Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148540 times)

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #805 on: January 09, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »
Well, I only prefer the paramount for convenience.  I live in Suffolk County.   I've only seen it on TV.    Haven't been there.     But I used to play at two places near it!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: January 09, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »
Well, I only prefer the paramount for convenience.  I live in Suffolk County.   I've only seen it on TV.    Haven't been there.     But I used to play at two places near it!

True, yea Paramount is a bit too far out in LI for me although if it were a weekend or something then I could make it work.  But if we are really talking convenience, I would love to see DT comes to the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank NJ again.  That venue is actually perfect size for them IMO. 

• No Day But Today
« Reply #807 on: January 09, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
if I think off the top of my head, here are the places I have seen DT:

Sparks!!    Total dump!!  Loved it!!
Malibu
Mulcahys
The Manhattan Center   (Damn the Machine opened - great album!)
Roseland?   (Did I see them at roseland?)
Somewhere in Old Bridge NJ  (with Big Wreck)

I know I'm forgetting something
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: January 09, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
If you saw them in Old Bridge than that was probably the Birch Hill, RIP.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #809 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »
Yup!  That was it!     I think I saw them with Big Wreck twice, maybe it was two consecutive nights

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #810 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
I think it'd be a fatal tragedy to tell everyone what the opener is

You can imagine the lights go out, False Awakening Suite plays, curtain raises...

"Alone at night, I feel so strange..."

:yarr

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
Well, I only prefer the paramount for convenience.  I live in Suffolk County.

Me too! 

On related note, I was wondering if the DT guys would consider inviting Kevin Moore to make an appearance at the I&W show in NY.  Who knows, Kevin might feel differently about appearing now that Portnoy is gone.  If that happened, it would be the bomb diggity.     
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #812 on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »

You can imagine the lights go out, False Awakening Suite plays, curtain raises...

That wouldn't be bad at all!

I'm so excited. There are still more than two weeks away, but I'm already pumped! It's gonna be my second DT gig, and I picked really cool spots this time!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Jinx

« Reply #813 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »
Personally from the hints we've been given I am leaning towards The Dark Eternal Night. Not a usual opener, but would get the crowd going from the off! Plus I would love to see it live!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #814 on: January 12, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »
Either TDEN or TMW/FT would be amazing openers. I'm not going to see any concerts (don't live in Europe or Asia or US), but I'm also very excited to see the setlist they're playing, hope to see many clips on youtube after the first couple shows  :D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #815 on: January 12, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »
Interesting guesses.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #816 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »

I'm so excited. There are still more than two weeks away, but I'm already pumped! It's gonna be my second DT gig, and I picked really cool spots this time!

Are you by any chance seeing them on January 31?..

Because -little story- : my brother and his gf (both argentinians, like me) are going to Europe for the first time in their lives for three weeks between this and the next month.. So, my brother couldn't miss the oportunity to see DT outside the country, even more giving that he missed the show in the Luna Park last year, and he's seeing them in Rome on that date.. :metal
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #817 on: January 12, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
Because -little story- : my brother and his gf (both argentinians, like me) are going to Europe for the first time in their lives for three weeks between this and the next month.. So, my brother couldn't miss the oportunity to see DT outside the country, even more giving that he missed the show in the Luna Park last year, and he's seeing them in Rome on that date.. :metal

Oh, man, I wish I was able to do the same thing and visit near countries like Argentina, Chile or Brazil. Looks like we (Peruvian fans) won't ever get another DT show and the saddest part is that it isn't necessarily because of the band's management decisions, but because of how terrible the music business is here  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jinx

« Reply #818 on: January 12, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
Interesting guesses.

