Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148644 times)

Offline jsbru

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #910 on: January 17, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »
1. Well that solidifies my guess that it's not on 6DOIT, because everything but TGD has not been played since MM joined, except for scattered parts of 6DOIT (but not the song as a whole).

I guess if I go album to album (using data from setlist.fm)

If it's on Octavarium, it's either PA or TW, because nothing else has been played with MM exceot for TROAE, but they opened with that before.  Each could be described as a "monster" track due to either heaviness or length, and the former is really a crowd pleaser, but TW doesn't really fit in this category.  PA is not really all that remarkable as an opener, and they may have even opened with it before.

Could be Forsaken, CM, or TDEN from SC.  ITPOE hasn't been played by MM.  The rest are not crowd pleasers.  TDEN is the most likely to be considered a "monster" track of the three due to heaviness and lyrics.  I don't know if the other two have ever opened a set before.

On TOT, Endless Sacrifice does sort of check all the boxes, it's been played a lot, it's long enough to be monstrous by length, and at least to my knowledge, has not been used as an opener.  I think it's the next best guess from TDEN.  As I Am has also been played a lot, but it's been used as an opener.  Everything else from this album pre-dates the Mangini days.

They've played everything from Awake too much for me to look up which ones they've opened with before, but I don't think they've ever done so with Scarred, which is on my "good guess" list.  Also, other than tracks 3-5, they've played this whole album in the Mangini era, so it's hard to guess which other one it might be from this album. TSM and SDV are not monster in any way, and LSOAD isn't really either, so you can knock those off, too.  6:00 not unusual for an opener. I previously said it could be CIAW due to Epica having an identically-named song. So it could be tracks 2, 7, 8, and 10 off this album.

ADTOE is just too hard to narrow down, because it's all been played during the Mangini days.  BITS has been used as an opener, and OTBOA is not remarkable as an opener in any way.  But there's two good crowd-pleaser choices from this album in BAI and Outcry.  And Outcry hasn't been played all that recently (2011 was the last time).

SFAM is probably the hardest to guess, since a lot of it has been played since MM has joined the band, and there's too many songs for me to check if they are the opener.

For FII, ToT fits the bill.  So does Peruvian Skies, but that strikes me as a good opener, and they might have even opened with it before (they've played it too many times for me to look it up.  But it also has the "monster" lyric, and we know there's a FII track in the set somewhere.

Best guesses given the above, in order of what I think, are TDEN, Endless Sacrifice, Breaking All Illusions, Scarred, CIAW, Trial of Tears, or something from SFAM that they haven't opened with yet.

Of all of these, the only one I see any significant relationship with to Epica is CIAW due to song name.  It doesn't strike me as an unusual opener, though.
  I guess it doesn't have to do with an individual song name or lyrics.  I think I'd probably take CIAW off then.

IOW, I'm still confused.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:35:58 PM by jsbru »
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #911 on: January 17, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
Have they opened with The Ytse Jam before?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #912 on: January 17, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
Well, back to the Epica clue, it has to do with the fact that I was listening to that particular band after listening to Dream Theater.  It's Epica after Dream Theater that is the clue.  Song names, lyrics, etc. are not relevant.  Only the timing is relevant.  That clue alone doesn't narrow down the specific song, and doesn't necessarily narrow it down to the specific album, but it does help in significantly narrowing it down to a much smaller set of albums.  And then your other deductive reasoning strands can probably narrow it down from there to a very small set of songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #913 on: January 17, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »
Enigma Machine
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #914 on: January 17, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
:faceplam:

...when the facepalm is so severe that you can't even spell it right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #915 on: January 17, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
To sort of restate the principle behind the clue in your #6:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=28146.msg1102967#msg1102967

Kind of out of topic, but thanks for sharing this thread. It's awesome  :lol
It's just unfortunate that it never came to a proper end.

As for the clue, I have no idea other than it could be one of their epic since you can't spell Epica without it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #916 on: January 17, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »
:faceplam:

...when the facepalm is so severe that you can't even spell it right.

That's called a :kingplam:

Just a shot as Enigma is in one of their album titles.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:21:09 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #917 on: January 17, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
bosk, do you not have any ELP album?  :huh:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #918 on: January 17, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »
Song names, lyrics, etc. are not relevant.  Only the timing is relevant.

