Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148593 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #700 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
Backing track.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #701 on: December 30, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »
If they are gonna do a 15 min epic, I would prefer Illumination theory or TCOT over ANTR.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #702 on: December 30, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
If they are gonna do a 15 min epic, I would prefer Illumination theory or TCOT over ANTR.

Oh, but we were just talking about future tours.. Bosk said no song from BC&SL will be played in this IW&Beyond tour..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #703 on: January 02, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
I'd be insulted if they don't do this tour in the USA I have been wanting and praying they do this live since I never knew they existed back when it came out so I need to hear it live

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #704 on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
 I've seen all the songs from I&W throughout the 3 concerts i attended. Since they haven't played ACOS since the tour before i knew about them i'm just really hoping for that one..

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #705 on: January 02, 2017, 08:59:52 AM »
I'd be insulted if they don't do this tour in the USA I have been wanting and praying they do this live since I never knew they existed back when it came out so I need to hear it live

They announced on Facebook the other day that there will be USA dates posted soon, so keep an eye on it!
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #706 on: January 02, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
I've seen all the songs from I&W throughout the 3 concerts i attended. Since they haven't played ACOS since the tour before i knew about them i'm just really hoping for that one..

I've seen eight DT concerts over the years and have yet to see them play Learning to Live. Meanwhile, I've seen A Change of Seasons, Space Dye Vest twice and Lie and Lifting Shadows Off a Dream thrice.  How's that for strange? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #707 on: January 02, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
I've seen A Change of Seasons at my second DT concert ever and never since... and I got Images and Words in full 10 years ago. Still I won't miss this  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #708 on: January 02, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
Saw them play ACOS on the TOT tour, it was awesome!  Have yet to see them play Octavarium in its entirety. The played part of it (the Razors Edge) on the SC progessive nation tour..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #709 on: January 02, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »

I feel the same about hoping they tour in Montreal since I had no interest of their last tour.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Mladen

« Reply #710 on: January 03, 2017, 04:41:18 AM »
The three I&W songs that I've yet to see live are Another day, Take the time and Learning to live, so this could be the opportunity. Seems like there won't be any Eastern Europe dates, though, I think their popularity has dropped here and the crowds have been getting smaller over the years, so I don't have a good feeling about this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #711 on: January 03, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »
I always imagine that if they play ANtR now that Portnoy's gone, it should be Peter Wildoer, as a special gest, the one singing that section.. Just for the few that don't know this: James knows the guy... and I think he could simply ask him to do that, at least for some shows -e.g. while playing in Sweden and near there-, not the entire tour obviously..

(https://youtu.be/zI4OKUWPthU?t=296)

???  No.  I like Peter, but his screamy vocal style would not fit this song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #712 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
I always imagine that if they play ANtR now that Portnoy's gone, it should be Peter Wildoer, as a special gest, the one singing that section.. Just for the few that don't know this: James knows the guy... and I think he could simply ask him to do that, at least for some shows -e.g. while playing in Sweden and near there-, not the entire tour obviously..

(https://youtu.be/zI4OKUWPthU?t=296)

???  No.  I like Peter, but his screamy vocal style would not fit this song.

Yeah, I kind of I agree with that.. But I don't see James doing it.. And someone will have to.. A backing track would be a bad decision IMO..

Except they invite Portnoy just to sing that part.. Because that's very likely.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #713 on: January 03, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »
Why don't you see James doing it?  He sang it when they played it after Portnoy left.  There is no reason why he wouldn't if they ever played the song again (which I hope they eventually do, because it slays).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: January 03, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »
Yea, JLB singing that part will be fine IMO.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #715 on: January 03, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »
Why don't you see James doing it?  He sang it when they played it after Portnoy left.  There is no reason why he wouldn't if they ever played the song again (which I hope they eventually do, because it slays).

You mean at the drummer audition? We never got to see footage of that part from the auditions. I agree that James could do it (even better) with no problem.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #716 on: January 03, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »

You mean at the drummer audition? We never got to see footage of that part from the auditions. I agree that James could do it (even better) with no problem.

No.  Didn't they play it at the first couple of festival shows after Mangini joined?  Or am I thinking of TCOT?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: January 03, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »

No.  Didn't they play it at the first couple of festival shows after Mangini joined?  Or am I thinking of TCOT?

I think you are thinking TCOT.  I don't recall ANTR ever being played live by MM. 

But you also may be confusing the MP vocal lines from say TSF that were (to my limited knowledge and judgement from the BtFW) seemingly dubbed and sung by JP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #718 on: January 03, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »

You're thinking of TCOT  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8rmptU24e4

The only BC&SL songs they've played live since Mangini joined are TCOT, TSF and Wither.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #719 on: January 03, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »

You're thinking of TCOT  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8rmptU24e4

The only BC&SL songs they've played live since Mangini joined are TCOT, TSF and Wither.

Oh man I can't believe they only played half of the album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #720 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »
This is the only arrangement there is, guys.

10/10 would watch again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTn4U-0kT4I
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
This is the only arrangement there is, guys.

