better when compared to the 'touched' official performance? That's not usually the case (at least not with JLB), and that's why I kindly disagree wholeheartedly with the 'if you want a true grasp of JLB live go and check out the Wacken show' idea. I'll agree with something tho: James LaBrie is NOT a consistent live singer, that's for sure, but he hardly deserves the hate he usually gets.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:19:28 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: February 03, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »

Nope..

Yea completely agree.  You don't typically judge anyone or anything on a sample size of 1.  And sometimes of judgement throw out the best and worst results to leave you with what is more typical.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1392 on: February 03, 2017, 03:41:34 PM »
Have you guys listened to any TA live recording? Or to the BTFW bootleg?

I'm not saying James can't have a good day anymore, but the bad days dominate these days.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1393 on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
Hardly.  Anyone who has seen them on multiple dates can easily verify that that isn't the case.  Cherry picking a few bad shows or a few bad notes from shows doesn't somehow make "bad days predominate."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1394 on: February 03, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Have you guys listened to any TA live recording? Or to the BTFW bootleg?

I'm not saying James can't have a good day anymore, but the bad days dominate these days.
Lots of TA live recordings and not the BTFW bootleg, although I have quite some AFTR tour bootlegs on my drive and I stand by my point. He's not consistent at all but he's not as bad as you pose him to be. Also, several of the problems that are easy for us to spot on bootlegs are not as noticeable on the live setting. I remember being amazed by James live in the two TA shows I saw last year and then realizing he went out of tune in a couple of spots after listening to live recordings of those nights, but not caring that much.
I can only imagine there are guys that go to DT concerts waiting for the moment JLB screws something up, and that's quite a waste of the $80 or whatever you payed to see them lol.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1395 on: February 03, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
The only thing I think they ought to change in the set list is the order of the first set.  I am a big believer in the first two songs being big crowd pleasers, and while The Bigger Picture is great, it being the second song just seems odd, just like The Shattered Fortress being second on the Along for the Ride tour was odd.  They seem to like putting a somewhat newer song they hadn't played yet live as the second song, but I think something like that is better suited for the middle of the set list.  Bust out a couple of live mainstays before going with something that has never been played before.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
The only thing I think they ought to change in the set list is the order of the first set.  I am a big believer in the first two songs being big crowd pleasers, and while The Bigger Picture is great, it being the second song just seems odd, just like The Shattered Fortress being second on the Along for the Ride tour was odd.  They seem to like putting a somewhat newer song they hadn't played yet live as the second song, but I think something like that is better suited for the middle of the set list.  Bust out a couple of live mainstays before going with something that has never been played before.

I agree, but I found TSF to be a fine second song because it's so energetic.  TBP isn't quite that. 

Hardly.  Anyone who has seen them on multiple dates can easily verify that that isn't the case.  Cherry picking a few bad shows or a few bad notes from shows doesn't somehow make "bad days predominate."

Yea, I saw them twice and JLB was the highlight both nights.  Maybe if I listened to a bootleg I would notice the mistakes moreso, but that doesn't take away from my experience of really enjoying his vocals in person.  But rumborak, in other threads you always seem to point out the one bootleg that is terrible and cherry pick the content.  He isn't perfect, never was and never will be. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1397 on: February 03, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »
I think a lot of JLB's issues happen when he tries too hard.  When I saw the band on the TA tour back in November, he sounded great in the first set; he sang everything well and never tried too hard.  And then the second set happened, where he tried a handful of times to do those concert moments where he belts it out with reckless abandon, but it usually sounds like a train wreck when he does that.  Just sing it as it is on the album and you'll be fine most of the time, James. :tup :tup

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1398 on: February 03, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

Verified.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1399 on: February 03, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
Just sing it as it is on the album and you'll be fine most of the time, James. :tup :tup

But what's the fun in doing that?.. We shouldn't forget that, besides taking care of his voices, which I think he's doing it in certain scale, he also wants to have some fun while singing, same way the other guys having fun with their own instruments..

I agree that he doesn't have the "duty", so to speak, to force himself in parts where the original thing is actually less demandant than what he ends up doing, but I don't think he should or want to sing like a robot everything exactly as he sung in the studio version..

Moreover, those small variations comes hand in hand with improvisation itself and how things turns out in a live presentation.. Meaning: I don't think he can change the way he sing even if he wants to do it for some reason..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)