Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148747 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #770 on: January 05, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
Bosk can you say whether this will be one static setlist throughout? Or a couple that can be rotated (like on the ADTOE tour)
At least the way they had it planned, it is just a single set list.  Not that that couldn't change, but I don't think it will. 

I think that it's good if they downtune some songs.  I prefer that than seeing JLB struggle and sounding badly while trying to reach a high note.  And thank you Bosk for the explanation about the setlist.
Honestly, I don't see it happening unless James were to ask for them to do it.

No problem on the explanation.  More to follow.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #771 on: January 05, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Anyway, I'm stoked that to you the Images and Words part is not even the best one  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #772 on: January 05, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
I can't wait for the tour without an anniversary set or theme. Then we get a full on unknown of what they would play. I mean, it's cool they're doing this, but once the new album is done I hope that tour will be the one to have a full on random setlist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline onnet5

« Reply #773 on: January 06, 2017, 05:02:35 AM »
Got my tickets through - they say "Plus Special Guests" is this just a mistake/generic thing put on the ticket?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #774 on: January 06, 2017, 05:07:21 AM »
I would assume so.

Anyway, we've all heard the album a gazillion times that I was giving for granted how much it was overplayed in the setlists.

I've realized that I don't hear Pull Me Under and Surrounded since 2012, Metropolis since 2009, and the rest since 2007. So the whole album played live will actually be a rarity in my recent DT concerts history!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #775 on: January 06, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
Has Anyone considered the possibility of them opening with the I&W set, but play the album in REVERSE? If they're still in the WWRD mindset, they did that with the R40 tour. They played their discography backwards (new to old). That'd certainly be a new opener for them. And before someone says it, the reoccurrence of the WFS Melody in LTL does not mean they have to be played in the normal order. Other than that, there is no relation between the two songs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:32:03 PM by Laughingplace56 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #776 on: January 06, 2017, 04:29:52 PM »
No, they aren't doing that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #777 on: January 06, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
Is there any possibility that Dream Theater will be playing live somewhere off stage, or behind the stage, while an elaborate puppet show is presented on stage, miming the instruments?

If not, they should consider it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: January 06, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
Is there any possibility that Dream Theater will be playing live somewhere off stage, or behind the stage, while an elaborate puppet show is presented on stage, miming the instruments?

If not, they should consider it.

Explain why  :lol  Avenged Sevenfold should do that though

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #779 on: January 06, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »
I have no logical explanation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: January 06, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
Good enough for me

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #781 on: January 07, 2017, 04:46:58 AM »
The only order change that would make sense in I&W would be to have Metropolis as the opener. Playing it in reverse would be a terrible flow, to start up with Learning to Live and then have Wait for Sleep is just.... no.

Slightly off-topic, Metallica did that twice. They played the black album in reverse, and it made somehow sense to have the biggest hits like Sad But True and Enter Sandman at the end, but they played also Ride the Lightning in reverse, which was very weird 'cause Fight Fire with Fire is the perfect opener and The Call of Ktulu is the perfect closer.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #782 on: January 07, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
I don't think I&W as it is flows all that well live.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #783 on: January 07, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »

Probably if they just skip WfS it would flow a lot better.. :neverusethis:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #784 on: January 07, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
Have you seen it played that way?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #785 on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
Pretty sure I&W played in ANY order flows well live!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline craig1928

« Reply #786 on: January 07, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
I think it'd be a fatal tragedy to tell everyone what the opener is

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #787 on: January 07, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
The only order change that would make sense in I&W would be to have Metropolis as the opener.
Actually, that would make perfect sense since Metropolis was originally planned to be the opening song to IaW, and PMU the opening track to "side 2". But the higher ups wanted PMU to be the opening track and Metropolis opening "side 2". They also wanted IaW to be called "Dream Theater" which the band didn't want. So they came up with the compromise of leaving the album title as the band wanted it, but having PMU open the album.

Personally, I prefer Metropolis as the opening track to the album and to a live show, so I'd be perfectly happy if they did that. But it won't happen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #788 on: January 07, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »

Actually, that would make perfect sense since Metropolis was originally planned to be the opening song to IaW, and PMU the opening track to "side 2". But the higher ups wanted PMU to be the opening track and Metropolis opening "side 2". They also wanted IaW to be called "Dream Theater" which the band didn't want. So they came up with the compromise of leaving the album title as the band wanted it, but having PMU open the album.
That's interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #789 on: January 07, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »

That's interesting.

Wow, didn't know that..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #790 on: January 07, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
Have you seen it played that way?
Well there's the fan club CD from when they played it in 2008 or whatever. I agree with those saying that Metropolis is a better opener. Metropolis in the middle is the major thing for me, although I'm not sure where I'd have Pull Me Under or Under a Glass Moon.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #791 on: January 07, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
The only order change that would make sense in I&W would be to have Metropolis as the opener.