I'm guessing this means that you don't sort songs by song title.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #919 on: January 17, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »
So then if your songs were all organized in alphabetical order on your playlist (which I think someone mentioned), with the artist name first followed by the song name, and you don't have a ton of bands on there, you might have been listening to Ytse Jam.

Which would definitely give me a double-take as an opener.

All the other stuff at the end of DT's song list alphabetically either doesn't fit, or is on I&W.

I guess it is pretty "monster" in a way.

Even so, it's hard to believe it survived the entire duration of Mike Portnoy's rotating set-lists without ever being used as an opener.  I tend to discount the odds of their earlier stuff meeting that criterion for just this reason.  But perhaps simply opening up without the full band is just the quirk this song needed to survive all that without being the opener.

Then again, as I randomly peruse their setlists, it seems like they opened with Metropolis Pt. 1 basically every show for their first 7 years.  And Ytse Jam basically got close to zero play during the rotating setlist days.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #920 on: January 17, 2017, 06:26:31 PM »
It's Finally Free.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #921 on: January 17, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
bosk, do you not have any ELP album?  :huh:
Nope.  But I can tell by this question and the next that you definitely get it.
Song names, lyrics, etc. are not relevant.  Only the timing is relevant.

I'm guessing this means that you don't sort songs by song title.
Nope.  My work computer has Windows Media Player.  I have not modified the settings.  It sorts by artist, then album within the artist, alphabetically.

I have never listened to When Dream and Day Unite at work.

Good questions.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #922 on: January 17, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
Bosk, what did you listen to after Epica? Nightwish?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #923 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
I don't remember.  But I have two Epica albums loaded.  One is a double album, and the other is a triple (Retrospect), so I doubt I got through them all.  :lol  But if I did, Fates Warning would have been next.  Then Flotsam.  :metal

Offline jsbru

« Reply #924 on: January 17, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
If the alphabetical theme is right and you don't have DT's entire catalog on your playlist, I suppose Trial of Tears and This is the Life could qualify.

TOT is sort of a monster mini-epic.  TITL has the "monster" lyric.  Both are sort of unusual as openers, but TITL hasn't been played all that much (just on the tour that spurned LALP).  It's hard to forget that tour, because that's where the video cuts to that super-hot DT chick singing along. Nevertheless, I wouldn't put it in the fan favorite category, even though I like it a lot.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #925 on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
???  Really?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #926 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:15 PM »
No, it's alphabetical by albums, so Train Of Thought is last, meaning it's either Stream Of Consciousness or In The Name Of God.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #927 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »
  Then Flotsam.  :metal

:metal

If the alphabetical theme is right and you don't have DT's entire catalog on your playlist, I suppose Trial of Tears and This is the Life could qualify.

How are you figuring the alphabetical theme?
Dream Theater
Epica
F.....song starts with an F

...or the album starts with an F
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:48:52 PM by TAC »

Offline jsbru

« Reply #928 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »
No, it's alphabetical by albums, so Train Of Thought is last, meaning it's either Stream Of Consciousness or In The Name Of God.

Yeah, I didn't see that until after I posted my post.

Nevertheless, both of the songs you list here haven't been played by Mangini (unless setlist.fm is wrong), so...

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #929 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »

Yeah, if your logic is correct, you kind of have to guess at which albums I have loaded on my work computer.  But if your logic is correct, then even without knowing, you could still narrow it down to a few.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #930 on: January 17, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
Well now that opens up a couple of possibilities.  One of which has already been guessed.  Another has not been guessed.  I find this second possibility pretty hilarious, but I also find it hard to believe that Bosk doesn't have that album on his work computer.  But he said it has been guessed, so...

It follows in a narrative sense from the end of TA, but it's not really a great choice for an opener.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #931 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
Okay, so neither SOC or ITNOG have been played live, the next album back in alphabetical order is Systematic Chaos, but neither TMOLS or ITPOE have been played live by Mangini either.

Then there's SDOIT, which is greater than 25 minutes.

Then there's Octavarium, in which neither SS or the title track have been played live by Mangini.

EDIT: Actually, Octavarium HAS been played live with Mangini, so this could actually still be a possibility!

Then Metropolis II, which means it could be TDOE, OLT, TSCO or FF, & being one of DT's most highly regarded albums, I find it hard to believe that bosk wouldn't have this on his computer.

One Last Time hasn't been played live with Mangini, but the other three have, & all three could be considered crowd-pleasers. TSCO may have been opened with, but I'm not sure, & it's also the only one of the three that maybe isn't a "monster track".

