Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148596 times)

Offline pcs90

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1330 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:56 PM »
I hate it when Jordan takes liberty with Kevin's solos.  They shouldn't be that difficult to replicate.  On BTFW, the biggest disappointment was his solo on Scarred.

I know it probably doesn't make a big deal to him, but I'm used to hearing that specific solo, and JP does a great job replicating his.
Normally I agree. However in the case of Scarred I don't mind that one being changed, didn't find the original keyboard solo to be that interesting to begin with. Certainly not Kevin's best solo IMO. And if you sort through all of the runs JR adds, there are melodies in there, though I wish he'd make them more obvious and take some of the flash out if he's going to change them.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1331 on: January 31, 2017, 10:54:18 PM »
Normally I agree. However in the case of Scarred I don't mind that one being changed, didn't find the original keyboard solo to be that interesting to begin with. Certainly not Kevin's best solo IMO. And if you sort through all of the runs JR adds, there are melodies in there, though I wish he'd make them more obvious and take some of the flash out if he's going to change them.

Well, I guess to each his own then!  :D  The Scarred keyboard solo is possibly my favorite keyboard solo in DT's entire catalog.  It's between that and those jazzy fills Derek puts in Lines in the Sand.

Jordan's best work is Blind Faith.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1332 on: January 31, 2017, 11:20:12 PM »
Well, I guess to each his own then!  :D  The Scarred keyboard solo is possibly my favorite keyboard solo in DT's entire catalog.  It's between that and those jazzy fills Derek puts in Lines in the Sand.

Jordan's best work is Blind Faith.
I may have to agree on Blind Faith. There are some other keyboard moments of his that really stick out to me as well (the ending of Dystopian Overture for example) but BF may be the best overall.
My favorite KM solo is definitely 6:00. There's also an unreleased radio interview with a slow blues jam and he absolutely rocks it; same keyboard patch as 6:00 / Scarred. If you like KM's solos and haven't heard that one, it's absolutely worth a listen.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: January 31, 2017, 11:54:49 PM »
Honestly he should lower parts like that an octave. Especially for that 'I've heard the whispering of revolution' part of TA, he could put attitude and meaning into the words, instead of vaguely in tune barking  :huh:

The melody would be kept intact, the audience wouldn't be cringing and dogs wouldn't be dying. Wonder why they don't do it? Pride?

On the subject of Rudess changing keyboard parts, I couldn't wait for Blind Faith to be played live because of the splendid piano break. When they did eventually bring it back, have to say I was a little disappointed to hear Jordan play the break completely differently to the recorded version. It felt improvised and went nowhere near the melody of the original recording.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online krands85

« Reply #1334 on: February 01, 2017, 05:17:21 AM »
Dream Theater - Take the Time -  Live@Auditorium Parco della Musica Roma [1080p]

Hopefully this was just a bad night, they wouldn't have done it if he couldn't get those notes in rehearsal (even in e flat)

I hate it when Jordan takes liberty with Kevin's solos.  They shouldn't be that difficult to replicate. 
I think he just likes to mix things up a bit - he played the TTT solo perfectly at the 'Rudess Experiment' show after Kevin left the band for example. For some reason, he seems to prefer to alter this particular solo a lot more than others. It's a shame because it's one of my favourite DT moments.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1335 on: February 01, 2017, 05:29:31 AM »
I just can't understand why they're still playing with a click track. (Listen to the backing tracks, for example in the chorus to Take The Time.) It's actually quite off putting to me.
Also, that TTT verse sounds horrendous. There's no way he'll ever be able to reach all the way to the correct notes. And it's not at all an insult to him - that verse is insane and they should change it. Either by going an octave down or by changing the melody.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1336 on: February 01, 2017, 05:39:24 AM »
Dream Theater - Take the Time -  Live@Auditorium Parco della Musica Roma [1080p]

Hopefully this was just a bad night, they wouldn't have done it if he couldn't get those notes in rehearsal (even in e flat)

I hate it when Jordan takes liberty with Kevin's solos.  They shouldn't be that difficult to replicate. 
I think he just likes to mix things up a bit - he played the TTT solo perfectly at the 'Rudess Experiment' show after Kevin left the band for example. For some reason, he seems to prefer to alter this particular solo a lot more than others. It's a shame because it's one of my favourite DT moments.

I love when he adds his finesse to it. Twenty-five years later, I think it's good to change it up a bit sometimes. We've all heard it countless times as it was originally written.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1337 on: February 01, 2017, 06:20:24 AM »
I also hate when Rudess changes solos, specially KM's, which have the best melodies IMO.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1338 on: February 01, 2017, 06:31:20 AM »
The negativity is strong in this thread, gheez.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1339 on: February 01, 2017, 06:37:39 AM »

No kidding. I get everyone has an opinion and different likes and what not but come on...... the old adage 'if you don Have anything good to say don't say anything at all' is an adage for a reason.