Interesting reply.  :hat

Well done for not giving the game away though bosk, God knows if I was given info like that I would be sharing all day  :blush

Offline IDontNotDoThings

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #820 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Personally from the hints we've been given I am leaning towards The Dark Eternal Night. Not a usual opener, but would get the crowd going from the off! Plus I would love to see it live!!
Well, IMO it's the worst DT song ever (with Raw Dog) so starting the gig with TDEN would not be cool for me. And starting the setlist with a song from Systematic Chaos which is not the most loved album ever would be strange. Fatal Tragedy would be cool and unexpected (and Mangini has already played the song).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Jinx

« Reply #821 on: January 13, 2017, 07:06:53 AM »
Its a live crowd favourite.
They've played it before.
Its not a song they have opened with before.
 :metal
Also they CAN'T play a song from their most loved album because they are playing the whole of it in the 2nd set  ;D

EDIT: get what you were trying to say now about SC. Nevermind haha

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #822 on: January 13, 2017, 07:14:40 AM »

Are you by any chance seeing them on January 31?..

Oh man that's great! Unfortunately I'll see them on the 30th, so we won't be able to meet  :-\

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #823 on: January 13, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
I'm also one of the biggest non-fans of The Dark Eternal Night, I'll go in resigned at the idea that it's the opener so if it's not that, all the better  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #824 on: January 13, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
Well, I've stayed away from further hints for the time being because, for the DT12 song, I've given you a 50/50 shot, and for 3 other songs, I've given enough hints to have given those away to the point that, although I haven't confirmed it, all three have been guessed correctly by people in this thread.  So, 4 non-I&W songs have been hinted at and guessed.

I will say again, though, for the vast majority of fans, even if you somehow found nothing else to like in the rest of the set, I&W and the encore alone will make you VERY happy you went.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #825 on: January 13, 2017, 08:32:17 AM »
Bosk, can you tell us the rough number of non-I&W songs or is it off limits?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #826 on: January 13, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
Oh, gosh, I don't remember.  Rather than try to reconstruct the entire thing from memory, I'll just say this:  While I didn't sit there and calculate the set length, it appeared to be about "normal" for their "evening with" sets.  There is one mega-epic.  The rest of the songs are "typical" DT-length songs.  So...probably around 8-10 other songs or so.  Off the top of my head, I am specifically remembering 6 non-I&W songs, not including the ones from The Astonishing, and I feel like I am forgetting one. 

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #827 on: January 13, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
That's awesome bosk1. Thanks for the hints !
I was wondering when we can expect the I&W north anerican dates ? They announced via social media that they would be announced soon , and that was about 18 days ago . If you can't answer it's not a big deal , I was just wondering since I'll be away in Australia and the time difference is 14 hours and I don't want to miss out

Thanks 🤘

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #828 on: January 13, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
I don't know the timing of the announcement for those dates.  At the time when I spoke to JP and Maddi about it, they had just finalized the plans for the Europe tour and were in discussions about whether they could bring it to the U.S.  JP told me they were leaning toward making it happen, but not to say anything because it wasn't "officially" a go yet.  It wasn't long after that before they announced it.  But I haven't spoken to them since because they were busy wrapping up the tour, planning on taking time off with their families for the holidays, and then getting right into rehearsals.  Might be time to drop them a line and check on a couple of things though...

• No Day But Today
« Reply #829 on: January 13, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »

Me too! 

On related note, I was wondering if the DT guys would consider inviting Kevin Moore to make an appearance at the I&W show in NY.  Who knows, Kevin might feel differently about appearing now that Portnoy is gone.  If that happened, it would be the bomb diggity.   

I feel kinda dumb for not knowing anything about Heat between MP and Kevin Moore.    Can someone give me the short version?

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #830 on: January 13, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
I have a pretty big bet with my best friend over whether or not they'll play The Glass Prison - here's hoping!

Also, Bosk - were you told/shown what the visuals are gonna be like for this tour?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #831 on: January 13, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »

Me too! 

I feel kinda dumb for not knowing anything about Heat between MP and Kevin Moore.    Can someone give me the short version?
Kevin has never spoken about it, so we don't really know.  I think the speculation is that he just didn't care too much for Mike, and that that may have been a contributing factor in him leaving and not wanting to come back and work with them again.  But we don't know that to be the case. 