Personally, I prefer Metropolis as the opening track to the album and to a live show, so I'd be perfectly happy if they did that. But it won't happen.

Having to transition from Metropolis to Another Day would be quite jarring.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #792 on: January 07, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »
Moreso than Another Day following the abrupt ending of PMU? I disagree. Just did a playlist in iTunes swapping the two tracks, and honestly I think Metropolis is a much better lead into Another Day. Even in the live setting, I'd wager it would be better. But different strokes for different folks.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #793 on: January 07, 2017, 11:10:42 PM »
Moreso than Another Day following the abrupt ending of PMU? I disagree. Just did a playlist in iTunes swapping the two tracks, and honestly I think Metropolis is a much better lead into Another Day. Even in the live setting, I'd wager it would be better. But different strokes for different folks.
Agreed. It's a nice come down after the craziness of Metropolis. With Under a Glass Moon it just feels like they're kicking it up a notch. It's pretty cool on the album but maybe too exhausting live.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #794 on: January 08, 2017, 04:01:33 AM »
I never knew that Metropolis was meant to be the album opener, nor that the label wanted them to have a self-titled 20+ years before it actually happened. You're a living DT wiki Scotty  :hefdaddy

Online Mladen

« Reply #795 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:46 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, if an album flows well as you listen to it at home, it will flow just as well if you hear it live. There's no difference.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #796 on: January 08, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Perhaps, but as amazing and awesome as I&W is, I would never put it on a list of albums with amazing flow. It's more or less an album that is a collection of great songs, rather than an album that comes off as really having a specific flow, IMO, even if many of us might be used to the flow by now because of many listens.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #797 on: January 08, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
It's just 8 songs and, to make a grand simplification, three songs are "slow". There aren't many ways to rearrange 3 "normal" songs, 2 "epic" songs and 3 "slow" songs.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #798 on: January 08, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
I&W flows quite well. It's like a short concert

Rocking opener
Ballad after high energy
Upbeat long song
Slow things down again
EPIC
Fun song after the epicnesss
Short ballad leading to the
EPIC Closer.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #799 on: January 08, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
I've never had a problem with the flow of IaW.
Regardless, when you're playing a whole album live, it's expected to be in album order. People know it in album order, so they'll anticipate it in album order. If you break that expectation, people will be confused and possibly disappointed by not hearing the desired song next, even if you're getting to it later.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Evai

« Reply #800 on: January 08, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
Yeah... Once an album is released, the order of the songs is part of the musical journey. Even if the songs aren't technically related. Changing the order of IaW is akin to changing the order of TA or Scenes. It wouldn't be the album anymore.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #801 on: January 08, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
I've never had a problem with the flow of IaW.
Regardless, when you're playing a whole album live, it's expected to be in album order. People know it in album order, so they'll anticipate it in album order. If you break that expectation, people will be confused and possibly disappointed by not hearing the desired song next, even if you're getting to it later.
Yes, definitely don't think they should mess with the order. But I also think it's not comparable to Scenes or TA in that you could change the order without ruining the flow of the album. You might even improve it.

As far as I'm concerned, if an album flows well as you listen to it at home, it will flow just as well if you hear it live. There's no difference.
I disagree. Sequencing an album and putting together a live setlist are two different things. With an album you're looking at variables like putting more accessible songs toward the beginning, creating a certain atmosphere with the order of songs, having the right variation of dynamics/tempos. With a live setlist, much more emphasis is placed on maintaining the energy level of a live show. You also run into logistical things like which songs are smoothest to transition to. Back when Portnoy was writing the setlists he would place songs with the same alternate tunings together so JP would have one less guitar change. Sometimes a song is perfect to open the album but not as effective as an album opener. For an example of this, see the ADTOE tour when they opened with BITS and not Angels.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #802 on: January 09, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing New York dates.   Hopefully they will play the Paramount again.    It will be my first DT show since I think 1999 (when Big Wreck opened).     However, I did see them enough times in the 90's to last a lifetime!~
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #803 on: January 09, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing New York dates.   Hopefully they will play the Paramount again.    It will be my first DT show since I think 1999 (when Big Wreck opened).     However, I did see them enough times in the 90's to last a lifetime!~

The Paramount would be nice.  Was there for their last appearance there a few years back.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: January 09, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »

I really like the Beacon Theater for sound, but I enjoyed seeing them at Hammerstein Ballroom as well.  Mostly because Hammerstein has a general admission floor which I prefer since I like to stand and rock out.  Of course I would take Radio City again as well, but I don't see that happening for this tour.