These guys bust their butts to give us something cool and then get roasted for any small detail that doesn't fit one particular persons paradigm of how it 'should' be.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1340 on: February 01, 2017, 06:45:57 AM »
I´d pay to see this tour if they came to South America. I skipped TA.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1341 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »

No kidding. I get everyone has an opinion and different likes and what not but come on...... the old adage 'if you don Have anything good to say don't say anything at all' is an adage for a reason.

These guys bust their butts to give us something cool and then get roasted for any small detail that doesn't fit one particular persons paradigm of how it 'should' be.

Well, lots of people enjoy particular snippets of some songs specially, as I do with some KM solos, for instance, but I don't think any of us are NOT going to a gig because of this. We can freely complain, though, it is a forum and everyone is allowed to give his/her respectful opinion.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1342 on: February 01, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Well, lots of people enjoy particular snippets of some songs specially, as I do with some KM solos, for instance, but I don't think any of us are NOT going to a gig because of this. We can freely complain, though, it is a forum and everyone is allowed to give his/her respectful opinion.

You absolutely can, I'm also free to share my observation that there is a lot of negativity in this thread  :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1343 on: February 01, 2017, 09:02:50 AM »
I could totally chime in on any of those criticism, and in fact entirely agree, but I have, maybe over the last 4 years, learned that you just have take DT for what they are. James isn't gonna hit those high notes magically, JR isn't gonna play a captivating live solo suddenly, and MM isn't going to break into a loose shuffle. Once you get over that, living is much easier. I for one plan to see them when they come around in Boston, and will enjoy the show. For what it is.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1344 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
Hey, I balanced mine out with a compliment!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1345 on: February 01, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »
I could totally chime in on any of those criticism, and in fact entirely agree, but I have, maybe over the last 4 years, learned that you just have take DT for what they are. James isn't gonna hit those high notes magically, JR isn't gonna play a captivating live solo suddenly, and MM isn't going to break into a loose shuffle. Once you get over that, living is much easier. I for one plan to see them when they come around in Boston, and will enjoy the show. For what it is.

This pretty much nails it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1346 on: February 01, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
On an entirely different note, I was just watching this video:

https://youtu.be/IQOgIvQHSA4

From the 8:00 mark on, when JLB does the end of PMU ... this might just be bad angle or something, but he looks kinda unhealthy in that snippet.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1347 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »

From the 8:00 mark on, when JLB does the end of PMU ... this might just be bad angle or something, but he looks kinda unhealthy in that snippet.

Either that, or the days when he looked SUPER bored on stage (the last two tours with Portnoy) are back.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1348 on: February 01, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »

Idk about that.. But JM's ghost appearing in MM's face at 7:23, now that's creepy!.. :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Evai

« Reply #1349 on: February 01, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
It feels a bit wrong to analyze a phone clip from a concert, this is why they didn't want cameras at the TA tour.... BUT ITS JUST SO FUN

In the Another Day clips, who is that singing the 'you won't find it here' harmony? It doesn't sound like Labrie or JP...

EDIT: I think it's Labrie from the original recording, but pitch shifted down a half step so he sounds deeper
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:39:59 PM by Evai »
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1350 on: February 01, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »

This pretty much nails it.

Damn right.

I think the set list is pretty great overall.  The only two songs in there I like instead of love are The Dark Eternal Night and As I Am, and those are two great live tunes, so I'd say that is pretty great once you ignore the lack of Awake tunes. :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1351 on: February 01, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
:lol  Even if I were as big an Awake fan as you are, given the treatment they gave it on the last album tour cycle, I think the lack of representation here can be forgiven.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1352 on: February 01, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
For sure.  They have played eight of the 11 Awake songs since Mangini joined the band, so I have no beef with them in regards to how much love they've given Awake this decade.  :coolio

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1353 on: February 01, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
They haven't played the best track on Awake though.. Meaning: the instrumental.. :heart

Looking forward to see it some day, as well as at least one song of my favorite album, which I still find hard to believe that I haven't seen any of those 7 masterpieces.. It's the only album from which I didn't see any of its songs live!, and they have played, since I started to go see them (2010) AIA and ItNoG in the BC&SL tour, and ES and AIA several times with MM; but in none of them did they come here.. Even more: ItNoG was actually played the previous night that BC&SL show.. :facepalm:

But then again, I did witness LALP and then the best concert of my life in 2014 with this same little band, so I can't complain at all.. :metal
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1354 on: February 01, 2017, 06:07:14 PM »
Mangini's tweet last January 30 has a piece of good news:

"Will hit most continents with this tour. Feel like every muscle in my body got hit with a kid's plastic baseball bat. Change of Seasons=Fun."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:31:51 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1355 on: February 01, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
Antrarctica Tour!  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #1356 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »
Hopefully Mangini meant an Aus tour

EDIT: Sorry Mike! I didn't mean to get your name wrong
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:36:26 AM by NOMAC2107 »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1357 on: February 01, 2017, 10:11:01 PM »
 :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1358 on: February 02, 2017, 06:47:07 AM »
Guys I'm back from the Rome concert at last (the tour premiere)
I have to say, it was far less "pretentious" and more fun and humble than the last time i saw them (AFTR tour). I love that the variations are back and that everyone had a solo spot. The setlist was killer, the band was killer and man, I swear, those light shows get better each tour. I love what they did with the backdrop!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1359 on: February 02, 2017, 07:59:24 AM »
Guys I'm back from the Rome concert at last (the tour premiere)
I have to say, it was far less "pretentious" and more fun and humble than the last time i saw them (AFTR tour). I love that the variations are back and that everyone had a solo spot. The setlist was killer, the band was killer and man, I swear, those light shows get better each tour. I love what they did with the backdrop!