That leaves TDOE & FF. Personally speaking, I don't think Finally Free would work well as an opener at all, so, like I said before
My bets on TDOE.

That could also be why bosk said he was "listening to it now" when we were discussing possibilities, because he was listening to an argument that was bound to go on forever.  :lol (Edit: this pun could also be applied to Octavarium too)

also ninja'd  :P

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:20:53 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #932 on: January 17, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
I reckon its Panic Attack then by what has been said so far

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #933 on: January 17, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
I reckon its Panic Attack then by what has been said so far

What makes you say that?

Offline Jinx

« Reply #934 on: January 17, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »
Well from what bosk said:

It has been played recently - 2015 on the 30th anniversary tour
It has been played fairly often since release - in fact according to setlist.fm it has been played each year since 05 (bar a 4 year window between 2011 and 2014)
Its a crowd favourite

Also he was listening to it at 3:58 (this one is a grasp at straws  :facepalm: )

EDIT: Its also a "monster" track in that its just damn brutal and heavy

2nd EDIT: Maybe bosk listened to PA, Never Enough and Sacrificed Sons (thats 8VM album order) before moving onto Epica - what length do those 3 songs equal?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:38:31 PM by Jinx »

Offline jsbru

« Reply #935 on: January 17, 2017, 07:37:40 PM »
Okay, so neither SOC or ITNOG have been played live, the next album back in alphabetical order is Systematic Chaos, but neither TMOLS or ITPOE have been played live by Mangini either.

Then there's SDOIT, which is greater than 25 minutes.

Then there's Octavarium, in which neither SS or the title track have been played live by Mangini.

Then Metropolis II, which means it could be TDOE, OLT, TSCO or FF, & being one of DT's most highly regarded albums, I find it hard to believe that bosk wouldn't have this on his computer.

He would have to be listening to the end of TDOE when he posted, but it does fall within what's possible with that time frame.  Of the four listed, it's probably the most "monster."  All four would be unusual as openers, for different reasons.  And any song from that album has been played enough that it probably wouldn't catch your eye at first.

However, OLT has not been played with Mangini yet.  It really depends on whether he posted when he just started listening to Epica, or whether he posted sometime into that album.

Anyhow, we don't know what albums he has on his work computer, and a lot of otherwise good guesses come at/near the ends of albums (Scarred, Trial of Tears, BAI).  Of course, two of those are from albums that start with "A", so if that's a clue, it's not much of a clue at all.  :D

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #936 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
Anyway, I'm not asking for more clues, because to narrow it down from here would simply give it away.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jinx

« Reply #937 on: January 17, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Bosk can you please tell me, when the curtain drops and the band starts, will the first thing we hear be a 7 second bass intro?

Offline jsbru

« Reply #938 on: January 17, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »

That leaves TDOE & FF. Personally speaking, I don't think Finally Free would work well as an opener at all, so, like I said before
My bets on TDOE.

That would fill the "it's already been guessed" category.  But the other two possibilities were also already guessed.  So that one doesn't narrow it down, either.

I'd say your guess has to be the odds-on favorite at this point, though.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #939 on: January 17, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
Nope.  My work computer has Windows Media Player.  I have not modified the settings.  It sorts by artist, then album within the artist, alphabetically.

I have never listened to When Dream and Day Unite at work.

Good questions.  :tup

That's the default WMP setting? I thought it is just alphabetical by albums regardless of the artist, which is how my WMP runs. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #940 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
My bets on TDOE.

Remember Bosk also thought that about the opener as well.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #941 on: January 17, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
Yeah, but TDOE would also be weird as an opener for the same reason Ytse Jam would.  Opening the set without the full band.  You see that name and at first think "of course, they've played that a lot," but it might not sink in that it's an instrumental until someone makes you look at it again.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #942 on: January 17, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »
What clue leads you to believe it could be an instrumental? Ytsejam is not what I consider a "monster" track.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #943 on: January 17, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »
What clue leads you to believe it could be an instrumental? Ytsejam is not what I consider a "monster" track.

No clue...it's just a coincidence that my interpretation of the existing clues (rightly or wrongly) has lead me to two different instrumentals.

And then any instrumental would also qualify it for being unusual as an opener, so it's specifically (but not exclusively) consistent with that clue.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jinx

« Reply #944 on: January 17, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
So if bosk was listening to PA then carried on through NE and SS that is 25 minutes give or take a second.

I'm saying its Panic Attack