10/10 would watch again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTn4U-0kT4I

Oh man, I forgot how bad that was. Portnoy really needs to never growl like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
Well, I went through all the posts and hints before offering a setlist that has elements that could work:

This Is The Life
(other 'monster' tracks could be TDEN, Forsaken, or 'Enemies' part TWO….but I doubt it)
As I Am
These Walls or I Walk Beside You
Constant Motion
Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen/Burning My Soul
The Bigger Picture

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take The Time
Surrounded
Metropolis

intermission……yes, thinking way outside of the box

Under A Glass Moon
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live/The Crimson Sunset

(tape…'X aspect' bagpipes)
A New Beginning
The Enemy Inside
Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
the final two segments can alternate as ending the 'concert proper' and the encore

Saviour In The Square intro/Our New World
Solitary Shell/About To Crash/Grand Finale

Breaking All Illusions
The Razor's Edge

(or 'A Change of Seasons' 'Big Medley' ;))
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #723 on: January 04, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Wow, you guys are STILL trying to figure that out?  :lol

Okay, well, I'll say this, if it wasn't clear already:
-Some of The Astonishing will be played.  It isn't a lot.  But considering that it is their newest album, that should not be a surprise.  I honestly can't remember which tracks. 
-Of the two tracks from DT12 that have not been played thus far, one of them will be played.  Honestly, at this point, I'd tell you which one.  But I don't remember.  :lol

Also, the FII track is sorry, I won't tell you

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #724 on: January 04, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #725 on: January 04, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
JLB totally wouldn't divulge any info on the setlist to me.  He treated it like it was a state secret  :lol

He was totally cool about it, nicest guy in the world, he just wouldn't tell me anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: January 04, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
you should have Hefnotoad him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #727 on: January 04, 2017, 01:57:43 PM »
you should have Hefnotoad him.
Too many civilians around.

:hefnotoad:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #728 on: January 04, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
JLB totally wouldn't divulge any info on the setlist to me.  He treated it like it was a state secret  :lol

He was totally cool about it, nicest guy in the world, he just wouldn't tell me anything.

He was right. The setlist of a show is the equivalent of reading the fully synopsis on Wikipedia of a movie. It tells you everything that happens but just as a cold, clinical fact, without the emotion and excitement of actually seeing the whole thing.

Honestly, while it is culturally accepted that movie spoilers are a bad thing, I long for the time that we finally recognize that also concert spoilers are something to worry about.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: January 04, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
You don't have to worry about spoilers if you have self control.  I do not have self control.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #730 on: January 04, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but setlist spoilers are nowhere near movie spoilers. In fact, to me setlist spoilers aren't spoilers at all. It's like being handed the evening program when you walk into a classical concert.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #731 on: January 04, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »
You don't have to worry about spoilers if you have self control.  I do not have self control.

I do have self control. I'm actually paranoid about it  ;D when Iron Maiden started touring last year I stopped checking ANY of their videos on YouTube (to avoid suggestions, that are always recent), disabled notifications on FB groups about them, and stayed away from the topic about it on this forum.

This time around it will be a lot easier, just a few days of the tour and I'll already be seeing them in Milan so I'll just have to avoid this thread and the Concerts section for a week.

I can only speak for myself, but setlist spoilers are nowhere near movie spoilers. In fact, to me setlist spoilers aren't spoilers at all. It's like being handed the evening program when you walk into a classical concert.

I disagree speaking for myself as well, while I understand the comparison, to me a concert it's not a Winamp playlist performed by the actual musicians. It's a show, a performance, a presentation, it's the whole excitement and adrenaline rush of enjoying live music. I can forget about time (hard to forget that only 7 songs are missing when you know the setlist), I can hope for my favorite song to be played, I can listen in anticipation to the funny or witty introduction the singer is doing trying to figure out which song it is, and so on.

This especially in metal, and more specific with Dream Theater that have an "anything goes" attitude to setlists, so potentially any song could be played. It's not a boyband concert where everyone just want to hear the hits, and the hits is what they get.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: January 04, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Figure out the possible setlist?  Heck, no, though I know I nailed eight of the songs. ;)

A semi wish list of my own, that keeps things moving, and is under 3 hours.  Along with the intermission, as something different.  After all, they're playing I&W in its entirety.  No one said they had to play it without a break.  I could see them alternating it before/after the intermission.  Would keep things somewhat 'fresh' each night.

'The Glass Prison' could be the first tune after the LP.  For all we know, 'Bombay Vandaloo' can make an appearance.  I DO know that Susan Boyle's 'I Dreamed A Dream' won't be the taped intro (or will it?)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #733 on: January 04, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
There is an instrumental.  It is not Bombay Vandaloo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: January 04, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
I've always had a hard time controlling myself to avoid the setlist spoilers, but it depends on the band.  If it's one of my favorite bands, I typically don't want to know because the excitement of "what are they going to play next" is a legit awesome feeling when you hear the first chord and OMG they are playing this!  However, for bands I am not totally into I like to look at the set so I can get to listen to the songs before the show and have a feel for the band and the music presented towards me.