Was it better than video screens? I have to say when I first saw it I hated it but the more I watch the videos the more I'm starting to like t!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1360 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
The AFTR tour had my favorite visuals so far. The colors were awesome and the backdrop really fit everything well.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1361 on: February 02, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
Just trying to think what I would do for the first set instead, keeping the established parameters (no overly difficult songs for James which leaves out Erotomania/Voices instead of Hell's Kitchen). I'd probably go something like this:

Bridges in the Sky or Beyond This Life (heavy, energetic opener)
The Bigger Picture or Surrender to Reason (the unplayed DT12 song)
YtseJam or Erotomania w/o Voices (instrumental replacing HK)
The Gift of Music (TA song#1)
A New Beginning (TA song#2, replacing ALLB)
Our New World (TA song#3)
Wither or Disappear (ballad spot)
Constant Motion (heavy song, would love to see what MM would do with that instrumental section)
The Great Debate (epic set 1 closer spot, would have gone ITNoG but it has difficult vocal sections; other candidates would be LNF or Endless Sacrifice) 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1362 on: February 02, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
Just trying to think what I would do for the first set instead, keeping the established parameters (no overly difficult songs for James which leaves out
Constant Motion (heavy song, would love to see what MM would do with that instrumental section)

See it now :biggrin:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fPY9PPB2E
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1363 on: February 02, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
Here's my .02 (which no one asked for, but I'm giving it anyway) - The performance of I&W (I am listening to YouTube highlights of it now from Rome) is what I expected. And if I was there, in the moment, it would have been amazing (and I hope to be if they bring it stateside).

But removed from that, and just listening on headphones to it isolated from the experience, yeah, James isn't spot-on. So what though? He recorded those songs 25 years ago. He's damn good, given that material, at this stage of his career and life. Listen to other singers who have extremely long TOURING careers that sing in the same genre -- most can't come near what James is doing with that high stuff 25+ years removed.

Ray Alder from Fates Warning is one of my favorite singers -- he doesn't even bother doing the high stuff on tour any longer from No Exit or Perfect Symmetry. He can hit it in spots sure, but not consistently. So he just does what he does. Geoff Tate -- well, we all know his voice was last quality probably in 2005 opening for Priest. He hasn't been the same since...and even then, they dropped the old songs a half-step and he cut notes.

The bottom line is -- James is singing an incredible difficult record live in its entirety, and doing a 2+ hour show every night. I may have been more critical if the effort wasn't there (see Tate, circa 2007-present) to sing and hold notes. But James is putting in the effort. And I'm pretty thankful, as a fan of Dream Theater's mostly past work (apologies to fans of the post-ToT material), that James is still out there and doing a pretty damn good job.

I'm not a musician, but I don't think DT has dropped the tuning on these at all. And for James to come out and do what he's doing -- crazy amount of respect. Unlike musicians who play mechanical instruments, James is dependent on nature to make his instrument work. It ages, it gets impacted by the weather, sickness, etc. And for him to come out belting it out as best he can, 25 years later? Come on, if you don't put your first in the air in respect, WTH?

Sure, there are flaws. So what? I personally would prefer if DT dropped the songs a half-step, or even a full step if needed (and if the song still sounds good), and let James sing it more comfortably. It doesn't work on everything of course (Tesla has royally screwed up some older songs by doing that), but on the ones that it does, DO IT.

Anyway, that's a thread for another day. Just want to say -- criticism is valid. But James deserves a ton of respect for going out there and singing songs he recorded a QUARTER CENTURY ago. I mean, that's like Tate coming out and doing all of the EP and the Warning in 2008. Had he tried that, he would have sounded atrocious. Labrie should be applauded.

Here's hoping this tour comes stateside. bosk1 and I will sing harmony on the difficult stuff for JLB from the front row and help him out while rocking out.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1364 on: February 02, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
bosk1 and I will sing harmony on the difficult stuff for JLB from the front row and help him out while rocking out.  :metal
Maybe, if they tune it down for me.  :lol 

But, yes, they are bringing it to the U.S.  They've already confirmed that.  They just haven't said when.  We'll know soon enough, I'm sure.

It's too bad they don't have enough of a following to play closer to home.  I think the last time they played up here was with Queensryche.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."