From Mike's side, as far as I know, he got along fine with Kev when Kev was in the band.  But during the Awake recording sessions, as you know, Kev became distant and withdrawn.  When he then abruptly left, I think Mike sort of took it personally and felt like it was not cool the way Kev left them stranded.  The lyrics to Raise The Knife are basically Mike venting his feelings about it.

It seems that he had somewhat gotten past it.  But then years later, when he tried a couple of times to get Kev to reunite with the band for a show, and Kev declined, it seems that Mike felt like Kev was snubbing the band, and his ill feelings toward Kev were given new life. 

That's my take on it.

I have a pretty big bet with my best friend over whether or not they'll play The Glass Prison - here's hoping!

Also, Bosk - were you told/shown what the visuals are gonna be like for this tour?

No, I have no idea about the visuals.  Sorry.  It could be that, after the pretty elaborate setup for The Astonishing, that they are scaling back the visuals to focus on the music.  Or the stuff they did for The Astonishing may have inspired some cool things for this tour.  Or something in between.  I have no idea.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:54:57 AM by bosk1 »

• No Day But Today
« Reply #832 on: January 13, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Thanks for the info Bosk - I think you said  I& W in one spot when you meant to say Awake.

When I first heard about the WDAD-RE-unite  show, I was kinda bummed that Kevin Moore wasn't there.

Everyone has their quirks and particular personality traits.  I've been in several bands. I understand.   If I tried today to get my main band to reform - if only to just jam - I know there's at least one person  (probably two) that would say "absolutely not" although I've never had harsh words with either of them.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #833 on: January 13, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »
No, I have no idea about the visuals.  Sorry.  It could be that, after the pretty elaborate setup for The Astonishing, that they are scaling back the visuals to focus on the music.  Or the stuff they did for The Astonishing may have inspired some cool things for this tour.  Or something in between.  I have no idea.

Honestly, for this tour, I'd be cool with a super-simple stage production, really clean with just one big video screen (like the one from the DT12 tour).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #834 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
Thanks for the info Bosk - I think you said  I& W in one spot when you meant to say Awake.

Oh, right.  Good catch.  Fixed.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #835 on: January 13, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »
About the visuals, I'm assuming some kind of intro video for Images and Words. Not that there HAS to be some fancy stuff, the music is all that matters, but it would feel plain to just turn out the lights again and then Pull Me Under starts.

Anyway, it's not that I exactly complained when they played half Awake and they started right off the bat with The Mirror  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #836 on: January 13, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
Yeah a video intro before the I&W portion of the set would be cool, but like I said, I feel like after TA tour, a stripped back super clean stage with a video screen would be more than enough and a nice change of pace.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #837 on: January 13, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
Well, I've stayed away from further hints for the time being because, for the DT12 song, I've given you a 50/50 shot, and for 3 other songs, I've given enough hints to have given those away to the point that, although I haven't confirmed it, all three have been guessed correctly by people in this thread.  So, 4 non-I&W songs have been hinted at and guessed.

I will say again, though, for the vast majority of fans, even if you somehow found nothing else to like in the rest of the set, I&W and the encore alone will make you VERY happy you went.

So the DT12 song (hopefully The Bigger Picture), A Change of Seasons, Dark Eternal Night aaaaaannd Fatal Tragedy (or These Walls)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: January 13, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
Yeah a video intro before the I&W portion of the set would be cool, but like I said, I feel like after TA tour, a stripped back super clean stage with a video screen would be more than enough and a nice change of pace.

Personally I don't see the point in going backwards with the visuals.  If DT has the equipment to put on a cool visual show to go with the music, they should do it.  Whether that is TA type of screens or DT12 types of screens or something different (please no ADTOE screens, I think those were my least favorite).  Unless DT plans on playing small clubs, they shouldn't go backwards with the stage show.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #839 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
Personally I don't see the point in going backwards with the visuals.  If DT has the equipment to put on a cool visual show to go with the music, they should do it.  Whether that is TA type of screens or DT12 types of screens or something different (please no ADTOE screens, I think those were my least favorite).  Unless DT plans on playing small clubs, they shouldn't go backwards with the stage show.

I hear you, but I don't know if I see it as "going backwards" more like just taking a different approach.